Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Gebnder dixsnooira?

no, but being a huge rear end in a top hat about trans people comes pretty close in terms of how alienating it is vs. the rest of society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mirthless posted:

I think it's a lot weirder that you guys all apparently want to gently caress me, since obviously that's what commenting on a poster's posting means, right?
Mirth el pup

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

no, but being a huge rear end in a top hat about trans people comes pretty close in terms of how alienating it is vs. the rest of society

lighten up nerd this is a comedy forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

A+

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Sichoe posted:

lighten up nerd this is a comedy forum

welcome to 2017, it's funnier to laugh at permamad incels then trans people

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
i'm not sure what you are trying to say but i'm going to roll with it!

yeah!! go team

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
stop posting bad Jeff Sichoe

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I [46M] am dating a girl my daughter's [21F] age [21F] and am getting a lot of poo poo from everyone, why so?
submitted 8 minutes ago by gfdaughter

quote:

I had my son with my wife at 25. Last year, I got sexually frustrated and had an affair behind my wife's back. She then found out through the other woman and divorced me. I got a lot of poo poo from my 21 year old daughter and 16 year old son. I tried to convince her to come back, but I failed.

So, I went to a bar to drink, and ran into a wonderful babe. She is only 21, but I felt that was ok for me. I then took her to my house and we slept together. My daughter saw her and asked me. We said that we are dating, and my son and daughter gave me glares. They refuse to acknowledge me, and my affair had already ruined our relationships. How can I get them to warm up around me?

Many of my friends are also talking about me in a bad way. Even my ex wife and college exes heard and trash talk about me. What should I do to continue our relationship and to make my children warm up to me?

TL;DR : Dating a 21 year old woman, who is the same age as my daughter. My kids hate me after my affair and refuse to talk to me. What can I do?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I [46M] am dating a girl my daughter's [21F] age [21F] and am getting a lot of poo poo from everyone, why so?
I feel like kids seem to forgive cheating moms more quickly than dads but this goes above and beyond.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Danaru posted:

I love the idea of people this dense existing, but this world is not pure enough for this to both be real and somebody posting unironically.

"I acted like an rear end hole; why do people keep calling me an rear end in a top hat?!"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Danaru posted:

I must believe this is fake because nobody could possibly be this dense. Do not argue this with me.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

boner confessor posted:

being deaf profoundly changes your ability to communicate with others. to a large extent, culture is based on language. deaf people basically speak a different language

i agree with you it's dumb but it's not a totally invalid perspective. no other common physical disability sets people apart like being deaf does

So, if somebody's parents cut them off for learning to understand a foreign language you believe there is some validity to their perspective?

Like, if a somebody living in a small English speaking expat community in China decides to learn some Chinese it would be understandable for their parents to throw a tantrum over it?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 9, 2017

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I think it's more like if you came home with your skin dyed a different color

it's very identity based

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Keep banging that girl with Obvious Daddy Issues (ODI) and give your idiot children the middle finger

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Troposphere posted:

it's very identity based

Then it's not like a language at all, it's more a case of xenophobia.

Less like dying your skin (a visible signal), I'd think, and more like learning and taking part in a foreign culture.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Warbadger posted:

Then it's not like a language at all, it's more xenophobia.

Less like dying your skin (a visible signal), I'd think, and more like learning and actively taking part in a foreign culture.

honestly it's hard to compare to anything else because it's a very specific and unique phenomenon

I work with a lot of deaf customers and it's sad how my coworkers wont even attempt to learn the most basic signs. they're always pretty happy I at least attempt to talk to them. similar to people who speak a foreign language I guess but it feels different, more alienating

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, my personal experience has always been the opposite of this reddit story. Like I'll meet a deaf child, sign to them, and the parents will ask me not to sign because they are getting the kid a cochlear implant and they dont want their child to learn sign language. I think they think it will interfere with language development of spoken languages (it doesn't).

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Troposphere posted:

it's very identity based

Yea cutting off your child because they're not ideologically pure enough due to communicating with people who dont share your identity sure is a cool and sane thing to do.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Waci posted:

Yea cutting off your child because they're not ideologically pure enough due to communicating with people who dont share your identity sure is a cool and sane thing to do.

I never said it was a cool and sane thing to do?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

thinking about it, most disabled people i've met have been pieces of poo poo

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Fartbox posted:

Keep banging that girl with Obvious Daddy Issues (ODI) and give your idiot children the middle finger

This should be in DSM-6.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

At least in a relationship with a deaf person, you can just walk away from the sign language. Like close your eyes Haha.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What the gently caress? Deaf people will still have their braille to tie them together.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

At least in a relationship with a deaf person, you can just walk away from the sign language. Like close your eyes Haha.

I sincerely hope you keep doing this b/c this is a gimmick I enjoy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, my personal experience has always been the opposite of this reddit story. Like I'll meet a deaf child, sign to them, and the parents will ask me not to sign because they are getting the kid a cochlear implant and they dont want their child to learn sign language. I think they think it will interfere with language development of spoken languages (it doesn't).

