Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

CaveGrinch posted:

After Trek, I think it can be reasoned that three of the five Captains have had both acclaimed and lucrative careers after the fact (Shatner, Stewart and Mulgrew.) Terry Farrell had a good long run on Becker. And then you have a handful of others that do the occasional tv episodes or one off movie shots... while others, Frakes and Dawson specifically have gone into directing.

It's really like anything else - some will do stuff and others won't. Some are just happy to get collecting that sweet Con money.

Also probably worth pointing out that just because you don't hear much about someone since Star Trek doesn't mean they aren't off successfully doing exactly the career they want. That can be stage work, writing, teaching or literally anything that doesn't add to that IMDB listing.

Baronjutter posted:

I remember when Descent first came out on PC and tons of people got sick from it. Same when mouselook controls became standard and FPS games became more 3d. I think people get used to that sort of "new technology" pretty fast.
Not sure about that at all. I know people who, since Doom, just can't play most FPSs. Something specific about the way the camera moves. The problem didn't go away, and those people didn't all get better, just left out.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Doesn't Avery Brooks teach theater at a college? That sounds like something he'd be passionate about.

George Takei helped produce and acted in the Broadway play "Allegiance", which didn't run very long but did get a one -day movie theater release. It was a really powerful musical about the Japanese internment camps in America during WW2. You could tell it was something deeply personal to Takei. It's not success in the sense of tons of top acting gigs, but it sounds like exactly what he wants to be doing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zesty posted:

Still working through the Fifty Year mission. Susan Sackett is a liar or delusional. Likely both.

I just got up to Gates McFadden leaving the show and Sackett claimed Patrick Stewart wanted her gone.

It then proceeds to other people saying it had absolutely nothing to do with Patrick Stewart and of course had everything to do with Maurice Hurley being a loving creep.

Sackett is such a weird person. She was hopelessly in love with Roddenberry, sleeping with him for like twenty years, but steadfastly denying it in public. Then like a half-decade after he died, she published her memoir, half of which is "everyone screwed Gene, he's the only one who ever did anything" and the other half being "here are the various ways Gene liked to gently caress me."

There's a bit in Fifty-Year Mission in which she rips Piller to shreds because he called all the staff together to announce that Roddenberry was dead, and she's like, "It was so callous and lovely of him to do that." What the gently caress was he supposed to do, send the news via carrier pigeon?

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 9, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Doesn't Avery Brooks teach theater at a college? That sounds like something he'd be passionate about.

Yep, theater professor at Rutgers, IIRC. His absence from television and movies post-DS9 is by choice.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Timby posted:

There's a bit in Fifty-Year Mission in which she rips Piller to shreds because he called all the staff together to announce that Roddenberry was dead, and she's like, "It was so callous and lovely of him to do that." What the gently caress was he supposed to do, send the news via carrier pigeon?

Each individual must be notified via black envelope

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

After reading through both 50 Year Mission books it's pretty clear that Sackett is nuts, and yes, she was hopelessly in love with Gene.

Honestly I think Berman and Beltran were the two people I didn't expect to come away with a higher opinion of after reading the books. Although in Berman's case he clearly sexually harassed at least one person. The way he talks about women in some of those excerpts is not normal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

Each individual must be notified via black envelope

Why's it gotta be bl-

Oh. I see. I'm terribly sorry. My condolences.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

After reading through both 50 Year Mission books it's pretty clear that Sackett is nuts, and yes, she was hopelessly in love with Gene.

Honestly I think Berman and Beltran were the two people I didn't expect to come away with a higher opinion of after reading the books. Although in Berman's case he clearly sexually harassed at least one person. The way he talks about women in some of those excerpts is not normal.

Fade In really improved my impression of Berman. I think at the end he was just completely burned out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

What's the story on Beltran? My really vague recollection of him is that he got the job, saw the atrocious writing and direction, and decided he would just coast for 7 years drawing a nice paycheck and then living off of inevitable Trek residuals for the rest of his comfortable life.

And then there was that one time he told a fan to get a loving life or something and then had to do a public mea culpa.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

What's the story on Beltran? My really vague recollection of him is that he got the job, saw the atrocious writing and direction, and decided he would just coast for 7 years drawing a nice paycheck and then living off of inevitable Trek residuals for the rest of his comfortable life.

And then there was that one time he told a fan to get a loving life or something and then had to do a public mea culpa.

