Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember when Descent first came out on PC and tons of people got sick from it. Same when mouselook controls became standard and FPS games became more 3d. I think people get used to that sort of "new technology" pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 15 "If Wishes Were Horses"

"Shore Leave" meets "The Naked Time." I'm going to be doing this all season, aren't I? Mostly I was (irrationally) disappointed that Rumplestiltskin wasn't Robert Carlyle.

Isn't this the episode where Rumplestiltskin was originally a leprechaun and then Colm Meaney, presumably remembering Up the Long Ladder, went to the producers, exclaimed "Are you loving kidding me?" and got it changed?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 15 "If Wishes Were Horses"

"Shore Leave" meets "The Naked Time." I'm going to be doing this all season, aren't I? Mostly I was (irrationally) disappointed that Rumplestiltskin wasn't Robert Carlyle.

I should probably amend this; it's less "The Naked Time" than it is TNG's "Liaisons." But my point still stands.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

I remember when Descent first came out on PC and tons of people got sick from it. Same when mouselook controls became standard and FPS games became more 3d. I think people get used to that sort of "new technology" pretty fast.

I dunno, some people react really poorly to VR, but a lot of resources is being poured into figuring out what causes this and mitigating the issues. As a personal anecdote, I don't even get slightly seasick or feel queasy from rollercoasters or any of that kind of equilibrium stuff, but after a couple of hours or so in VR I felt pretty drat strange after taking the goggles off, like being slightly hung-over for the next 60 minutes.. which isn't great for extended periods of play.

But speaking of Star Trek videogames that you can play today, there's a very well done total conversion mod for Stellaris called New Horizons that is actually really, really good and probably the best star trek strategy game to date.

It even has uniforms/ships/events that change as the timeline progresses, moving from TOS era ships to DS9-era through the course of the game

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

I heartily recommend it to anyone who owns the game (or plans to!)

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 8, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a fair point. I not so long ago saw the first season of the X-files, and I was surprised how well sorted the show was even in its initial episodes, and sorta wished the Treks could launch strong like that.

I usually make this kind of post about Twilight Zone, but X-Files was a very different beast in that it was a conscious attempt to combine the horror/sci-fi anthology series with the police procedural. As such, you basically have a whole new cast each episode (aside from the main two leads) and the focus is on an entirely new story each time out rather than a group of established characters getting into their latest wacky adventure.

Kibayasu posted:

Isn't this the episode where Rumplestiltskin was originally a leprechaun and then Colm Meaney, presumably remembering Up the Long Ladder, went to the producers, exclaimed "Are you loving kidding me?" and got it changed?

Someone who still has a copy the DS9 Companion can correct me, but I believe he had to explain that Ireland is not, in fact, a fairyland of thatched roofs and elves, and that he (and by implication, O'Brien) came from an urban, industrialized area. At least Memory Alpha has this great quote:

Michael Piller posted:

We had no idea there was any sensitivity to leprechauns in the Irish culture and certainly we did not want to force Colm Meaney to act with a leprechaun, but what the hell do you do after you've got a whole story structured around a leprechaun stealing a child?

The bubble Star Trek writers seemed to exist in at times was impressive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Whoever designed those Klingon wedding uniforms must have been cribbing from the ST VI Klingon outfits. They look a lot like the clothing Gorkon and Azetbur were wearing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

In many cases they get used to it by not using it any more. I know many people who can't even touch modern FPSes because they almost immediately get motion sick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would watch that episode a lot if Robert Carlyle was Rumpelstiltskin instead of never like I do now.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

After The War posted:

It's okay. They redeemed themselves by hiring Jamake Highwater, Native American, as a cultural consultant.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Bohemian Nights posted:

I dunno, some people react really poorly to VR, but a lot of resources is being poured into figuring out what causes this and mitigating the issues. As a personal anecdote, I don't even get slightly seasick or feel queasy from rollercoasters or any of that kind of equilibrium stuff, but after a couple of hours or so in VR I felt pretty drat strange after taking the goggles off, like being slightly hung-over for the next 60 minutes.. which isn't great for extended periods of play.

But speaking of Star Trek videogames that you can play today, there's a very well done total conversion mod for Stellaris called New Horizons that is actually really, really good and probably the best star trek strategy game to date.

It even has uniforms/ships/events that change as the timeline progresses, moving from TOS era ships to DS9-era through the course of the game

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

I heartily recommend it to anyone who owns the game (or plans to!)

Stellaris is also the early unlock for next month's Humble Bundle monthly, so you can get it for $12 right now. Along with some other games that you may or may not want that will unlock in June.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

After The War posted:

vermin posted:

It's okay. They redeemed themselves by hiring Jamake Highwater, Native American, as a cultural consultant.

