Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I liked that they were so vague about his party/ideological affiliations because it meant that I could pretend that Toranosuke was a really friendly and fatherly member of the Uyoku Dantai. Like, when you aren't around he'd be raving about communism and talking about how Japan did nothing wrong during WWII.

I actually liked Sun's events and now reading the wiki :smith:

He was so into reforming society despite being ostracized and people heckling him during speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

^^^
No, no. Sun is still good, and your friend. I was just pretending he was part of them for my own amusement. There's not the tiniest bit of evidence he's actually with them.

The English voices are generally really, really, good. My only criticisms so far are that Haru's voice is just a little bit too high-pitched, to the extent that it sounds kind of forced. There's also the fact that they pronounce several of the Japanese names kind of...weird. Not wrong, per se, but they put the emphasis on certain syllables in some of the names that end up making them sound really off. My eye kept twitching just a bit throughout the first act when they kept going "KaTA-gawa" instead of "ka-ta-gawa" like I'd always heard it pronounced.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 9, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Welp, I found the Temperance Confidant. Nooooot how I expected that relationship to develop. :v:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Welp, I found the Temperance Confidant. Nooooot how I expected that relationship to develop. :v:
It gets better. And also gives you loads of really good stuff, so go for it!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Ryuji does actually say gently caress like... once? And then he goes back to effin' for the rest of the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Temperance is unironically great and you'll feel really good about completing it.

(Note: I didn't go down the romance path. If you do, that's all on you.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

Ryuji does actually say gently caress like... once? And then he goes back to effin' for the rest of the game.

Ryuji is a good boy and deserved better main story events. TBH it's a running theme how good characters have meh SL events which is sad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Time to break Genbu out of storage then. Speaking of Personas, how long does it take to train away an elemental weakness at Strength 3? I held onto a Regent for the entirety of the 2nd Palace so I could fuse Matador, and I'm gonna be super pissed if I don't get him back before the time comes to explore the 3rd Palace.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

"Call her Master Kawakami"

I think this is my favorite line in the entire game so far.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rangpur posted:

Time to break Genbu out of storage then. Speaking of Personas, how long does it take to train away an elemental weakness at Strength 3? I held onto a Regent for the entirety of the 2nd Palace so I could fuse Matador, and I'm gonna be super pissed if I don't get him back before the time comes to explore the 3rd Palace.

It gets shorter the higher the corresponding social link of the persona. Imo I never found it useful beyond the trophy. You're encouraged to switch personas often anyway.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Temperance is unironically great and you'll feel really good about completing it.

(Note: I didn't go down the romance path. If you do, that's all on you.)
It is.
I knew I was gonna romance her after that first visit where she instantly goes from Perky Happy Maid to collapsed on your bed, moaning about how much her job sucks. That just completely won me over. I didn't even give a drat about the whole "dating your teacher" aspect.
And then after you get the huge bounty on your head she pulls you aside, gives you some home cooking, and tells you that you'll always have her support :3:

Edit: Good lord. Akechi frickin' does some Michael Jackson moves and strikes a pose for his all out attack. I'm...torn between thinking it's ridiculous and thinking it's incredible.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 9, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rangpur posted:

It is (11-Arcana Level) days to learn a resist skill. So at max it takes one day, and in your case it would take 8. Note that it is a skill so it takes up a slot, and it is randomly picked so you could get something that does not cover the weakness; however I think it is weighted towards weaknesses

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The English voices are generally really, really, good. My only criticisms so far are that Haru's voice is just a little bit too high-pitched, to the extent that it sounds kind of forced. There's also the fact that they pronounce several of the Japanese names kind of...weird. Not wrong, per se, but they put the emphasis on certain syllables in some of the names that end up making them sound really off. My eye kept twitching just a bit throughout the first act when they kept going "KaTA-gawa" instead of "ka-ta-gawa" like I'd always heard it pronounced.

This was apparently the mandate of Atlus Japan, which is weird.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It is.
I knew I was gonna romance her after that first visit where she instantly goes from Perky Happy Maid to collapsed on your bed, moaning about how much her job sucks. That just completely won me over. I didn't even give a drat about the whole "dating your teacher" aspect.
And then after you get the huge bounty on your head she pulls you aside, gives you some home cooking, and tells you that you'll always have her support :3:

Edit: Good lord. Akechi frickin' does some Michael Jackson moves and strikes a pose for his all out attack. I'm...torn between thinking it's ridiculous and thinking it's incredible.

