Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Fire emblem is going to be good?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

Timelapse of the MoD lords into their promotion portraits. Threw in the FE7 portrait because it made laugh

I dunno if I like Lilina's pauldrons. The rest is good though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
any news about shadow of valencia

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Uh, anything in particular? It's releasing in like, a week.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Terper posted:

Uh, anything in particular? It's releasing in like, a week.

well that's a start i guess, as far as news goes

is it good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&pagenumber=835&perpage=40#post472066044

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

is it good

Endorph posted:

a nice long review here

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stop cutting in line Terper!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurtofan posted:

is it good

its bad, don't buy it.

low growths, bad maps, no class diversity and its like a full 25% bad jank!!!!

Those are all the bad things people have said, most of it seems good from goon reviews

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i've read the review, thanks friends

i will save this game for a rainy day (when the game flows dry)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like 75% good jank 25% bad jank

I stand by this. Make of this what you will when making purchasing decisions

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I spend a lot of my free time reading 75% bad jank posts and 25% good jank posts, seems like an upgrade

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

I spend a lot of my free time reading 75% bad jank posts and 25% good jank posts, seems like an upgrade

wow, cant believe i make up 25% of all posts

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cake Attack posted:

wow, cant believe i make up 25% of all posts

you should be proud of being a third of all bad jank posts

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ch21 of FE6 was cool
it actually made bern feel like it commanded legions of wyverns more effectively than FE7 manages too i think
like theres Vaidas squadron in the map you get pent and louise but theyre pretty much meant to be kept away from

also i have no money but many boots now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i've read the review, thanks friends

i will save this game for a rainy day (when the game flows dry)

pretty sure all games flow dry, tho i guess gba and gb games were able to survive a washer journey

at least my pokemon red cartidge did

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I would pay top dollar for a Gheb Saga cart just to display it under the front counter when I open a store in a couple years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually while im typing about it here is a big-rear end post that whoever makes the echoes op can feel free to copy/paste since i imagine this will get asked a ton

VILLAGER PROMOTION GUIDE

GRAY
Lvl. 5 Villager

HP: 24 (45%)
Str: 9 (40%)
Skl: 4 (30%)
Spd: 4 (30%)
Lck: 2 (25%)
Def: 4 (25%)
Res: 2 (0%)

Spell List: Fire Arrow (Lv 9) Thunder (Lv 10) Recover (Sage Lv 1)

Gray is the bruiser of the villagers, with insanely high base str and a great growth in it, a good hp growth, and mediocre growths and bases everywhere else. As such, he favors classes that allow him to leverage his high strength and also fix his speed issues.

Mercenary: Is such a great choice that it's basically the default for him. Its high base speed will fix his issues there for almost the entire game, and he can make great use of the Levin Sword if Alm doesn't feel like wielding it. It's a class with basically no downsides for him, especially since Alm gets no default mercenaries and the other male villagers are arguably worse at it than he is.

Cavalier: Is okay. Unlike the massive boost to speed Mercenary gives him, Cavalier will only slightly patch it up by a couple points, but it makes him into a far-moving beatstick. Compared to Clive, Alm's main cavalier, he'll be slightly stronger, slightly slower, and noticeably less tanky. Essentially, he'll be moving around finishing units off or covering for other people's misses.

Archer Is basically the same as Cavalier, just that in exchange for being more inaccurate and not getting any speed boost at all he won't have to move into danger. Compared to Python, Alm's main archer, he'll be slightly stronger and noticeably slower. Again, not a great trade. And with his low skill and the accuracy of bows, he will be missing a lot.

Soldier Doesn't even begin to fix his speed issues, but it actually makes him fairly tanky, and with his high strength he can make a great wall, tanking hits and crippling units so allies can finish them off on your turn. The main issue is that Alm already has both Forsythe and Lukas, the former of which actually has a speed base and growth and the latter of which will be slightly tankier in exchange for having slightly less strength.

Mage A weird choice. Gray doesn't learn anything besides the default Fire spell for a while, and his spell list is extremely limited compared to the other villagers. However, he learns arrow, a 1-3 spell with high power, much earlier than Kliff and Faye do, and Tobin doesn't learn it at all. It's still not much of a claim to fame, and this still doesn't fix his speed issues, but much like with Archer, he can leverage his high Str from far away, and with spells that have higher accuracy than bows.

