Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm voting for Corey Booker in 2020, you're voting for Stein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

I'm voting for Corey Booker in 2020, you're voting for Stein.

i doubt a racist trump voter would ever vote for corey booker, but you say whatever you want to try to make yourself feel less racist after feeling the need to defend racists

i'll be over here not voting for jill stein and not giving segregation loving racists a pass

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That's great! I'm happy to be owned by you online if you do go and vote for Corey Booker especially after your Stein vote.

We're both Democrats at the end of the day.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

That's great! I'm happy to be owned by you online if you do go and vote for Corey Booker especially after your Stein vote.

We're both Democrats at the end of the day.

if corey booker is the 2020 candidate, and he has greater than a snowball's chance in hell of winning my state (at the moment, he don't), then i'll vote for him. otherwise, i don't need to bother as it's a symbolic vote and he doesn't align with me politically (that he aligns with a segregationist like yourself is v worrying too)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I didn't realize they were politicians driving the Democrat party but I guess we live in an era where Chapo Trap House is a bastion for the leftist "resistance".

If you want to claim that Samantha Bee has no influence on politics, please feel free. She has a nationally televised show where she speaks her political opinions for millions to listen to. Calling her out is perfectly fine.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yes she has no influence on politics.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey tv personality idpol argument megathread, we got news from Montana.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/...n-single-digits

Noted X-man Hater Mike Pence is heading to Montana to stump for the GOP candidate

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

If you guys aren't bored of this yet, we got news from Montana.

Noted X-man Hater Mike Pence is heading to Montana to stump for the GOP candidate

they did this for ks04 as well iirc. dems should give up on trying to catch republicans off guard. they are going in to all of these fights and treating them as top priority contests. meanwhile obama is campaigning for foreign leaders instead of democrats back home. at least bernie's gonna support quist

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shrike82 posted:

The irony of you calling out individuals for their voting decisions and then saying this is amazing. Sam Bee certainly influenced more than one voter.

E: VVV If you don't care for the topic of conversation, feel free to not post for a while.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 9, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Why not pen an article for Breitbart or National Review about how the "entertainment" wing of the Democrat party are rich white racists?

That seems like a pretty lucrative career.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Hey tv personality idpol argument megathread, we got news from Montana.

I know that it's good for Democrats to even be close at all in these deep red races, but gently caress I hope they win one of these things sometime.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

True, because a liberal Democratic party led by people like her will continue to fail electorally

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Why not pen an article for Breitbart or National Review about how the "entertainment" wing of the Democrat party are rich white racists?

That seems like a pretty lucrative career.

She is a rich white racist though

The bare minimum the Democratic Party can do is not allow Breitbart and National Revoew to make actually valid attacks on them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not too worried about Breitbart/NR because they're going to make poo poo up as they always do. I'm a bit surprised leftists care as well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Queering Wheel posted:

I know that it's good for Democrats to even be close at all in these deep red races, but gently caress I hope they win one of these things sometime.

Well, you see, it would be wrong for the national party to help the candidates in these races because something something.

icantfindaname posted:

The bare minimum the Democratic Party can do is not allow Breitbart and National Revoew to make actually valid attacks on them

One of the more baffling things about centrists is that they get super mad about people who think that the Democrats and Republicans are the same and then also get super mad when somebody criticizes Democrat politicians for doing poo poo that directly feeds this idea.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, you see, it would be wrong for the national party to help the candidates in these races because something something.

One of the more baffling things about centrists is that they get super mad about people who think that the Democrats and Republicans are the same and then also get super mad when somebody criticizes Democrat politicians for doing poo poo that directly feeds this idea.

And you were advocating for voting Le Pen.

There seems to be an underlying nihilism with white leftists where it's not just sufficient to abstain from voting to taint their leftist credentials, but they have to actually vote for fascists.

white_accelerationism.txt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

Look buddy, if you want to do this mindless contrarian poo poo you shouldn't actually make poo poo up. Shows a lack of dedication to the trolling.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Redistricting is fine and all but I worry that ultimately the rich people will just bail to some other wealthy neighborhood in a few years. I think that what we ultimately need is to fund schools equally at the state or federal level and then remove the barriers that prevent poor kids from attending rich schools. That way there's no point in moving since literally every school will have poor/black students. More affordable public housing in rich areas is also a good idea.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

The whole reason that real estate costs so much in that neighborhood

uh, Manhattan real estate isn't affordable period

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

shrike82 posted:

