Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Itsuki is more cut out being the sound guy in the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
As I said in the first Intermission update, there's really nothing stopping you from abandoning the plot to go do sidequests. So uh...yeah, let's go do that.

quote:

hey. mind if I ask you to help me with something?
you can find me...let's see...along Central City Street.

Sounds like a plan. Off to Shibuya!

Hey...are you good at keeping secrets? If so, then I have something to ask of you.

What's going on?

It won't do to stand around and discuss it. Let's go somewhere else.

I can't believe Kiria doesn't want to stand around in the mirage attack zone. There's such a lovely sky today! :buddy:

:siren: Sir Gen :siren:

I'm not asking for your opinion. :colbert:

...Sorry. I want you to find Sir Gen- er...this plushy for me. Seems like I lost it when I was filming at Daitama the other day. Can I ask you to do this for me?

I understand. I'll look for it.

...I owe you one. I'll send the image to you. Let me know when you find it, and thanks again.

Well that seems pretty straightforward. Note that there's no recommended level, so this should be pretty simple.

In fact, we don't even have to enter the dungeon. It's just sitting right out here in the lobby.

Itsuki finds what appears to be Kiria's plushy on the ground...

:ohdear:

Oh man... I wonder if Tsubasa could patch up something like this.

quote:

Hey Tsubasa, do you happen to be good at sewing? There's something I need fixed.
Sewing?
Itsuki?
Oh... This is something different.
I see.
???
it's nothing. i'm sorry for bothering you.
Hmm... Sewing, huh? I may not look it, but I'm pretty clumsy with handiwork...
Oh, I can see that.
You meanie!
Oh! But my sister is great at things like that! :)
She used to sew up holes in my clothes all the time when I was younger!
Why are you acting so proud about that...?
Try talking to Aya!
Got it, thanks.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't go straight to Aya to begin with, honestly. Given how clumsy Tsubasa is at uh...basically everything. Back to the office!

:siren: A Woman's Intuition :siren:

This is... Itsuki, wouldn't it be better if you fixed this yourself?

Huh?

It's just a hunch, but I think that would be better.

I can't believe Aya is going to sabotage her own sister like this. *Incredibly* hosed up.

Okay...

Don't worry! I'll take responsibility and teach you how to do it. Let me go get some tools.

Itsuki sewed up the plushy while Aya taught him how to do so...

That's...technically an improvement? :confuoot:

I think it gives it great character. Now, why don't you hurry along and return it?

Wait, return it? How did you know this wasn't mine?

Hmm... Call it a woman's intuition.

Uh-huh... Anyway, I should get going. Thanks for your help.

Well, that went suspiciously well. I suppose we ought to let her know we found it now.

quote:

Are you still there, Kiria?
did you find it?
Well... more or less.
thank goodness.
I'll be waiting by Central City Street again, so come talk to me.

And one last trip to finish this one up.

:siren: Sir Gen EX :siren:

Don't thank me yet.

...? What's wrong?

Actually...it was in a pretty bad state when I found it...

Sir Gen!

Did you...fix him, Itsuki?

...I'm sorry. I took the liberty of fixing it...

Hey, Itsuki...

I was in a slump because the new song for my next concert wasn't going well. I was worried about Sir Gen too... But you found him, and even patched him up. When I'm holding this, a mysterious sensation rises within me... If I pour this feeling into my song, I'm sure that-

Kiria Kurono's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening... Kiria's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Hidden Strength!

Okay...! Itsuki, make sure you come see my next concert. I'll show you a performance that's different from before.

That sounds like a promise to me. Back to the Bloom Garden!

Like Touma's first sidequest, this one doesn't actually do anything. Our reward for this sidequest is a new Ad Lib attack.

Heh heh heh... That doll... Is it my imagination, or are you doting on that thing even more than before?

It's your imagination.

Well look at you, giddy as a schoolgirl. Who knew the cool, frosty Kiria had an adorable side like this?

Can it.

