Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This being Doctor Who, I know which one it probably is! :haw:

Oh, come on, let's not exaggerate. There's no way they'd ever give him ten pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, come on, let's not exaggerate. There's no way they'd ever give him ten pounds.

I was clearly talking about the entire season!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought that was a good episode. There were some genuinely creepy moments and the writing felt fairly real. I liked the use of 3D audio during that one scene with all the knocking coming from the ceiling.

The main weakness was the twist, it felt irrelevant and the previous theory (dying daughter) hadn't been established enough for its overturning to be exciting.

e: between the last two episodes this series seems a bit more political than usual too.

I don't think it was meant to be a shocking twist, his story not quite making sense was just an opportunity for Bill to show some 'common sense' human cleverness. That way she's not just a pretty face, or a damsel in distress who needs to be rescued, she's helping to work the problem.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Here's some background score for your lovely viddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHrryY5UL0

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Red is Dead posted:

Echoplex, ever thought of releasing a coffee table style book out of your set photos?

I would buy the ever loving poo poo out of something like that.

I am fascinated by "makings of" or behind the scenes stuff, and love reading your posts here after each episode.

Not sure a commercial venture like that would go down well with Auntie, so it'd be restricted to blogs I suspect, but one day when the dust has settled from various shows I will post bits, yeah.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The most important question: How do you decide what percentage the battery is at in your mock phone screens? I bet people complain if it's too low or too high.

That appears to be one of the rare times I've not left it at 88%, which is a fairly obvious reference < (but it's also a good neutral number; realistic use, no suggested peril). For the times on the phone - most shows these days put time of day per scene in the scripts because of how ubiquitous phones/computers in action are these days. Not that you ever see the time, really. Please don't check if you do, anyway.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

echoplex posted:

That appears to be one of the rare times I've not left it at 88%, which is a fairly obvious reference < (but it's also a good neutral number; realistic use, no suggested peril).

*heads to reddit to post about neo-nazi imagery in dr who*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah dude, not accusing you of anything but eighty-eight SUPER DUPER HAS SOME BAD CONNOTATIONS, FOR THE RECORD

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I was clearly talking about the entire season!

So was I! :v:

e: what's the 88 bad thing?

e2: oh. I see.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 9, 2017

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah dude, not accusing you of anything but eighty-eight SUPER DUPER HAS SOME BAD CONNOTATIONS, FOR THE RECORD

Quick someone tell tabloids that Doctor Who is not so secretly being run by NAZI's.

....Although some might think that's a good thing these days.

:(

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, the only reference I get from 88 is the nazi thing, what is the Doctor Who reference?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've just remembered the Doctor trying to slowly munch on the universe's loudest prawn cracker and failing. :allears:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Klungar posted:

Yeah, the only reference I get from 88 is the nazi thing, what is the Doctor Who reference?

Back to the Future.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tell me Doctor, where are we going this time?
Is this the 50s, or 1999?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HappyCamperGL posted:

Back to the Future.

Marty! We've got to do something about the Fuhrer!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Marty! We've got to do something about the Fuhrer!

Almost worth the inevitable tabloid backlash for that.

It's amazing, really, I knew about the radio connotations and some of it's interesting mathematical properties but had never tagged the other connection. Luckily that's one reference that's never been seen. (others have not escaped detection)

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 9, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Clearly you should stick to numbers everyone knows and no one will complain about as being cheeky. Like 69.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hanales posted:

Clearly you should stick to numbers everyone knows and no one will complain about as being cheeky. Like 69.

*Adric voice* Ah, yes... the weed number.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

*Adric voice* Ah, yes... the weed number.

[webofboners.gif]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

My battery tends to vary between 65% and 85% so 69% wouldn't be unbelievable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry, someone explain why 88% can be read as a Nazi thing because I don't see or know the connection.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AndyElusive posted:

Sorry, someone explain why 88% can be read as a Nazi thing because I don't see or know the connection.

