Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Augus posted:

wow, goons suck

Yeah. Really something awful eh. At least they've never advertised otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are you guys talking about the ending of Drakengard 1? 'cos I see nothing about jets on page 3 of this thread about jets outside of the LP update.

If so, just imo, I think the entirety of "set up for the game this is a sequel of" is probably fair game in terms of info you can share

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Are you guys talking about the ending of Drakengard 1? 'cos I see nothing about jets on page 3 of this thread about jets outside of the LP update.

If so, just imo, I think the entirety of "set up for the game this is a sequel of" is probably fair game in terms of info you can share

We're talking about the old LP thread, when TDI was still playing Drakengard and people started dropping spoilers. Not this current LP thread in tyool 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I see I see.

Then yeah, that's hosed up.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Even though Drakengard 1 spoilers were definitely a problem in the original thread (and with every TDI LP), that game is so bananas that it didn't matter too much. The cutscene where giant babies descend from the sky caused the best LP thread reaction I've ever seen.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
At the time, how many people thought that guy was just a crazy troll or something?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Counterpoint: Japanese games are crazy and everything is believable.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are jets on the first page of this thread!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stephen9001 posted:

At the time, how many people thought that guy was just a crazy troll or something?

When the Virtue's Last Reward LP started (and may someday finish) I liked to play along with the speculation and point it crazy places. I stopped because I realized that there was nothing I could say that wouldn't sound believable once things ramped up, and it would encourage others to "speculate" the truth.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

KamikazePotato posted:

Even though Drakengard 1 spoilers were definitely a problem in the original thread (and with every TDI LP), that game is so bananas that it didn't matter too much. The cutscene where giant babies descend from the sky caused the best LP thread reaction I've ever seen.

I just got to the first mention of the Watchers, and at least some of the readers didn't pay attention to the early spoilers (guesses so far are "Trees" "Cosmic Horrors" and "Birds, probably swans"). Though I gotta say if Drakengard swapped the giant babies with Birdemic, it would have been hilarious.

EDIT: "Parasite Eve Mitochondria", "Neighborhood Watch Alliance" "voyeurism self help group".

And Space Bat makes a joke that flies over everyone's head and is probably forgotten by the time they do show up:

Space Bat posted:

Would you big babies quit whining and wait and see?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 8, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The people guessing birds were just ahead of their time and making Drakengard 3 predictions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My take on the 'emotions are prohibited' thing, judging by how the other YorHa interact with one another, is that 2B is literally the only one who cares about that rule. She may even have made it up :v:
"Emotions are prohibited."
"Er... There's nothing for that in the-"
-leans on largest sword- "Prohibited."
"Yes ma'am."

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 8, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My take on the 'emotions are prohibited' thing, judging by how the other YorHa interact with one another, is that 2B is literally the only one who cares about that rule. She may even have made it up :v:

I was pleasantly surprised by this when I first started the game. Based on the demo, it seemed like YoRHa was going to be a weird totalitarian regime where everything was super sterile and humorless. Emotions are prohibited and everything is dire and serious. But no, turns out only 2B is serious and literally every other android is kind of a goofball (except the commander (in public)).

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Here's some of the many A+ reactions from the Watchers reveal in Drakengard 1.

LordBaxter posted:

I give up.

Thick McRunfast posted:

You promised wtf...and you have delivered.

Nohman posted:

What the loving gently caress?! I... That? :psypop:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

What. What? What! :suicide:

TombsGrave posted:

Bitch what.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Oh, well, time to unmark this thread, because I've had enough.

Have fun, guys and gals. I'll read this when it's archived.

Keep it up, Dark.

Samuel L. Chan posted:

I just gotta come out of lurking to say, hoooooooooly gently caress.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Hahahaha, of course.

AngryOlScotchCup posted:

What just happened? I don't want to believe that actually happened.

Futomimi posted:

... well, uh... Drakengard? Jesus.

I think only Diabeetus' reaction to a certain moment in the Darkseed 2 Longplay video has come close to what this caused.