:siren: :siren: :siren: Labyrinth ~ Kiria Kurono (Full Song) :siren: :siren: :siren:

Lyrics posted:

I just looked ahead, and never turned back,
I didn't need the hesitation.
Ignore all my doubts, close off my mind,
Out from the congregation.
But the more I protect who I am inside,
Or who I believed I was,
I feel them drift farther away, lost in loneliness.

Never falter, and don't be weak.
And in my head, that was all I could be.

Oh what is happening?
I just don't understand.
I'm all alone and lost inside this maze that feels so wrong.
Accept me please, someone, for who I really am.
Maybe that's the only thing I wanted all along.
And now, finally I can begin to realize,
Because I just want to share that smile I see in their eyes,
Nothing else.

Most people would probably agree that this is Kiria's best song in the game. I personally like her second sidequest's song better, but Labyrinth is still really, really good!

:siren: Cool and Intimidating :siren:

True, today's concert was amazing! She seemed more energetic than normal... Think she has a boyfriend now?

A cute little thing about this scene, you see how Itsuki has his eyes closed up there? On this line, and this line alone, you can see him glaring out at the hallway.

Nah, I doubt that! There's never been any rumors like that about her at all. She does seem pretty standoffish...

But I'd totally be okay with Kiria toda-aaaaaah! W-Welcome back, ma'am!

...Thank you?

Welcome back.

Hey, so what did you think about today's concert?

It was even better than the last one. You were right when you said that's how it would be.

Hehe... I suppose I was.

...Today's concert went well because you fixed Sir Gen - that plushy, I mean.

I'm glad I could help.

Carrying something like that doesn't really fit my persona, right? Like... Doesn't it feel...gross?

I was a little relieved, actually. I had built up this image of you just being cool and intimidating, but now I know you like that kind of thing too.

Huh?

Plus, that plushy... The clumsy feeling it has kind of reminds me of you too.

...Aaaaand there it is. The ol' Ice Queen Tsundere routine.

I-I'm sorry?

...It's not like i enjoy these things in particular. It's more like...a memento.

A memento?

...It's nothing important. Well, I have a meeting to attend, so I'l be going. See you around!

Kiria Kurono has grown as an entertainer and has become "A New Charisma"!

Our reward is The Labyrinth, an ice-based Ad Lib skill. Like all the others, it's nifty and solid when it goes off, but it's not nearly frequently enough to be counted on for anything.

And before we go, one last thing. Back in the Bloom Garden...

So, about the plushy you just repaired? I think you might have made it even more precious to her...

:unsmith:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The SMS conversations (or whatever they are) really make this for me. They sell the characters so well! Also, I thought that all the previous song links were just that - purely music - so I was a little surprised by the levels of Sharon Apple light show bullshit going on (albeit without an AI getting involved). Time to go back and click all the other links I guess.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I bet Itsuki will never pick up on this, ever.

How.

Sometimes I think that he's dense on purpose or something.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hey Artix good job on getting Kiria's BEST COSTUME :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I bet Itsuki will never pick up on this, ever.

How.

Sometimes I think that he's dense on purpose or something.

:argh: TROOOOOOOOPE :argh:

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Hey Artix good job on getting Kiria's BEST COSTUME :v:
It's sad just how horrible most of her options are, really. Though there is something about this one. It seems like it'd look more natural if she worked with an old, long-nosed fellow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Aww, I always forget how cute that plush is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Edvarius posted:

It's sad just how horrible most of her options are, really. Though there is something about this one. It seems like it'd look more natural if she worked with an old, long-nosed fellow.

Or maybe if she were heading to Egypt with her grandfather to beat the poo poo out of some rear end in a top hat vampire.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Or maybe if she were heading to Egypt with her grandfather to beat the poo poo out of some rear end in a top hat vampire.

Not gonna lie, that's totally where my mind went at first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do Ad-Lib skills ever fire off when some enemy is going to, like, reflect or be fully healed by them or some similar SMT bullshit?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Glazius posted:

Do Ad-Lib skills ever fire off when some enemy is going to, like, reflect or be fully healed by them or some similar SMT bullshit?