Probably hearing parents. Dumb, but not nearly as dumb.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Whorelord posted:

thinking about it, most disabled people i've met have been pieces of poo poo

This is my experience too but I imagine being disabled sucks badly so I can't really be mad. Otoh one of the coolest people I've ever met was blind

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
gender swap gross person story

Me [30M] with my girlfriend [25F] of 8 mos, has stopped showering frequently

quote:

We've been dating a while and things have been great overall. Recently though she's gone from taking a shower every 2 or so days to going 5 or 6 days without. I know for some people that doesn't matter so much, but for me it's starting to bother me. I'm not someone who showers every day or even every other myself so I'm not turned off by that, but after 5 days it becomes noticeable to me.
She does have a depressive history, but ever since we've been dating she says she hasn't felt very depressed, so I don't think it's that. She used to shower at night before bed but mentioned she doesn't like sleeping with wet hair, but isn't much of a morning person so she usually doesn't get up in time.
She's not an especially busy person, so she'd have plenty of time to shower after work if she thought of it/wanted to.
I don't feel like I can just bring it up out of the blue without really hurting her feelings (she's very very sensitive with anything to do with body image), and I've tried dropping some hints without being overt, but no luck.
Any ideas on how to approach someone who is very sensitive about this kind of thing?
tl;dr: GF has cut way back on showering and I don't know how to approach her as she's very sensitive.

I don't get how people do this. I start feeling grody after a day and a half, isn't it just more pleasant to be clean?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waci posted:

Or like being deeply disappointed that they didn't become severely retarded in their early 20s as planned to the point of animalistic grunts and snarls and stares of disapproval at thoughtful nulltragic gazes.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Troposphere posted:

honestly it's hard to compare to anything else because it's a very specific and unique phenomenon

I work with a lot of deaf customers and it's sad how my coworkers wont even attempt to learn the most basic signs. they're always pretty happy I at least attempt to talk to them. similar to people who speak a foreign language I guess but it feels different, more alienating

In my experience with the Deaf community, I think they feel like cochlear implants are a threat to their community and language. They don't want those dying out, especially as members of a community where people were institutionalised and punished for decades because of a physical difference they had no control over, who communicated in the only way they could

I mean you can understand why it's a highly emotive issue for them :shrug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Schwa posted:

In my experience with the Deaf community, I think they feel like cochlear implants are a threat to their community and language, and they don't want those dying out, especially as members of a community where people were institutionalised and punished for decades because of a physical difference they had no control over, and communicating in the only way they could

Counterpoint: Helen Keller

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It really must be incredibly emotive, to the point of also blocking out rational thought. It's not like gaining hearing would make a true part of that community leave it.

I had extremely diminished hearing until I was 10. It sucked.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 9, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It really must be incredibly emotive, to the point of also blocking out rational thought. It's not like gaining hearing would make a true part of that community leave it.

A true part of that community would never want to hear and if they somehow gained hearing they would probably keep it a secret, it's some crazy poo poo

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

WrenP-Complete posted:

Typically, you'll find this more when both parents are deaf and have children that are also deaf. Non-deaf parents with deaf children don't usually do this, as they are not part of big-d Deaf Culture. Oddly enough, this reddit story is very consistent with my experiences, in that Deaf people can be very entitled and inconsiderate, almost like the White Trash of the disabled.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I think the concern is that kids who get cochlear implants won't become part of the community at all. But I think you're right, I don't think it's rational. A lot of things aren't.

I don't agree with the perspective, I'm just familiar with it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Blue Train posted:

A true part of that community would never want to hear and if they somehow gained hearing they would probably keep it a secret, it's some crazy poo poo

It really is. I wonder if there are other communities that treasure fixable disabilities like that.

quote:

I don't think it's rational. A lot of things aren't. 

I don't agree with the perspective, I'm just familiar with it

:hfive: I can see the motivation for it too. People go to great lengths to convince themselves.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 9, 2017

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Blue Train posted:

Counterpoint: Helen Keller

It turns out things have changed a bit since her time, and using one extreme outlier to draw a broad conclusion is bad anyway.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

It really is. I wonder if there are other communities that treasure fixable disabilities like that.

there are people who get extremely offended at the idea that there is research going to to cure autism, so theres that

not exactly the same but the same kinda concept

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

I think little people/dwarfs can be like that, a bit.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
What I don't get about the Deaf community is some of them completely denying they are missing anything at all. Trying to convince themselves and others that hearing is totally lame. It's clearly sour grapes but if that's the case, does that mean congenitally blind people go around denying that they are at a disadvantage for not having sight? Given that they were never exposed to the concept of sight, do they act like they aren't missing anything at all, that seeing is overrated anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Schwa posted:

In my experience with the Deaf community, I think they feel like cochlear implants are a threat to their community and language. They don't want those dying out, especially as members of a community where people were institutionalised and punished for decades because of a physical difference they had no control over, who communicated in the only way they could

We've had sign language since the 19th century, have there actually been people institutionalized and punished for being deaf within the last hundred years?