Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrJacobs posted:

Stewart had several roles post tng. He had a bunch of tv movies, lovely and or low budget films, and theater work while doing tng movies and before X-Men. I still remember him as Ahab in some ABC version of Moby Dick in the mid 90s. Made First Contact a little funnier.

Until recently, this was the edition I owned. (Published by Tor!)

Finally upgraded to a proper Norton edition. Might have kept the other one as a novelty, but I need my annotations, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Timby posted:

Because Piller insisted that all the writers stay within "Roddenberry's Box."

The "Roddenbox".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As a regular reader of the Everest thread whenever it pops up in GBS, I was turned onto this great documentary on Netflix called Valley Uprising. It's about three generations of rock climbers in Yosemite and the advances they made and such. The first group treating each formation essentially like mountains and doing tool assisted climbs up them, and the later getting more brazen and athletic until people were just straight up free climbing El Capitan when only a few years prior it was essentially considered impossible to do even with tools over a long period of time.

What this brings me to is Shatner as Kirk free climbing El capitan in Trek V. First of all, Jesus Christ the people who were doing that poo poo were some of the most fit people I have ever seen, and Bill Shatner in 1980whatever is not that. Second of all is just how 80's that movie was.

"Go climb a rock".

Star Trek V's opening moments latch onto the rock climbing celebrity fad of the time that I didn't even know existed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Not even that. It's a giant hidden machine that manufactures robots to embody your fantasies and desires, and all working properly, but Kirk's crew were confused and didn't know that if you 'died' you just got whisked away and patched up and it was all part of the game.

Shore Leave Planet is basically Space Westworld.

remusclaw posted:

As a regular reader of the Everest thread whenever it pops up in GBS, I was turned onto this great documentary on Netflix called Valley Uprising. It's about three generations of rock climbers in Yosemite and the advances they made and such. The first group treating each formation essentially like mountains and doing tool assisted climbs up them, and the later getting more brazen and athletic until people were just straight up free climbing El Capitan when only a few years prior it was essentially considered impossible to do even with tools over a long period of time.

What this brings me to is Shatner as Kirk free climbing El capitan in Trek V. First of all, Jesus Christ the people who were doing that poo poo were some of the most fit people I have ever seen, and Bill Shatner in 1980whatever is not that. Second of all is just how 80's that movie was.

"Go climb a rock".

Star Trek V's opening moments latch onto the rock climbing celebrity fad of the time that I didn't even know existed.

Why is he climbing a mountain?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Astroman posted:

Shore Leave Planet is basically Space Westworld.

https://storage.googleapis.com/vidsums/671b6037-b8dd-419a-bd70-049fe77fd3b4.mp4?1494298948499

vv That is amazing. I had no idea. vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 9, 2017

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Astroman posted:

https://youtu.be/HU2ftCitvyQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even Gene's Vision and the Roddenberry Box would've been okay if they didn't have a network mandate to keep it episodic and not-continuity-heavy and yet as identical to TNG as possible. Remember that B&B's original plan didn't have the NX-01 launching for a dozen episodes as part of an ongoing buildup continuing storyline but the studio was just nixing everything and demanding TNG.

Star Trek's biggest issue since mid-TNG has always been too many hands pulling it all over the place and paralysing it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Remember that B&B's original plan didn't have the NX-01 launching for a dozen episodes as part of an ongoing buildup continuing storyline but the studio was just nixing everything and demanding TNG.

I didn't actually know this.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I knew Auberjonois played Mr. House, but Dorn?....

*checks IMDB*

:aaaaa:

New Vegas: best Fallout. Now, even best-er.

how did you not immediately recognize him as Marcus?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek's biggest issue since mid-TNG has always been too many hands pulling it all over the place and paralysing it.

