Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Isn't that Every Day Tray literally an MST3K invention exchange invention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They had the junk drawer organizer.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I made that exact same tray in 7th grade shop as a Father's Day gift.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Karl Pilkington came up with the idea of a tie with pockets on the Ricky Gervais Show something like ten years ago, and even then it was ridiculed for being loving stupid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember that kickstarter for a genetically-engineered bio-luminescent houseplant? The one that raised half a million dollars, almost ten times its original goal? Yeah, it's dead.

Reading their actual backer announcement their plan was actually to use the kickstarter money to create a strain of fragrant moss and then use the money they got from selling the moss to fund the actual research on glowing plants. Only their moss turned out to not be viable because the batch had problems because genetic engineering is really hard, so it's a failure on several levels.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The e-ink shoes team ran away with the money after their backers telling them their prototype looked nothing like the initial render.

The only staff member who responded to angry backers is an admin whose contract ended 6 months ago, wishing backers good luck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ShiftWear more like ShitWear

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
You can still send them money on their site:
https://shiftwear.com/store-order

Online media are still writing about them and linking to the site.

Meanwhile on their facebook:

Idiots being scammed never ceases to be funny

The team is currently blowing all the money on hookers and coke and window dressing the accounts

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 09:51 on May 8, 2017

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

These USD179 glow in the dark headphones are just going to be some USD6 headphones from AliExpress, right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1279925158/spark-headphones?ref=37qlqd

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vis...2e-529b275237d6

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 04:16 on May 9, 2017

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Those kind of outright scams are some of the worst examples of :capitalism:

So why do they make me feel extreme levels of schadenfreude?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If people think glow‐in‐the‐dark headphones are worth paying $180, it would be downright heretical not to take their money.

It’s in the Bible, Matthew 20.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kickstarter scams are all about equalizing the money:brain ratio.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Creature posted:

Karl Pilkington came up with the idea of a tie with pockets on the Ricky Gervais Show something like ten years ago, and even then it was ridiculed for being loving stupid.

He also suggested putting scissors in it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Platystemon posted:

If people think glow‐in‐the‐dark headphones are worth paying $180, it would be downright heretical not to take their money.

It’s in the Bible, Matthew 20. Rules Of Acquisition.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wish I had the lobes to pull of a repackaging Ali Baba scam.

Is it really even a "scam" to repackage a thing and give it a flashy brand and pitch it to rubes? Monster cables are a thing, after all.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's a valet tray and has existed probably hundreds of years.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I wish I had the lobes to pull of a repackaging Ali Baba scam.

Is it really even a "scam" to repackage a thing and give it a flashy brand and pitch it to rubes? Monster cables are a thing, after all.
A large part of the economy works like this. Non-food store brands work like this, basically. Who do you think AliBaba is selling to, with stuff like "cordless drill with custom printed logo, minimum order 10000pcs"?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yup, those are basically just white-label products. It's a humongous part of everything we buy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
AliExpress does tens of billions of dollars of business a day and for good reason. It's silly when people fret about using their credit card in there when Alipay is literally the largest transaction service on the planet, you really don't realize how much they're selling.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Guy Mann posted:

AliExpress does tens of billions of dollars of business a day and for good reason. It's silly when people fret about using their credit card in there when Alipay is literally the largest transaction service on the planet, you really don't realize how much they're selling.

I always figured the risk with aliexpress was getting something so cheap it disintegrated into a pile of heavy metals in transit, not getting crimed.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I consider AliExpress no more or less safe than most other sites. The real challenge is in wading through the millions of seemingly identical items posted by identical sellers with just slightly different product descriptions or some silly inconsequential characteristic, like the colour of the PCB.

As for the quality... Yeah, you often get what you pay for. If I'm ordering a random electronic part I can't find elsewhere, I'll often order 2x the quantity I need, just to account for the :airquote:quality control.:airquote:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Volcott posted:

I always figured the risk with aliexpress was getting something so cheap it disintegrated into a pile of heavy metals in transit, not getting crimed.

The system they have in place is pretty decent: when you pay the money is kept in escrow and the seller doesn't actually get it until you confirm that you've received the product and everything is in order. If they send you the wrong thing or it's broken or it never gets delivered you can choose to escalate and sellers will bend over backwards to avoid a bad rating, and then if they won't play nice or go radio silent you can just get your money back without issue.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

This needs all the love

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Flipperwaldt posted:

A large part of the economy works like this. Non-food store brands work like this, basically. Who do you think AliBaba is selling to, with stuff like "cordless drill with custom printed logo, minimum order 10000pcs"?

Hrm... will they do an artesenal wifi enabled bamboo drill?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There are apparently countries in Africa where the 'national' vehicle comes from Alibaba and send to their country pre-assembled.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This one's preparing to head to IndieGoGo:

http://www.mysmalt.com/

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Creature posted:

I honestly don't understand why a tie with pockets is more stupid than a tie.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

gschmidl posted:

This one's preparing to head to IndieGoGo:

http://www.mysmalt.com/

It took until halfway down the page, and the 3rd item there at that, to mention that this was a salt shaker. Slat grinder, maybe? Still, though, I hope there's not a market for a goddamn smart salt shaker.

fake edit:
Oh, it's not even their own thing:

quote:

Whether you want to dispense a pinch or a teaspoon, turn the dial or simply ask “Alexa” and wait for magic to happen.

Is Alexa open source like Google is?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SpacePig posted:

You can hook into it. It's their own thing, you can just say "Alexa, tell Smalt to salt my fries" or whatever stupid thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpacePig posted:

It's not open source, but you can put up apps on Amazon's store that will then run on the various Alexa-using devices if that's what you mean. Amazon calls them "skills" https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13727921011

It's pretty much like getting an app up on the Apple or Google phone app stores.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

fishmech posted:

It's not open source, but you can put up apps on Amazon's store that will then run on the various Alexa-using devices if that's what you mean. Amazon calls them "skills" https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13727921011

It's pretty much like getting an app up on the Apple or Google phone app stores.

I guess what I'm asking is if any company can make a device that uses whatever OS uses Alexa. Like, phones running Android can all use Google Now, and multiple companies can make devices running Android. Can any company make a device that runs Amazon's OS,or are they just hot-gluing an Echo on top of a salt shaker?

e: Or, I guess it could just be Bluetooth enabled and use an app like you said to sync with your Echo or whatever, and that's why Alexa is in quotes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpacePig posted:

I guess what I'm asking is if any company can make a device that uses whatever OS uses Alexa. Like, phones running Android can all use Google Now, and multiple companies can make devices running Android. Can any company make a device that runs Amazon's OS,or are they just hot-gluing an Echo on top of a salt shaker?

e: Or, I guess it could just be Bluetooth enabled and use an app like you said to sync with your Echo or whatever, and that's why Alexa is in quotes.

Amazon's OS is just Android with Amazon branding on it, incidentally.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't really have sympathy for people who get scammed out by crappy kickstarters, because if you're dumb enough to back things that are obviously scams/fake/impossible, you don't deserve the money anyways

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also if the item is good, you could always buy it later, ostensibly.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Collateral Damage posted:

ShiftWear more like ShitWear

ShiftWear more like VaporWear

FTFY

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
smalt

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Smug salt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like nobody paid attention to the warning against the Internet of Things that MegaMan Battle Network gave back in 2001. "Hey, if my oven is connected to the Internet, anyone can just burn my house down!"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"death, uh, finds a way"

I'll never tire of iot idiots and people throwing money into fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But can the Smalt run Doom?