Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Okay, unprovoked Recent-Archie-History Time.

I skim the current Archie issues at the newsstand sometimes and like them, but I had no idea about the rest of this stuff. What were they using the Hells Angel's for? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks to this thread, I just bought Archie vs. The Predator.

It opens up as a completely normal and benign Archie comic, minus Reggie getting the "gosh-darn sexual tyrannosaur" line.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Nah, wasnt mentioned in the show at all, and its unlikely to be in the future either (its a part of the backstory in the comic, when shes introduced it was already in the past, and in the show they change that part of the backstory) . The closest they came is the "super suit" that Trish tried to give Jessica, which was a very close match to the "Jewel" costume. The name "Power Man" gets a nod in one episode of Luke Cage I think, but even in the comics he's been better known as Luke Cage to everyone for longer than anyone really called him Power Man (because its a drat stupid name). I got my threads mixed up and thought I was in the Netflix marvel thread, so it didnt occur to me that you werent a comicbook nerd who would know that already!

It actually was mentioned in the show, when trish showed off the dress she suggested the name "jewel" and jessica shot it down.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Last chance, guys!

Those aren't pics of me

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

open24hours has a new favorite as of 04:24 on May 9, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I think it's nice that they are willing to use a time machine to send their products to citizens of the Confederacy, USSR and North Korea. (Not so much time machine with the last one, more like smugglers.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Union-backed militants are smart. The Confederate government are too busy having a political row with the Imperials to notice the bomb parts came from an alternate reality.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 04:36 on May 9, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Can I be a little pendant here and point out that flag is just one of the battle flags, and not THE actual flag of the Confederacy?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Can I be a little pendant here and point out that flag is just one of the battle flags, and not THE actual flag of the Confederacy?

No.

Definition of pendant
: something suspended: such as
a : an ornament (as on a necklace) allowed to hang free A turquoise pendant hung on her necklace.
b : an electrical fixture suspended from the ceiling hung an incandescent light pendant from the ceiling over the reading area
: a hanging ornament of roofs or ceilings much used in the later styles of Gothic architecture
: a length of line usually used as a connector on a boat or ship; especially : a short rope hanging from a spar and having at its free end a block or spliced thimble (see thimble 2a)
chiefly British : pennant 1a
a : companion piece The portrait of his father is a pendant to the one of his mother.
b : something secondary or supplementary The illustration is an apt pendant to the poem.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sure, this is you now:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Last chance, guys!

Sounds like a good time to grab a hoe

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
It's always a good time to grab a hoe!

Last Chance posted:

Those aren't pics of me
We know your secret, but it's OK, we won't judge.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Okay, unprovoked Recent-Archie-History Time.

Serious question: How did the Ken Penders debacle play into this? Was that too early? (I think he got fired right after Sonic 2006.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I skim the current Archie issues at the newsstand sometimes and like them, but I had no idea about the rest of this stuff. What were they using the Hells Angel's for? :stare:

Well, in the TV series, they're instrumental in a criminal real estate deal.

The show is so, so dumb. Yet I cannae look away. Also helped that the costume design is en pointe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How about a marketing disaster from the public sector? In 2017 the Republic of Finland will reach its centennial, and it's obviously an important occasion to celebrate Finnish history, nationhood, values, etc. Two weeks or so ago the Finnish government unveiled the commerorative coins they would be minting in honour of the centennial. These are collector's items not intended for circulation.

So what better occasion to celebrate history and national brotherhood then to mint a coin featuring the illegal execution of prisoners during the Finnish Civil War?

Yeah, it raised a bit of kerfuffle to for being in bad taste, and the design was withdrawn. The designer defended it as bringing to light the more uncomfortable parts of history, which one might suppose is reasonable. But to make it dumber, historians think that the photo of the massacre was staged - apparently as some kind of morbid joke. So it's a coin depicting a fake photo of a massacre to celebrate a history.

And yet it wasn't even the worst thing they had decided to stamp on a coin. The worst design got less attention. It's titled "Global Justice" and its on the middle left below. And it's a bit :nms:

That's right, it's Alan Kurdi's body being carried by a lifeguard. Go ahead and put that on a coin to celebrate a nation-state's centennial :barf:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

All this talk about fast food and it made me remember some people saying that McDonalds in Malaysia actually managed to beat KFC at their own game with their fried chicken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrXt-jvWaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nflu63DwUkk

"There's nothing like it" is definitely designed to troll KFC.