And to think, despite all that, it wasn't the crazy ending that spawned the Nier series!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh man, I found some Pascal concept art on tumblr:

Mascot Pascal is simultaneously adorable and terrifying.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Begemot posted:

Oh man, I found some Pascal concept art on tumblr:

Mascot Pascal is simultaneously adorable and terrifying.

The Pascal on the bottom right is all "Girlfriend you don't wanna go there, mmhmm!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm glad that they didn't go with drooly dog. That looks kinda gross.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Jake the Dog Pascal in the top-center.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm glad that they didn't go with drooly dog. That looks kinda gross.

Poshul/Nier crossover confirmed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

HR12345 posted:

The Pascal on the bottom right is all "Girlfriend you don't wanna go there, mmhmm!"

Old Man Pascal but with the exact same voice as his current version.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And now I'm at Leonard's intro. Hoo Boy.

Now am I misremembering, but does the lore at least heavily imply that Leonard never acted on his impulses (which is how the kids with him got killed-he had to
wwank off in the woods and -whoops!- the Empire makes a pit stop at his hut)?

EDIT: Lots of pooping on Dragon Age by thread readers. I think this was before DA2 though.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 9, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

And now I'm at Leonard's intro. Hoo Boy.

Now am I misremembering, but does the lore at least heavily imply that Leonard never acted on his impulses (which is how the kids with him got killed-he had to
wwank off in the woods and -whoops!- the Empire makes a pit stop at his hut)?

In the Japanese version of the game, (and supplementary materials, I think? This little aside, you can take with a grain of salt) he was explicitly off in the woods having his way with one of the kids. Which is entirely the reason why he's not as dead as a doornail when you first meet him.

Drakengard!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

KamikazePotato posted:

Here's some of the many A+ reactions from the Watchers reveal in Drakengard 1.

I just want to say, I absolutely adore the reveal of the watchers because of how... "Delicate" isn't the word, but there was no thunderous fanfare or terror stings, just... a baby, then lot's of babies, and enough time to think "...okay but WHY baby?" as they sorta flew around a bit and landed, before the teeth gnashing begins in earnest.

Taro really understands the value of being able to let you come to realizations yourself before throwing that piano into the industrial shredder :allears: What a goddamn hero

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stonk:
I think I have an idea for a :drakengard: emote. I'll open photoshop after I get back from dinner with my friend out of state.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I just want to say, I absolutely adore the reveal of the watchers because of how... "Delicate" isn't the word, but there was no thunderous fanfare or terror stings, just... a baby, then lot's of babies, and enough time to think "...okay but WHY baby?" as they sorta flew around a bit and landed, before the teeth gnashing begins in earnest.

Taro really understands the value of being able to let you come to realizations yourself before throwing that piano into the industrial shredder :allears: What a goddamn hero

I still remember stumbling upon that clip on youtube by accident and just staring at the screen as I wondered what the gently caress I was watching.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

In the Japanese version of the game, (and supplementary materials, I think? This little aside, you can take with a grain of salt) he was explicitly off in the woods having his way with one of the kids. Which is entirely the reason why he's not as dead as a doornail when you first meet him.

Drakengard!

[hahaha nope nope nopity nopenope - fedule]. Man, not even in the context of Drakengard does that sentence sound anything other than completely awful. Which considering Drakengard, is kinda appropriate I guess, how many times has a character in Drakengard said completely awful things right? In case it wasn't obvious, that first sentence is not meant to be taken seriously.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 9, 2017

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Since we're reminiscing, I realised that missing the Drakengard 3 LP was a mistake and went back to read it on the archive. Having binged it over the last few days, there's so much I want to say about it... but I'll settle for "that was really hosed up (and also hilarious(especially the springboard moment))".

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fair enough, but gonna suggest you never type that again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bman in 2288 posted:

Drakengard!

He was masturbating.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

Drakengard!

