Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You know, taken in isolation and without the vast stretches of filler in between Savitar moments, this twist kinda works. It works especially well if you see Savitar as kind of a literal incarnation of Barry's self-loathing. He's always talking down to Barry about what a shitlord he is and how he deserves none of the good things that he has. Seeing it as Future Barry having lived so long with his own mistakes that he's A. started viewing his past self as a different person, and B. strongly possessed with the desire to beat the poo poo out of said person for allowing those mistakes to happen... it makes sense. Future Barry hates himself so much that he actually wants to go back and inflict the trauma that made him who he is, just to see the look on his own stupid face as his heart collapses. Somebody made a joke about Barry seeking therapy and Savitar disappearing, but that's basically what he is. Savitar is "Barry Has Issues: The Character."

It could've worked. The main mistake they made was giving us all wayyyyyyyy too much time to figure out the twist, and shuffling Savitar offscreen for a too-large portion of the season. As a movie, or even a short-order Netflix series with a lot of the fluff cut out, this would be a much stronger plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bozart posted:

Iris will just make savitar feel love again and they will kiss and hug and have a million babies

In an attempt to prevent her death, Iris will get together with future Barry, causing current Barry to be so angry that he turns into Savitar and kills her

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Savitar can't be Barry because Barry would have just gone back to his mothers death and like moved a plant a couple feet to change the timeline.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 5, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This all seems like a massively convoluted plot to get rid of a useless character.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Maybe we get a timeline where Barry goes back in time to kill his mom to stop Savitar from existing and RF has to stop him

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe we get a timeline where Barry goes back in time to kill his mom to stop Savitar from existing and RF has to stop him
We need a plot about Barry's mother going back in time to stop herself from getting pregnant, because she's tired of her incompetent son loving with the timeline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently a thing they're going to go into is Barry's message to Rip which they originally made you think was about Flashpoint/Invasion but instead was actually about Barry becoming Savitar.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

So apparently a thing they're going to go into is Barry's message to Rip which they originally made you think was about Flashpoint/Invasion but instead was actually about Barry becoming Savitar.

Oh I wanted to mention that, I forgot what the exact wording was and wanted to go back and check. That's an interesting twist, does that mean we will be getting more guest drop ins before the end of the season?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

muscles like this! posted:

but I always thought it was about Savitar...

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I think all of you are missing the point of the episode which was Caitlin's Iceman Slide. That's the coolest thing I've seen in this or any other series. I also thought it was awesome in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends when I was a kid, but this is real and that was just a cartoon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well, I mean, technically it's sort of a cartoon here too...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nelson posted:

I think all of you are missing the point of the episode which was Caitlin's Iceman Slide. That's the coolest thing I've seen in this or any other series. I also thought it was awesome in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends when I was a kid, but this is real and that was just a cartoon.

That was goofy, and dumb, and loving sweet! I love when ice characters get goofy 60's comics powers. She needs to capture someone in a snowman at some point.

R-Type posted:

This all seems like a massively convoluted plot to get rid of a useless character.

There are so, so many ways Iris could be a not useless character. gently caress, HR was made not useless.
Also LOL if you think they're killing off the girlfriend for more than half an episode before Barry Flashpoints himself a better timeline again.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lotus circle posted:

We need a plot about Barry's mother going back in time to stop herself from getting pregnant, because she's tired of her incompetent son loving with the timeline.

I am Nora Allen and I am the most frustrated woman alive. When I was a young mother, I saw different 12 copies of my kid all do something stupid at the same moment in time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

WhyteRyce posted:

I am Nora Allen and I am the most frustrated woman alive. When I was a young mother, I saw different 12 copies of my kid all do something stupid at the same moment in time.
Wow the next season of Flash is really gonna be great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved the ice slide but I also find it hilarious how Kaitlin's powers not only make her evil but that she also immediately knows how to use them in just about every way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I loved the ice slide but I also find it hilarious how Kaitlin's powers not only make her evil but that she also immediately knows how to use them in just about every way.

They could easily explain it by saying her powers shut down her emotions and empathy meaning she's a million times better at applying her already impressive intellect which is still kind of bullshit but a million times more acceptable than "evil split personality."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That's how powers work for everyone, though. If you're evil, creating giant tidal waves and stuff come naturally. Only the good guys actually have to figure out what the hell they're doing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn't criticizing. I genuinely get a kick out of it. Not in some hatewatching way but in the "this is a dumb comic book show and I loving love it" way.

My nerdy inner child has waited his entire life for there to be a million comic book movies and TV shows that crossover and poo poo. Im reveling in it now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Plus if you want to take the show's word that Flash Time = some weird version of Real World Time, then she's been on the run as Killer Frost for nearly two months now while Barry and co. have done like gently caress all to find her.

That's more than enough time to experiment with her powers while Barry, Wally and Cisco sat around with their thumbs up their asses as Julian yelled at them nonstop.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

STAC Goat posted:

What holds up all of those ice loop-de-loops though?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Nothing. She thinks she hasn't killed anyone yet, but actually 137 people died in the chase from head injuries sustained from falling blocks of ice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nullsmack posted:

Freeze Force.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Phenotype posted:

That's how powers work for everyone, though. If you're evil, creating giant tidal waves and stuff come naturally. Only the good guys actually have to figure out what the hell they're doing.

