Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
I wouldn't consider Bioshock a horror game as much as it's a psychological thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah, or else i wouldn't have posted it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

cis autodrag posted:

In a horror game I think the primary goal needs to be creating fear in the player and tension is certainly a tool in the toolbox but it's not enough if you never use the tension you've built to do something especially scary.
Yeah, that makes sense. My go-to first-person horror FPS is Condemned, which seems to use basically the same tools as so many other suspenseful shooter games, but uses them to a much better effect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah, or else i wouldn't have posted it.

While it could have been cut down it is in no way a "4 hour" game. It also handles Ripley's daughter very well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Bioshock is ideological/philosophical/social horror. And pretty much everything about the world it builds truly is horrifying, on multiple levels. It's not a "scary" game, but it is definitely a horrific one.

Also Prey sounds like someone decided "You know what would be great? System Shock, but based on that Garry's Mod game mode... what's it called? Prop hunt? Yeah, that."

Because listening to you guys describe it sounds exactly like a description of Prop Hunt. (which is an incredibly fun game in its own right)

Basically, one of the enemies is Prop Hunt. There are several other kinds with different powers, but Mimics are some of the more common. They're like Goombas.

Overall it's still very close to System Shock. It doesn't have a huge enemy variety (something like 6 or 7 different types, including bosses), but it has a lot of the same elements right down to the unforgiving difficulty and limited regenerating health.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

People were complaining about fights with the black blobs being specifically annoying in the demo, are they still annoying?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Bioshock is like a lot of games where it has horror themes and elements but never fully becomes a horror game, really.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

HIJK posted:

Bioshock is like a lot of games where it has horror themes and elements but never fully becomes a horror game, really.

Condemned is another that really does this, poo poo gets spooky and there's tense and weird moments, but you're still beating crazy monster people with lead pipes at the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

While it could have been cut down it is in no way a "4 hour" game. It also handles Ripley's daughter very well.

all we needed to know about her daughter was in a cut scene from aliens. it's star wars prequels level dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

People were complaining about fights with the black blobs being specifically annoying in the demo, are they still annoying?

Not really. Keep in mind that I'm playing on PC so I've got a better aiming setup for quickly looking around and precise aiming, but apparently the PS4 demo had a glitch where the aim control was actually laggy until they patched it.

The bigger problem is that even Mimics on normal difficulty take a decent chunk of your health when you get hit, and there's a few locations in the early game where you get swarmed by 3 or 4 at a time. You pretty quickly learn to either run or use the GLOO Gun to hold them in place.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's more to horror then not having a lot of bullets. Bioshock never does anything that actually creates horror and makes you incredibly powerful pretty early on. Even the most action heavy good Resident Evil game, RE4, has enemies that are actually threatening and situations that use tension, enemy placement and atmosphere to create actually scary situations. RE4 might be goofy as gently caress but it actually uses horror effectively. Bioshock on the other hand makes you extremely strong and while it might be tense it never actually moves into horror. Enemies are mostly weak and predictable and you spend the entire game shooting fireballs and bees and ice cannons. There's just no horror there.

But you just prefaced all that with RE4? Where enemies are constantly slow, predictable and the game gives you the best weapon from the start? After a couple upgrades your OP as all hell and the remainder of the game all challenge is out the window. The hardest parts of RE4 are the terrible QTEs.

E: Also this conversation isn't particularly interesting or novel since you seem to spend all your time trying to quiz me on horror or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is leave me alone and don't try to use peoples mental problems against them.

Sorry for being interested, you're on the one that was trying to rouse me up with the "hurr hurr this might be too scary for little babby" jabs first and didn't even address you until 3 posts into it but whatever.

Yardbomb posted:

Condemned is another that really does this, poo poo gets spooky and there's tense and weird moments, but you're still beating crazy monster people with lead pipes at the end.

Like Silent Hill 2? :v:

Groovelord Neato posted:

all we needed to know about her daughter was in a cut scene from aliens. it's star wars prequels level dumb.

But that's basically all you know about her throughout the whole game really.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, it actually isn't.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I honestly forgot the main lady in Isolation was related to Ripley.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yardbomb posted:

I honestly forgot the main lady in Isolation was related to Ripley.

That's because despite neat mechanics the story is largely forgettable.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

the PS4 demo had a glitch where the aim control was actually laggy until they patched it.
Ah, thanks!

Yardbomb posted:

I think Condemned is actually a horror game, though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The only way Condemned isn't a horror game is if you're putting weird mechanical limitations on the genre like "must have less than X amount of combat".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I finally got around to finishing Cryostasis, and that was certainly a creepy, tense game with a few jump scares and some body horror. The "body heat as health" mechanic was novel, as was the setting of an old Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker.
Unfortunately it seems a bit unstable on a modern PC, but still looks good for an 8-year-old game. I think it was highly-rated at the time for having amazing Nvidia fluid physics but I couldn't be bothered fighting with my system to get that stuff activated. I was getting errors that suggested I was out of graphics memory, which seems unlikely given modern hardware, but fiddling with the shader model and texture settings helped here and there.

There's a tech demo of it on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfXIFFmB7M

I really liked the portrayal of the frozen ship, with cold sections covered in white fern-like frost, and snow drifts and ice. When you turn power on to areas and they warm up the frost melts and you see water running down the walls. The flashback sections are usually interesting and let you take part in trying to save the ship by fixing pressure doors or diving under water to weld things. Weapons are low tech for the most part, like swinging an old pipe valve, moving up to rifles and ending with a goofy water cannon that kills things by cooling them down, presumably. You get ammo for that by breaking icicles off the walls.
Anyway, I really enjoyed it but the ending is off-the-wall mental.

