Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

frenzy posted:

I use this process: all changes happen on the server first, because changes to configs usually require restarts, and the server loads in 1.5mins whereas the client is around 7mins. Saves a lot of time. If I'm lucky, I'll remember to include all the configs when I release the curseforge package. If I forgot, probably have to wait until the next update. Once the curseforge client package and the server are synced and I know it's stable, I'll build the technic versions which include the actual server package and release those then circle back to curseforge and put the server package there as well. The majority of the time these updates do not include big changes to mobs like this, but you happened to catch it while I was integrating roughmobs.

When doing this, you could whitelist the server or something. Keep other players from logging in while you're testing, if you haven't changed any clientside mods that would otherwise block other players from entering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
It's never been an issue, and I'm really open about it in the pack description where I talk about how I'm constantly updating it. So you log in and some mobs kill you cus I accidentally left them super deadly, rip. It's still the pack with the most content on curse if you just want to see everything. Even at the unintended difficulty Rocko experienced it's nothing compared to COTT, plus I gave him ops

frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 8, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anyways, I took a look at roughmobs and drat :wth:...:

Oh, so that's what's causing all the stupid mob tricks in the pack a group I was watching was playing.

It's like, I get why you add that poo poo, I don't get why it's fun. There's only so much mileage even the best streamer can get out of "an invisible creeper blew up my farm for the eighth time."

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I disabled cloaking/sticky pretty early on. If there was a bauble you could use to see cloaked enemies then that would be cool

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

if you don't want awful stupid mob interactions, it's curious as to why you'd install a pack apparently based on awful stupid mob interactions, but sure get defensive and shrill instead

There are different levels of stupid mob interactions.

mobs stealing items in your hand is on the way too stupid side of the line

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
The Rats in COTT are weird. First they are great to have around before you get anything shiny because they will attack wild dogs and bears. Then they become kill on sight because of the stealing mechanic but so far I've only lost one big thing because as soon as I hear the buggers I get defensive. Also I got really pissed the other day because I was gunning hard for Refined Storage and the pack has it gated behind some pretty pain in the rear end materials from Steve's Carts 2. Especially since Ad Infernos is in and the Nether is a pain. Guess I'll just have to set up some massive Storage Drawers because Colossal Chests is awful.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's fine if you want to kind of focus on a crapsack world kind of game style that I think at least is the original tone of the pack, but it wasn't really what I was banking on from what you had posted here. Even with some of those settings toned down, there's still a lot of crazy mob stuff going on there.
Regarding the general rant: something still stands. Have people kind of gone more griefy with mobs in the past year? I don't know if it's just what goons are playing any more or what, but it seems like a lot of the stuff has gotten a lot cheaper with the mobs.
I recommended it off of my experience in Singleplayer. I play with mob griefing off and keep inventory on (which I probably should have mentioned). With those, I never really had any trouble with mobs at all (unless I went into a dungeon, but ymmv), so I didn't think to mention the mob changes.

I guess I never played on the newest (broken) patch.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 8, 2017

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I'm doing the whole modded Minecraft thing for basically the first time since ~1.7.10 and goddamn, modpacks are a mess to get started with! It's nice that some things never change :downs:

Like, here are some of the conclusions I've drawn while trying to set up my stupid block game:

• Never Enough Items has been replaced by Just Enough Items. NEI still exists but now it runs on top of JEI. There's also Forever Enough Items, which adds more stuff on top of NEI and JEI.
  • There are four info viewer mods: What Am I Looking At, What Are We Looking At, and Here's What You're Looking At, and The One Probe. HWYLA and WAILA are incompatible because they both register ingame with the same name. WAWLA will run alongside either of them but can also run by itself.
  • Keybinds are still a mess. Binding shift+R and R shows up as a key conflict but they're separate key events ingame. Some mods have hardcoded keys that don't show up in the controls. The game won't tell you if a keybind is broken or blocked, you just have to test them all and see what happens.
  • Almost every mod runs update checks on launch by default. forge.cfg has an option to disable them but I don't know whether all mods respect that.
  • Some mods just go online and download new files during gameplay. I'm sure it's fine.