You can tell KFC is trying to counter this. With sex and memes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16Z9gcMjbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIsRlYaaT8
Spicy KFC beats the hell out of mcds ayam goreng. Every time I've had the mcds stuff it was kinda soggy and had no noticeable crunchiness at all. That said, double spicy chicken mcdeluxe is way better than the zinger, and plus KFC doesn't have 24 hour delivery so it kinda evens out.

I'd never actually eaten KFC in my life before I moved to Malaysia and I was shocked and disappointed to find out that the choice of regular/spicy isn't a thing that exists in the west. Sorry about your tasteless greasechunks, ya blandos.

I think I am doomed to be a terrible student stereotype forever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Double Punctuation posted:

Serious question: How did the Ken Penders debacle play into this? Was that too early? (I think he got fired right after Sonic 2006.)

I dunno, but speaking of Archie Sonic, scuttlebutt from insiders is that the Archie Sonic series is ending soon, due to a combination of Archie wanting to go into a different direction, dwindling popularity of Sonic's games, and Sega wanting too much for the license.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
God now I miss living in Indonesia.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How about a marketing disaster from the public sector? In 2017 the Republic of Finland will reach its centennial, and it's obviously an important occasion to celebrate Finnish history, nationhood, values, etc. Two weeks or so ago the Finnish government unveiled the commerorative coins they would be minting in honour of the centennial. These are collector's items not intended for circulation.

So what better occasion to celebrate history and national brotherhood then to mint a coin featuring the illegal execution of prisoners during the Finnish Civil War?

Yeah, it raised a bit of kerfuffle to for being in bad taste, and the design was withdrawn. The designer defended it as bringing to light the more uncomfortable parts of history, which one might suppose is reasonable. But to make it dumber, historians think that the photo of the massacre was staged - apparently as some kind of morbid joke. So it's a coin depicting a fake photo of a massacre to celebrate a history.

And yet it wasn't even the worst thing they had decided to stamp on a coin. The worst design got less attention. It's titled "Global Justice" and its on the middle left below. And it's a bit :nms:

That's right, it's Alan Kurdi's body being carried by a lifeguard. Go ahead and put that on a coin to celebrate a nation-state's centennial :barf:

Belgium had a 2007 coin featuring Leopold II
Nothing gonna top that until Germany mints a Hitler coin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finland must be loving dire if all they can come up with for a commemorative coin celebrating their country is staged war atrocities and a drowned child

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maryland has Booth’s Escape Scenic Byway.

I’ve always thought that was in poor taste.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HAT FETISH posted:

Spicy KFC beats the hell out of mcds ayam goreng. Every time I've had the mcds stuff it was kinda soggy and had no noticeable crunchiness at all. That said, double spicy chicken mcdeluxe is way better than the zinger, and plus KFC doesn't have 24 hour delivery so it kinda evens out.

I'd never actually eaten KFC in my life before I moved to Malaysia and I was shocked and disappointed to find out that the choice of regular/spicy isn't a thing that exists in the west. Sorry about your tasteless greasechunks, ya blandos.

FYI, KFC is introducing delivery in Malaysia although right now it's in select locations only.

The series of ads for it is probably the most millennial-hipster Malaysian thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDTH7yHExk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyksjZS1mJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wBuA8rU8H8

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Has anyone else gotten their re-issue USA flag with bald eagle watermark yet?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

HAT FETISH posted:

wtf no wonder people keep saying kfc original is good if they dont have spicy kfc.

Yeah, I just tried the ayam goreng and it's quite a bit salty for me. Might be a bad batch though

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Belgium had a 2007 coin featuring Leopold II
Nothing gonna top that until Germany mints a Hitler coin.

But you see, he was doing that on his own dime and it shouldn't reflect negatively on the Belgium people even though they benefited directly from it.

In the worldwide ranking for rape, Belgium and the United States are like tied. In both our gender and human rights records, we're like two bros with popped collars nodding our heads, "sup" as we pass one another on the street.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
United stuffed the rabbit in a freezer.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ight/312724001/

Source is the dailymail though so...but,

"United also had the rabbit was cremated following its death without the permission of the owners, making an autopsy to determine what exactly happened impossible, Cook said. That action by the airline was tantamount to "destroying evidence" in the case, he said. "

edit: fixed link, spelling. stupid autocorrect is annoying today.