Overall:

Mercenary > Cavalier > Mage > Soldier > Archer

KLIFF
Lvl. 1 Villager

HP: 20 (35%)
Str: 7 (30%)
Skl: 1 (45%)
Spd: 2 (60%)
Lck: 10 (20%)
Def: 3 (40%)
Res: 8 (0%)

Spell List: Fire Thunder (Lv 4) Excalibur (Lv 9) Arrow (Lv 15) Aura (Sage Lv 5) Recover (Sage Lv 1)

If Gray is the bruiser, Kliff is the speedster - but he also has the best Def of the guys and a decent enough str base to cover himself for a while. On the flipside, his base skill and speed are so low that he can have a tiny bit of trouble actually getting the levels he needs to promote early on. It's not a huge issue or anything, but you do have to be conscious of him and feed him a few kills. It's worth it, though, and once he promotes he's fine due to how promotion works in Echoes. Well, once he promotes, depending on how you promote him.

Mercenary: It immediately fixes his low base speed and skill, but he can actually develop a small strength problem in this class, and Gray is much more suited to it. However, if you've opted to make Gray something else and still want a Mercenary, Kliff is a much better option than Tobin for this class.

Cavalier: It has all the problems of Mercenary, with half the benefits. He does have the growths to do okay as a sort of speed cavalier, but Clive is a passable enough Cavalier on his own, and he'll get totally outclassed once you get the endgame dump of pre-promoted cavaliers. Not really recommended.

Soldier lets make the guy whose saving grace is his speed growth an armor knight. It won't improve his speed at all, so he will be getting doubled constantly until his growth kicks in. And the base defense isn't very high, so it's not like he'll be noticeably tanky either, at least not until he promotes again to armor knight. In the long run he'll probably be better than Lukas, but unless you feed him levels all throughout the early game he'll just be constantly behind Lukas.

Archer With his high speed, he can double from afar once he gets going, but it won't fix his low speed base, so it'll be a while before he actually is doubling.

Mage When you saw that spell list, you probably figured this was his default, and you'd be right. However, it's not without its problems. He learns excalibur and arrow at a fairly late level, and his low base speed won't be improved at all by the promotion, so he will suffer for a time. It basically makes him into even more of a project unit, but once he promotes he'll have great spells and strong stats, and he'll easily be on par, if not better, than any of the other mages Alm gets.

Overall:

Mage > Mercenary >> Archer = Cavalier > Soldier

SHUT UP, TOBIN

Lvl 2 Villager

HP: 22 (40%)
Str: 7 (30%)
Skl: 2 (50%)
Spd: 6 (25%)
Lck: 4 (30%)
Def: 3 (30%)
Res: 4 (0%)

Spells: Fire Excalibur (Lv 6) Recover (Sage Lv 1) Physic (Sage Lv 5)

If Gray is the strong one and Kliff is the fast one, Tobin is the poo poo one. He has terrible growths in just about everything except Luck and Defense, which are average, and Speed, which is garbage. However, his good speed base means he's still workable, and you don't really have a choice in whether or not you use him due to the small cast size of Echoes anyway.

Mercenary If you dont make Kliff or Gray one, you definitely want to make Tobin one. Mercenary is a good class with fantastic bases, and Tobin will be, uh, okay at it. Not great, but he'll do fine. It's more just making him a mercenary to have one than him bringing anything to the table, though. I guess high skill and luck = crits?

Cavalier Isn't really much help. He has a high base speed but not so high that it'll be above the cavalier bases, his offensive and defensive growths are kind of mediocre, and he's the frailest of the villagers. If the others are competing with Clive, he's just flatout worse than them.

Soldier is slightly better than Cavalier, since by the time he hits knight it'll patch up his defense, but you need to feed him a lot of exp to get to that quickly or else he'll just kind of be deadweight.

Archer Is more a choice by default than him being good in it. His high skill and luck will fix the accuracy issues of bows, and since he'll be so far away from the frontlines his defense and low speed won't put him in any danger, but he won't have much strength. He'll just be a walking chip damage dealer.

Mage Is actually an option! His spell list is much smaller than Kliff's, but Excalibur is an extremely good spell (it's basically a Killer weapon), and he learns it much earlier than Kliff. Physic will also be extremely good once he promotes, and it's unique to him among mages, with only a lategame prepromote healer and Cleric!Faye learning it besides him. His main issue is that he learns neither thunder nor arrow, so he's limited to 1-2 range instead of 1-3. But due to his high base speed, he'll actually be doubling early on as a mage, unlike Kliff and Gray, which feeds into how early he gets Excalibur, and once he has Excalibur random crits will keep him in the green.