There seems to be an underlying nihilism with white leftists where it's not just sufficient to abstain from voting to taint their leftist credentials, but they have to actually vote for fascists.

white_accelerationism.txt

Isn't it time for you to switch over to trolling the pro-establishment Democrats?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

shrike82 posted:

I didn't realize they were politicians driving the Democrat party but I guess

Actually if you don't politically align with the daily show you are an irrelevant Democrat. Hell, you barely exist without a healthy does of the daily show

SSNeoman posted:

Mr. Noah just showed you that they don't. Your spooked voters are in your head.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

readingatwork posted:

Redistricting is fine and all but I worry that ultimately the rich people will just bail to some other wealthy neighborhood in a few years. I think that what we ultimately need is to fund schools equally at the state or federal level and then remove the barriers that prevent poor kids from attending rich schools. That way there's no point in moving since literally every school will have poor/black students. More affordable public housing in rich areas is also a good idea.

it's not just about funding. it's getting school populations to reflect the demographics of new york, not split into white schools and black schools. fixing funding isn't enough

but yes, a more permanent solution than redistricting is needed. standing in the way of redistricting cause it doesn't permanently solve the problem is racist though, and actually makes finding a better solution less likely

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

senator manchin is getting primaried... by paula jean swearengin!

she's great, she's an environmentalist, she's pro universal healthcare, and she wants to improve education and try to bring back jobs to wv by making it able to support new jobs again

Paula Swearengin posted:

When they started stripmining, I can remember my grandfather saying that he'd bag groceries before he'd blow up mountains. He said it was wrong, and he was a coal miner for 45 years. It's all he ever did.

In 2000 my grandpa died and my grandmother started getting sick, so I decided to take my boys back to West Virginia. I noticed things weren't right. A little girl next door had a rare form of bone cancer. There was a little boy, 14, dying of kidney failure. One day I was a working single mom, and the next day I was standing on mountains screaming at people.

I am a coal miner's daughter. I am a coal miner's granddaughter. But I am also a mother, and there's no way you can justify poisoning my children. My children have just as much right to a future, and just as much right to enjoy these mountains and the beauty of these mountains, as I did. And I will fight to my death for that. Watch out, King Coal, because here come the Queens of Appalachia. (Interviewed May 28, 2012)

i already like her a lot more than manchin, who tells his constituents he won't represent them

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's going to be interesting to watch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

That's going to be interesting to watch.

There's definitely a sizable portion of the population who aren't averse to government helping to solve their problems, it's just that Republicans run on the culture war stuff since their donors don't want change and Democrats are paid by the same donors to follow their lead or get replaced.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1mPCkDfMhw&t=21s

this is paula jean swearengir again, asking bernie for help

i really hope she is successful in her senate campaign and she's sitting in the senate with bernie soon :)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

Is your argument really so weak that you have to set up strawmen this blatant?
He probably doesn't even realize it's a strawman, Majorian. JeffersonClay isn't just a bloody-minded horse's rear end, he's also really, really stupid. He claimed advocating single-payer would drive up GOP turnout, and when presented evidence against this assertion, was unable to even recognize it as such. He just confabulated his way out of it like he always does, calling me a dumb leftist and insisting there must be some other thing that drove up GOP turnout in the case of Ossoff (and he didn't even bother to speculate what it was). There is literally nothing you can say that will bring him around so much as a single degree, for pretty much the same reason you'll never convince someone with Anton–Babinski syndrome that they're actually blind: literally brain damage.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/white-working-class-trump-cultural-anxiety/525771/

quote:

While the analysis pointed to some interesting patterns around economic status, more research is needed to confirm them. The findings contrast with much of the coverage of the election: People who said their finances are only in fair or poor shape were nearly twice as likely to support Clinton compared to those who feel more economically secure.

quote:

Although demographic factors like gender, age, geographic region, and religion weren’t statistically significant predictors of who (among the white working class) voted for Trump, some of the other information gathered in the survey offers a portrait of how white working-class Americans feel about their status in the world. Nearly two-thirds of the white working class say American culture has gotten worse since the 1950s. Sixty-eight percent say the U.S. is in danger of losing its identity, and 62 percent say America’s growing number of immigrants threaten the country’s culture. More than half say discrimination against whites has become just as problematic as discrimination against minorities.

