Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Back then I used to play the Library while me and friends did multi-hour late night partyline phone conversations and it was a super great casual game to play while on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Am i miss-remembering or did Halo 1 only have 4 enemy types.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macarius Wrench posted:

Am i miss-remembering or did Halo 1 only have 4 enemy types.

Off the top of my head you have grunts, jackals, hunters, elites, three different kinds of Flood, and then enemy vehicles if those count. They added brutes and the flying insects in 2 onward.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
People's hatred of the library probably stem from co-op or especially solo legendary playthroughs, where rocket launcher flood routinely showed up out of nowhere and basically any splash from a rocket would instagib you.

The White Dragon posted:

lol if you've never hosed to boosters tower
An ex of mine thought the hotline miami soundtrack was good lovemaking music. Some of it, sure, others...not so much

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Ah I forgot about Hunters, the big lumbering things with the orange neck.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Halo is the only game on my "games I have played" list that I wish was not.
The main theme, however, is awesome!

Currently I am listening to Troels B. Folmann and the Tomb Raider anniversary soundtrack, which is one of the greatest because it so perfectly captures the original Tomb Raider sound while revamping it for modern audiences. Croft manor in particular is one of the greatest and I usually put it on low volume repeat while I am writing. :D

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Wow i dont think I've ever outright regretted playing a videogame other than dota.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Invictus posted:

People's hatred of the library probably stem from co-op or especially solo legendary playthroughs, where rocket launcher flood routinely showed up out of nowhere and basically any splash from a rocket would instagib you.

Well also the second half of Halo's campaign was already "do that again backwards" but Library sticks out as especially copy & paste.

Its literally the same hallway done like 3 times in a row on 3 different floors, then the level is over.

And yeah, the whole thing is just a slog of fighting the flood. No vehicles, nothing fun, no big open spaces, no cool island setpieces. Just flood hallways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I regretted finishing Bioshock Infinite and then the DLC.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
While I didn't think it was the greatest video game story ever told (In my little world that is Portal2) I still really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite and both DLCs. I would definitely play it all the way through again than Halo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9DE69wwos&hd=1

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The classical music radio station over here does a video game music show every Saturday night and the other day they played aeris' theme on my way home from work

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

Well also the second half of Halo's campaign was already "do that again backwards" but Library sticks out as especially copy & paste.
I actually enjoy when games reuse areas in the way Halo did, in that you went through it normally, and then your second time through it's totally, completely jacked and hosed up. Not like how the Library does it, but rather "remember Truth And Reconciliation? Well go backwards through it, and now everything is on fire and exploding and also you can fly now without exploiting"

also Halo was really, really good with mission names, and naming in general. The Pillar of Autumn. The Silent Cartographer. Truth and Reconciliation. 343 Guilty Spark. THE MAW.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Evocative nomenclature has always been something Bungie was good at, going back to stuff like Myth and Marathon. This is something else that 343 Industries isn't very good at in comparison.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whenever people talk about the Grimoire cards in Destiny and the lore that's on them, it always sounds so interesting. Then I remember that they are text blurbs that you have to access outside the game and that what's actually in the generic shooter is much less so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only video game soundtrack i've ever listened to on its own is the no man's sky one since it is just a 65daysofstatic album

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

I must say that Prey 2017 is making me retroactively regret ever touching Bioshock Infinite. It's an irrational reaction and the only one of this type I've ever had but somehow the way Prey embraces and sometimes expands upon the freedom of System Shock makes Bioshock Infinite's horrendous treatment of it and self-important plot seem so awful in comparison that it magnifies my negative opinion about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

risk of rain may be the only mediocre entertainment product in existence where adding in a bunch of your friends makes it less enjoyable instead of more so

edit: i think i may have gotten this thread confused with another one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Halo 1 was a good game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I must say that Prey 2017 is making me retroactively regret ever touching Bioshock Infinite. It's an irrational reaction and the only one of this type I've ever had but somehow the way Prey embraces and sometimes expands upon the freedom of System Shock makes Bioshock Infinite's horrendous treatment of it and self-important plot seem so awful in comparison that it magnifies my negative opinion about it.

