Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I think those tiny 'dog box' apartments are still ok in Melbourne. It even took the near incineration of one tower to force the introduction of restrictions on highly flammable cladding, which the developers had previously deemed an unnecessary inconvenience (and therefore the government hadn't introduced it)

Most of the new rules were focused on ventilation and light. So, windows or doors you can open that are visible in the room and not a hallway window/L shape room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A YOUNG woman wakes up after passing out at a house party, covered in her own faeces after soiling herself during a tryst.

Another finds herself in St Vincent’s emergency department with heart palpitations and difficulty breathing on three separate occasions.

A male friend wakes up to discover he’s had an unwanted sexual encounter with a transvestite.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

Melbourne recently brought these in but as you'd expect the developer lobby made sure they were pretty watered down. Sydney has had them for a while but I don't know much about theirs - except that Melbourne's standards are generally lower.

They're pathetic and the process to arrive at them was even worse

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
She says while on coke, she indulged in risky behaviour like unprotected sex and intercourse with people she didn’t even like.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
She no longer even flinches when drug dogs enter the venue she’s in because they have not once picked up the gram perpetually stuffed inside her designer handbag.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

They're pathetic and the process to arrive at them was even worse

But if we make sure apartments are livable then they'll cost more for people to buy and further lock our first home buyers!

*all the apartments get bought by investors*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress this is the best thing i've read in the Daily Telegraph in years.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I had extensive opinions that I was going to post but decided against it, purely because I could get into poo poo at work.

Suffice it to say that in my own personal opinion, unless the government takes action, housing affordability won't be the defining issue of the coming generations but the number of "battlers" going bankrupt.

The media has already briefly touched on this in various places but the average australian income is not equipped to handle the numbers of properties that people are taking out loans for, when you factor in excessive interest only terms - and bear in mind I am absolutely not making any commentary on my employer here, I actually believe they're doing the right thing with regards to their policies and the enforcement thereof, I am purely speaking in generalities.

Much of the average australians investment portfolio is being done to reduce their taxable income to a point where they're paying no net tax, negative gearing, with the view to keep their property as a vehicle for passive growth, and sell the property at a profit down the line when there's enough of a profit to be had, and as an investment strategy 10-15 years ago, this worked. Not so much the case these days.

What's happened now though (and something I see a lot of) is that people have taken out loans 5-10 years ago, expecting houses to have improved in value uniformly all across the country while on interest only and in many cases have found that their investment asset / house has reduced in value and because they've been on interest only this entire time, their loan hasn't budged.

So they now have a property that's above 80% LVR, that's about to come off interest only, they no longer have the income that they did - for whatever reason, they've been sacked, they've hosed their small business, doesn't matter - and their bank is no longer interest in giving them further i/o because the customer's above 80% LVR, and they want to see that liability to reduce on their balance sheets.

So the customer starts shopping around for another bank to give them more i/o, and they might get one that'll do it, but now they have to pay LMI on top of it which'll be a decent chunk of change. Rinse repeat.

Eventually they're in a position where they have to sell the property, because they can't get anymore interest only, they can't afford principle and interest repayments and the house isn't worth as much as they thought it would be. And because this isn't America where the banks liability is limited to the value that the asset is sold for, they're on the hook for whatever is left over when the bank eventually enters it as mortgagee in possession.

The TL;DR is that the housing bubble will sort itself eventually because it can't expand forever, but when it bursts the smart people will have gotten out already and the people left clutching the can will be joe blogs who bought three investment properties on his accountants advice to reduce his taxable income because growth is continuous and forever.

Only the bubble's now burst and joe blog's pissed at the accountant, who's now topped himself because he had 22 investment properties at the age of 26 thanks to Domain writing 49 articles about how you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps to a property empire if only you had rich parents to give you a house to rent out to people in your own name with none of the debt, allowing you too to build a property empire.

I can't remember why I started writing this, but it's a bit cathartic tbh

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

tithin posted:

This is misleading, they're cooling everywhere except Sydney and Melbourne.

Anecdotes are not the plural of data, I get that, but I work as a credit assessor for a big 4 bank and I get to see a lot of house values on a daily basis across the country.