I feel like the single biggest symptom of this is how the (what, three? four?]) initial Voyager producers couldn't agree on how Janeway should be written, so instead of finding a way to reach a consensus they just broke off and each wrote her how they thought was best.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doesn't Levar Burton direct a ton of stuff too? And now they're doing that new kickstarted Reading Rainbow thing.

Wil Wheaton eventually found his spot as a lolrandom internet personality and self-appointed brand ambassador for "geek culture" and I'm sure he does pretty well for himself, even if he's not really acting in the conventional sense anymore.

George Takei does his George Takei thing.

Having a role in Star Trek really only seems to doom your career if you let it, or if you're just not particularly talented. What the hell are yawners like Robert Beltran or Garrett Wang up to these days, pretty much solely relying on convention money?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tim Russ is a headline guest for our buttfuck backwater comiccon this year, next to the Red Ranger in the newest Power Rangers series and the voice of Donatello from the new movies.

Poor guy :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tom Paris and Harry Kim are gonna be minor guests at Phoenix Comicon in two weeks.

Edit: No confirmation yet if it's the quantum Harry Kim.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

It may not be acclaimed, but Bakula is leading an NCIS, that's drat lucrative.

Scott Bakula was a well known star before Trek.

Or are we all forgetting that Sam Beckett never made it home shut up I'm not crying you're crying.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm not crying... I'm... retarded?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spoeank posted:

I'm not crying... I'm... retarded?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

However, Dr. Sam Beckett did return home.

After 4 years stuck in Archer's body.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FedExit

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The character of Jonathan Archer seems to make a bit more sense if you imagine that it's four seasons of him being possessed by Sam Beckett.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

However, Dr. Sam Beckett did return home.

After 4 years stuck in Archer's body.

At first I got my Archer's screwed up.

and what a show that would be

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man, do I have a treat for you!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

At first I got my Archer's screwed up.

and what a show that would be

After five years of doing the right thing, Sam decides to have some fun and destroy a man's relationships and liver.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like the single biggest symptom of this is how the (what, three? four?]) initial Voyager producers couldn't agree on how Janeway should be written, so instead of finding a way to reach a consensus they just broke off and each wrote her how they thought was best.

Yeah Voyager had a crisis of leadership practically from day one. Michael Piller was sort of supposed to be steering the ship, but he was getting rapidly burnt out and left trek entirely (until Insurrection) not long into Voyager's run.

That left Jerri Taylor, of TNG season 7 showrunning fame, more or less in charge by default, but it's unclear if we can really blame her (she wrote some complete garbage episodes, but then... they all did.) Just because Taylor was the senior (actual) writer didn't mean she got to make the big decisions because Berman was by all accounts operating in full micromanager mode by then (partly because he'd written off DS9 and put all his hopes of a hit on Voyager).

See, Berman wasn't just the EP, he was "co-creator" and once Piller checked out, Taylor either couldn't or wouldn't protect the integrity of the writer's room from his "Gene's vision" absolutism and rampant TNG grave robbing. Voyager spent three years as its own (terrible) thing before Taylor either quit or got sidelined and Berman's beloved Brannon Braga took over and immediately turned it into a (differently terrible) TNG-lite.

There are no heros in this story, but I do think that Piller and Taylor's original Gonzo Odyssey could have been a great show if development hadn't been rushed and they'd had their poo poo remotely together. B&B's take on the show is frequently more watchable, but the winking sex, hammy Doctor/Seven stuff, and frequent action is mostly just a smokescreen for the fact that they had no handle on the (human) characters and had completely abandoned long form world building in favor of pollution aliens, predator rip-offs and wall-to-wall Borgs and holograms.

If they hadn't had the carcass of the original, bad but creative, Voyager to cannibalize, I'm fairly certain that Voyager would have become every bit as flat, antiseptic, and incoherent as early Enterprise was.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I don't know who got wooshed here but "I'm... retarded?" is one of the most ridiculous leap intros of the show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drone posted:

Wil Wheaton eventually found his spot as a lolrandom internet personality and self-appointed brand ambassador for "geek culture" and I'm sure he does pretty well for himself, even if he's not really acting in the conventional sense anymore.