Kinda makes sense though? Good people worrying about losing control and hurting bystanders and poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ojjeorago posted:

Freeze Force.

I chuckled.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Guy A. Person posted:

Now serving #26:

"Yes how can I help you?"

"I created a future of infinite Zooms so I need to prevent RF #6 from killing my mother 2 minutes early and then help RF #2 re-kill her at the proper time and then get back to his own timeline where he is a member of Congress so he can vote on time travel legislation"
This is the best post.

Next season can we have a Character Name Spelling FAQ thread for the Arrowverse? :mad:

nelson posted:

Medullah posted:

Well, I mean, technically it's sort of a cartoon here too...
Don't take this away from us... :(

That episode... was kind of bad. Well, the reveal was bad. Aside from the Wells one in Season 1 (actually, the two RF ones - the first with Wells, then the one later with Eobard which was a complete "WTF" moment), this show has been really bad at reveals. The Joe stuff was kind of annoying just because he should know that breaking up with her isn't going to protect her at all. Like, when Caitlyn shows up at the door he should have tried saying "Uh I just broke up with her Caitlyn, DUH".

Wally's little Earth-3 vacation was poorly timed also.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

This is the best post.

aw shucks :kiddo:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

irlZaphod posted:

Next season can we have a Character Name Spelling FAQ thread for the Arrowverse? :mad:

You could cut out the middle man and just make a blanket yell at me since I can never get names right. I know it, I'm sorry. I try to do better.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

You could cut out the middle man and just make a blanket yell at me since I can never get names right. I know it, I'm sorry. I try to do better.
Haha sorry man. I only watched the episode last night so was catching up on the thread, I think I saw at least 3 different people spelling her name 4+ different ways. You were just the most recent one!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, really, I mean it. I do it all the time. Always have. I'm fully conscious of it and yet it keeps happening. I have no doubt I've driven a bunch of people insane who had that particular hangup and I've had friends freak out at me over it because it was theirs. I'm just terrible with names.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

No, really, I mean it. I do it all the time. Always have. I'm fully conscious of it and yet it keeps happening. I have no doubt I've driven a bunch of people insane who had that particular hangup and I've had friends freak out at me over it because it was theirs. I'm just terrible with names.

I'm going to start spelling it Kaitlyn Snough from now on just to mess with people. :colbert:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8A-N_KigM

Sizzle reel for the rest of the season. It's kinda cool.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I stumbled across this on Reddit the other day, but apprently Tom Cavanagh and Grant Gustin are making an indie film together about a pair of inept bank robbers (played by themselves). They're both really good at dumb comedy so it looks like it should pretty fun.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man it's truly funny to think how much I disliked Savitar at his introduction, versus now when the plot actually tied really nicely together into him being a bad end version of Barry. I think them going from a full CGI rendering to making a physical suit helped a lot in that department, but overall Savitar is everything I wished the Zoom plot could have been.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Popular opinion says this latest season blows chunks. Confirm or deny?

I just watched the last 1/4 of season 2 solely because I wanted to see how Thawne and the Black Flash all played into one another on Legends of Tomorrow. Earth 2 Harry was great. Everything else... less so.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This season is better than 2, but still has a ton of problems.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Popular opinion says this latest season blows chunks. Confirm or deny?

I just watched the last 1/4 of season 2 solely because I wanted to see how Thawne and the Black Flash all played into one another on Legends of Tomorrow. Earth 2 Harry was great. Everything else... less so.

Right now the ratings are:
Legends of Tomorrow s2 - the best
Flash s1 / Supergirl s1 - A tie for fantastic
Supergirl s2 - great
Flash s3 - Ehh, it's pretty alright
Flash s2 - Dumb, lots pf problems,
Legends of Tomorrow s1 - It was bad, characters were dumb, plot was dump, villain was worse.
Arrow (all) - Cry talking, poor decisions, purestrain CW drama.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

8one6 posted:

Right now the ratings are:
Legends of Tomorrow s2 - the best
Flash s1 / Supergirl s1 - A tie for fantastic
Supergirl s2 - great
Flash s3 - Ehh, it's pretty alright
Flash s2 - Dumb, lots pf problems,
Legends of Tomorrow s1 - It was bad, characters were dumb, plot was dump, villain was worse.
Arrow (all) - Cry talking, poor decisions, purestrain CW drama.

Arrow S1, 2 and 5 definitely beat out LoT s1 and maybe Flash s2.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Arrow S1, 2 and 5 definitely beat out LoT s1 and maybe Flash s2.

Arrow s2 would be above flash s1 for me. That was a great season of television

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think if this season hadn't come hot off the heels of two previous seasons that also did evil speedsters we might be a little more forgiving as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think a big part of it was that we didn't really get much of a breather after Reverse Flash before Zoom was mentioned. I think his name was dropped in the first or second episode of Season 2?

• Locked thread