Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JackMann posted:

There's basically no chance Pinnacle would've entered into it if there'd been a chance of him loving up. My suspicion is that Siembada badly needed the cash, so they were able to pressure him into "approving" everything.

I'm sure the contract he signed for the deal was set up ironclad to prevent any shenanigans from him, like spelling out he didn't have the rights to do anything except sign off or not sign off on their finished product. Hell, they might have even somehow got it worded so that signing the contract counted as approval for anything they did with his IP. Normally I'd be against shady stuff like that, but it's Kevin, and if anybody deserves to have his IP taken away from him, it's Kevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NTRabbit posted:

Can't remember if someone put it here or just the terrain thread, but Mantic has a KS up making affordable plastic scatter terrain and furniture for dungeon crawlers, RPGs, and wargames, through quite a few stretch goals already

That battlefield crate looks like it might actually pretty decent for wargame terrain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah, the walls, fences, and hedges in particular look good for both fantasy and historicals at 28mm, and I plan to combine some of the other bits with Germ's Area Terrain as well

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those of you who like combine-y robots, AEGIS has relaunched with better pricing and a lower goal. I've had the chance to play this at conventions and I really enjoyed it,so I'm hoping it funds this time around.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24259463/aegis-super-combining-robot-tactics

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I'm sure the contract he signed for the deal was set up ironclad to prevent any shenanigans from him, like spelling out he didn't have the rights to do anything except sign off or not sign off on their finished product. Hell, they might have even somehow got it worded so that signing the contract counted as approval for anything they did with his IP. Normally I'd be against shady stuff like that, but it's Kevin, and if anybody deserves to have his IP taken away from him, it's Kevin.

And even then I've heard (not reliably) that there were some weird restrictions Siembieda put on them like not letting them use material from Dimension Books. Not that most of that stuff would be what you'd want for a short-ish run of books, although I'm morbidly curious how they'd attempt to translate the Cosmo-Knight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Rifts miniatures boardgame Kickstarter. Surely nothing can go wrong right?

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index...ates&Itemid=183

Oh, man, someone is going to have to remind me what's actually happening with "optioned by Walt Disney". Nothing right? Because that could be a hilarious film.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, man, someone is going to have to remind me what's actually happening with "optioned by Walt Disney". Nothing right? Because that could be a hilarious film.

Nothing. There's a script treatment out there- Palladium sells it. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nothing. There's a script treatment out there- Palladium sells it. :v:

Looks like rppr did a reading of it, so I should watch that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/615312068/deadly-premonition-the-board-game

The Deadly Premonition KS is live.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

DalaranJ posted:

IIRC it was Jerry Bruckheimer (you know, the guy behind the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Beverly Hills Cop, and of course Kangaroo Jack), and it's generally a thing that when someone options a property, they hand the rights holder a 5-figure sum and then probably do nothing at all. Granted, given how rarely an RPG even gets optioned I'd be pretty drat excited too, but Siembieda seemingly didn't think to mention that to his fans with realistic expectations.

I have no idea about this, but so I'm not just helping derail, there's a KS for a board game with cute bears mining called Ursa Miner:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875412263/ursa-miner-bears-mining-honey?ref=thanks_share

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you can't repeatedly and systematically destroy a fleet of cop cars in this board game then I'm not interested

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Looks pretty bad. Player elimination, munchkinlike take-that cardplay, and no evident mechanism for identifying the killer except taking a swing and hoping for the best. No idea how the game will work without exactly four.

Also no real-time pot management. 0/10.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It got funded.

It might be worth it to back just for a 3 dollar Steam key for the Director's Cut.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just watch supergreatfriend's LP

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

It got funded.

It might be worth it to back just for a 3 dollar Steam key for the Director's Cut.

Yeah, I'll put a reminder on it in case they shove it in a Humble Bundle in the meantime or somesuch. Granted, the PC port is terribly buggy and broken, so buyer beware- it has memory leaks that cause it to slow and eventually crash if played too long, amongst myriad other issues. There are fan patches but they're a band-aid on a gunshot wound, as far as I can tell. It's better to get the updated PS3 version if you have a PS3, though it's usually a fair deal more at around $15-20.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Leperflesh posted:

Seconding this. Rarely have I watched an LP where the peron presenting it did with such enthusiasm and simply "joy" for the game, all the while taking potshots at its failings.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'd recommend buying it to support the madness and then not actually playing it and watching supergreatfriend's LP instead.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Man, why would you do a Deadly Premonition Board game that doesn't have "Horror Movie Trivial Pursuit" as a gameplay mode.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Twin PeaksTall Pines is a murder mystery card game where you have to solve the murder of a high school girl.

Totally not a rip-off guys.

Jesus

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

make a TV series based on the deadly premonition board game and the circle will be complete

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The final hours of Brass are here and I still can't decide if I should back one or both versions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ropes4u posted:

The final hours of Brass are here and I still can't decide if I should back one or both versions.

Back both, try one, if you don't like it sell the other NIS for retail price and still make a profit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I remembered that I miss one card from my copy of Brass (it doesn't actually make it unplayable, but it does mean my copy has a consistent bias game to game), so I backed both. I am weak.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
D.W.A.R.Vs funded and looks reasonably cool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One for the history buffs:

I need to check out the rules, but this looks like a very pretty package. And who doesn't love obscure historical battles ?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2038926808/heroes-of-the-great-war-limanowa-1914-0/description

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The comments for the Rifts boardgame are a goldmine. Did you know that it's unethical for them to say who their manufacturer is?

The best, though, is this bit:

quote:

@steve a you've only bid $1. If you choose to support our kickstarter I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JackMann posted:

The comments for the Rifts boardgame are a goldmine. Did you know that it's unethical for them to say who their manufacturer is?

