Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Actually, I have reconsidered, and it's Robert Horry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Super Jay Mann posted:

What is this namby pamby kumbaya nonsense? You may personally think Hakeem or whoever else is the GOAT but you better be prepared to throw the gauntlet and back it up whenever somehow shows up and tells you that your preferred GOAT ain't worth jack. And if you can't do it then guess what, he's right and you're wrong.

I don't see any of these other supposed GOATs fasting for a month.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
LeBron has never tried to emulate Adolf Hitler, as far as we know.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Time posted:

Hakeem is the GOAT

Weird way to spell... Wang Zhizhi.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jota posted:

he just never had that killer instinct

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Hakeem also had the original cheap sponsored basketball shoe.

Shoutout if getting a pair of Spalding Dreams at Payless was all your parents could afford

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Jota posted:

He has, however, surpassed Nebuchadnezzar II

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_eCnTNt1Q

This to me is the definitive video log of the difference in styles played by post illegal defense rules and those before. I just wish he didn't have that stupid name. It's immediately apparent to me which side of the rule change those defenses fall under. Pre rule change they'd try to get away with what they could, after it was part of the game plan.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hakeem is ok for a shorter embiid i guess

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KGArea21/status/861768141696679936

Rondo clearly still really loving hates Ray Allen.

Edit: :laffo: just noticed Paul Pierce is sitting in a wheelchair

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

hakeem is ok for a shorter embiid i guess

:perfect:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maybe I'm just remembering this wrong but I feel like I very clearly remember the Celtics basically pushing Allen out and not even in a graceful way.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

gently caress you its MJ. Nobody is getting jumped and robbed over some loving lebrons

I dunno googling for people shot over shoes brings up a ton of recent results, but most of the stories don't bother naming the brand and make. Some of them even call them "tennis shoes" while telling a story about people playing basketball and I don't understand that at all

Anyhow LeBron in the past few years looks more like Jordan than anyone has since, so everyone ought to enjoy it because it might be another few decades before we'll get to watch someone individually dominate the game at the highest level the way LeBron is doing

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dexo posted:

Glen Davis has no thoughts except Ray Allen's fast food

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Hakeem is the GOAT

the goat is actually nick collison

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Noctone posted:

Maybe I'm just remembering this wrong but I feel like I very clearly remember the Celtics basically pushing Allen out and not even in a graceful way.

Nah he left to join the Heat in free agency but after the fact (and after the Brooklyn trade) he said he felt like Ainge was about to blow up the core

What the Celtics did afterwards (traditional "Boston loses a free agent" hit pieces followed up by, you know, blowing it up and using Allen as a scapegoat) is lovely and immature but whatever

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

the goat is actually nick collison

Actually,

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
perk says russ and kd are back on talking terms which both saddens me and warms my heart

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i hope russ secretly holds a grudge and brutally dunks on kevin durants corpse at his funeral

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Strong, honest. Straylin

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Speaking of rings/arbitrary GOAT measurements, that video reminded me that between his Boston and OKC runs Kendrick Perkins has played a totally inexplicably large amount of playoff minutes/games for mostly being a mean mugging prop.

Just did a quick BBR query. Between 2008-2014, Perk played the second most playoff games of any NBA player (Ray Allen was first). Down at 11th for minutes though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

attackmole posted:

Speaking of rings/arbitrary GOAT measurements, that video reminded me that between his Boston and OKC runs Kendrick Perkins has played a totally inexplicably large amount of playoff minutes/games for mostly being a mean mugging prop.

Just did a quick BBR query. Between 2008-2014, Perk played the second most playoff games of any NBA player (Ray Allen was first). Down at 11th for minutes though.

Didn't he have a negative PER somehow in OKC?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Dexo posted:

I'm pretty sure if Rondo could just say "gently caress RAY" and squeeze the ball until it deflated, he would have.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

attackmole posted:

At one point Kendrick could body up to Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum when those things were important to the Celtics and he looked decent in the C's defense next to KG.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Perk was a very important cog and he loving owns.

Bring Perk home Presti

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

They wheeled in that dummy in the Celtics shirt you can see in the background and Pierce just immediately tore it to pieces and switched seats.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Metapod posted:

Perk was a very important cog and he loving owns.

