Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cerepol posted:

I'm hoping this game moves away from the 3 difficulty system which is not great these days. I really hate normal and am curious what their solution would be if they did try to move away from it.

yeah, ditto

I'm also pretty eager to see how PoE handles the transition from 4 acts/3 difficulties to 10 acts/1 difficulty this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The thing that the 3 difficulty system does better than alternative models like Diablo 3's is that it contains some combination of progression and variety in the endgame.

We have to accept that content is not limitless and only a certain amount can be created per game. The trick is to make that content work for both levelling and the endgame.

For me, the ideal solution is a mix of the different systems: A two-difficulty system. One scales with level and is used to level from 1 to max. The other becomes available at max level and is a flat difficulty repetition of the previous content, starting fully unlocked. It's not far from what Diablo 3 is doing now, but with the fundamental difference that there is only one difficulty, which means all classes and all specs are balanced around the same thing, rather than a race towards marginal gains for the sake of exponential scaling. For me, stuff like the Torment/Inferno levels in Diablo 3 is lazy design and it does a lot to ruin the feeling of progression within a character. If your character gets stronger, you up the difficulty to Torment N+1, and your character feels weaker a gain, but the little number in the top right corner goes up by 1. I much prefer a static difficulty, so decked out, well built characters FEEL strong compared to the content. It can be a bit trickier to balance, but I much prefer an absolute point of balance rather than a relative one. The 3 difficulty system is a least closer to that than the current N+1 Diablo system, where Rift numbers keep going up forever.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Mash posted:

The thing that the 3 difficulty system does better than alternative models like Diablo 3's is that it contains some combination of progression and variety in the endgame.

We have to accept that content is not limitless and only a certain amount can be created per game. The trick is to make that content work for both levelling and the endgame.

For me, the ideal solution is a mix of the different systems: A two-difficulty system. One scales with level and is used to level from 1 to max. The other becomes available at max level and is a flat difficulty repetition of the previous content, starting fully unlocked. It's not far from what Diablo 3 is doing now, but with the fundamental difference that there is only one difficulty, which means all classes and all specs are balanced around the same thing, rather than a race towards marginal gains for the sake of exponential scaling. For me, stuff like the Torment/Inferno levels in Diablo 3 is lazy design and it does a lot to ruin the feeling of progression within a character. If your character gets stronger, you up the difficulty to Torment N+1, and your character feels weaker a gain, but the little number in the top right corner goes up by 1. I much prefer a static difficulty, so decked out, well built characters FEEL strong compared to the content. It can be a bit trickier to balance, but I much prefer an absolute point of balance rather than a relative one. The 3 difficulty system is a least closer to that than the current N+1 Diablo system, where Rift numbers keep going up forever.

I like how path of exile does it. you play through the story, get to level 70. Once you beat the last boss, you gain access to "maps", which are 100ish remixed zones based on the story content, kinda like rifts in diablo, but not randomized. The beach map will always be the beach map, for example.

The maps go up in difficulty, but there's a final map with an end boss. It would be like if diablo had an end boss at grift 80 and that's the highest it went.

Once you kill the maps boss, you can either farm for a new character or just start that new character.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So when can I be a skellymancer?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
There's a devotion for that :v:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
are you always supposed to be like a level behind the zones you're in on normal

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Enemies do scale to your level in this game, but up to a cap that's different depending on the spawn area of the monster.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

I like how path of exile does it. you play through the story, get to level 70. Once you beat the last boss, you gain access to "maps", which are 100ish remixed zones based on the story content, kinda like rifts in diablo, but not randomized. The beach map will always be the beach map, for example.

The maps go up in difficulty, but there's a final map with an end boss. It would be like if diablo had an end boss at grift 80 and that's the highest it went.

Once you kill the maps boss, you can either farm for a new character or just start that new character.

You can also bump of a handful of low level maps to be higher level, so if there is a map you really like running but its only level 70, there is an item you can use to bump it up to level 75. I would love if Grim Dawn was just a single difficulty for leveling and then bumped all the enemies up to the same level once you were max level.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

myDad posted:

There's a devotion for that :v:

It still kinda sucks though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

It still kinda sucks though.

Is it "ok" on a dedicated pokémaster?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had it on a Primal Strike character and I wouldn't say it actually added much mechanically, but it did, crucially, make her even more of a walking heavy metal video.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

docbeard posted:

I had it on a Primal Strike character and I wouldn't say it actually added much mechanically, but it did, crucially, make her even more of a walking heavy metal video.