Boy, it takes a bit of the flavor out of a bold examination of humanity's future once it becomes abundantly clear the writers haven't examined humanity's past or present.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It was bizarre how they kept the same writing staff on for years and years, while you have things like staff writers being assigned a movie script and trying to get out from doing it. In Hollywood. They couldn't find someone who wanted to write the script for insurrection. In Hollywood.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"This is a cool episode idea, but why do you want me to write this? I thought the next generation was cancelled."
"No, this is going to be a feature length movie."
:yikes:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"This is a cool episode idea, but why do you want me to write this? I thought the next generation was cancelled."

I really wish someone had told them that TV and Film are different media. Even Abrams doesn't seem to have quite figured that out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

It was bizarre how they kept the same writing staff on for years and years, while you have things like staff writers being assigned a movie script and trying to get out from doing it. In Hollywood. They couldn't find someone who wanted to write the script for insurrection. In Hollywood.

Well a few things go into that.

1) Word-of-mouth spread far and wide that a writing gig at Star Trek was one of the worst in the business, even with Gene out of the picture.

2) Star Trek is often seen as a dead end gig unless you want to work in Star Trek exclusively, or not at all, for the rest of your career. So you'd be looking to get into Trek if you were new in the business or "always wanted to work on Trek" in most cases.

3) The Star Trek writing team had become insular to the point that you couldn't work on Star Trek unless you understood Gene's Vision by way of Rick Berman.

Star Trek has always had a problem with cannibalizing itself and hitting the same notes over and over. At certain points you get the feeling that there are only so many story concepts that the writing team was willing to or capable of doing.

It just didn't occur to them that Gene had been walled off from creative control for the 80's films and most of those had turned out well, with three of them being fantastic. The Great Bird of the Galaxy cult was at its strongest in the decade or so after his death.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Piller was responsible for both story and screenplay. Prior to bringing him on board there was zero concept beyond "hey, let's do another Trek movie"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

And it wasn't even their own costumes. They had to borrow ones the main cast of DS9 wore.

Well, Stewart and Spiner got to have their own made for them. Frakes, Burton, Dorn and everyone else had to borrow from DS9.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

1) Word-of-mouth spread far and wide that a writing gig at Star Trek was one of the worst in the business, even with Gene out of the picture.

2) Star Trek is often seen as a dead end gig unless you want to work in Star Trek exclusively, or not at all, for the rest of your career. So you'd be looking to get into Trek if you were new in the business or "always wanted to work on Trek" in most cases.

3) The Star Trek writing team had become insular to the point that you couldn't work on Star Trek unless you understood Gene's Vision by way of Rick Berman.

Star Trek has always had a problem with cannibalizing itself and hitting the same notes over and over. At certain points you get the feeling that there are only so many story concepts that the writing team was willing to or capable of doing.

It just didn't occur to them that Gene had been walled off from creative control for the 80's films and most of those had turned out well, with three of them being fantastic. The Great Bird of the Galaxy cult was at its strongest in the decade or so after his death.

Why was Star Trek seen as a dead-end job?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

Once you're tainted by scify you forever carry that smell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

Because Piller insisted that all the writers stay within "Roddenberry's Box."

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

That stellaris mod is great but there are some issues. Once you form the federation the other founder worlds are all vassals to you, and the last game I played they all declared war on me for independence and won.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
After Trek, I think it can be reasoned that three of the five Captains have had both acclaimed and lucrative careers after the fact (Shatner, Stewart and Mulgrew.) Terry Farrell had a good long run on Becker. And then you have a handful of others that do the occasional tv episodes or one off movie shots... while others, Frakes and Dawson specifically have gone into directing.

It's really like anything else - some will do stuff and others won't. Some are just happy to get collecting that sweet Con money.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

CaveGrinch posted:

After Trek, I think it can be reasoned that three of the five Captains have had both acclaimed and lucrative careers after the fact (Shatner, Stewart and Mulgrew.) Terry Farrell had a good long run on Becker. And then you have a handful of others that do the occasional tv episodes or one off movie shots... while others, Frakes and Dawson specifically have gone into directing.

It's really like anything else - some will do stuff and others won't. Some are just happy to get collecting that sweet Con money.

Colm Meaney has been in everything, literally everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It may not be acclaimed, but Bakula is leading an NCIS, that's drat lucrative.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

He was goddamn incredible in Hell on Wheels.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MikeJF posted:

It may not be acclaimed, but Bakula is leading an NCIS, that's drat lucrative.
Here's the best clip of Bakula recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5yvuKoFmE

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The genes vision really hamstrung them in VOY and ENT. They had to hit this small target over and over and eventually they just wore it away to nothing. Even staff at the time thought ENT was too soon and the franchise was getting played out. I think it would have benefitted from a cooling off period, although that puts it on the other side of Nemesis and the UPN dissolution which means it probably wouldn't have gotten made at all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CaveGrinch posted:

Dorn has done a fuckton of voicework over the years.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MrJacobs posted:

Dorn has done a fuckton of voicework over the years.