Bring Perk home Presti

That is what the Thunder need, another guy who can't shoot.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Declan MacManus posted:

Nah he left to join the Heat in free agency but after the fact (and after the Brooklyn trade) he said he felt like Ainge was about to blow up the core

What the Celtics did afterwards (traditional "Boston loses a free agent" hit pieces followed up by, you know, blowing it up and using Allen as a scapegoat) is lovely and immature but whatever

They tried to trade him (multiple times I think).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm sorry you can't appreciate good poo poo without thinking of negatives

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I mean, we're literally wasting two roster spots right now on a guy who should never be allowed to play NBA basketball again and a guy who for whatever reason we aren't allowing to play NBA basketball. gently caress it, sign Perk, he was a valuable locker room guy when we were young before, he can still do that much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Adun posted:

I don't see any of these other supposed GOATs fasting for a month.

Wilt may have fasted from sex for a month because sportswriters and team executives said he couldn't.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

excuse me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hho51tGRG20

look at that follow through

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The most amazing thing about that Celtics team is that it didn't implode considering that Rondo, Pierce, Allen, and KG all have a reputation for being dickish.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The most amazing thing about that Celtics team is that it didn't implode considering that Rondo, Pierce, Allen, and KG all have a reputation for being dickish.

it was actually going to implode but they discovered ubuntu and learned The Secret so it all worked out. That or a team full of seasoned vets figured out that you dont have to all like each other to be professionals and win games

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I remember when people said Mike Brown was a bad NBA coach. 8-0 domination. :eyepop:
Utah is a solid team and the Warriors just dominated them. First time two teams have started the playoffs 8-0 in the same season.

Femur posted:

Duncan got rings in all these guys eras, but he was deemed boring; are you a king if noone cared?

Yes, ignorance and confusion don't take away from his accomplishments. Even if the 2005 finals never gets mentioned.

Femur posted:

I believe Curry is clearly his nemesis, and the physical gap is what grinds Lebron, like tom,, & jerry. Silverspoon, frail, dude took all his thunder. His homecoming, to a team he hand picked,was immediately upstaged. GSW when on to suffocat the headlines the following season, there was no "team" mentioned with unanimous MVP was decided halfway through the season. Fans weren't coming hrs early to watch the team practice. Young fans werent going crazy over a "team. " Lebron went to ridiculous levels of passive aggressiveness to get attention, it was almost sad.

Maybe you feel the 3-1 finals where Lebron went out of his way to make steph look like the child he is front of Lebron, and balance was restored. But steph went out and got Durant, again suffocating the media landscape and upstaging what Lebron feels should have been his coronation season.

That's narrative and team perspective stuff that I don't necessarily disagree with. It's hard to fully psychoanalyze a player like that. LBJ has said he tunes all of that stuff out (especially in the playoffs). The Cavs and Warriors are nemeses to each other but I'm talking more on an individual level. Curry is not going to put up the body of work that LBJ has done. Curry doesn't have as many tools or the versatility of LeBron.

LBJ should've never expected to win a title with that 2015 team. Bad defense and a huge roster turnover.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

And you know what happened? crazy rear end mother fuckers like Jordan, rodman pushed that shut up several notches, and now you got Lebron. Yall act like Lebron came up with this poo poo on his own. Like crazy motherfucker Jordan captured our hearts and mind because of his unheard of relentless drives, creativity, playing amongst the trees.

Like steph languished for years cause noone had shown that jacking up 3s was a great strategy. Going against the grain takes a crazy mindset, and their experience benefits all who follow.

Kareem played before all of them but nobody has come close to topping his body of work since he retired nearly thirty years ago.

Reggie Miller is the original 3P guy who broke the mold.

Adun posted:

I think every person has their own GOAT because at the end of the day it's all subjective given different play styles, rules, and talent pools. To me the GOAT is the player who first captured your imagination. The player who you always pretended to be when you were a kid playing ball with your friends.

My first experience with basketball was as a newly arrived immigrant during the Clutch City era in Houston so my GOAT will always be Hakeem.

Kareem scored 38,387 points with a TS% of 59.2%. Two objective measurements that nobody has come close to replicating. At the current rate LBJ will have to score ~45,000 points to get near Kareem. Points are objectively the most important stat in the game.

LBJ is climbing the GOAT ladder but some are succumbing to an acute case of recency. If Kareem was playing today he'd be tweeting Quran verses to Donald Trump and trolling him while LBJ was off reading The Hunger Games and throwing his own strange Trumpesque rallies in Miami.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Zogo posted:

I remember when people said Mike Brown was a bad NBA coach. 8-0 domination. :eyepop:
Utah is a solid team and the Warriors just dominated them. First time two teams have started the playoffs 8-0 in the same season.
Lakers and Pistons did it.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Zogo posted:

The last time Mike Brown started 8-0 in the playoffs, he got buried in the Eastern Conference Finals. A bad omen, perhaps?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A real shame the warriors haven't won their last 9 playoff games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Jordan's game suffered when his dad got killed. Lebron will never fade that problem.

• Locked thread