I'm sold.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is there a good resource for current builds? A lot of the ones I had saved for later investigation have been outmoded by skill changes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prism posted:

Is there a good resource for current builds? A lot of the ones I had saved for later investigation have been outmoded by skill changes.

Just pick stuff that looks and sounds cool and play it and wait a few months. Then check the Crate forums and discover that every choice you made was Objectively WrongTM according to people who suck at math and hate fun.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pvt.Scott posted:

Just pick stuff that looks and sounds cool and play it and wait a few months. Then check the Crate forums and discover that every choice you made was Objectively WrongTM according to people who suck at math and hate fun.

I do that, but I get decision paralysis at the devotions screen and would appreciate some guidance. I rarely follow a guide 100% but it helps a lot to have one, if only for drawing my attention to important stuff I might have missed.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 9, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prism posted:

I do that, but I get decision paralysis at the devotions screen and would appreciate some guidance. I rarely follow a guide 100% but it helps a lot to have one, if only for drawing my attention to important stuff I might have missed.

I have the same problem and I really wish I had an actual answer for you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was a pretty good breakdown of How To Devotion somewhere in the last few pages of this thread. e. Aha, here we go:

The Mash posted:

Here's a general guideline for building a devotion tree:
1. Before reaching 40 devotion points, take whatever looks good on the way.
2. After reaching ~40 points, you can respec and move towards your endgame spec

There's 4 types of constellations:
- The really terrible ones (some are universally terrible, some are merely terrible for your build) - Example. Harvestman's Scythe, Rhowan's Scepter,
- The ones that are bad but offer a lot of points, typically at least a 1:1 ratio - Example: Lizard, Eel, Hammer, Viper (it is worse than it looks for most builds)
- The low-mid-range ones that are genuinely good - See below
- The high-end ones - Anything that doesn't give points in return. Almost all of these award more stats per point, so the objective is to unlock these.

Here's some examples of things you get for a single point in the outer ring, showing why you want to unlock these as cheaply as possible:
75 DA, 6% melee dodge, 6% ranged dodge (Hourglass)
8% Health (Tree of Life)
30% reduced stun and freeze duration, +4% armor (Obelisk)
+5% attack speed, +280 health (Unknown Soldier)
4% Physical resistance, 200 health (Oleron)
+20 offensive ability, +80% Chaos damage, +150 health (Abomination)

Go to grimcalc.com or grimtools.com to set your devotions, since you'll have to move points around to optimize before applying points ingame.

To start with, figure out which high-end constellation(s) is best for your build. You can often afford two if they share dependencies (like Hourglass/Spear or Unknown Soldier/Oleron).
Then look at what good mid-range constellations are available that is directly on the way to your high-end constellations (ie. require the same colours and offers the same colours).
Then, working backwards, take points in decent low-end constellations that offer bonuses to your damage type or, especially, to defenses. Don't take points in anything that doesn't give at least a 1:1 return unless it is in itself very good or must-have for your build. Don't take point in crossroads except to open up a path, then unlearning. Save crossroads for if you're ever 1 point short of a colour.
Build your way up until you get your high-end constellation(s). Remember that these don't award points for completion, so if there's a bad point off to one side of it, you can skip it
Then take one-point wonders or low-cost gems to fill out. Consider yellow and red crossroads for 1-pointers as they are the best.

Here's some good early constellations:
Blue: Sailor's Compass, Eel (if Nightblade, otherwise bad)
Green: Hawk
Red: Jackal
Yellow: Crane, Panther (if you also need blue)
Purple: Empty Throne

Here's some very strong midgame constellations for specific situations:
Manticore - most of it is garbage but the skill is incredibly strong for every build in the game, take it if you have the colours for it and can make it fit
Kraken - MUST HAVE if you're running a 2h weapon. The physical damage/attack speed components are potentially skippable for some 2h builds but either way, the constellation is very strong
Blades of Nadaan - MUST HAVE if you're doing a pierce-based Blademaster for the Armor Piercing bonus.
Giant's Blood - Some wasted points in the constellation but the skill is good
Targo the Builder - 4 point "spine" is exceptional for health for any build, the rest of Targos is good if you plan on running high armor.
Falcon - Has been nerfed a thousand times so it's not must-have anymore, but if you're running purple/green it's still worthwhile, and the skill is the best looking Devotion skill in the game

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

docbeard posted:

There was a pretty good breakdown of How To Devotion somewhere in the last few pages of this thread.