I suppose a weird thing about these games is that I'm almost 24 but in-game I'm playing as a 16 year old kid. It's hard to reconcile those two things and choose who I want to date.

I know, what a loving goon.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

It is.
it's the latter

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the boss in palace 1 is kicking my rear end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

the boss in palace 1 is kicking my rear end

It really shouldn't be. Have you been fighting every Shadow you come across during your infiltration?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

It really shouldn't be. Have you been fighting every Shadow you come across during your infiltration?

no, not really. now im farming the palace again so i can open the chests

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

no, not really. now im farming the palace again so i can open the chests

Well, there's your problem. If you fight every Shadow minus the rooftop gauntlet, you should easily be at about level 9 by the Treasure room, which is enough to fight the boss with little difficulty.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, there's your problem. If you fight every Shadow minus the rooftop gauntlet, you should easily be at about level 9 by the Treasure room, which is enough to fight the boss with little difficulty.

I see, thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I'll recommend that you use the Agathion you got from the fusion tutorial if you haven't already. It's a really good Persona to carry you through the first palace since you can do a bit of everything, and it always helps to have another chance to heal.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I'll recommend that you use the Agathion you got from the fusion tutorial if you haven't already. It's a really good Persona to carry you through the first palace since you can do a bit of everything, and it always helps to have another chance to heal.

Also this is more of a later-game thing but Arsene pretty much has the highest Agility growth in the game and something most people don't realize is that his Endurance is around Ryuji level, so he's an excellent support Persona with the right skills.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

Ryuji is a good boy and deserved better main story events. TBH it's a running theme how good characters have meh SL events which is sad.

His confidant is good and he gets consistent development and important scenes throughout the game. Outside of one particularly bad plot beat around mid game Ryuji is probably one of the characters treated best by the story. Only behind Makoto and Futaba

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I suppose a weird thing about these games is that I'm almost 24 but in-game I'm playing as a 16 year old kid. It's hard to reconcile those two things and choose who I want to date.

I know, what a loving goon.

I couldn't date the older women because it was weird to date ppl older than I am irl as a teen esp with Palace 1 completed. I ended up dating Makoto the default girl but tbh, I'm going to do Lone Wolf/Forever Alone PT for NG+.

Also, we can't date the detective this time around :mad:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alder posted:

I couldn't date the older women because it was weird to date ppl older than I am irl as a teen esp with Palace 1 completed. I ended up dating Makoto the default girl but tbh, I'm going to do Lone Wolf/Forever Alone PT for NG+.

Also, we can't date the detective this time around :mad:

Uh huh... right...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

His confidant is good and he gets consistent development and important scenes throughout the game. Outside of one particularly bad plot beat around mid game Ryuji is probably one of the characters treated best by the story. Only behind Makoto and Futaba

I wish Ryuji was more like he is in his social link but he's great either way.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are you referring to Ryuji not being able to shut up about phantom thieves and accidentally letting Makoto in on it or Ryuji being a shithead to Morgana enough to make him run off?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Are you referring to Ryuji not being able to shut up about phantom thieves and accidentally letting Makoto in on it or Ryuji being a shithead to Morgana enough to make him run off?

Regarding the second, the entire team dunks on Ryuji, Morgana included, but Morgana can't take even a fraction of what he dishes out. The whole sequence is contrived either way.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont know what the gently caress im doing with the persona fusion thingie and i already lost arsene. im bad at this game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Regarding the second, the entire team dunks on Ryuji, Morgana included, but Morgana can't take even a fraction of what he dishes out. The whole sequence is contrived either way.

I think part of the issue there is that Ryuji doesn't recognize that it isn't the time for it. While Morgana makes fun of Ryuji a lot, Ryuji was kicking him while he was down and needling him on one of his deepest insecurities. It's not so much that Morgana couldn't take what he dishes out--it's just that it wasn't the time and Ryuji picked an especially sore subject.

I kinda like that there's no heartfelt apology scene or anything, because Ryuji being impressed by Morgana's shot when he frees the group from Shadow Okumura's forcefield feels more sincere than any apology from Ryuji ever would.