Wil Wheaton is literally the first thing you see in the new MST3K series, and I pretty much quit right there.

MrJacobs posted:

I didn't recognise Armin Shimerman as Andrew Ryan in Bioshock ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Who owns the rights to Quantum Leap? I wouldn't be surprised if that thing got rebooted at some point (though it was already really good and deserves to just stay as it is).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Still working through the Fifty Year mission. Susan Sackett is a liar or delusional. Likely both.

I just got up to Gates McFadden leaving the show and Sackett claimed Patrick Stewart wanted her gone.

quote:

Susan Sackett

I don't think she [Gates] and Patrick worked well together. It was mainly his request. There were some acting conflicts. Some actors work better with other actors. Then they tried Diana Muldaur, but she couldn't remember her lines because she had a lot of technical things to say, so they brought back Gates. Gene had worked with Muldaur so he was fond of her and thought she'd do a good job, but this wasn't the right role for her.

It then proceeds to other people saying it had absolutely nothing to do with Patrick Stewart and of course had everything to do with Maurice Hurley being a loving creep.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 9, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drone posted:

Who owns the rights to Quantum Leap? I wouldn't be surprised if that thing got rebooted at some point (though it was already really good and deserves to just stay as it is).

NBC/Universal

I love Quantum Leap, but I'm not sure you can do that kind of show in 2017. I hate to be That Guy that points this out, but QL frequently featured a white man jumping into women and people of color (and a mentally challenged guy, twice) and fixing events that they couldn't get right the first time around. In 2017, that premise would be... problematic. And yes, I know, QL almost always treated that kind of issue pretty well for the early 90's.

That said, I always imagined QL coming back with a female lead. You could do a continuation of sorts, where someone on Beckett's team realizes he's actually their father (thanks to time travel shenanigans) and does the same blind leap in an attempt to find him and bring him home. That gives you a loose recurring plotline and an excuse to bring back Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I didn't recognise Armin Shimerman as Andrew Ryan in Bioshock ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That doesn't quite count since Ryan different from his normal speaking voice. Marcus is just Michael Dorn reading a page as Micheal Dorn (and doing it well)

Drone posted:

If they follow the same rules as before where the leaps can only take place during the individuals lifetime lets just pray they choose someone over 30 or everything will be shades of Blossom and 90210.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That said, I always imagined QL coming back with a female lead.

A Quantum Leap spinoff series from the point of view of the "evil" leaper would be pretty great. She leaps around, wronging what once went right, getting reality TV stars elected president, etc.

In seriousness though you make a valid point, and it'd pretty much have to be an HBO or Netflix thing. No network would distribute a show like Quantum Leap these days, because even after like 25 years the concept is still too bold and the TV audience is even less receptive to introspective narrative than it was back then.

MrJacobs posted:

That doesn't quite count since Ryan different from his normal speaking voice. Marcus is just Michael Dorn reading a page as Micheal Dorn (and doing it well)

Shimerman also voices a handful of Salarians in the Mass Effect series. That was always one of those things I never realized but then once I read it, it became just so clear.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 9, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zesty posted:

Still working through the Fifty Year mission. Susan Sackett is a liar or delusional. Likely both.

I just got up to Gates McFadden leaving the show and Sackett claimed Patrick Stewart wanted her gone.

It then proceeds to other people saying it had absolutely nothing to do with Patrick Stewart and of course had everything to do with Maurice Hurley being a loving creep.

Yeah the book does everything but put 2 and 2 together for you and accuse Maurice Hurley of sexual harassment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

I didn't actually know this.

The studio really wanted another sequel to TNG, because they wanted those sweet sweet unachievable TNG ratings, and it took a huge amount of negotiation to get a prequel. The entire temporal cold war plot existed solely to appease the studio that it's totally really a sequel and not just a prequel.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MrJacobs posted:

Because Marcus never blathers incessantly about his family's honor or Super Mutant Operas.

