Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Why doesn't he just go to earth and steal a bunch of new music? They got a space ship.

It comes up with Ego, his mom died there its why hes never gone back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Why doesn't he just go to earth and steal a bunch of new music? They got a space ship.

It's the place where his mom died so he can't go back

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Barudak posted:

He says it to Ego, his mom died there its why hes never gone back.

He says it multiple times, in fact. To Ego and (I think) Gamora.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dexo posted:

Cant wait for that Zune to have all of the hottest 90s or early 00's pop music on it.

Some Rage Against the Machine would be pretty apropos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They missed an opportunity at a PBF comic joke where Quill barges in on Teen Groot watching a video of a bee pollinating a flower only for Groot to alt tab out of the video awkwardly while getting all huffy about personal privacy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

They missed an opportunity at a PBF comic joke where Quill barges in on Teen Groot watching a video of a bee pollinating a flower only for Groot to alt tab out of the video awkwardly while getting all huffy about personal privacy.

They missed a joke in a hypothetical next movie where there is a teen groot?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

oh I have a theory/question(?) about (post-credit spoiler) Adam Warlock

Okay so all I know about the guy is that he 1) is a hero 2) he is like a guardian of one/multiple of the infinity stones at some point(s)? and 3) he is an enemy of Thanos.

Anyway, what I am saying is is that it would be awesome if he is "born" and because he is made to be perfection personified, he just immediately rejects whatever stupid revenge plan these guys have cooked up for him, and instead he goes to seek knowledge and realizes what he really needs to be doing is protecting the universe from Thanos or whatever

I'm kind of hoping that the High Priestess just bombarded the poo poo out of Adam in his coccoon with all the 1970/80s Earth culture she could get a hold of as part of her master plan to create something taylor made to destroy the Guardians. Then he abandons his designed quest, because of 70s/80s pop culture reference, goes to Earth, and bonds with Vision while they listen to Mr. Roboto and Vision tries to convince Adam to wear cashmere.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Since Infinity War is their next appearance and then Guardians Vol. 3 (which has already been confirmed with a "modern" setting, the release year), I think adult Groot will be back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Franchescanado posted:

I have never thought Starman was about banging kids.

Yeah, that one made me :raise: so I went and looked at the lyrics to make sure I wasn't missing something... I don't think I am?

Deathwing posted:

Weapon of Choice, maybe?

Only if it opens with them making a spice delivery from Arrakis.

Tenzarin posted:

I was thinking about how he's never gone back to Earth, and how he probably hasn't seen another human in 30 years.
Unless the Nova Corps guys count, but how can they if humans haven't colonized space in the MCU timeline?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Marvel movies have been going for 10 years now, you should know by now that you always watch through the end of the credits.
there is an angsty teen groot in one of the credits vignettes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 8, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Harlock posted:

I thought that was one of the most groan inducing parts of the whole movie to hear Kurt Russel break down song lyrics.

Honestly, up until that point I doubt I could've told you what the lyrics to that song were outside of the chorus; despite having heard it in the background a gazillion times. So I didn't mind the over-the-head explicitness of that scene.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Gyges posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the High Priestess just bombarded the poo poo out of Adam in his coccoon with all the 1970/80s Earth culture she could get a hold of as part of her master plan to create something taylor made to destroy the Guardians. Then he abandons his designed quest, because of 70s/80s pop culture reference, goes to Earth, and bonds with Vision while they listen to Mr. Roboto and Vision tries to convince Adam to wear cashmere.

So, turn him into the Beyonder then?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

It comes up with Ego, his mom died there its why hes never gone back.

Earth was home, mom was home, mom is gone, so earth is metaphorically both dead and something in need of preserving. If he goes back to Earth it won't be his Earth, but the most alien planet. It's fear and love all wrapped into one flashing neon metaphorical bow.

If GotG3 isn't about overcoming that and returning to Earth for a moment I'll be surprised. Even if it's just setting foot on Earth for a moment and then going "nah."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Dexo posted:

Cant wait for that Zune to have all of the hottest 90s or early 00's pop music on it.

I'm just slightly dissapointed on Sony for not trying to suggest that Star-Lord got one of these.

Edit:

PJOmega posted:

If GotG3 isn't about overcoming that and returning to Earth for a moment I'll be surprised. Even if it's just setting foot on Earth for a moment and then going "nah."