(Ex Compressum)
  • This is fine.

(FTB Beyond)

After all the complaining, I'll say that mods do play together much better than they used to - no more ID conflicts, for starters. The Curse mod dependency system and one-click installs have made it very easy to roll your own pack too. I just wish everything was better documented!

tl;dr questions:
- Are there any good writeups on making packs for 1.10, or somewhere I can go to complain about this stuff?
- What are some more examples of packs where the creators are hands-on with configuration/testing and have at least attempted to keep a consistent design aesthetic? In particular I'm looking for more casual packs - there's apparently no shortage of hardcore survival simulators :v:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

naptalan posted:

• There are four info viewer mods: What Am I Looking At, What Are We Looking At, and Here's What You're Looking At, and The One Probe. HWYLA and WAILA are incompatible because they both register ingame with the same name. WAWLA will run alongside either of them but can also run by itself.

WAILA/WAWLA/HWYLA suck, they are not immersive. TOP has settings that makes it immersive and lets you see into chests and see how much power or fluid a machine has and other things. You may also be interested in FruitPhone, the best info viewer IMO, but it was still buggy the last time I tried it

naptalan posted:

• Keybinds are still a mess. Binding shift+R and R shows up as a key conflict but they're separate key events ingame. Some mods have hardcoded keys that don't show up in the controls. The game won't tell you if a keybind is broken or blocked, you just have to test them all and see what happens.

Looks like someone missed all the keyboard conflict resolution mods, there's like 10 of them now! The best is when a pack sets these keys for you, so if you're typing in a menu looking for an item you might get surprised by a nice mod GUI popup instead

naptalan posted:

• Almost every mod runs update checks on launch by default. forge.cfg has an option to disable them but I don't know whether all mods respect that.

I started disabling these individually in my pack, but eventually I gave up on that and started just updating the mods to get rid of the message instead. Seemed easier

naptalan posted:

• Some mods just go online and download new files during gameplay. I'm sure it's fine.

with Excompressum I believe this is for the skins it puts on the little players inside it's machines. I have no idea what beyond is doing. I don't want to look

naptalan posted:

tl;dr questions:
- Are there any good writeups on making packs for 1.10, or somewhere I can go to complain about this stuff?
- What are some more examples of packs where the creators are hands-on with configuration/testing and have at least attempted to keep a consistent design aesthetic? In particular I'm looking for more casual packs - there's apparently no shortage of hardcore survival simulators :v:

I'd send you to /r/feedthebeast. I'm pretty hands on with grimdark, and my design aesthetic of bringing you everything 1.10.2 has to offer in one stable place has never changed. One thing with grimdark you might not realize is that if you look closely the veil of difficulty is actually pretty thin, for example I added a recipe for the tome of knowledge which is an item from ProjectE that gives your transmutation tablet every item that has an EMC value. Some mobs might seem scary and some might hit harder, but I've kept their HP from creeping too far past defaults because no one likes hitting the same zombie ten times. There's a mod called scalinghealth which drops hearts that give you more total HP when you eat them (a portion of this is lost on death). Zombies/skeletons carry every weapon/armor in the game so chances are you might get a piece of endgame armor or OP weapon dropping if you kill certain boss skeleton/zombies. If you've ever marveled at all the food Pam's adds but never had a chance to set up elaborate farms to make it all that's okay because everything from Pam's now comes out of lootbags (among a crapton of other things). The sieve lists and drops were all expanded as well, you can get almost every resource by sieving certain items which lets you set up total automation of ore generation. There's an abundance of little things that happen in grimdark that I hope will add up to a "hardcore" playthrough that's quite a bit different from what you may expect as defined by the current wave of hardcore packs. If you ever played the original Tekkit imagine that but with everything that exists today. They say your first modded experience determines your tastes when you're older and for me that was Tekkit back in the day when it first dropped and a goon named Jaktai put up a server for it :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my first modded minecraft experience was gregtech and that's why i wear this black leather harness to play

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

naptalan posted:

[*] This is fine.