DoctorGonzo posted:

i dont know what the gently caress im doing with the persona fusion thingie and i already lost arsene. im bad at this game

Nah, you didn't lose Arsene. He's not worth much past the first few levels--you're supposed to fuse him into something else. You can always buy him back from the Compendium if you want. Later in the game there are ways to power up Personas and some people like to make a powered-up Arsene just because he looks cool. Otherwise, you're free to just keep fusing and doing what you feel like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You were supposed to fuse Arsene and Pixie, don't worry. No Persona is ever permanently lost. You can always resummon one for some money through the Velvet Room.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DoctorGonzo posted:

Fuse new poo poo. That's how you Persona. It gets you a discount too! Powering up existing personas comes later but just fusing as many new things as possible and recruiting every new persona you come across is the way to play the game.

Harrow posted:

I think part of the issue there is that Ryuji doesn't recognize that it isn't the time for it. While Morgana makes fun of Ryuji a lot, Ryuji was kicking him while he was down and needling him on one of his deepest insecurities. It's not so much that Morgana couldn't take what he dishes out--it's just that it wasn't the time and Ryuji picked an especially sore subject.

I kinda like that there's no heartfelt apology scene or anything, because Ryuji being impressed by Morgana's shot when he frees the group from Shadow Okumura's forcefield feels more sincere than any apology from Ryuji ever would.

Yeah I do like how there's no formal apology. That's exactly how a teenage boy would act.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see, thank everyone. Im having a blast so far.

I shelved HZD

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I fused some random poo poo at the tutorial one specifically because I want to keep Arsene forever, I can't throw away Lupin's grandpappy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm playing Tales of Berseria now and it's making me wish they'd used the phone chats like Tales uses skits for non-plot-important character showcases. There are a few phone chats like that but I wish they did more of those and fewer of the "let's rehash plot stuff we already know" ones.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So I'm running through mementos to finish up a handful of requests I'd been ignoring and I hit a rest level. And I think to myself "This is the first persona game that I've really gotten into, but I've heard plenty about the other games. I know The Reaper is in this game and how he appears, let's give him a shot! I'm level 48, I steamrolled the fifth palace boss in not even a dozen turns, I can probably at least put up a good fight against him."

I did not put up a good fight against him :v:

Edit: Also, more on the voice acting. It's really hilarious to hear the protagonist spout off the persona's name every time he changes to it. I mean, it's totally normal to hear him say "Valkyrie" or "Flauros." But getting to hear him spout off longer names in one breath like "Ame-No-Uzumay" or, my personal favorite, "Magatsu Izanagi Picaro." It's kind of hilarious. Good on the VA for being able to spit ten syllables in just over a second.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 9, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yardbomb posted:

I fused some random poo poo at the tutorial one specifically because I want to keep Arsene forever, I can't throw away Lupin's grandpappy.

Arsene, and really and low level can be made great through manipulation through gallows but it's not like Pokemon and they will fall behind and they will suck in every way until then. You just have to fuse, that's the first lesson in any SMT game. Plus, the more you have registered in your compendium, the cheaper it is to resummon.

e:

Harrow posted:

I'm playing Tales of Berseria now and it's making me wish they'd used the phone chats like Tales uses skits for non-plot-important character showcases. There are a few phone chats like that but I wish they did more of those and fewer of the "let's rehash plot stuff we already know" ones.

Berseria, BOTW and P5 make me realize that this is just a fantastic time to be alive.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

I wish they had more optional events like Tales of series depending on how Joker interacted with items/people. The closest would be memento but it always gets interrupted when I open doors/chests.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Berseria, BOTW and P5 make me realize that this is just a fantastic time to be alive.

Yeah what the hell is this year's lineup for games; between those three you mentioned and NieR: Automata, how have we already had at least three GotY candidates before the halfway point of the year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah what the hell is this year's lineup for games; between those three you mentioned and NieR: Automata, how have we already had at least three GotY candidates before the halfway point of the year.

This really has been an incredible year so far. I'd guess we're probably past the most exciting releases for the year unless there's a surprise coming-in-2017 announcement at E3, but even if we stop here this has been one hell of a year for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

This really has been an incredible year so far. I'd guess we're probably past the most exciting releases for the year unless there's a surprise coming-in-2017 announcement at E3, but even if we stop here this has been one hell of a year for games.

I mean, we've got Mario Odyssey by the end of the year, so there's at least one more.