Pretty sure that'll happen in Infinity War, unless Tony Stark has been hiding a jump-capable starship in the basement of Avengers Tower.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loved Teen Groots smarmy "I am grooooooot"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad they didn't go the obvious route of giving him an ipod. An OG ipod that hasn't had a disc failure in 2017 wouldn't have been believable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vintersorg posted:

I loved Teen Groots smarmy "I am grooooooot"

His voice cracking in the middle of it was a great touch.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

howe_sam posted:

Honestly, up until that point I doubt I could've told you what the lyrics to that song were outside of the chorus; despite having heard it in the background a gazillion times. So I didn't mind the over-the-head explicitness of that scene.

:shrug: I didn't know the song at all so it helped to have it spelled out. I'm just not up to speed on 70's songs.

I really liked the movie, though I'm not sure whether I like it or Vol. 1 better. Plot-wise Vol. 1 is more focused and has a clear villain throughout, but something about Vol. 2 made me feel like I enjoyed it more. Maybe I have an easy sense of humor, but I felt like I hadn't watched a funnier movie in recent memory. Drax, especially, got me with his exaggerated laughing and his blunt comments. It was just a fun movie and I'm excited to see how they all play off of the Avengers in Infinity War. Also, I was way too excited to show off my Zune to my girlfriend after getting home from the theater.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, I didn't know the Cat Stevens song but I got the gist of it by its context within the film and listening to the lyrics. They didn't break down "The Chain" or any of the other dozen or so songs, I don't think Brandy was so vital to the plot that they needed it spelled out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It was vital. Ego was trying to use the lyrics to explain to Quill why he had to leave and also why Quill himself wasn't really meant for Earth, etc...It was all part of his plan to get Quill on his side.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think it helps to underline how big a douche Ego is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It was vital. Ego was trying to use the lyrics to explain to Quill why he had to leave and also why Quill himself wasn't really meant for Earth, etc...It was all part of his plan to get Quill on his side.

Explaining the plan was vital, even showing how he loved Earth music. A lesson in basic musical methaphor was totally not necessary and super obnoxious and bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Explaining the plan was vital, even showing how he loved Earth music. A lesson in basic musical methaphor was totally not necessary and super obnoxious and bad.

As I've mentioned earlier, he interprets the song incorrectly, which emphasizes how he bends his surroundings to fuel his own desires.

I think it's also neat how he emphasizes the band's name, "Looking Glass", since they were one-hit wonder who's song is remember, but their name is not.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

The film was good, I certainly plan on seeing it again.

That said, does anyone else wish they'd focused more on either Ego or the Mutiny instead of trying to fit both into the same movie? Both storylines were strong enough that I think either one could have carried the whole show.

Like, for all that Yondu and Quill's relationship are a main focus of the story they spend practically no time together at all. That isn't something I really noticed at the time, but it's been niggling at me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dexo posted:

This was the biggest missed opportunity for some jokes, IMO. I was really hoping Quill would sit down with it, hit play, and get 300 hours of gangster rap or gabbercore or something. He hit the perfect song on his first try. Maybe he remembered it from when he was a kid but hasn't heard it for 20 years? That's really sweet all by itself -- they could get some real mileage out of him discovering new music but I guess that's probably a little much to cram into the end of the movie. Maybe what they really needed was another mid-credits scene gently caress yeah give us more and more forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought it was fine, but I don't know that I've ever actually listened to the lyrics of the song before. If I had been familiar I can see how it'd grate, but there are probably plenty of people that don't know it. I thought it was effective if anything and making Ego seem inhuman -- here's a song in an alien language he hasn't heard for 20 years and he can perfectly remember all the lyrics and expound on the meaning? Not a Regular Dude sort of thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

This was the biggest missed opportunity for some jokes, IMO. I was really hoping Quill would sit down with it, hit play, and get 300 hours of gangster rap or gabbercore or something. He hit the perfect song on his first try. Maybe he remembered it from when he was a kid but hasn't heard it for 20 years? That's really sweet all by itself -- they could get some real mileage out of him discovering new music but I guess that's probably a little much to cram into the end of the movie. Maybe what they really needed was another mid-credits scene gently caress yeah give us more and more forever.

The name of the song is Father & Son. It's his dad's funeral, what else would he pick? Even if he doesn't know who Cat Stevens is (he would), that title would jump out to anyone in that situation

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

As I've mentioned earlier, he interprets the song incorrectly, which emphasizes how he bends his surroundings to fuel his own desires.

Its this, and witthout this sequence where he paints his best positive spin the revelation regarding him and Peters Mom would not have felt so sharply contrasted. Its a lull of false motivations.