(FTB Beyond)
[/list]
Wait, you're opening up the source code and pointing to that? That's not fair because that's too easy!

At least mods these days don't exceed the limit on Java bytecode that can be put into a single method.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I like Fruit Phone a lot more than The One Probe, largely because of the configurability. Also it just looks nicer (I hate how TOP looks). It's a pain when the Fruit Glass item drops on death but I prefer it, if it stops being crashy.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

frenzy posted:

with Excompressum I believe this is for the skins it puts on the little players inside it's machines. I have no idea what beyond is doing. I don't want to look

I really like the idea behind the excompressum players-in-cubes, it's a cute little idea and I like that you can feed them to make them work faster.
Then I tried to put another one down and I started getting racist skins, naked skins, and an actual Nazi. I had to move that drat thing around like five times just to get a non-offensive skin on the little dude.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bbcisdabomb posted:

I really like the idea behind the excompressum players-in-cubes, it's a cute little idea and I like that you can feed them to make them work faster.
Then I tried to put another one down and I started getting racist skins, naked skins, and an actual Nazi. I had to move that drat thing around like five times just to get a non-offensive skin on the little dude.

If the skin bothers you, rename it with a name tag and it will choose the skin for that player.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If the skin bothers you, rename it with a name tag and it will choose the skin for that player.

I didn't know about that, thanks. Time to enslave myself for the good of me :getin:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

naptalan posted:

Never Enough Items has been replaced by Just Enough Items. NEI still exists but now it runs on top of JEI. There's also Forever Enough Items, which adds more stuff on top of NEI and JEI.
Just use JEI. It's faster and is what everything is integrated with. NEI is outdated and addons like FEI are not needed.

naptalan posted:

There are four info viewer mods: What Am I Looking At, What Are We Looking At, and Here's What You're Looking At, and The One Probe. HWYLA and WAILA are incompatible because they both register ingame with the same name. WAWLA will run alongside either of them but can also run by itself.
Just use TOP. It's faster and works better with more mods and it's highly configurable.

naptalan posted:

Almost every mod runs update checks on launch by default. forge.cfg has an option to disable them but I don't know whether all mods respect that.

They don't. Welcome to MC modding!

naptalan posted:

Here is fine. I have a sortof pack that I try to be very thorough with and have good design but it's not finished. Ask me again in a month or two. :v:

Black Pants posted:

I like Fruit Phone a lot more than The One Probe, largely because of the configurability. Also it just looks nicer (I hate how TOP looks). It's a pain when the Fruit Glass item drops on death but I prefer it, if it stops being crashy.

TOP is really configurable. Here's how I have it set up right now:

https://pastebin.com/6gpkexi2

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

Just use JEI. It's faster and is what everything is integrated with. NEI is outdated and addons like FEI are not needed.

Just use TOP. It's faster and works better with more mods and it's highly configurable.

They don't. Welcome to MC modding!

Here is fine. I have a sortof pack that I try to be very thorough with and have good design but it's not finished. Ask me again in a month or two. :v:

TOP is really configurable. Here's how I have it set up right now:

https://pastebin.com/6gpkexi2

..I wasn't aware it could be configured further in a config file. But that's still sort of a pain. Fruit Phone can be adjusted so precisely in-game, whereas TOP has five sizes (That -begin- at 'this size is for people hard of sight') and a choice of location. WAILA has better, Fruit Phone has better, and yet TOP is what people go with for reasons beyond me.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

..I wasn't aware it could be configured further in a config file. But that's still sort of a pain. Fruit Phone can be adjusted so precisely in-game, whereas TOP has five sizes (That -begin- at 'this size is for people hard of sight') and a choice of location. WAILA has better, Fruit Phone has better, and yet TOP is what people go with for reasons beyond me.

