Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus for real, have you ever met a biologist?

Normal, not-dead human in the presence of a bioligist: Huh this thing doesn't really look like a thing one interact or be near normally.

Biologist: HOW LAME OF YOU AS I AM A BIOLOGIST AND AM AWARE OF WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE I KNOW ABOUT THE STUDY OF LIFE UNLIKE YOU A MERE HUMAN BEING. I AM A BIOLOGIST SO I KNOW THESE ARE NATURE AND NORMAL THINGS WATCH THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

We're still talking about the scientists in Prometheus?

Prometheus didn't have the most brilliant of scientists, Vickers thought the trip was bullshit dreamed up by a really bad ultra religious scientist and her scared of death father and got whoever would go and didn't care. She only scared about the wasted money, and thus the captain/other crew. They were a bunch of idiots on a waste of time trip that just happened to turn out to have discovered gold.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus for real, have you ever met a biologist?

Normal, not-dead human in the presence of a bioligist: Huh this thing doesn't really look like a thing one interact or be near normally.

Biologist: HOW LAME OF YOU AS I AM A BIOLOGIST AND AM AWARE OF WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE I KNOW ABOUT THE STUDY OF LIFE UNLIKE YOU A MERE HUMAN BEING. I AM A BIOLOGIST SO I KNOW THESE ARE NATURE AND NORMAL THINGS WATCH THIS.

Is English not your first language? The cadence of this post is extremely childlike.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is English not your first language? The cadence of this post is extremely childlike.

/Eats liver

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

http://www.thankyourbody.com/eat-liver/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Milburn just wanted to make his crush feel calmer/safer as they were stranded, isolated, and stoned.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't what happens at all, no. Ripley learns to use a gun but at the end of the day the gun isn't what helps her and her 'weapon' in the final battle is merely a forklift, and the marines don't die because they're underarmed. Go look at the actual deaths in that scene. There isn't any shot of someone dying because they couldn't use their weapon. and several of them dying because they used their weapon recklessly or through accidental friendly fire. Afterwards they find out the fear was completely correct. The Atmospheric processor does indeed start to go. The mistake of the leadership was going in unprepared and overconfident into a situation they shouldn't have gone into at all. Even if the marines had gone in fully armed it wouldn't have changed much because the mistake was going in at all.

You said the point of Aliens is that the cockiness of the marines gets them killed, but they're just following the orders of Gorman, whose inexperience and disinterest is established earlier (he doesn't even remember their names). Instead of pulling the troops back so they can equip non-armor piercing rounds, he orders them to continue with compromised firepower. One of the first things that happens is the ammo Gorman ordered them to collect explodes and takes out several people. When Apone is killed, Gorman panics and leaves the troops to die, forcing Ripley to take over.

The movie isn't criticizing the marines for being confident. Again, Ripley enters the hive alone and armed to the teeth and wins. What the movie is saying is that leadership was unprepared for the nature of the enemy and didn't adequately back the troops, and it recommends that Hicks and Ripley, who are so committed to total eradication of the aliens that they're prepared to use nuclear weapons, be put in charge to ensure such embarrassing defeats don't happen again. The fact the aliens in their current position are harmless to the rest of the universe doesn't figure into their thinking. It's about restoring the glory of the institutions that were weakened by some Bad Apples.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't really care for Prometheus, but it's not like the biologist getting in that baby alien's face is especially stupider than John Hurt leaning in to that hatching egg. I guess because the Prometheus dude is a biologist it stands out more, but I can buy the Steve Irwin defense.

John Hurt was wearing a full body environment suit - he didn't know the Facehugger was going to spit acid on his visor and melt it away.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

John Hurt was wearing a full body environment suit - he didn't know the Facehugger was going to spit acid on his visor and melt it away.

Leaning face-first into a hatching alien egg you know nothing about still seems pretty dumb.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Leaning face-first into a hatching alien egg you know nothing about still seems pretty dumb.

If only he'd watched the movie first, he'd know better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel a of the "obvious" mistakes are just pure hindsight and the audience expecting horror-eggs and now generations of people exposed to the Alien movie and knowing that egg can shoot out extremely dangerous things. If was just a big fleshy ball that was opening up. Was it some sort of egg? Was there a critter inside? Usually newborn things are pretty weak. Is this like a space barnacle or something? Bio-tech container full of delicious food?

In hindsight they could have taken more precautions. But even if the guy wasn't standing directly over the egg the facehugger would have ran around the room and chased someone down anyways. The moment they "triggered" the eggs by maybe walking through the laser show lights they were hosed no matter what.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

The joke here is that Milburn also had a suit on, right?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They're also both wearing spacesuits. Millburn's is obviously top-of-line, and though Kane's is just regular joe shmoe it's still supposed to withstand the vacuum of space and toxic atmospheres and stuff.

Both Shaw and Vickers try running sideways, the ship falls on them anyways because it's loving huge.

I wonder what clearly spoken lines in the new blade runner will cause permanent confusion in goons . .

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Bones posted:

Both Shaw and Vickers try running sideways, the ship falls on them anyways because it's loving huge.

Shaw lives solely on luck in that scene, it's great.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Never leave the ship, it's not worth it! Even in non-horror sci-fi: I dunno why anyone in Star Trek ever steps onto a teleporter, I'd just wait for a shuttle. poo poo is terrifying

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Black Bones posted:

They're also both wearing spacesuits. Millburn's is obviously top-of-line, and though Kane's is just regular joe shmoe it's still supposed to withstand the vacuum of space and toxic atmospheres and stuff.

I wonder what clearly spoken lines in the new blade runner will cause permanent confusion in goons . .