Overall:

Archer = Mage > Mercenary > Soldier > Cavalier

FAYE

Level 1 Villager

HP: 19 (40%)
Str: 9 (40%)
Skl: 1 (30%)
Spd: 2 (30%)
Lck: 6 (30%)
Def: 3 (40%)
Res: 6 (3%)

Learned Spells (Cleric): Recover Nosferatu Physic (Lv 6) Rescue (Lv 10) Angel (Saint Lv 1) Again (Saint Lv 14)
Learned Spells (Mage): Fire Angel (Lv 8) Arrow (Lv 12) Recover (Priestess Lv 1) Freeze (Priestess Lv 6)

Faye is the all-rounder of the bunch. Due to being female, she loses Mercenary, Archer, and Soldier in exchange for Cleric and Pegasus Knight. Considering those two are amazing, in-demand classes, I'd say that's a fair trade.

Cavalier Faye has the growths to make a decent one, but her other options are just more unique. As a cavalier, she'll be a slightly better version of Clive, on par with two of the four (!!) lategame paladins, and worse than the other two. If you can get her early levels and promote her before Clive, she'll do pretty good, but you could say the same for her other classes. She isn't bad in this class, it's just not making use of her unique options.

Mage She doesn't learn Excalibur, which sucks, but the other villagers don't get Angel as Mages. Freeze is also unique to her, and is a pretty decent spell to have laying around. However, she gets Angel as a Saint, and Freeze isn't TOO amazing a spell. She'll do fine in this class, she has good growths and good spells, but again, her unique options are, well, more unique.

Pegasus Knight It's basically just Cavalier+. She still moves far, but she flies and it does more to fix her low base skill/speed. She's slower than Claire, Alm's only other Pegasus Knight, but in exchange she's both stronger and far more durable. A durable peg knight is a fun time.

Cleric Alm only gets one other healer for about 70% of the game, and having two clerics is a godsend in a game where spells cost HP to cast. More than that, she gets some great spells - an extremely early Physic, Rescue which is basically unique to her, Again which is literally unique to her (though it comes very late), and Angel so she can do some damage to monsters. It's slightly wasting her decent bulk, but on the flipside, hey, a healer who can take a couple hits is always nice. Just look at Moulder.

Overall:

Cleric > Pegasus Knight > Mage >> Cavalier

ATLAS: Y'GUYS GONNA GO FINISH OFF THAT BASTARD, GEYSE?

Lvl 10 VIllager

HP: 30 (45%)
Str: 14 (50%)
Skl: 3 (30%)
Spd: 3 (25%)
Lck: 4 (25%)
Def: 5 (25%)
Res: 4 (0%)

Spells: Fire Arrow (Lv 8) Recover (Sage Lv 1) Rescue (Sage Lv 4)

Atlas is Celica's only villager, and she gets him about 1/3rd of the way through the game. He's basically a more extreme version of Grey - he's a giant sack of HP and STR, with no other redeeming qualities.

Mercenary Now, Atlas makes a decent one - it fixes his skill and speed immediately, letting him leverage his massive STR - but Celica already has a fuckton of them, most of whom are better than him (except maybe Kamui). And they'll all be higher level than Atlas by this point. In a vacuum, it's a good option for him, but it basically makes him just another sword guy, which is both boring and doesn't do much to help him standout.

Soldier Celica already has Valbar, who, again, would be higher level than him and do his job about as well. It does fix his defense issues once he hits Knight, but it doesn't fix his skill at all. Having another wall can be handy, but he still wouldn't do a ton. And being low on move would mean he gets less chances to hit dudes with his STR stick.

Archer Well, here's one way to fix his defense issues. He would have accuracy issues still, but he'd do massive damage once he did hit, unlike Leon who's a bit on the weaker side - and Leon is his only competition on Celica's route, and unlike Valbar he isn't perfect at his job, so having another archer could be useful.

Cavalier Celica has no cavaliers, but she spends a third of her route in a desert and having a slow guy with no defense running headfirst into the enemy formation doesn't seem like a great time

Mage His spell list is tiny and he doesn't learn Excalibur, but you know what he does learn? Rescue. Rescue is a great spell, and it's extremely hard to come by - only he and Cleric!Faye learn it. Not to mention, spells have fixed accuracy, so it'd fix his skill issues, and using arrow from three spaces away would fix his defense issues. And his massive STR would lead to longer range rescues and better healing. Celica's route does have a lot of mages, but if you're using him mostly as a supportive unit once he promotes, he's only really competing with Genny.

