Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That's what my house would be if I didn't frequently remind myself that a post-war bungalow was not meant to hold the trappings of Versailles.

I want that full wall curtain will all my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

there wolf posted:

That's what my house would be if I didn't frequently remind myself that a post-war bungalow was not meant to hold the trappings of Versailles.

I want that full wall curtain will all my heart.

I love the way the headboard blends into the wallpaper.

And that TV. And the phone. And the radio.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ElCondemn posted:

It's not my cup of tea but I like that they went all out with it.

Exactly. I'm not entirely sure what they were going for, but they achieved it consistently. I think the person responsible for it was happy with what they did.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

High Lord Elbow posted:

That's so goddamned ugly it almost comes out the other side as a beautiful disaster.

Yeah except for the kitchen it actually all kind of works. The hanging vintage TV in the green room just loving sells it, that's hilarious.

I mean I'd never live there but I'd definitely party there.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Isn't that where Zach Braff lived in Garden State?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nice cheetah den.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ElCondemn posted:

It's not my cup of tea but I like that they went all out with it.

Yeah, someone really loved "Better Homes and Gardens" circa 1971.
Examples for comparison:
http://lileks.com/institute/interiors/index.html

edit: note that the title of that section of Lileks is "Interior Desecrations."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Darchangel posted:

Examples for comparison:

AAAHHHH THE CREEPY SUN FROM CBS SUNDAY MORNING IT'S REAL AND GOING TO EAT ME

QUICKLY, TO THE CRAFT ARMORY

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Examples for comparison:

I'd peg it a few years earlier what with all the Rococo revival stuff; it think that was out by the seventies everywhere but a grandma's formal sitting room where it would remain frozen in time for decades because no one was allowed to actually sit there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suspect Bucket posted:

That is an odd choice for the wall of one's sewing room.

there wolf posted:

I'd peg it a few years earlier what with all the Rococo revival stuff; it think that was out by the seventies everywhere but a grandma's formal sitting room where it would remain frozen in time for decades because no one was allowed to actually sit there.

Fair enough, I was thinking late '60s, early '70s.

edit: Lileks.com is an awesome resource for how bad that era was. The recipe books/cards are truly frightening. So much aspic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thought so. The hood itself has terrible airflow though, I may see if a good replacement comes with leds mounted so they don't get the steam directly.

Once I get a house, I'm 100% going to an external-vented commercial-style hood. Something that moves some serious CFM and that I can pull down the grates and run them through the dishwasher.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

(Un)fortunately, it'd be a freak occurrence if that happened, these days. It's not out of the question, but I feel like I should be able to make it strong enough to withstand even a moderate snow load.

Never assume. We seem to be cycling between absurd blizzards and dry winters every decade or so. Is that carport on the north or west side of your barn? My biggest concern for loading would be a deep, wet snow on top of the carport getting suddenly increased when the stuff on the barn roof starts to melt off and all slides at once, like normal for February.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This is the new standard in hoods here (Panasonic). The whole panel pops off for a degreasing and the fan is stupid powerful. I appreciate the magnetic material and flat surface for minor storage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darchangel posted:

I always felt like sewing machines and guns had a lot in common. Finely tooled mechanical parts, heavy steel, and your grandma is better at using one than you are.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Somewhere, Mario is hiding holding a giant key over his head

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

peanut posted:

This is the new standard in hoods here (Panasonic). The whole panel pops off for a degreasing and the fan is stupid powerful. I appreciate the magnetic material and flat surface for minor storage.

Panasonic makes loving awesome fans.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Darchangel posted:

You take that back or my mum will stitch you full of holes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Lileks turned into a right wing nutbar after 9/11, but his website and books are comedy gold. The whole feature on the Gobbler is a proclick for me once a year or so.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Has that place been sealed in tupperware since 1975 or something? It looks immaculate (on my phone anway). Insane, but immaculate.

It must have been. That's the only reasonable explanation for the teal bedroom. TVs like that don't even turn up in yardsales anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Once I get a house, I'm 100% going to an external-vented commercial-style hood. Something that moves some serious CFM and that I can pull down the grates and run them through the dishwasher.