It's purely random when Ad-Libs happen, except for like the first fight you use the character who gets the Ad-Lib after you get it I think?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Or if she was a Velvet Room attendant. Just needs a bit more blue on her outfit. And white hair.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Glazius posted:

They can activate when enemies have that property, but Ad-Lib skills ignore Absorb, Immune, and Repel. So no actual SMT shenanigans result as this game actually has mercy.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Glazius posted:

Artix stated last update when they were first introduced right after Touma's triggered that they do bypass enemy damage typing Strengths/Nulls/Reflects/Drains of the type of attack in question, hit all enemies, and always trigger a session in the paragraphs where he discusses them after showing it off there. I'll just quote him and the info from the paragraph in question in the update:

Artix posted:

Ad lib attacks inherit whatever the base effect of the skill was (assuming it has one), slap a modest power boost and status effect on it, hit every enemy, ignore nulls/drains, and always trigger sessions.

So yeah, no SMT dickery there at least.
E:f;b

Emperordaein posted:

Or if she was a Velvet Room attendant. Just needs a bit more blue on her outfit. And white hair.
Someone else already made that reference a couple posts before yours, albeit in a more cryptic allusion:

Edvarius posted:

And I totally agree, this outfit of Kiria's would fit either a JoJo character or one of Igor's minions.

Also, is is probably because I've been watching a ton of late Yakuza game videos recently on YouTube and have it on the brain, but the Yontory Dogs coffee logo in the first image of the update just stood out to me. I know they can't exactly lift the Suntory Boss coffee logo and branding straight without a massive licensing fee paid to the company, but seeing them try with well done allusions is always fun to see. :allears:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 9, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Kiria graduate from the Train Conductor Academy when we weren't looking?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Tropes. Tropes never change.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Why is she happy that Itsuki took the liberty to fix her plushie? And in such a horrible fashion, too? I'd be pissed as hell that he thought he had the right to alter or modify my personal belonging, and that he more or less ruined it by not attempting to match fabric to boot.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

asymmetrical posted:

Why is she happy that Itsuki took the liberty to fix her plushie? And in such a horrible fashion, too? I'd be pissed as hell that he thought he had the right to alter or modify my personal belonging, and that he more or less ruined it by not attempting to match fabric to boot.

"He tried to fix my stuffed animal that I sent him to go find that I got broken by being a careless moron. I know what I'll do, I'll get pissed at him! That'll show him :reject:"

Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who, at the drop of a hat, would fix a mistake I made that they had no stake in. It wouldn't even be the whole hand, either. I can't think of many people who would do the same thing for an almost total stranger, as well.

Materant fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 9, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Ah I see they are using the Itsuki is a dense mother fucker so that the player can in typical Fire Emblem/Persona style decide which of the female leads best fits him. At least there is a reason for it. Also have I mentioned how amazed I am with the work they did for the body and facial animations for this game are. They are completely on point and really really help portray these characters personalities.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 9, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Materant posted:

"He tried to fix my stuffed animal that I sent him to go find that I got broken by being a careless moron. I know what I'll do, I'll get pissed at him! That'll show him :reject:"

That's not how I interpreted their reaction. You're also being pretty hard on Kiria, there. She asked a friend to help find a missing item because she was probably busy with work. The friend took it upon himself to "fix" the item when he found it broken. I imagine a lot of people in Kiria's position would rather the friend gave them the broken item, then asked if they could help fix it.

So yeah, whether Itsuki's action is romantic or overstepping his bounds depends on who you ask. Luckily for Itsuki, Kiria is obviously in the former camp.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Really, the repair job is kind of Aya's fault. Itsuki knew he knew gently caress-all about sewing and went to somebody he knew was a fair bit better at it than him, and deferred to her advice. It's just that Aya apparently has something of a warped sense of humour (since she appeared to be messing with at least one of her sister, Kiria, and Itsuki). Or maybe she just knows Kiria better than our hero does.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To put it in glass half-full terms, it's basically like this: "Oh hey not only did he find the sentimental item I lost but when it turned out to be broken he fixed it on his own initiative without being asked. Sure it's a clumsy fix but it's thorough which shows he cares and put a bunch of effort into it."