Somebody has been taking kickstarter lessons from GMS, I see

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

JackMann posted:

I love when game developers don't understand what the word 'ethical' means.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JackMann posted:

I love this bit:

quote:

I would like to apologize to you and others that felt like my behavior was inappropriate. We are a small company and trying to keep things focused on creating a successful game and kickstarter. We appreciate your support and hope you will check back in for updates.

"I'm sorry people felt my behavior was inappropriate" is an amazing non-apology, because it clearly means he still doesn't get that what he did was inappropriate.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love this bit:

"I'm sorry people felt my behavior was inappropriate" is an amazing non-apology, because it clearly means he still doesn't get that what he did was inappropriate.

Who needs those "real apology"-wanting suckers? He's got this stellar guy in his corner:

quote:

OMG, I read this stuff and I would think half of you are on the rag.
Anyone complaining here shouldn't be on Kickstarter.
If you've been burned once on KS you'll be burned again.
You call yourselves gamblers?
You aren't?
THEN WHY YOU ON KICKSTARTER?
But ya just keep coming back for more, dontcha?
Most of you will just sell the extras online and are in it for all the wrong reasons anyways.
I dont know the profanity policy here but alot of you are basically acting like female genitalia over a measly $28 add on hahagahaha.

EDIT: Good leaping fucks, 1300+ comments already.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Palladium is a mystery to me.

Like, I'm familiar with a lot of niche products with troubled histories put out by auteur designers, which people argue about vociferously for years. I've argued about many of them. But usually those products have things like flawed but unique vision, or the creator possesses some form of special charisma, or a once-proud history upon which their castle is built, that even people who don't like them could point to as the reason for their cult popularity.

I have no idea why people like Rifts. I don't know of anybody who likes it. Everything I have ever heard about it is either people complaining about it, or people with a post count of three appearing to explain why they're wrong. Everything I've ever heard about Kevin Simbieda suggests that he is a pain in the neck to deal with.

But apparently they have a large and loyal base of fans in spite of a history of mess-ups that make more recent debacles like Exalted or Far West or, really, anything else look kind of trivial? How does that happen?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
From following Alien Rope Burn's exhaustive review in the fatal and friends thread, I don't think there is one other than 'played it when I was 13'. It seems to be an excuse to get to play with all your action figures at once, but in a really tedious heavy on the book-keeping way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think that's exactly it. I played it when I was first getting into RPGs back in the day and I loved the concept of it and knew basically nothing of game design or what made a game good or bad. Rules were to be accepted, not questioned. As an adult, I still like the concept of the world gone mad, but there's not really any reason for me to play it when there are so many better options.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looking at the comments section, the wisdom of having somebody who's gone through a tremendous emotional trauma jump right into the same thing that may have caused it might be a flawed plan.

Rand Brittain posted:

I have no idea why people like Rifts. I don't know of anybody who likes it. Everything I have ever heard about it is either people complaining about it, or people with a post count of three appearing to explain why they're wrong. Everything I've ever heard about Kevin Simbieda suggests that he is a pain in the neck to deal with.

But apparently they have a large and loyal base of fans in spite of a history of mess-ups that make more recent debacles like Exalted or Far West or, really, anything else look kind of trivial? How does that happen?

It was one of those things that hit at just the right time, right before White Wolf really started to tilt the industry towards more modernized rules, so the clunkiness of the mechanics was still a very normal thing. It also had a surprisingly coherent art direction early on (when most games outside of TSR still looked awfully ugly) and gave people a freedom of character choice that may seem quaint now, but really was somewhat groundbreaking around the same time most games would tut-tut at you for wanting to play a dragon or vampire or whatever.

It also was able to ride the success of relatively kid-oriented games (subject material, not rules) like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Robotech but be for aduuults, wink wink, and grab fans going right into their teenage years. The cheap paperbacks were obviously aimed at an audience with lighter wallets compared to TSR box sets and hardbacks, and when stuff gets its hooks in you at that age, it can really stick.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Palladium is a mystery to me.

Like, I'm familiar with a lot of niche products with troubled histories put out by auteur designers, which people argue about vociferously for years. I've argued about many of them. But usually those products have things like flawed but unique vision, or the creator possesses some form of special charisma, or a once-proud history upon which their castle is built, that even people who don't like them could point to as the reason for their cult popularity.

I feel like these two are it.

When it comes to "charisma", Simbieda certainly has an exuberance that can capture other's enthusiasm. It only looks a lot more like delusion or huckstery when he's surrounded by the wreckage of a decade of failure. That's the other thing, though. Before the 21st century, Palladium was a pretty successful looking company. It got weird, moderately popular licenses, and no matter how many forevers some books took to came out, it churned out a lot of products.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I wonder if having a partner betray him as badly as he got betrayed drove him over the edge when it came to paranoia and "protecting" his products. Was he always impossible to deal with or did he get worse after Palladium was robbed blind?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wonder if having a partner betray him as badly as he got betrayed drove him over the edge when it came to paranoia and "protecting" his products. Was he always impossible to deal with or did he get worse after Palladium was robbed blind?

If some former employee stories are any indication, he's always had weird control issues.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

That Old Tree posted:

If some former employee stories are any indication, he's always had weird control issues.

Which might explain why no one felt bad stealing from him.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which might explain why no one felt bad stealing from him.

:shrug:

He's also one of those "but he's super nice in person" kind of guys. Which is no excuse, but he can clearly be a human being toward people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
He sounds like an old colleague of mine. Charming and persuasive when he needs to be, but an absolute nightmare to work with because of his gross incompetence he hides behind a smile and a wink.