I'm still hoping Deckard is explicitly known to be a human but only ever referred to as if he's a replicant by other characters to cause maximum nerd-conflict.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Black Bones posted:

"I'm not a replicant"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
I'd like to think the scientists being dumb would be more intuitive in a post-Ben Carson world.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd like to think the scientists being dumb would be more intuitive in a post-Ben Carson world.

Just because you know a lot about neurosurgery doesnt mean you know squat about history or anything else.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MacheteZombie posted:

The joke here is that Milburn also had a suit on, right?

Well done.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't really mind all the apologizing of everything in Prometheus except one thing. Maybe someone can fill me in on zany nerd theories that I missed. Why did the engineers give a star map to multiple human cultures for their black goo factory?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jesus was an astronaut.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't really mind all the apologizing of everything in Prometheus except one thing. Maybe someone can fill me in on zany nerd theories that I missed. Why did the engineers give a star map to multiple human cultures for their black goo factory?

halfway through the film aren't they like "oh no it wasn't a map, it was a warning", which is even more baffling and insane. like why specifically warn them about those stars and point out exactly where they are

my theory is that the engineers are dicks and just plain hate everyone

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe it's like an alarm clock for the engineers? Any species that manages to reach a level of technology where they can decipher the star map AND undertake space travel to reach the weapons outpost is about as advanced as the engineers want to allow, so when they show up then the engineers know it's time to clean house and seed some new experiments.

Or maybe they're just big doofus assholes, who knows.

Edit: IIRC there's also some fan theory that there was a civil war among the Engineers between a faction that was benevolent planet seeders and a faction that was aggressive planet destroyers, with the various goos (black, green, etc) as the weapons of choice? So maybe the former seeded earth but the Prometheus crew found a weapons facility belonging to the latter.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 9, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe the idea was, it was an invitation to evolve and be able to one day join them, but the humans, their creations, disgusted them and killed one of them on earth (Jesus) and thus this made them want to exterminate them all.

But something went wrong and the black goo got it and poo poo just didn't pan out that way.

Half of this is stuff said on the side not so much in the film itself, so take it however you want.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
I'm guessing the primitive humans asked where they were from and they pointed it out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

halfway through the film aren't they like "oh no it wasn't a map, it was a warning", which is even more baffling and insane. like why specifically warn them about those stars and point out exactly where they are

my theory is that the engineers are dicks and just plain hate everyone

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
I'm a pretty big fan of prometheus but there are a lot of questions it dodges, avoids or just shrugs at

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Despera posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of prometheus but there are a lot of questions it dodges, avoids or just shrugs at

There are no questions left unanswered in Prometheus. The trouble is that people don't like the answers.

One dude acts like Steve Irwin, so people get confused and ask "how is this possible?" And answer is simply that the character acts like Steve Irwin because he is like Steve Irwin.

Instead of being happy because they have an answer, though, the immediate response is "I don't want him to be like Steve Irwin!" So it was, all along, a fake question - a complaint disguised as a question.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The failing CineD posters are posting FAKE QUESTIONS. Sad!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I find it ironic that people like to link the red letter media Prometheus gag video to show how dumb the movie is when red letter media actually gave the movie a favorable review.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a joke video. Jay has said many times on the RLM forum.

They've soured on it since, but that video was not made to bash Prometheus.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I honestly think I'm going to have to reconsider my stance on Alien 3 after having seen the recent Alien Covenant footage, and after having read the reviews.

It looks like absolute poo poo--and even worse, absolute poo poo with more of dumb David and less xenomorph action. In fact, this whole loving film has the switcheroo stench of Halloween 3. And Danny McBride being the best thing about a film? Glad to see this generation's Tom Arnold getting some well-deserved credit. Good grief.

I mean, Alien 3 at least had Fincher...what does this one have? A desperate Ridley Scott trying to go crazy with the gore? Thank god they didn't let him near the directing chair for the Blade Runner sequel. Or maybe they did and fate just prevailed?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CDHiggs posted:

I honestly think I'm going to have to reconsider my stance on Alien 3 after having seen the recent Alien Covenant footage, and after having read the reviews.

It looks like absolute poo poo--and even worse, absolute poo poo with more of dumb David and less xenomorph action. In fact, this whole loving film has the switcheroo stench of Halloween 3. And Danny McBride being the best thing about a film? Glad to see this generation's Tom Arnold getting some well-deserved credit. Good grief.

I mean, Alien 3 at least had Fincher...what does this one have? A desperate Ridley Scott trying to go crazy with the gore? Thank god they didn't let him near the directing chair for the Blade Runner sequel. Or maybe they did and fate just prevailed?

seth rogen is way closer to this generation's tom arnold than danny mcbride

also halloween 3 is loving cool and weird

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CDHiggs posted:

more of dumb David
Excellent.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I just saw Alien Covenant (it came out earlier in Korea). It's weird and insane. I loved it, but it will probably be divisive, again.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Bugblatter posted:

I just saw Alien Covenant (it came out earlier in Korea). It's weird and insane. I loved it, but it will probably be divisive, again.

I hated Prometheus until the engineer destroyed David and thwomped an objectively terrible Guy Pearce. That's when I really felt engaged during the film, but by then it was almost over. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny McBride is loving great, the hell is wrong with you

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
They made a lot of ballsy calls in prometheus. Having the engineer wake up and beat the poo poo out of them instead of getting all philosophical worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Despera posted:

They made a lot of ballsy calls in prometheus. Having the engineer wake up and beat the poo poo out of them instead of getting all philosophical worked.

I agree. It was definitely the right call. The idea of the creator being disgusted by his creations is fun, and the engineer's excessively violent reaction to the presence of David and Weyland was pretty funny.