The key point is that it's a sentimental item. There's a small roller coaster of emotions there, from the anxiety of it's loss to the disappointment to learn it's broken which is headed off by the surprise that hey, it's fixed. I wouldn't blame anyone for complaining at the quality of the fix but whoever puts in that much effort deserves a thanks in my book. That's going over and above the 'find my missing thing that I like a lot' request.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the key point here is that he cared enough to fix it without being asked, and that he was willing to do something he had obviously never done before in order to do so. Obviously Kiria was more moved/impressed by that than upset at the quality of the fix.

vdate posted:

Really, the repair job is kind of Aya's fault. Itsuki knew he knew gently caress-all about sewing and went to somebody he knew was a fair bit better at it than him, and deferred to her advice. It's just that Aya apparently has something of a warped sense of humour (since she appeared to be messing with at least one of her sister, Kiria, and Itsuki). Or maybe she just knows Kiria better than our hero does.
Why can't it be both? I know I've simultaneously helped and trolled people before.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

putting the pieces
together. found my
way out of the maze.

Kiria's status has updated now that we've finished her first sidequest, and...

quote:

hrrgh... I made friends with a girl from the photo shoot, but I haven't been able to reach her... '^';
and I saw some of her pictures on the wall in the Idolasphere. guess that means she's in there, huh...?

Well, that just means we have to get her out, doesn't it? Back to Illusory Shibuya.

The second room starts off pretty straightforward. Up the stairs, we immediately run into a one-way wall, so down the ledge it is.

There was an encounter here, it's gone now.

On the lower floor, we hang a right and hit another one-way wall. The locked chest has a Chakra Pot if you've got a key handy.

New enemies! The Abyss is an upgraded Man O' War from Illusory 106, complete with its focus on causing status ailments. However, as you can see, they're weak to *literally* everything, so dealing with them is far more trivial than their jellyfish cousins.

Heading the other direction, we pass an incredibly obvious camera and work our way back up to 3F, grabbing a pair of Dis-Charms along the way.

And there's our first shortcut for the area.

Moving on, we head down the stairs and hit another ledge.

That drops us down to here. The far chest has a pair of Beads, to the right is progress.

The girl on the left is our first Cleric enemy. As the name implies, they can heal up enemies if you give them a chance, but they're mostly content to cast low-level magic like Flux or try and whack you with their mace. Weak to Swords, Fire, and Light, resist Ice, Electric, and Dark.

For a second, I thought I was actually stuck here because of how that camera is positioned, but their view is actually very narrow and we can easily slip behind it. Hell, there's one later on that you basically walk right up to in order to grab an item; you essentially have to walk directly in front of it to get caught.

Itsuki finally picks up Mazio, and we drop Rakukaja for it. Admittedly it's not as clear cut as a traditional SMT game because you get skills from weapons, but L20 feels really late to be picking up the Tier 1 multi-targets. I think Ryuji is the only person to have a similar time on that, and his excuse is that he's literally Kanji and should be punching people instead.

Another camera that'll get you if you're not paying attention. This one is guarding Nightlife Flicker, a Performa that we need to get one of Tsubasa's Radiant Skills.

And there's Wall #2. Up the stairs we go!

But not too quickly! There's a locked chest tucked away immediately to the left, and it's incredibly easy to miss. The Roaring Ear Plugs are a real interesting accessory, trading 3 points of Def/Res for 12 Speed, plus being marginally better than our current stuff in armor value. I still don't use it because I'm boring, but at least this one is actually worth the tradeoff. 12 speed is plenty to more or less guarantee that whoever you give it to will go first in the turn queue.