Overall:

Mage = Archer > Mercenary > Cavalier > Soldier.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 9, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Alm doesn't really need a second healer tbh so if you make Faye a cleric you should do it because of her bonkers spells, not because you think a second healer is mandatory. Also, the levin sword+merc promotion is a way to take any villager and say "your stats don't matter, you are now Good." I think it's a good fit for Tobin for that reason, since everyone else can be Good without it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Alm doesn't really need a second healer tbh so if you make Faye a cleric you should do it because of her bonkers spells, not because you think a second healer is mandatory. Also, the levin sword+merc promotion is a way to take any villager and say "your stats don't matter, you are now Good." I think it's a good fit for Tobin for that reason, since everyone else can be Good without it.
a second healer isn't mandatory but it's really nice to have, especially in a game where even 'no damage' attacks still do 1 damage and spells cost HP to cast. Same reason a lot of people deploy both Prissy and Serra in FE7 even though you realistically only need Prissy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I only ever used Priscilla so I guess that's just the kind of person I am

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

actually while im typing about it here is a big-rear end post that whoever makes the echoes op can feel free to copy/paste since i imagine this will get asked a ton

VILLAGER PROMOTION GUIDE

Okay that all sounds good but which options look the best and have the best animations? Also, who are the cooler characters so I know who I should put more thought into rather than choosing whichever class I have least of at the time?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Okay that all sounds good but which options look the best and have the best animations? Also, who are the cooler characters so I know who I should put more thought into rather than choosing whichever class I have least of at the time?

Alm's starting army is a lord, a soldier, and four villagers. You don't have any of anything

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I usually only use one healer unless the game's hard enough, like FE6 Hard, Conquest (not really the same tho since Jakob/Felicia are there) and of course what I played of HHM. Usually healing usually isn't a super-pressing issue until your mages all promote and you have like six healbots anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Alm's starting army is a lord, a soldier, and four villagers. You don't have any of anything

Yeah, but I don't know if i'll have other units by the time they're ready to promote. And i'm getting the idea Alm has enough cavaliers already so I should avoid that option at least.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, but I don't know if i'll have other units by the time they're ready to promote. And i'm getting the idea Alm has enough cavaliers already so I should avoid that option at least.

You'll have a cleric but you probably won't have anybody else yet. They promote really early.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The villagers are the best characters in the game in general. Grey and Tobin have a funny back and forth, Kliff's cute, and Faye is just a giant walking meta gag about hardcore fans being weird, so I like her.

Atlas is kinda bland tho.

edit: also best animations are Mercenary > Peg Knight > Soldier > Archer > Cavalier > Mage > Cleric

imo, Kliff looks best as a mercenary, Tobin as an archer, Gray as a soldier, Atlas as a soldier, and Faye as a mage, in terms of their color schemes/outfits. They all have unique outfits and color schemes in all their classes, so it's good.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 9, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

The villagers are the best characters in the game in general. Grey and Tobin have a funny back and forth, Kliff's cute, and Faye is just a giant walking meta gag about hardcore fans being weird, so I like her.

Atlas is kinda bland tho.

edit: also best animations are Mercenary > Peg Knight > Soldier > Archer > Cavalier > Mage > Cleric

imo, Kliff looks best as a mercenary, Tobin as an archer, Gray as a soldier, Atlas as a soldier, and Faye as a mage, in terms of their color schemes/outfits. They all have unique outfits and color schemes in all their classes, so it's good.

drat it. That means I need to think about all of them though!

Animation info is very appreciated though. Guess i'm going with less mages than I expected.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How possible are mono class runs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

How possible are mono class runs?

You could do it on Alm's route fairly easily

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

cheetah7071 posted:

You could do it on Alm's route fairly easily

Ready to go all merc then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly making all three of the guys into mercs isn't even a bad call, merc's a great class. you'll have zero mages until luthier joins tho (or i guess you could make faye one, since she can't have merc)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i have finished fe6
I did not s-rank, the game felt i shamefully distributed exp

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RME posted:

i have finished fe6

Feelings on the game overall?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Are class growths a thing in Echoes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Are class growths a thing in Echoes?
Barely. The most significant is Soldier's -10% speed growth and archer's +10% skill growth. Everything else is like '+5% skill'

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you care about getting the Dragon Shield at the end of chapter 1, definitely make at least one of Alm's villagers a Mage with Arrow if you can! The guy holding it is slow but extremely hard to kill. And heals himself if you're not doing it right

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 9, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RME posted:

i have finished fe6

If you wanna see what an S-rank run looks like there's one on the LP archives. Sadly the dude spends the whole time making GBS threads on the game, so maybe not though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Melth was ridiculously good at fire emblem and reading the strategies used was fascinating in and of itself. His commentary on the games I rouuuuughly agreed with and it's not that bad.

But he does bitch about fe6 a lot for sure. Still, worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Like, I get that a dude that can get through one of the most infamous challenges the series has to offer without breaking a sweat on the highest rank is gonna find Binding Blade Hard a little simple, that's fair. But it kinda feels like he's almost looking for poo poo to hate on at points, like the freaking endgame map music that sounds really energetic and hopeful that he hates because it sounds energetic and hopeful even though that's the point.

Also how much he loves Blazing Blade to death when it's not that much better.