Sweet. Will dive back.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Prism posted:

There's usually a thread for every possible build from what I've seen, so just google your class + primary skill and you'll find at least some builds. Then just check what kind of tier 2 and 3 devotions they're going for. There's a shitload of devotions but that number becomes far more managable if the process is just "I need 5 more points in Primordial to get this one that is really useful so I'll just put one point into it at the crossroads and then see which of the devotions unlocked by that would be the best to get those points".

Pretty much the guide that was just posted but looking at builds people have been doing to find out what devotions fit your build.

Also, can't you even just get the unlock requirements for a t3 devotion, fill it up, and then respec the points you put into mid tier devotions?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

There's usually a thread for every possible build from what I've seen, so just google your class + primary skill and you'll find at least some builds. Then just check what kind of tier 2 and 3 devotions they're going for. There's a shitload of devotions but that number becomes far more managable if the process is just "I need 5 more points in Primordial to get this one that is really useful so I'll just put one point into it at the crossroads and then see which of the devotions unlocked by that would be the best to get those points".

Pretty much the guide that was just posted but looking at builds people have been doing to find out what devotions fit your build.

Also, can't you even just get the unlock requirements for a t3 devotion, fill it up, and then respec the points you put into mid tier devotions?

You have to retain enough points for a devotion to still be unlocked. So, if you have 6 Primordial and all you want filled out is a devotion that needs 3 Primordial to be open and it provides enough Primordial on its own to meet that minimum, you're groovy. Use the crossroads, get your first devotion filled out and then use that crossroads point elsewhere.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've exhausted the current Diablo 3 season and I'm casting about for another lootgrind and curious about this one. Does Grim Dawn have some kind of endgame escalating activity like D3 has rifts and the season journey and PoE has their randomised maps?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I realize this is probably a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer online. If a hardcore character dies in one of the Skeleton Key-locked superdungeons, are they still permadead? I never beat the Steps of Torment with a normal character so there's no way I'm taking a hardcore one down there if they only get one shot at it.

I love ARPGs but I've always kind of sucked at them because I never thought real hard about gearing and just stacked as much damage as I could until some difficulty past normal beat the poo poo out of me. Grim Dawn is my favorite of the lot and I've decided I want to get good at it, and making a hardcore character has been super helpful in teaching me how to gear. Even erring hugely on the side of caution with defenses and resistances I can still put out more than enough damage to get by, so finding that right balance between offense and defense has become way more interesting than it ever was with a normal character.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is it "ok" on a dedicated pokmaster?

Skellies scale with you, not pet bonuses, so no pokemon needed. Works great on vitality AAR warlock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pierson posted:

I've exhausted the current Diablo 3 season and I'm casting about for another lootgrind and curious about this one. Does Grim Dawn have some kind of endgame escalating activity like D3 has rifts and the season journey and PoE has their randomised maps?

Not really

e: I have not played the crucible so maybe that fits the bill, someone who owns it will need to comment on that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Crucible doesn't help for that, it's kind of fun sometimes but it has a set number of waves that are exactly the same each time, there are only a handful of builds that can make it to the end and it doesn't scale infinitely.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I realize this is probably a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer online. If a hardcore character dies in one of the Skeleton Key-locked superdungeons, are they still permadead? I never beat the Steps of Torment with a normal character so there's no way I'm taking a hardcore one down there if they only get one shot at it.

I love ARPGs but I've always kind of sucked at them because I never thought real hard about gearing and just stacked as much damage as I could until some difficulty past normal beat the poo poo out of me. Grim Dawn is my favorite of the lot and I've decided I want to get good at it, and making a hardcore character has been super helpful in teaching me how to gear. Even erring hugely on the side of caution with defenses and resistances I can still put out more than enough damage to get by, so finding that right balance between offense and defense has become way more interesting than it ever was with a normal character.

I don't play hardcore characters but yeah, I'm pretty sure if you die, you're dead, no exceptions, even in the roguelikes.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Pierson posted:

Grim Dawn is Diablo 2 and/or Titan Quest brought up to 2017-ish, but you can sort of only play MP with friends. You must enjoy character-building and theorycrafting to really enjoy the game, imo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Crucible doesn't help for that, it's kind of fun sometimes but it has a set number of waves that are exactly the same each time, there are only a handful of builds that can make it to the end and it doesn't scale infinitely.
The waves are not exactly the same each time. Certain waves have some guidelines, like 150 is always 3 nemeses and every 10th wave has at least one boss, but there are no waves that are like "this wave has Karroz guaranteed every time" or whatever.