According to the original guidebook and the Drakenier 10th Anniversary art book, Leonard was out masturbating in the woods, not having his way with any kids. It's described as being his way of relieving the stress that comes with living with his underage brothers. That's essentially the crux of his thing with Seere; he's spent his whole life resisting his urges, but now the world is ending, so why not indulge? But unlike Arioch, he's still clinging to some semblance of sanity/morality and doesn't go through with it. So he's meant to be a heroic character ultimately, in that patented twisted Yoko Taro way.

I haven't played the JP version of Drakengard in awhile, but as I recall the English version is mostly unaltered. The only outright change I can remember is Leonard's line in the ending going from "Seere, you smell nice" in the original to "Seere, you're a fine lad" in the localization.

dazat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 9, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dazat posted:

According to the original guidebook and the Drakenier 10th Anniversary art book, Leonard was out masturbating in the woods, not having his way with any kids. It's described as being his way of relieving the stress that comes with living with his underage brothers. That's essentially the crux of his whole thing with Seere; he's spent his whole life resisting his urges, but now the world is ending, so why not indulge? But unlike Arioch, he's still clinging to some semblance of sanity/morality, so he doesn't go through with it. So he's meant to be a heroic character ultimately, in that patented twisted Yoko Taro way.

I haven't played the JP version of Drakengard in awhile, but as I recall the English version is mostly unaltered. The only outright change I can remember is Leonard's line in the ending going from "Seere, you smell nice" in the original to "Seere, you're a fine lad" in the localization.

:whitewater: wowzers

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You should rethink like, this entire post.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The "Don't go there!" button looks mighty appropriate right about now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

dazat posted:

According to the original guidebook and the Drakenier 10th Anniversary art book, Leonard was out masturbating in the woods, not having his way with any kids. It's described as being his way of relieving the stress that comes with living with his underage brothers. That's essentially the crux of his thing with Seere; he's spent his whole life resisting his urges, but now the world is ending, so why not indulge? But unlike Arioch, he's still clinging to some semblance of sanity/morality and doesn't go through with it. So he's meant to be a heroic character ultimately, in that patented twisted Yoko Taro way.
As slipshod as the original Drakengard's writing often was (or at least the translation), I still find it kind of interesting that Leonard was essentially always the moral center of Caim's group. Everyone else, even Seere, is driven by more selfish, self-serving motivations, and despite how self-destructive Leonard's inclinations are he's the only member of the party who shows any real empathy or concern for the wellfare of others.

Given Yoko Taro's on record as having said the original Drakengard was about how insane it is to make a game celebrating the kind of hero who slaughters people indiscriminately, Leonard almost feels like a piece of that commentary that actually works. Not quite, but almost. He's a deeply sick and troubled individual, but still more human than the mass-murdering lunatic who stands center stage (though in true Yoko Taro fashion, that dude's still human too).

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So how about them silly YorHa girls and is 9Steve the only male android around?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
He is not, but there is certainly a heavy skew towards girls.

What I find interesting about YorHa is how funereal their outfits are. Lots of flat blacks, crow feathers on 2B's sleeves. They feel like a mourning army marking the last passing of a planet that has been jackhammered with calamity after calamity, and is now the site of some smoldering proxy war.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The whole S line is male, and there are several male members of the resistance. Most of the combatants are female, however.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm so glad they didn't go with old man pascal, the questions of "why would they build an old man robot" would go in circles forever

Dudethunder
Jan 12, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm so glad they didn't go with old man pascal, the questions of "why would they build an old man robot" would go in circles forever

They needed a grandpa robot for the family simulations and he was all like "Heck this, I'm doing a leave" when he saw what his colleagues were doing. Don't ask about what happened to grandma robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

Wow. What did this person do that you hate them enough to get them to play Drakengard? Point them at TDIs LPs, sure, but I'm pretty sure getting someone to play Drakengard 1 or 2 is considered cruel and unusual punishment.

I tried to convince him not to play the games. I tried to tell him to read the LPs, many times. HE WOULDN'T LISTEN. :(

• Locked thread