88 is code for Heil Hiter, as H is the 8th letter of the alphabet.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For similar reasons, avoid 18

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

all-Rush mixtape posted:

That's.....a bit of a stretch.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jivjov posted:

It's a really common thing for Neo-Nazis. Shitheads will signify to each other whether they're 14 (white nationalist), 88 (Nazi), or 14/88 (both).

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

It is possible that neo-nazis are not the most intelligent and creative people the world has ever known.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't heard of this. Can I not talk about listening to some boogie-woogie on the 88s any more, then? :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hadn't heard of this. Can I not talk about listening to some boogie-woogie on the 88s any more, then? :(

You can, you just have to deal with people saying "nice", just like if you were listening to boogie-boogie on the 69s.

Noice.jpg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just listened to Torchwood: Corpse Day. Holy gently caress. What a hosed up story. Like; seriously bleak, depressing, and....yikes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

Just listened to Torchwood: Corpse Day. Holy gently caress. What a hosed up story. Like; seriously bleak, depressing, and....yikes.
It's Torchwood, what'd you expect? Especially with a name like "Corpse Day"

If it had been anything else, I'd have been impressed

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Here's some background score for your lovely viddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHrryY5UL0

If I knew what I was doing with all the synth stuff I have, I'd do a Wendy Carlos-style Doctor Who theme arrangement.

But since I don't, have the Delaware Theme!

AKA "What if the whole thing sounded like the BOING from The Ambassadors*?"

*of DEATH
BOING

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Public workers learn it in prevent training

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Neonazis have a loving shitload of secret symbols used for communicating their views to people in the know like they're some kind of loving masonic mystery cult. Sadly "norse, in general" is one of them and a load of viking runes also qualify. It's obviously a thing context is good for, because Nazis have made basically every combination of numbers racist somehow, but yeah. It's a thing.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols?cat_id[152]=152 Numbers specifically. Also "Heil christ", because Jesus was apparently super into the nazis.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

spectralent posted:

Neonazis have a loving shitload of secret symbols used for communicating their views to people in the know like they're some kind of loving masonic mystery cult. Sadly "norse, in general" is one of them and a load of viking runes also qualify. It's obviously a thing context is good for, because Nazis have made basically every combination of numbers racist somehow, but yeah. It's a thing.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols?cat_id[152]=152 Numbers specifically. Also "Heil christ", because Jesus was apparently super into the nazis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

spectralent posted:

because Jesus was apparently super into the nazis.

....they know he was a Jew, right? :confused:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

It's Torchwood, what'd you expect? Especially with a name like "Corpse Day"

If it had been anything else, I'd have been impressed

Well, you're not wrong. And to clarify...it was a good story; just....uncomfortable. Like an audio Countrycide

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

....they know he was a Jew, right? :confused:

These are the same people who thought the Grail would be diamond studded. You can't expect them to be logical, they choose poorly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1gFmZKA72E
Steven Moffat introduces Oxygen

"Oxygen is scarce but Capitalism is rife."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38WnGOC6s4
Pearl and Peter introduce Oxygen

"It's an economic strategy gone wrong."

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 11, 2017

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was sad to hear about Geoffrey Bayldon dying; he was really good as the Doctor in the two Big Finish plays he did. I was sad BF didn't acknowledge his passing at all, as to me he counts as A Doctor even though he's a very obscure one. Auld Mortality is definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it, although it does have a few baffling references to book continuity.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

docbeard posted:

It is possible that neo-nazis are not the most intelligent and creative people the world has ever known.

I immediately thought of the 88 cannon they used for AA and tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Is it really this? 88 already has links to germany without some weirdo code

The 8.8cm was like, their most signature weapon.

E:

Sad King Billy posted:

I immediately thought of the 88 cannon they used for AA and tanks.

Also as a standalone AT gun. it did everything. If anyone cares, it's the gun on the Tiger tank and was like one of the few things that could reliably kill Russian tanks at the start of the war.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 12, 2017

• Locked thread