IIRC he repeatedly tried to get fired by asking for ridiculous new contracts that would like double his paycheck or require a romance plot with Seven

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

He started off incredibly enthusiastic about the show, but got pissed when they ditched the Maquis / Starfleet tension about ten seconds after the pilot, and then just started showing up for work, being professional (unlike Mulgrew) and going home. He didn't give a poo poo during the last two or three seasons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Heh, according to Wiki he's been really big on the Lyndon LaRouche movement these days.

Timby posted:

He started off incredibly enthusiastic about the show, but got pissed when they ditched the Maquis / Starfleet tension about ten seconds after the pilot, and then just started showing up for work, being professional (unlike Mulgrew) and going home. He didn't give a poo poo during the last two or three seasons.

The Mulgrew stuff is one of the few things I actually have no desire to learn more about (though I've heard the stories of her tension with Jennifer Lien and Jeri Ryan), because in general I really respect her acting chops and have a feeling it would color my opinion. Then again, Shatner did and continues to do really dumbawful things and I sorta respect the guy despite it, so who knows.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 9, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

The Mulgrew stuff is one of the few things I actually have no desire to learn more about (though I've heard the stories of her tension with Jennifer Lien and Jeri Ryan), because in general I really respect her acting chops and have a feeling it would color my opinion. Then again, Shatner did and continues to do really dumbawful things and I sorta respect the guy despite it, so who knows.

Mulgrew was basically out for herself, and it was more than "tension" between her and Ryan. For example, they'd do the wide shots for scenes, but when Ryan had to do her close-ups, Mulgrew would be off-camera sitting in her chair, snacking on potato chips or whatever, and casually tossing off her lines, giving Ryan absolutely nothing to play with. I get being cranky because the producer wanted to sex up the show (and getting more cranky when the sex symbol sleeping with the producer was an open secret), but, come on.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Kind of like how the robes Obi-wan Kenobi wore on Tattooine -- basically, the type of clothes someone would naturally wear if they lived on a desert planet -- became The Official Robe Of The Jedi.

Yes, we're back to Star Wars chat

Why would someone wear desert faring clothes in a loving swamp?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Timby posted:

Yeah I ended up respecting Beltran a lot more, because he's reacting just like I would want to in that situation :v:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The first appearances of the borg really are great scifi though, probably especially Q's (non)explanation for them.

Speaking of Q Who, I just watched the episode recently, and while I love it, there are some really bizarre pacing choices, for example all the conference room scenes.

There is even a "Captain's Log, supplemental" coming off a commercial break, which implies that right after the Enterprise blasts huge holes in the Borg ship, Picard ran into his ready room, recorded the log, and then came back out to discuss next steps.

Edit:
Actually I misremembered, it's even worse. Picard records the captains log while they're being chased by the Borg ship at the end...

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 9, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucswabe posted:

Edit:
Actually I misremembered, it's even worse. Picard records the captains log while they're being chased by the Borg ship at the end...

I can forgive that. Odds were good the Borg were going to kill them. You'd want a complete log to send out in the emergency transmission.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

The studio really wanted another sequel to TNG, because they wanted those sweet sweet unachievable TNG ratings, and it took a huge amount of negotiation to get a prequel. The entire temporal cold war plot existed solely to appease the studio that it's totally really a sequel and not just a prequel.

Oh.. Oh god. Prequels ruin everything. It was bad enough that it was a prequel, but the stupid temporal cold war thing was because the studio wanted another TNG? I would have rather just had the worst TNG clone, or another Voyager, than that. Even though season 4 was pretty okay.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

8one6 posted:

I can forgive that. Odds were good the Borg were going to kill them. You'd want a complete log to send out in the emergency transmission.

That's a fair point. I think it just struck me because it's the only time I can think of where they used a Captain's Log in the middle of an urgent crisis situation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

Wil Wheaton is literally the first thing you see in the new MST3K series, and I pretty much quit right there.

Give it a chance. Remember that it's supposed to a bit cheesy. Anyway, for those interested, here's Wil Wheaton's cameo, from the first few minutes of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdaXGIXLP_Y

The Bloop posted:

True, but they slowly swerved toward Space Zombies anyhow. It was just to easy/tempting to follow the trope of least resistance.