The Witcher 3 made me feel that way about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see also: fallout new vegas v. fallout 3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Library is 4 repetitions of the same vast, shadowy space where the same enemy groups rush at you over and over again without using any of the interesting AI the game is capable of. It's not good.

They did get a nice troll out of it in Halo 2, though. You are instructed to seek out and visit a new Library, so you know what's going to happen. You can see the Library from the outside this time, drawing closer in the distance as you proceed across the land. After an hour or more of driving and fighting, you finally arrive there, and survive the huge firefight on the platform that transports you to the entrance. You walk through the door and find yourself in the same old environment, same old grey walls and blocky scenery, mentally preparing to spend another god knows how long going through it, as the game announces the title of this new level as "That Old Familiar Feeling".

Then you walk another 20 yards and a cutscene takes over

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I should have probably said that my girlfriend will only be down for about a week in my previous post. Is Tales of Berseria still a good choice or should I go with something shorter like OoT?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

play spelunky

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
whoever posted that one subspace emissary cutscene in the last chat thread, because of you i've now replayed the whole thing

it sucks but the cutscenes are good

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
top 5 sse crews:

1. lucas and pokemon trainer
2. samus and pikachu
3. diddy, fox, and falco
4. peach, zelda, and game and watch (and fox again)
5. meta knight, lucario, and snake

honorable mention: falcon and olimar

(not listed: designated main character squad, fire emblem lords)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raserys posted:

whoever posted that one subspace emissary cutscene in the last chat thread, because of you i've now replayed the whole thing

it sucks but the cutscenes are good

the whole thing is on youtube my dude. that's why they didn't do any cutscenes for smash 4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's an irrational reaction
Heh.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even on the level of fighting game story modes sse was garbage and I'm glad they didn't bother doing that again.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Those ten games of Heroes of the Storm I played for the D.va skin were unbearable, and I'm probably going to do the extra five for the spray.
*extremely Courage the Cowardly Dog voice* the things i do for love!!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Captain Invictus posted:

An ex of mine thought the hotline miami soundtrack was good lovemaking music. Some of it, sure, others...not so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMz3aAZDv4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

glam rock hamhock posted:

Even on the level of fighting game story modes sse was garbage and I'm glad they didn't bother doing that again.

I don't care if it sucked, the cutscenes were outstanding

Captain falcon doing an anime slide into a bunch of pikmin and killing them ruled

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Scott Forstall posted:

anytime they want to port the MCC to windows, i'd be so happy

I played H1 back in the dorms and never played any of the others but Bungie can put together a shooter and it'd be nice to have it on pc. Destiny 2 is next on my radar now that Prey is out.

More like they were good at using the copy-paste tool.

Halo Reach was a solid game and the only one I really liked but the level design in halo 1 is loving atrocious.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Palpek posted:

Given the themes in Prey 2017's plot I'm surprised it didn't end up pretentious (though the ending is a bit of a let down)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If Microsoft wasn't retarded and just put mcc and rare replay on steam, they'd make a shitload of money. It's been long enough, I can't imagine those are still huge sellers of xboxen nowadays

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

I should have probably said that my girlfriend will only be down for about a week in my previous post. Is Tales of Berseria still a good choice or should I go with something shorter like OoT?

I spent like 100 hours on that game and most people take 80 or so to get to the end... so probably not.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

If Microsoft wasn't retarded and just put mcc and rare replay on steam, they'd make a shitload of money. It's been long enough, I can't imagine those are still huge sellers of xboxen nowadays

they're still flogging the never-alive horse that is GFWL for digital distribution except now it's called the windows marketplace or some poo poo, despite the fact that literally the only game i can name that exists on it is gears of war 4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Call of duty sold so poorly there they offered refunds because nobody could find multiplayer matches.

Suck it up and go to steam microsoft.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought the ending of Infinite was kind of poo poo but I didn't hate the game for it.
The DLC, however, ensured that I would never play Bioshock Infinite again, and if there are any more Bioshock games I'll probably never play them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

they're still flogging the never-alive horse that is GFWL for digital distribution except now it's called the windows marketplace or some poo poo, despite the fact that literally the only game i can name that exists on it is gears of war 4

One of the Call of Duties was on it right? And they had to refund everyone because like a dozen people bought it and that's obviously not going to work for a multiplayer game.

• Locked thread