The house we bought has a hood vent with a remotely-located multi-speed fan. It stopped working not long after we moved in. We finally found the fan (in one of the two semi-hidden "rooms" in the house) and my father took one look at the wiring and said, "This is not how this should be done." The guy who wired it appears to have used a single-speed motor wired in a non-conventional manner to create a multi-speed fan, and likely put too much current through it, leading to its ultimate demise. Given the pre-fab look of the box, I suspect it was all hacked together with no easy way to just buy a replacement and hook it in without more work. Good times.

When our basement/first-floor A/C unit died and we replaced it, the home inspector was actually the guy who did the inspections during its original remodeling in about 2002-3 (two owners ago). He remembered the house, commented on how solid it is (1925 stone construction), and then said, "Yeah, that guy who did it, the contractor who had bought the place to renovate it? He had, whaddyacallit, that thing where you fall asleep? Narcolepsy? I'd show up and he'd be passed out, project half done or whatever. First time it scared the poo poo out of me, I thought he'd just collapsed and died."

It explains so much.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Suspect Bucket posted:

This post made me laugh more than I have in quite a while. Thank you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"What's in there?"

"Oh, that's the clown room."

There's some nightmare fuel in the other rooms, too.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18124984/222-CHATHAM-Street-Brantford-Ontario-N3S4H1?utm_source=RealtorWeb

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Did the Brady Bunch run a Victorian brothel, or did the home owners find possibly the worst home stager on the planet, who also happened time traveller?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Avon-Rd_Springfield_NJ_07081_M63946-56229#photo0

It's really a great tour, even if you're not into Elvis. https://www.graceland.com/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I like to think that the guns are there in case the sewing really gets out of hand.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spog posted:

I like to think that the guns are there in case the sewing really gets out of hand.

Pfft. There's not nearly enough fabric and sewing machines in that photo for the sewing to even approach danger levels.

Behold, my mother's Quilting Abyss.

(quilting assistant hound for scale)

Indolent Bastard posted:

This post made me laugh more than I have in quite a while. Thank you.

Hey man, I'm not kidding, that sun scared me as a kid.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

"What's in there?"

"Oh, that's the clown room."

There's some nightmare fuel in the other rooms, too.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18124984/222-CHATHAM-Street-Brantford-Ontario-N3S4H1?utm_source=RealtorWeb

Holy poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo.

And it goes on like that.

"Can't eat, clown will eat me."

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Suspect Bucket posted:

I think it was that image combined with the ear-splitting trumpet that accompanied the end credits.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

And it goes on like that.

"Can't eat, clown will eat me."

There wasn't a single interior picture without clowns. I'm impressed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pfft. There's not nearly enough fabric and sewing machines in that photo for the sewing to even approach danger levels.

Behold, my mother's Quilting Abyss.

(quilting assistant hound for scale)

I am disappointed that there are no machine guns in your photos.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therobit posted:

I am disappointed that there are no machine guns in your photos.

The quilts can handle themselves in a fight to be honest. You just throw one of my mom's quilts into a fight and everyone's compelled to stop and snuggle in them because they're just so darn pretty and she backs them with ultra-soft fleece that's a perfect summer weight for those nippy florida winter days or for when the AC's blowing too cold and you've just come in with a sunburn.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dillbag posted:

Did the Brady Bunch run a Victorian brothel, or did the home owners find possibly the worst home stager on the planet, who also happened time traveller?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Avon-Rd_Springfield_NJ_07081_M63946-56229#photo0

I'd live the gently caress in that house.