You can't buy the game any more, unfortunately. I have it on Steam but it's no longer available there. It's probably worth a watch on a Youtube longplay though if that's your thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cryostasis is one of my favorite games I will never play. The heat mechanics are so cool and the flashbacks are pretty neat. If it wasn't for the kind of clunky gameplay it would be amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cryostasis is pretty firmly in the 'watch a playthrough' territory since the gameplay is pretty dull when you're not engaging with the flashbacks and whatever. the story is neat in a background sort of way.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cyrostasis was a fantastic game. The only knocks was that combat felt really wonky even if you assume your dude to be untrained as far as combat goes, and the last boss was...weird.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Are the people behind Cryostasis and The Void the only ones putting out a distinct Russian/Eastern European Horror?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Like, do you find shooting bees at the Big Daddy's humorous or what? I don't get why that wouldn't make it horror; the whole game you're managing your resources which are usually always low in a dystopian world that was once a utopia being hunted by ravenous junkies. On the flip side you say Resident Evil is "mostly" good, but all of the RE games are filled with shlock, bad stories and enemies that are comparable to Big Daddies, giant snakes and spiders right out of the lowest budget 80s fantasy film, weird zombie women with huge racks because reasons, goofy dwarves dressed in Baroque attire and a giant man in bondage gear that attacks with 10 foot cocks and literally face fucks you to death with them.

What are the boundaries of the box you consider horror? Do you think the recent Doom was a horror game?

Doom was a horror game. We just happened to play as the slasher.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Like, do you find shooting bees at the Big Daddy's humorous or what? I don't get why that wouldn't make it horror; the whole game you're managing your resources which are usually always low in a dystopian world that was once a utopia being hunted by ravenous junkies. On the flip side you say Resident Evil is "mostly" good, but all of the RE games are filled with shlock, bad stories and enemies that are comparable to Big Daddies, giant snakes and spiders right out of the lowest budget 80s fantasy film, weird zombie women with huge racks because reasons, goofy dwarves dressed in Baroque attire and a giant man in bondage gear that attacks with 10 foot cocks and literally face fucks you to death with them.

What are the boundaries of the box you consider horror? Do you think the recent Doom was a horror game?

besides the lame art, i would disagree because of this. in bioshock it never felt like i was in any danger because a. you get free revives, forever, all the time and b. IDK none of my ammo ever got low. I had more items than I knew what to do with.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Part of why I didn't like BioShock was because eventually the best option was always to just suicide run any difficult enemies, especially since the big daddies keep their damage. It lost any tension because I knew I'd just pop back in without any penalty.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Every time someone talks about easy horror games I wonder if they ever actually tried playing the games on higher difficulties

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

bioshock's hardest difficulty level still infinitely revives you with no penalty. everything just takes longer

i should clarify that i dont think of this makes it not a 'horror game' it just prevented it from being scary for me

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GulagDolls posted:

bioshock's hardest difficulty level still infinitely revives you with no penalty. everything just takes longer

i should clarify that i dont think of this makes it not a 'horror game' it just prevented it from being scary for me

Do the achievement that requires you to never die.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The Vitachambers should have been checkpoints instead of unlimited revives, on this point there is consensus.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jukebox Hero posted:

Every time someone talks about easy horror games I wonder if they ever actually tried playing the games on higher difficulties

I played System Shock 2 so many times that I did a Wrench-only run at the hardest difficulty.

Those spiders are still terrifying.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZearothK posted:

I played System Shock 2 so many times that I did a Wrench-only run at the hardest difficulty.

Those spiders are still terrifying.

For some reason for me it's the goddamn monkeys, just hearing them scream makes me jump. They're not even THAT dangerous when you get a decent gun but still, god drat

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Horror is so dead to my hideous, jaded heart that I play it more for relaxation these days than genuine scares. I mostly look for good art design and decent mechanics. Oddly enough that's made FNaF (mostly 1 and 4) a favourite series from a pure mechanics standpoint and upcoming games like Agony and Scorn for art design.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Horror is so dead to my hideous, jaded heart that I play it more for relaxation these days than genuine scares. I mostly look for good art design and decent mechanics. Oddly enough that's made FNaF (mostly 1 and 4) a favourite series from a pure mechanics standpoint and upcoming games like Agony and Scorn for art design.

Alien Isolation might be for you. It has a great aesthetic, a retro 70s scifi art design and is just absolutely gorgeous which adds to that feeling of dread because of how small you feel.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Justin Godscock posted:

Alien Isolation might be for you. It has a great aesthetic, a retro 70s scifi art design and is just absolutely gorgeous which adds to that feeling of dread because of how small you feel.

I have tried it, the only problem is that it's a stretched out 6 hour game. It's got alot of fat to trim to make it a bit snappier paced. That sort of aesthetic is partly why I'm still looking forward to Routine (if it ever comes out).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always turn Vita-chambers off in Bioshock 1+2

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alien isolation does a lot of things well, but it's a rare thing when i'm actively sitting there and wondering why a game didn't end like 1 or 2 hours ago

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
The thing I'd love to see from an Alien game is something along the lines of Friday the 13th's asymetrical multiplayer. Humans trying to achieve an objective and escape/kill the Alien player. Alien attempting to kill or abduct everyone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The worst thing about being a horror fan is the more you like it, the less it works for you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kokoro Wish posted:

The thing I'd love to see from an Alien game is something along the lines of Friday the 13th's asymetrical multiplayer. Humans trying to achieve an objective and escape/kill the Alien player. Alien attempting to kill or abduct everyone.

I'd love to see more asymmetrical multiplayer games in general. I love Dead by Daylight, Friday the 13th looks like it'll be awesome, and... that's about it :smith:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Hopefully F13 inspires some copycats and the idea can take root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The pre-alpha demo for the Pathologic re-thing became freely available on Steam a little while ago. That's some good eatin' for dread.