Lime Tonics has a new favorite as of 15:03 on May 9, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of airlines, Ryanair harasses a musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBEuy8oFlw

Is this an attempt to make a viral thing? The "Go Ryanair!"s at the end were pretty weird.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

FYI, KFC is introducing delivery in Malaysia although right now it's in select locations only.
My local one has had it for a year now :smug: Their online menu is weirdly limited and keeps shifting around though, like if you want a zinger or any of the limited time stuff you have to order over the phone.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of airlines, Ryanair harasses a musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBEuy8oFlw

Is this an attempt to make a viral thing? The "Go Ryanair!"s at the end were pretty weird.

Probably. They like doing the PR routine of baiting the media they are considering standing room only to get easy coverage.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, United again,

Kansas City mom humiliated, shamed after forced to pee in cup on United flight, she says

http://www.kctv5.com/story/35386267/kansas-city-mom-humiliated-shamed-after-forced-to-pee-in-cup-on-united-flight-she-says

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
"forced" is a little disingenuous. The plane was experiencing turbulence and she couldn't stay standing in line for the bathroom and they told her to sit down. She makes a remark about having to pee in a cup - and then she does. Who actually does that? Hell yeah if I was a flight attendant I'd be pissed.

"oh guys I really gotta take a poo poo but I can't get up so I'm just gonna dump in the vomit bag"

United is garbage but I gotta side with them on this one. Or at least say that the lady is dumb as hell for peeing in cups on a plane, especially during turbulence. I'm sure there was piss everywhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't condone peeing into a cup in pretty much all circumstances.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Joey Freshwater posted:

"forced" is a little disingenuous. The plane was experiencing turbulence and she couldn't stay standing in line for the bathroom and they told her to sit down. She makes a remark about having to pee in a cup - and then she does. Who actually does that? Hell yeah if I was a flight attendant I'd be pissed.

"oh guys I really gotta take a poo poo but I can't get up so I'm just gonna dump in the vomit bag"

United is garbage but I gotta side with them on this one. Or at least say that the lady is dumb as hell for peeing in cups on a plane, especially during turbulence. I'm sure there was piss everywhere.

They did let her get up as soon as she had cups full of pee, though. Also telling her that she created a biohazard through her overactive bladder, which isn't exactly her fault.

You'd think that considering the news lately, United flight attendants would be a hell of a lot more careful about how they handle customers.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Well no poo poo they let her get up because she was holding cups of piss. Should the flight attendant taken them away for her? There's also nothing in the story about how long the turbulence lasted or when she was made to get up to throw her pisscup away. It was likely after the turbulence or after other passengers complained because, holy poo poo that lady is pissing in cups on a plane.

But yeah, let her go into the bathroom when the pilot has said there's turbulence, and when that turbulence hits she can fall over and crack her head open. That probably would have gone over better than this story, you're right.

It sucks that she has an overactive bladder but the rules of sitting during turbulence are there for her safety. It was her dumbass idea to piss in cups, not the flight attendants.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 23:34 on May 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have heard that turbulence can get bad quickly, but if I had an overactive bladder I’d take my chances if the alternative was peeing in a cup.

What’s United going to do about it? Assault me? :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How did she manage to piss in cups in a crowded turbulent plane?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Did she piss in the tiny was cups they give you for the in flight refreshment? Holy lol if so

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Should had pissed before going on the plane

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is why we need these in the backs of every seat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
United again,

United Airlines Agent Cancels Passenger's Reservation for Recording With His Phone

As NBC Bay Area reports, the 4 a.m. confrontation occurred at the New Orleans International Airport over the past weekend. Passenger Navang Oza, 37, said he was checking in for his flight home to San Francisco and was told by the ticket agent it would cost $300 to check a bag that had cost him $125 to check on his way there.

In trying to find out why the cost increased, Oza said, "the lady was being rude.” Oza said he started recording the interaction with his phone, to which the employee objected. In the video, she appears to instruct an agent to her left to “cancel the reservation.”

"I was shocked, because I didn't know she had the right to cancel my flight because I started recording," he said.

The airline apoologized and said it is investigating the incident.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...lFlowFB_CHBrand