The bitches would be beating down my door trying to get me to be their pimp.
I even saw a powder blue 2 door 1970-something Lincoln for sale yesterday that would be perfect in the driveway.
Hopefully there is a pimp cane and pimp chalice somewhere in that place.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Note that you have to actually plan for make-up air (incoming air to replace what you're sucking out) when using something like this, or you get such a high pressure differential that you start sucking air in through all the other exhaust vents in the house. This can be very bad when you're trying to vent the exhaust from a furnace or something, as well as costing a lot to replace the climate controlled air you blew away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alereon posted:

Note that you have to actually plan for make-up air (incoming air to replace what you're sucking out) when using something like this, or you get such a high pressure differential that you start sucking air in through all the other exhaust vents in the house. This can be very bad when you're trying to vent the exhaust from a furnace or something, as well as costing a lot to replace the climate controlled air you blew away.

Proper commercial hoods have makeup air in the front (furthest from the stove). Really nice ones have heated makeup air so you don't freeze to death in the back while being roasted from the front in the wintertime.

This avoids the whole "sucking the kitchen doors open" problem as well as causing turbulence throughout the kitchen.

I've seen kitchens that had such large hoods that they would stop the fireplaces from drafting if you turned off the makeup air fans.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 9, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is how I live.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I think this goes beyond Fix it Fast, but the shed post reminded me of my own thing so I'm gonna post here instead in hopes of avoiding having to post here again later.

I want to add a roof over the side slab on my pole barn. Here's what I'm working with:

My current plan is to put a few posts along the edge of the slab there, run a header across them, and then attach trusses to the side of the barn and sitting on the header, in order to act as a horizontal tie and a sloped structure for the roof. Not a steep slope, just enough to shed water. I'm not worried about getting very much snow load. It could happen, but a slick metal roof should shed relatively well even with a minimal grade.

The guy that laid the slab said that side slab would probably move up and down, so my posts shouldn't sit on the slab itself, since that'd make the thing want to tear itself apart. So I'm going to get an auger and bore down about four feet in the dirt right next to the slab, put a foot of gravel in the bottom, drop a treated post in, and back fill with concrete.

That side slab is 10' wide, and the roofed portion will be 26' long. I expect the roof to meet the barn right under the soffit there, while leaving the vents exposed, so not a smooth continuation of the existing roof, there'll be a step. I intend to run a gutter along the edge of the new roofline so as to not wash away my dirt there.

Anyhow, am I more or less on target here? Any glaring issues? Also, how best to attach the truss to the side of the barn? There are 6x6 posts inside every 8', but I'm looking for specifics. Also, I don't think I need to actually seal up the seam of the new roof to be watertight where it meets the wall, since it'll be right under the soffit anyhow and this isn't going to be considered an "inside" space, but it'd be nice if I could more or less seal it up, which I'm not sure how to approach on account of the corrugated metal siding. Any ideas there? Just globbing the seam full of caulk seems pretty dumb as those corrugations are like an inch deep, but it's about all I've come up with so far.

I'd not bother to tie any roof into the garage. Just cantilever your roof off the posts you build off the slab. Just google "cantilevered carport roof" and you'll see a ton of examples.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wesleywillis posted:

I'd live the gently caress in that house.

The bitches would be beating down my door trying to get me to be their pimp.
I even saw a powder blue 2 door 1970-something Lincoln for sale yesterday that would be perfect in the driveway.
Hopefully there is a pimp cane and pimp chalice somewhere in that place.

This pimped 2 door powder blue lincoln?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpyQwy6uuK4&t=58s

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

Do you think my house looks like funny? Funny how? Is it funny like a clown? Does it amuse you? How the gently caress is it funny?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are those rectangles over the windows on the right? They aren't curtains, the curtains are white. There are also blinds. And then . . . rectangles. I suppose they could be sheers, but sheers usually go under the curtains, not over them, and the window on the left doesn't have them.

I feel like these are photos from an alternate reality where Trump failed to become a billionaire and instead owned a moderately successful used car dealership in New Jersey. He kept the same sense of style, but couldn't afford to gold plate everything.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dillbag posted:

it's like they bought the decor from Skymall catalog or something, or maybe they hired a designer via AliExpress, it's just mind-bendingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Neutrino posted:

Do you think my house looks like funny? Funny how? Is it funny like a clown? Does it amuse you? How the gently caress is it funny?