The base of Trump's support are middle and lower-middle/richer working class people who are afraid of other races

People who cared about the economy or worried about being poor voted Clinton

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

shrike82 posted:

I didn't realize they were politicians driving the Democrat party but I guess we live in an era where Chapo Trap House is a bastion for the leftist "resistance".

"Stop being so mean to Abuelita! Wait, no, never mind, now stop being mean to comedians I like! Talk about politicians - just not Abuelita!:qq:"

By the way, I can't imagine there weren't at least a few Latino Americans who found the whole "Abuelita" thing to be incredibly patronizing from the Clinton campaign.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://www.prri.org/research/white-working-class-attitudes-economy-trade-immigration-election-donald-trump/

quote:

Economic hardship. Notably, while only marginally significant at conventional levels (P<0.1), being in fair or poor financial shape actually predicted support for Hillary Clinton among white working-class Americans, rather than support for Donald Trump. Those who reported being in fair or poor financial shape were 1.7 times more likely to support Clinton, compared to those who were in better financial shape.

quote:

Nearly half (48%) of white working-class Americans say, “things have changed so much that I often feel like a stranger in my own country.”

Nearly seven in ten (68%) white working-class Americans believe the American way of life needs to be protected from foreign influence. In contrast, fewer than half (44%) of white college-educated Americans express this view.

OTOH they don't support deportations:

quote:

Nearly six in ten (59%) white working-class Americans believe immigrants living in the country illegally should be allowed to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, while 10% say they should be allowed to become permanent legal residents. More than one in four (27%) say we should identify and deport illegal immigrants. Notably, support for a path to citizenship is only slightly lower than support among the general public (63%).

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Majorian posted:

"Stop being so mean to Abuelita! Wait, no, never mind, now stop being mean to comedians I like! Talk about politicians - just not Abuelita!:qq:"

By the way, I can't imagine there weren't at least a few Latino Americans who found the whole "Abuelita" thing to be incredibly patronizing from the Clinton campaign.

Yeah it didn't go over great.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/us/politics/hillary-clinton-is-not-my-abuela-critics-say.html

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

People who cared about the economy or worried about being poor voted Clinton

No, most people who cared about the economy or worried about being poor voted Clinton, not all people. This is in fact an incredibly important difference when the race was as tight as it was, which people keep ignoring for some strange reason.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 9, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
IIRC Clinton won among poorer voters just not at the margins you usually expect a Democrat to do so.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

IIRC Clinton won among poorer voters just not at the margins you usually expect a Democrat to do so.

Yes this is the case. It's irritating since you see the attitude that she was betrayed by the poor even though as a group they voted for her stronger than other income demographics and Trump is just as bad for everyone who isn't mega rich. It's not like the middle class should get some kind of free pass like they are voting in their own interests.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kilroy posted:

yeah according to the nyt's exit polls the under 30k income bracket swung 16% to trump from 2012

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah according to the nyt's exit polls the under 30k income bracket swung 16% to trump from 2012

Saying that Clinton won among poorer voters is a very fishmechian statement insofar that it's technically correct but actively hinders properly understanding of the subject at hand.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not clear to me that anyone actually reads National Review anymore.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

I can't tell if the graph he's using is a poll aggregate or just the one poll he references in the article. Wang at Princeton reran his analysis taking into account the end of the sampling period of the poll, and still found a substantial effect.

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/12/10/the-comey-effect/

quote:

May 9th, 2017: I am re-upping this because of the recent column by Nate Silver on this topic. He had previously addressed the topic of Comey, shortly after the election. I thought he did a good job, both then and now.

I don’t entirely see the need to revisit the topic, which I regard as settled. To me, the other critique in the news illustrates the inadequacy of smoothing methods to forensically extract rapid changes like the Comey effect.

It will be interesting to see what Silver has to say about it. He was quite critical of the NYT's coverage of Comey/emails in his piece on the Comey effect so this could be Cohn playing defense. Or he could be right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/861612012283080704

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 9, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

It's not clear to me that anyone actually reads National Review anymore.

Nobody ever read it except college Republicans and liberals who get off on bipartisan consensus. The Republican voter base has never given a gently caress about conservative prestige media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Actually if you don't politically align with the daily show you are an irrelevant Democrat. Hell, you barely exist without a healthy does of the daily show

Oh hey congrats on showing your face. I have some fresh crow for you to eat. Turns out you were wrong about Democrats learning nothing from Kansas.

• Locked thread