The One Probe does have an in-game GUI config, sneak+right-click while holding The One Probe guide (as the instructions in this guide mention, given for free when you first join if using the default configs), or you may use the Forge Mod Options config UI to change the parameters.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
The One Probe is good, I have it configured in gd like pictured above and I have it set to only show chest contents / extra info if you craft and add it to a helmet or make the bauble and press shift. Fruitphone on the other hand has way more style and takes the in-game customization way further. I'd love to get it back but the issue I had with it is still there

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

infinity evolved skyblock update:

:science:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's almost physically painful to look at the 1.7.10 DE textures now. drat they've improved a lot.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait, you're opening up the source code and pointing to that? That's not fair because that's too easy!

At least mods these days don't exceed the limit on Java bytecode that can be put into a single method.
Nah, that's the Minecraft launcher's game output. These are all log messages output from the mods, from Forge, or the game itself. It's not very useful, partly because of the tens of thousands of lines and complete lack of respect for logging levels, but it's cool to see what's going on during the loading process (and which mods spit out the most errors).

Thanks for all the awesome info! I did settle on TOP and JEI in the end. My motivation with exploring the forest of JEI addons was to find some way to resize the item pane. Playing on widescreen is a frustrating experience sometimes.

Grimdark sounds awesome, it's on my list of packs to play! Right now I'm trying to set up a playable Pixelmon pack, which is hard because Pixelmon is garbage and won't play nicely with anything else (including JEI). But open world Pokemon is too strong a lure to resist:

Pokemon have a size modifier. My Chikorita is only 'huge'; here's a 'ginormous' one. :3:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Animalium is a lot more fun if you turn on all the "this animal attacks everything" settings.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

naptalan posted:

Pixelmon stuff.

Check out this map from BzUrQ if you haven't already. It's got just about all the biomes in neat little islands. Also has gyms and a lab, and a mall. Along with some legendary island thing. Last I had checked, he hadn't updated it with bosses on each floor of the tower on the legendary island. But it's still an amazing map.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/pixelmon-adventure-map---crew-pixelmon/

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I (and my daughter) would be super interested in a Pixelmon pack if you can get one up and running.

Also, I finally found lapis in CotT. Current count is ~15 stacks of redstone and 23 lapis. I need around 75 lapis for two of the starter quests, and I'm running out of easily available food...

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

I (and my daughter) would be super interested in a Pixelmon pack if you can get one up and running.

Also, I finally found lapis in CotT. Current count is ~15 stacks of redstone and 23 lapis. I need around 75 lapis for two of the starter quests, and I'm running out of easily available food...

It shouldn't be hard to set up a few fruit trees or berry farms. The juicer is easy to make for 3 stone, with andesite/granite/diorite you don't even need a furnace yet. Each drink of juice is almost as good as bread, but has less satiation if I remember right. Redundancy is key for something so easy to set up, you want a few locations set up away from each other so that a mistake with creepers doesn't set you back to zero food income for a while. Don't bother defending your early farms, though. Just stick them along your mining tunnels or whatever is most convenient for you to zip through and harvest.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So I'm really impressed with how hands on Booleyman has been with CoTT. It seems to update every couple days and right now I'm seeing what he changed early game and realized he pulled the recipe for making Ice using snow+buckets so you either have to grab a silk tough pickaxe and brave a snow biome or get lucky in a loot bag for ice essence seeds. Slows down the getting started quests but the added early class system is a nice improvement.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I was looking at that too. I think there's a recipe that makes ice from snow that isn't too bad, so you can do without silk touch. That's only a theory though, I haven't tried it myself.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So far, of all the 1.10.x packs, the only one that hasn't lagged me all to hell, even with 6G+ ram allocated, is Skyfactory 3 Any ideas for fixing this? I'm getting between 1 and 3 FPS, until I pause, then it's 45+. It's really frustrating.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd suggest opening fire at random with a stolen handgun in a crowded place, that should fix your issues

failing that, do you have mipmaps disabled? someone mentioned a couple pages ago that this fixed their performance - they were having similar slowness

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Turning off Mipmaps did the trick. Thanks!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
edit: nvm

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to see if there's much merit to parking in a Better Dungeons hidey hole at the beginning of the game in 1.10. I've partially done this a few times, but I always hit a snag around the 3rd floor. I can't kill stuff faster than it spawns, so I'm wondering if there are some really early-game stuff (iron tools, redstone, no machines) to do things like:

1. Remotely place lights (on/around spawners).
2. Area-of-effect weapons. The scythe is gone so I can't count on that like I used to.
3. Ranged weaponry better than arrows. I'm thinking maybe I can make something with Ars Magica 2 here.