Super Mutant Opera, by the way, would be loving amazing. But I digress.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

NBC/Universal

I love Quantum Leap, but I'm not sure you can do that kind of show in 2017. I hate to be That Guy that points this out, but QL frequently featured a white man jumping into women and people of color (and a mentally challenged guy, twice) and fixing events that they couldn't get right the first time around. In 2017, that premise would be... problematic. And yes, I know, QL almost always treated that kind of issue pretty well for the early 90's.

That said, I always imagined QL coming back with a female lead. You could do a continuation of sorts, where someone on Beckett's team realizes he's actually their father (thanks to time travel shenanigans) and does the same blind leap in an attempt to find him and bring him home. That gives you a loose recurring plotline and an excuse to bring back Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula.

I agree, but there are plenty of ways the premise can be executed that aren't offensive or tone deaf. I'm not sure if the show is necessary, though, since I suspect QL holds up well enough on its own with just the slightest forgiveness for early 90's bullshit. It's not like BSG, where the tone and scope of the remake would be miles away from the original. If that's an example of something that could have used a remake, QL may be the opposite. It isn't perfect, but I suspect that it holds up as well as the original BSG doesn't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watching Best of Both Worlds. Man, 'Resistance is futile' and 'Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own' were so much better back when they were just random things the Borg said in conversation with Picard rather than catchphrases. It's much more chilling. Especially the 'Death is irrelevant'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N75XngwbZQY&t=170s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The borg were definitely a trap for writers and showrunners.

Something super cool and different, so people want to see more! More borg is better for ratings.

But, more borg makes the borg less cool, little by little, every time. It's either samey, or too explainey. Either way a bit of a disappointment.

It would have taken some very deft handling to tell us more about the borg and keep them so alien. It was certainly possible, but it didn't happen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Borg were originally supposed to be the chestburster aliens from "Conspiracy", a race of extragalactic insectoid parasites.

I'm really glad we got what we got.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

The Borg were originally supposed to be the chestburster aliens from "Conspiracy", a race of extragalactic insectoid parasites.

I'm really glad we got what we got.

True, but they slowly swerved toward Space Zombies anyhow. It was just to easy/tempting to follow the trope of least resistance.

The first appearances of the borg really are great scifi though, probably especially Q's (non)explanation for them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The recurring quality of the Borg is what did for them as serious villains, and also Star Trek as a franchise. They showed up in BOBW and said assimilate and resistance is futile, so those are now what they say every time -- not because it's what makes sense for their "character" to say in a given situation, but because that's what the Borg are supposed to say and these guys are Borg so they better say it. This kind of memetic approach to storytelling crops up a lot in long running franchises and it's almost always a sign of creative disaster. You can see it really badly in The Simpsons as well for example, as the writer's room became more and more inclined to mistake the types of humor the show employed, such as current event cultural references and celebrity cameos, for the humor itself.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kind of like how the robes Obi-wan Kenobi wore on Tattooine -- basically, the type of clothes someone would naturally wear if they lived on a desert planet -- became The Official Robe Of The Jedi.

Yes, we're back to Star Wars chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Sir Lemming posted:

Kind of like how the robes Obi-wan Kenobi wore on Tattooine -- basically, the type of clothes someone would naturally wear if they lived on a desert planet -- became The Official Robe Of The Jedi.

Yes, we're back to Star Wars chat

Dexter Jettster comes from a planet where 90% of the population owns or operates a diner. The Dinerians are masters of cooking breakfast foods and hamburgers. Billions of space-commuters stop by the planet every morning for a cup of coffee and some hash. Dexter Jettster had a vision that one day he would need to dispense some advice to a Jedi so he moved his diner to Coruscant to await his destiny.

vermin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 9, 2017