Also it juxtaposes extremely well with the Yondu, Father and Son, which is a dead on for what Yondu and Peters relationship was like, unlike Ego and his willful bending of his relationship within Brandy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this movie was definitely about fathers and sons, and made me tear up so i definitely appreciate my relationship with my father a little more now

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Guy A. Person posted:

oh I have a theory/question(?) about (post-credit spoiler) Adam Warlock

Okay so all I know about the guy is that he 1) is a hero 2) he is like a guardian of one/multiple of the infinity stones at some point(s)? and 3) he is an enemy of Thanos.

Anyway, what I am saying is is that it would be awesome if he is "born" and because he is made to be perfection personified, he just immediately rejects whatever stupid revenge plan these guys have cooked up for him, and instead he goes to seek knowledge and realizes what he really needs to be doing is protecting the universe from Thanos or whatever

There is also Adam Warlock's evil alter ego, The Magus (Adam Magus? I can't remember). So it's possible they go that route as well

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That would really fit an Adam Warlock solo movie.

It's funny that the band Looking Glass hated the song "Brandy, you a fine girl" it's used to explain the motivation of a massive prick of a villain.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They had to get every member of Fleetwood Mac to watch and approve the scenes that use The Chain, and I feel that's why we don't get the solos everybody wantes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's also neat how he emphasizes the band's name, "Looking Glass", since they were one-hit wonder who's song is remember, but their name is not.

It's not that he gets the song wrong, he gets it exactly right, he just fails to live up to it.

The Sailor in the song isn't a dick, he's upfront with Brandy about how he couldn't be with her ("lord he was an honest man"). The whole reason Brandy is in love with him is because he is this romantic larger than life adventurer:

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
When he told his sailor stories
She could feel the ocean foam rise
She saw its ragin' glory

It's about the paradox of loving someone for the very reason they can never truly be with you/love you back.

Brandy's "eyes could steal a sailor from the sea" just not THE Sailor. Ego however is seduced by the lure of true love and almost abandons his dumb quest.

It's still clunky as hell though. Like he obviously didn't model his plans off this song, and it doesn't seem like he made his ultimate decision because he was inspired by the song. It seems like he winged an explanation when he saw what Peter was listening to more than anything else.

I think I would prefer it if he either 1) quoted multiple songs from that era to try to relate to Quill, quoting more ridiculous poo poo to try and explain every action he takes ("I'm a lot like this Leroy Brown character"); or 2) he should have basically went whole hog with his obsession with "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" and had like statues of the band in his temple, had the song playing on harps or whatever in his sitting room, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It seems like he winged an explanation when he saw what Peter was listening to more than anything else.

Yes, this is what happened.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I never thought "Come a little bit closer" could be so dark and violent, but it was magnificent to see that's for sure.

Overall, not sure lightning struck twice, but it was still good imo. Parts felt weak and forced, but it seemed to have it together for the most impactful moments.

Edit: The funeral caught me off guard and actually hit super hard.

Krataar fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 9, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Krataar posted:

I never thought "Come a little bit closer" could be so dark and violent, but it was magnificent to see that's for sure.

Overall, not sure lightning struck twice, but it was still good imo. Parts felt weak and forced, but it seemed to have it together for the most impactful moments.

Yondu was Jose coming home to roost :stonk:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my gf and i just rewatched gotg 1 and man it is so much better in pacing, tone, etc

i did start crying when peter says "yeah but he's just about the only family i had" about yondu

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my gf and i just rewatched gotg 1 and man it is so much better in pacing, tone, etc

i did start crying when peter says "yeah but he's just about the only family i had" about yondu

It's not like he had a talking car or a band. He did date hot women and fight robots, and even scored with hot women robots. :v:

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Drax's impressed response to Ego saying that his self created Penis "wasn't too bad" was great.
Batista was excellent in this movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What I find interesting is how GotG1 had this schizophrenic, schoolyard attitude to sex. Quill totally gets laid off-screen. but basically no physical intimacy is permitted onscreen, and then GotG2 ups the ante by making sex evil - the villain's plan revolves around his extreme fecundity, which threatens to turn the whole galaxy into him.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One thing I'm not sure I got - did Peter and Gamora hook up at the end or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

One thing I'm not sure I got - did Peter and Gamora hook up at the end or not?

Man fingers crossed, that dancing around it poo poo ain't as cute as they think it is, especially when there's absolutely no reason for it.

• Locked thread