At the top of the stairs, the path splits into three options. There's really no way to tell which one is correct, so we might as well just pick one and see where it leads. The left one seems like as good of a place to start as any.

This one drops us all the way down to 1F, with a camera blocking us off to the right and a large open area to our left.

I've always been a firm believer that the Suku (de-)buffs are the most important of the lot. Taru and Raku are nice (and certainly have their place, to be sure) but they're reliant on hitting in the first place, whereas the Sukus help you avoid that situation altogether. Although that said, Kiria is pretty slow and needs all the help she can get for dodging.

And speaking of dodging, Hamstring is Touma's equivalent of Fang Breaker, but for Hit/Evade. Like Fang Breaker, it is never leaving his skill slots for as long as I can feasibly hold on to it.

Anyway, if we bear right in that large open area, we'll eventually work our way over to a Res Incense.

And if we go up the stairs from there, we'll reach the end of this area past another camera hallway.

...Huh, well that wasn't supposed to happen. Guess we should go back and check out those other ledges.

The center ledge drops us on the other side of that pesky camera. Up the stairs?

Nothing! Pick again, fucker.

Stage Rank 4 nets us Unyielding Lord, raising his evade against Lances. Again, it's kinda filler-y, but getting a free Evade skill against one of your weaknesses (that doesn't take up a skill slot!) is pretty solid.

As you can probably guess, the right ledge drops us behind that camera and lets us grab a cool ten grand in cold, hard cash. And hey, we're about to fight a miniboss, so why not put that money to use and stock up on supplies?

The Obelisk is one of those "weird weapons" I mentioned when we were discussing skills and weapon inheritance, and a quick look at its resistance set should be enough to show why. It's one of Tsubasa's only weapons to resist fire, tosses in a Null Light because it can, and if I was so inclined, I could use it to teach Tsubasa Agilao (among other things). This is important because this literally allows her to make Touma obsolete, assuming you're happy with her session skills.

Of course, Touma can do the same thing. The Yomotsu Hirasaka would allow Touma to pick up Wind Strike, letting him pull double duty on Tsubasa's elemental coverage. This isn't *as* viable long-term because Agilao is a Tier 2 spell (whereas Wind Strike is a Tier 1 physical attack), and Touma will still be lacking Tsubasa's healing prowess, but you could absolutely do it if you're feeling saucy.

Kiria, meanwhile, just has a couple standard upgrades. The Silver Rod blocks Sleep, but otherwise neither of her new weapons are particularly notable.

Anyway, let's go rescue some models.

Ah... I remember those people! They were at the photo shoot!

We have to save them!

And standing in our way is...a sentient camera. Well at least it's on-brand.

We'll have to take this thing down first if we want to save them.

Yeah. Let's do this, Chrom!

:siren: Vs. Tarnished Myrmidon :siren:

Like most of the minibosses, Tarnished Myrmidon mostly coasts on his support crew to really do damage. That said, he's got a couple fun surprises in store for us.

First of all, we should deal with these guys. This is our first taste of archers, and we really don't want Tsubasa on the receiving end of that.

Kiria isn't particularly useful either, but she's better for clearing out these mooks. The shaman is kind of a joke, and I'm not sure why he got to tag along here.

TM gets two moves a turn, and starts his cycle by casting Tarukaja and Sukukaja. This is your freebie turn before poo poo hits the fan.

Fortunately the archers are weak to Electric and Lances, so cleaning them out is pretty trivial. If you get Itsuki and Touma lined up right in the turn queue, you might even wipe them out before they get a shot off.

Here's where things start getting ugly. On his second turn, TM will cast Order Snipers, which gives all the enemies an elemental flavor, and causes them to attack the same target. He'll also throw out a Media to top off any of the archers that are still alive.

Now, because you're a smart cookie who knows what all your weaknesses are, this is the point where you switch out whoever the game decided to target. This has the benefit of breaking the lock-on, but you're still going to get everyone hit by the new elemental arrows. It's a minor damage boost, but nothing you shouldn't be able to shrug off.