Valuations outside of Melbourne and Sydney are flat and falling - there's a good reason that the big 4 are now insisting on re-valuations on a lot of their property profiles / customer groups because in some cases, valuations haven't been done in up to 10 years.

Sales are taking upwards of six months to sell in parts of aus, and multiple years in other parts because they just cant find the buyers.

Anecdotally, I recall one couple in WA buying a property for $600k at the peak of the market, and after two years on the market they sold it for $250k

In Bathurst Housing are still selling as fast as the go up for sale. A unit that 10 years ago was worth 100k sold for 280K in loving Bathurst.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've been looking at buying a unit/apartment in south east Melbourne since the start of the year and while there's in theory properties in my price range there's either a gigantic catch (normally water damage) or they go to auction and sell for 100k above the estimate.

I've got Prey on my main monitor and ABC live stream on my 2nd monitor, no matter where I look I'm ready to be face hosed by unknowable creatures.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is it getting harder to get IO loans now cause of APRA?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah. I know people who are selling a house who are putting an amount on the board that is a hundred thou less than their reserve and what the agent says they'll get. I'm not sure who benefits from underquoting... Oh wait no I do know, it's the loving real estate agents. More heads in the crowd makes people think more people are actually buying even though most are priced out by the vendor bid and you're actively hoping people get carried away and spend more than they should

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A YOUNG woman wakes up after passing out at a house party, covered in her own faeces after soiling herself during a tryst.

Another finds herself in St Vincent’s emergency department with heart palpitations and difficulty breathing on three separate occasions.

A male friend wakes up to discover he’s had an unwanted sexual encounter with a transvestite.

The guy who slagged the football team
Those yobs were not for him
He turns into a real estate agent
Who believes in discipline

The guy who's the first to use cocaine
The wild boy breaking free
He'll end up in a court of law
As a prosecuting Q.C.

Remember the school captain?
Success was a matter of time
I can hear her now as she screams
"Greg, you missed the stop sign"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is it getting harder to get IO loans now cause of APRA?

can't speak for APRA requirements, but I can tell you that my particular employer's cracked down loving hard on i/o loans in both commercial and consumer space. so have other banks. This will have been driven by apra, but I sort of suspect it's also been driven by looming paranoia.

you need a damned good reason to get i/o now and "accountant advice" will result in a hard "decline"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

tithin posted:

its very good, thank you

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I really struggle feeling sympathy for overmortgaged fuckos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think IO loans should be banned?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Raged posted:

In Bathurst Housing are still selling as fast as the go up for sale. A unit that 10 years ago was worth 100k sold for 280K in loving Bathurst.

I'm speaking in generalities only, there's still pockets of growth outside the capital cities, but it's certainly not universal.

I'll bow to your anecdote as you know the area better than I do.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I can't watch scomo without screeching myself hoarse so I'll just read the guardian once lock in is lifted I guess.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

tithin posted:

A good post. Thanks!

Then there's all the people that were going to be fine to pay for all their housing and property investment but lose their job due to the massive economic collapse that will accompany the bubble bursting.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hit me up after work one day and I'll be happy to give you what I call "tithin off the clock"

Do you think IO loans should be banned?

Opinion: No, there's some genuine uses for interest only, especially for affordability reasons, (IE you've had poo poo going on in your life and money's tight, but it's only for a year or so and you can show in the long term you can repay the higher repayments without being forced to sell the asset) but I sure as poo poo don't think it should be the norm for loans to be on interest only for the better part of a loving decade. I've seen some loans come in from other banks that have been on their books for 10+ years where there's been no principle reduction.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

quote:

From 1 July 2017, individuals can make voluntary contributions of up to $15,000 per year and $30,000 in total, to their superannuation account to purchase a first home. These contributions, which are taxed at 15 per cent, along with deemed earnings, can be withdrawn for a deposit. Withdrawals will be taxed at marginal tax rates less a 30 per cent offset and allowed from 1 July 2018.

For most people, the First Home Super Saver Scheme could boost the savings they can put towards a deposit by at least 30 per cent compared with saving through a standard deposit account. This is due to the concessional tax treatment and the higher rate of earnings often realised within superannuation.

Many employees will be able to take advantage of salary sacrifice arrangements to make pre-tax contributions.