Actually, an Ars Magica 2 spell--if I can do such a thing--to poo poo out a bunch of flames would go a ways towards managing a lot of that.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to see if there's much merit to parking in a Better Dungeons hidey hole at the beginning of the game in 1.10. I've partially done this a few times, but I always hit a snag around the 3rd floor. I can't kill stuff faster than it spawns, so I'm wondering if there are some really early-game stuff (iron tools, redstone, no machines) to do things like:

1. Remotely place lights (on/around spawners).
2. Area-of-effect weapons. The scythe is gone so I can't count on that like I used to.
3. Ranged weaponry better than arrows. I'm thinking maybe I can make something with Ars Magica 2 here.

Actually, an Ars Magica 2 spell--if I can do such a thing--to poo poo out a bunch of flames would go a ways towards managing a lot of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1sES0M_4ns

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So I came across something interesting. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/lost-thaumaturgy Even though the author decided not to put a description it apparently is Thaumcraft 2 for 1.11.2.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just tried COTT and lmao

"hey this isn't so bad, there isn't anything hostile and i assume there won't be any until night tiHOLY poo poo IS THAT AN ALSATIAN AAA"

thankfully some rats came and hosed it up, so i could dig a 3-block hole and cower

e: yes, this pack is not for me

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So I'm really impressed with how hands on Booleyman has been with CoTT. It seems to update every couple days and right now I'm seeing what he changed early game and realized he pulled the recipe for making Ice using snow+buckets so you either have to grab a silk tough pickaxe and brave a snow biome or get lucky in a loot bag for ice essence seeds. Slows down the getting started quests but the added early class system is a nice improvement.

What do you need ice for re: getting started quests? I haven't needed any yet.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Black Pants posted:

What do you need ice for re: getting started quests? I haven't needed any yet.

The Smart Output from Tinker I/O takes some last time I checked in the pack maybe he changed the recipe for it as well with the most recent update. I was heading to bed when I noticed so I didn't check.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Astral Sorcery has a leveling system that can give you some neat passive bonuses. The mobility focus gives you permanent speed, faster swimming, less hunger etc. There is a focus on getting more from crops and animals, with a capstone that generates ores in smooth stone nearby. Then there is the combat tree, which gives some damage boosts here and there but caps with a crazy bleed effect. Deals around 5 damage over a couple seconds on every hit. Hand, block, the swoop from the sword all causes the bleed effect.

It is relatively early in Astral Sorcery, and I struggle to find a use for the mod beyond making more of the mod. Attunement is the main payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Duke posted:

Astral Sorcery has a leveling system that can give you some neat passive bonuses. The mobility focus gives you permanent speed, faster swimming, less hunger etc. There is a focus on getting more from crops and animals, with a capstone that generates ores in smooth stone nearby. Then there is the combat tree, which gives some damage boosts here and there but caps with a crazy bleed effect. Deals around 5 damage over a couple seconds on every hit. Hand, block, the swoop from the sword all causes the bleed effect.

It is relatively early in Astral Sorcery, and I struggle to find a use for the mod beyond making more of the mod. Attunement is the main payout.

I went with the combat one and the bleed works even with AM2 spells, which is nice. I didn't know the others would be that cool though.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

The Smart Output from Tinker I/O takes some last time I checked in the pack maybe he changed the recipe for it as well with the most recent update. I was heading to bed when I noticed so I didn't check.

Oh, I never did that path. But I've got more ice seeds than I can count now, so.