Alternatively, you can be like me and kill them all before they get to do anything at all. I recommend that one.

TM himself is weak to Ice and Lances. The ice weakness is incredibly tempting, especially considering Kiria's sky-high magic stat, but he gets two turns and you really don't want him repeatedly smacking her with Cleave. Touma and Tsubasa are more than enough to tear him apart safely.

That said, he's perfectly capable of loving up Tsubasa's day too. Granted, this is with a Tarukaja active, but Wind Strike does respectable enough damage that two of them will easily kill her in one turn.

That's all he has in his bag of tricks, though. Once he's alone, he goes down real quick.

And a round of new skills for everyone. Tsubasa, Touma, and Kiria get Sukukaja, Speed Boost, and Mabufu respectively.

Looks like they're all back to normal. What a relief...

Itsuki and the others rescued the kidnapped models...

Before we check out for today, let's see what everyone has to say at the halfway point.

It seems like he was taking the girls' Peforma through their pictures.

Let's keep this up and rescue Ms. Maiko!

If things had been even a little different, Tsubasa might have gotten taken too, right? Maybe it's good the photo shoot got stopped!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Artix posted:

Itsuki finally picks up Mazio, and we drop Rakukaja for it. Admittedly it's not as clear cut as a traditional SMT game because you get skills from weapons, but L20 feels really late to be picking up the Tier 1 multi-targets. I think Ryuji is the only person to have a similar time on that, and his excuse is that he's literally Kanji and should be punching people instead.

In P3, Yukari gets Magaru at 21 and Media at 22; Junpei never gets Maragi (Agilao at 32 is his second Fire spell); Akihiko gets Mazio at 21; Mitsuru gets the earliest non-MC multi-target 1st tier by starting with Mabufu and being level 18.

In P4, Yusuke gets Magaru at 18; everyone else who starts below level 20 has their first tier before then.

In P5, Morgana gets Magaru at 16 which is thoroughly middle of the road; Yusuke gets Mabufu at 20; as implied Ryuji gets Mazio at 21 and everyone else after starts with theirs. Ann is flatout the earliest non-Wild Card by getting Maragi at 13.

So, uh, for a modern Persona game, nah, being in the 20s is very common.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's for party members; I don't particularly feel like looking up numbers for P3 or 4, but you can get a Ma- spell as early as level 13 in P5 with a Hua Po on Joker. Not exactly a fair comparison since Itsuki doesn't have nearly as much versatility as a Wild Card user, but I can see where Artix is coming from.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ChaosArgate posted:

That's for party members; I don't particularly feel like looking up numbers for P3 or 4, but you can get a Ma- spell as early as level 13 in P5 with a Hua Po on Joker. Not exactly a fair comparison since Itsuki doesn't have nearly as much versatility as a Wild Card user, but I can see where Artix is coming from.

The Wild Card is kind of cheating though because you can have a shitload of really good skills far earlier than everyone else gets them if you're good at fusion.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Comparing these guys to Wild Card users is definitely apples to oranges, though. They (even Itsuki, who despite being the protagonist doesn't seem to have any more power than his buddies unlike the WC-users in modern Persona games) behave more like the party members in Persona games, with a touch more versatility afforded by a greater number of skill slots and the ability to change up what skills they learn somewhat. Touma is never going to learn Expel or Curse skills AFAIK, for example, and is always going to be best at hitting things and burning them, frequently at the same time. That alternate weapon he gets that teaches the Wind skill is like if Junpei got a second Persona that was statistically identical to and shared skill slots with Hermes, but learned a Wind skill or two instead of the Fire skills Hermes gets, and he could switch only from the menu. Being a Wild Card user is more like being as many as twelve different characters who can switch out at a moment's notice.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's kinda fun is that it looks like all the buffs in this game are multitarget?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

OddObserver posted:

What's kinda fun is that it looks like all the buffs in this game are multitarget?

iirc that's how it is in all the regular SMT games. This is at least pretending to that, so buffs work like an SMT game I guess?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's how it works in every mainline game since Nocturne (and most of the side series since then, as well), yes. Persona still sticks to the old method for some strange reason, despite multi-target (de)buffs being even more essential in those games due to the 3-round duration.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Buffs are really good in persona.