Individuals who are self-employed or whose employers do not offer salary sacrifice can claim a tax deduction on personal contributions, meaning savings effectively come out of pre-tax income.

Voluntary contributions under this scheme must be made within existing superannuation caps. The total concessional contributions an individual can make, from both compulsory employer contributions and voluntary contributions, including those made under the scheme cannot exceed $25,000 in 2017-18.

The amount of earnings that can be released will be calculated using a deemed rate of return based on the 90 day Bank Bill rate plus three percentage points (as per the Shortfall Interest Charge).

The First Home Super Saver Scheme will be administered by the ATO, which will determine the amount of contributions that can be released and instruct superannuation funds to make these payments accordingly.

what the gently caress is this frankenstein bullshit. people can withdraw $30K of their super salary sarcifice for a deposit. congrats to the boomers that will get some more of their children's future to fund their retirement.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Solemn Sloth posted:

:same:
Maybe it's bias because they're typically boomers who scorn younger people as being entitled and picky, while they themselves benefited from free tertiary education, great wage growth which allowed them to start their investment portfolio and then growth on their investment. But if anyone younger wants any kind of break, they're the first to wag their fingers in disappointment.

It'll be for nothing though because come the election after the market collapse, you'll get to watch as the LNP come out for the "battlers" yet again and shower them in money/tax breaks.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Chadzok posted:

what the gently caress is this frankenstein bullshit. people can withdraw $30K of their super salary sarcifice for a deposit. congrats to the boomers that will get some more of their children's future to fund their retirement.

do those words actually mean anything

I'm not a finance dude but that looks like the results of a markov chain generator to me

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Lol, stop the boats again

Is there a tviv thread for this?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Drug testing for Centrelink recipients, if you fail your payments are then managed by Centrelink and you're referred off for treatment.

Wow.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CrazyTolradi posted:

Drug testing for Centrelink recipients, if you fail your payments are then managed by Centrelink and you're referred off for treatment.

Wow.

Good to see that the tories are doing everything in their power to gently caress the next election

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wow.

You have got to be making GBS threads me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

There will a trial of drug testing for 5000 new welfare recipients. Anyway who tests positive will be placed on a cashless debit card and subject to further tests and possible referrals for treatment.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

tithin posted:

Hit me up after work one day and I'll be happy to give you what I call "tithin off the clock"

:respek:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/story-streams/federal-budget-2017/2017-05-09/federal-budget-2017-scott-morrison-reveals-tax-hike/8511344

quote:

Welfare clients who routinely avoid employment meetings will face increasing penalties including the possibility of the Government withholding or cancelling payments.

The Government will also drug test 5,000 new welfare recipients, with those who test positive to be forced onto a Centrelink income-management scheme, which controls how a recipient spends their money. They will also face referrals for treatment.
Nope, not a joke. I do think it'll end up costing more money than it'll "save", though, because it's the LNP. I'd be willing to bet it'll be rolled out in areas like Ceduna, where the welfare card has been rolled out and tested already.

In regards to the mention of penalties for not going to meetings, unless it's changed from how it was back in 2009, isn't this already a thing?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
We are going to do something about house prices......................................Build more houses and tax break on house deposit savings and super

Yes more houses and money is the answer

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CrazyTolradi posted:

In regards to the mention of penalties for not going to meetings, unless it's changed from how it was back in 2009, isn't this already a thing?

I was doing Work for the Dole earlier in the year and one of the other girls that was there had her payments suspended because her service provider told her not to worry about appointments with them for the duration then promptly made one which she missed because she was at our activity at the time. So yeah, it's already a thing, and they like to use it to gently caress with you.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yeahhhhhhhhhh negative gearing for "mom & pop" investors

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Right now, I believe it's "if you don't attend your payment may (will) be stopped until you explain yourself". So..this doesn't sound any different?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

$5000 levy for unoccupied foreign investment properties? 0.5% on a million dollar property. toothless.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Increase housing affordability by increasing demand, that'll do it

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/jxeeno/status/861878111314485248

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chadzok posted:

$5000 levy for unoccupied foreign investment properties? 0.5% on a million dollar property. toothless.

Looks like the dog won't be eating wagu beef this month Abul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Interesting to note, but the proposed tax changes for companies weren't in the budget I believe.

• Locked thread