That reminds me how much the cartoon Gargoyles featured ex-TNG cast members.

it was great too!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

New Vegas is my favourite Fallout partially because it has both Michael Dorn and Rene Auberjonois.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skooma512 posted:

The genes vision really hamstrung them in VOY and ENT. They had to hit this small target over and over and eventually they just wore it away to nothing. Even staff at the time thought ENT was too soon and the franchise was getting played out. I think it would have benefitted from a cooling off period, although that puts it on the other side of Nemesis and the UPN dissolution which means it probably wouldn't have gotten made at all.

It's almost like Nemesis was a terrible idea all around! (Except for the general concept of featuring the Romulans for once, too bad that's never gonna happen again :smith: )

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

It's almost like Nemesis was a terrible idea all around! (Except for the general concept of featuring the Romulans for once, too bad that's never gonna happen again :smith: )

What do you mean, the very next movie featured the Romulans! :buddy:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CaveGrinch posted:

We're kind of confusing the actors with the other production staff, but:

Not everyone gets into acting because they want to do cons for the rest of their lives, or because they want to be forever known for one character (who outside of the leads are not typically known for being good roles). Shatner and Stewart struggled to get other work for years afterward (though Stewart made bank as Picard). Shatner eventually did OK for himself, but was doing dumb horror movies until the 80's.

Of course if you're open-minded enough, you know that any solid Trek gig is a gig for life, and that's now something that translates onto several genres (Norman Reedus apparently makes more money at cons than he does on The Walking Dead).

As far as production roles, well, guys with skills that are in high demand on other productions probably do fine. And some of the writers went on to great careers at other shows, especially if they survived the vetting process at TNG. But everyone in the industry knew that the TNG writing team was mostly a revolving door, the people with permanent spots were spending insane amounts of time looking at spec scripts, and that the production was ruled by Great Bird cultists. Then there's the scifi stink, which isn't fair, but a thing none the less.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

That reminds me how much the cartoon Gargoyles featured ex-TNG cast members.

it was great too!

Also Mulgrew as Titania!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Namaer posted:

That stellaris mod is great but there are some issues. Once you form the federation the other founder worlds are all vassals to you, and the last game I played they all declared war on me for independence and won.

Vexit.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

We're kind of confusing the actors with the other production staff, but:

Not everyone gets into acting because they want to do cons for the rest of their lives, or because they want to be forever known for one character (who outside of the leads are not typically known for being good roles). Shatner and Stewart struggled to get other work for years afterward (though Stewart made bank as Picard). Shatner eventually did OK for himself, but was doing dumb horror movies until the 80's.

Of course if you're open-minded enough, you know that any solid Trek gig is a gig for life, and that's now something that translates onto several genres (Norman Reedus apparently makes more money at cons than he does on The Walking Dead).

As far as production roles, well, guys with skills that are in high demand on other productions probably do fine. And some of the writers went on to great careers at other shows, especially if they survived the vetting process at TNG. But everyone in the industry knew that the TNG writing team was mostly a revolving door, the people with permanent spots were spending insane amounts of time looking at spec scripts, and that the production was ruled by Great Bird cultists. Then there's the scifi stink, which isn't fair, but a thing none the less.

Stewart had several roles post tng. He had a bunch of tv movies, lovely and or low budget films, and theater work while doing tng movies and before X-Men. I still remember him as Ahab in some ABC version of Moby Dick in the mid 90s. Made First Contact a little funnier.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Namaer posted:

"It's insidious."

"...just like the Federation."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As far as production roles, well, guys with skills that are in high demand on other productions probably do fine. And some of the writers went on to great careers at other shows, especially if they survived the vetting process at TNG. But everyone in the industry knew that the TNG writing team was mostly a revolving door, the people with permanent spots were spending insane amounts of time looking at spec scripts, and that the production was ruled by Great Bird cultists.

I've heard stories from other TV writing teams and honestly this doesn't sound different than any other show run by a personality.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Delsaber posted:

New Vegas is my favourite Fallout partially because it has both Michael Dorn and Rene Auberjonois.

I knew Auberjonois played Mr. House, but Dorn?....

*checks IMDB*

:aaaaa:

New Vegas: best Fallout. Now, even best-er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Burning_Monk posted:

"We need an Irish. Get Colm Meaney on the phone." --everyone