Not by themselves, but debuffing the enemy's defense and buffing your attack leads to a lot more damage than without any buffs.

Nobody resists buffs or debuffs so they're a way to either boost your damage, or have the enemy waste turns trying to remove the debuffs / buffs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I never bothered with the target-all elemental spells. I figured it'd be too easy to have one enemy in a group resist/null/repel whatever element and gently caress up my chances for a session. Am I a dumbass?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I haven't gotten more than one or two dungeons further in the game, but if memory serves you can pick a primary target for your AoE moves. If that primary target is vulnerable, you session regardless of weaknesses in the rest of the enemy group.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If that's true, it's a big change for the series since at least in Nocturne I died multiple times to the very issue you mentioned.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Buffs are really good in persona.

Not by themselves, but debuffing the enemy's defense and buffing your attack leads to a lot more damage than without any buffs.

Nobody resists buffs or debuffs so they're a way to either boost your damage, or have the enemy waste turns trying to remove the debuffs / buffs.
Intelligent use of (de)buffs is essential in most MegaTen games. It's just that using the single-target buffs in Persona games is more a matter of "who really needs it the most?" rather than "everybody gets one!". I'll Tarukaja my main attacker, for example, and Rakukaja anyone who seems to be taking a lot of damage, rather than putting everything on everyone, and I rarely use Sukukaja before getting Masukukaja.

Fortunately, you rarely need to spend the SP to cast the multi-target debuffs, though. You only really need to buff and debuff against bosses, where there's one big target to smack down, and most of the time the cohorts of the boss aren't threatening enough in their own right. Debilitate does speed up the process somewhat, though, and I really wish Luster Candy existed in Persona (well, Chie has a skill kind of like it in P4 Golden, but she can only cast it like twice).

Silver Falcon posted:

I never bothered with the target-all elemental spells. I figured it'd be too easy to have one enemy in a group resist/null/repel whatever element and gently caress up my chances for a session. Am I a dumbass?
It's definitely not wise to use them in a situation where you don't know everyone's resistance to that element, but if you know nobody in the enemy party is going to screw you like that, go right ahead. On the other hand, there's no benefit to using them in this game beyond the damage, unlike in Persona where it can knock everyone down and save you some SP doing it individually.

Oberndorf posted:

I haven't gotten more than one or two dungeons further in the game, but if memory serves you can pick a primary target for your AoE moves. If that primary target is vulnerable, you session regardless of weaknesses in the rest of the enemy group.
IIRC this is true. You still don't want to accidentally heal an enemy or die due to reflected damage, so caution using multi-target elementals is still advised.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 17, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Commander Keene posted:

I really wish Luster Candy existed in Persona

It does, it's called Heat Riser. It's only in Persona 4 and 5, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heat Riser is only single target (at least in P4), which means it takes more time to put up on all of your party members than multi-casting the three buffs individually, or the duration of the first casting. Chie's second evolution skill (Dragon Soul or something) does the whole party, but it costs so much SP that even at level 99 she can only barely cast it twice. Heat Riser is practically useless, whereas Luster Candy would allow me to have one character handle all the buffing and one handle all the debuffing with Debilitate (although the only character to have access to them would probably be the MC). As it stands, it's more efficient both time and SP-wise to split up the (de)buffing and have everyone spend a turn doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Debilitate in Persona is also single-target only, though in (most) important fights where you want it, that's not a big deal.

Persona 5 does have an actual Luster Candy in it called Thermopylae but it's only usable in random encounters where you get Ambushed so, uh, never when you want it. It also costs the same as Heat Riser in terms of SP which would be nice but alas.

• Locked thread