Does anyone have a decent build for sword n' board type character that is a little more interesting than "hold left click, wait for WPS to pop"? Also, how does one differentiate between a default attack replacer and not? Because the only skill I can find that actually says "this is a default attack replacer" is cadence, which is terribly boring as a skill.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

The waves are not exactly the same each time. Certain waves have some guidelines, like 150 is always 3 nemeses and every 10th wave has at least one boss, but there are no waves that are like "this wave has Karroz guaranteed every time" or whatever.

Does anyone have a decent build for sword n' board type character that is a little more interesting than "hold left click, wait for WPS to pop"? Also, how does one differentiate between a default attack replacer and not? Because the only skill I can find that actually says "this is a default attack replacer" is cadence, which is terribly boring as a skill.

I haven't played this game enough to know the names of uniques, but the non-unique spawns in each wave are definitely identical each time.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Yawgmoth posted:

Also, how does one differentiate between a default attack replacer and not? Because the only skill I can find that actually says "this is a default attack replacer" is cadence, which is terribly boring as a skill.

If you can bind it to LMB, I think it's a default attack replacer?

E: For example, Flash Freeze isn't, but MagicReplicating Missile and Tempest are.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't played this game enough to know the names of uniques, but the non-unique spawns in each wave are definitely identical each time.

There's at least 2 different enemy sets for some waves. For example, wave 1 is not always the same enemy types. Specific enemies and special/veteran/whatever mobs will start showing up more frequently in groups of like type. It's weird. Some of the stuff is set, some of it scales and some of it picks from a pool of choices.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 10, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tanith posted:

If you can bind it to LMB, I think it's a default attack replacer?

E: For example, Flash Freeze isn't, but MagicReplicating Missile and Tempest are.

Nah, I have Blade Arc bound to LMB on my Witchblade but it won't proc Markovian's or Zolhan's because it's not a default attack.

The only skills that count as defaults are the ones that still use the default attack animations, and I think that's just Cadence for Soldier, Fire Strike for Demo, and Savagery for Shaman.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

The only skills that count as defaults are the ones that still use the default attack animations, and I think that's just Cadence for Soldier, Fire Strike for Demo, and Savagery for Shaman.

I think the ones you get from the Shard of Beronath and the Mistborn Talisman count as default replacers too. Otherwise, yeah, nothing else does.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

docbeard posted:

I think the ones you get from the Shard of Beronath and the Mistborn Talisman count as default replacers too. Otherwise, yeah, nothing else does.

Basic attack replacers all expressly say what they are, far as I know.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52940

^^this is one of my favorite builds I've played. It's a blademaster (soldier/nightblade) that is tanky as hell but actually plays like a hyper-mobile melee caster focusing on big area frostburn DOTs instead of stand in one place/hold attack. Currently taking him through ultimate and kicking rear end.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mover posted:

^^this is one of my favorite builds I've played. It's a blademaster (soldier/nightblade) that is tanky as hell but actually plays like a hyper-mobile melee caster focusing on big area frostburn DOTs instead of stand in one place/hold attack. Currently taking him through ultimate and kicking rear end.

That looks pretty neat. Gonna try this one out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mover posted:

That looks pretty awesome, think you could post a grimcalc (or whatever) of the point spread without bonuses from gear? Also, how does the actual play work out?I'm too used to playing casters to be able to fully grasp what's going on with the build/skills here.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Pierson posted:

I was in the same boat as you. From what I've gathered there isn't much to end game right now. I started playing this a little over a week ago and haven't made it past normal yet because trying out different class combinations has been so fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm lv33 on that frostburn blademaster and it is drat fun. Being able to blitz/shadow strike around makes the game go so much faster, since you can just charge in, drop a ring of steel, then charge to another group and watch whirlpool/elemental storm/blizzard wreck everything within eyeshot is amazing. Pretty much the only thing to ever worry about are bosses; nothing else can even get close enough to hit you unless you charge it, and anything you charge is probably going to turn into red confetti on impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Game is 50% off in the Humble Spring Sale right now ($12.50). You can pick up the Crucible DLC for $3 as well.