Zombie with a bit of Vampire mixed in -- "two tiny holes in the throat", and killing the head vampire kills all of them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Remember how pulling on the long, exposed cables coming out of a Borg's neck kills them, somehow? It's amazing that Borg shields allow through punches and grappling from species they've got DNA records on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Give it a chance. Remember that it's supposed to a bit cheesy. Anyway, for those interested, here's Wil Wheaton's cameo, from the first few minutes of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdaXGIXLP_Y

Zombie with a bit of Vampire mixed in -- "two tiny holes in the throat", and killing the head vampire kills all of them.

Never really considered the injection points. True.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I was watching a random episode of TNG (The Rightful Heir, the one with Kahless) and Data is giving command over to Riker after night shift and I swear to god there's a weed joke in the status report he gives:

"Sickbay reported a minor accident in the exo-biology department at 0420 hours."

I did a double take and rewound to be sure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beltran at least in the book tells it like it is. He was not happy that they abandoned what they were trying to do initially with the character. He was pretty straight forward with his answers.

Mulgrew apologizes in this book for what she did during the early Seven of Nine stuff and says that she was jealous, but that her actions were unprofessional. I have a lot of respect for her that she owned up to that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Beltran at least in the book tells it like it is. He was not happy that they abandoned what they were trying to do initially with the character. He was pretty straight forward with his answers.

Mulgrew apologizes in this book for what she did during the early Seven of Nine stuff and says that she was jealous, but that her actions were unprofessional. I have a lot of respect for her that she owned up to that.

It's pretty challenging to not wear your feelings on your sleeve when you are trapped on a set with everyone for 15 hours a day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK so I sent this to an Archer-loving cousin of mine, and now I need to explain re-editing Star Trek has been a long time thing on youtube

Of the people out there, who does this the best?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Last time I heard, Andrew Robinson is head of the theater department at UC Santa Monica or somesuch

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK so I sent this to an Archer-loving cousin of mine, and now I need to explain re-editing Star Trek has been a long time thing on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHAZwR-BdQ

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

remusclaw posted:

As a regular reader of the Everest thread whenever it pops up in GBS, I was turned onto this great documentary on Netflix called Valley Uprising. It's about three generations of rock climbers in Yosemite and the advances they made and such. The first group treating each formation essentially like mountains and doing tool assisted climbs up them, and the later getting more brazen and athletic until people were just straight up free climbing El Capitan when only a few years prior it was essentially considered impossible to do even with tools over a long period of time.

What this brings me to is Shatner as Kirk free climbing El capitan in Trek V. First of all, Jesus Christ the people who were doing that poo poo were some of the most fit people I have ever seen, and Bill Shatner in 1980whatever is not that. Second of all is just how 80's that movie was.

"Go climb a rock".

Star Trek V's opening moments latch onto the rock climbing celebrity fad of the time that I didn't even know existed.

Microbrews climbng the mountain because.. he was in love. He wanted to make love with the mountain.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bucswabe posted:

That's a fair point. I think it just struck me because it's the only time I can think of where they used a Captain's Log in the middle of an urgent crisis situation.

Given that it was prevalent enough in TOS to be included in drinking games earlier in this thread, I'm surprised we didn't see more of it.

:clint: "Make sure you put something in there after every commercial break to explain what's going on for people who just switched over from Carson or came back from the crapper!"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Nebakenezzer posted:

Only person I know who does these is Andrew Hussie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iTsLZFaYIw

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Timby posted:

Mulgrew was basically out for herself, and it was more than "tension" between her and Ryan. For example, they'd do the wide shots for scenes, but when Ryan had to do her close-ups, Mulgrew would be off-camera sitting in her chair, snacking on potato chips or whatever, and casually tossing off her lines, giving Ryan absolutely nothing to play with. I get being cranky because the producer wanted to sex up the show (and getting more cranky when the sex symbol sleeping with the producer was an open secret), but, come on.

I had no idea this was going on. I want to know more, where can I go to read more about this?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Conspiracy, the first-season TNG episode where the not-Borg are introduced and later exploded to death by phaser fire: barely a minute in, Riker asks Geordi to increase the ship's speed to Warp 8. He receives "aye, full impulse" in response.

...I'm not sure that's correct??

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

spincube posted:

Conspiracy, the first-season TNG episode where the not-Borg are introduced and later exploded to death by phaser fire: barely a minute in, Riker asks Geordi to increase the ship's speed to Warp 8. He receives "aye, full impulse" in response.

To be fair, though, this was BEFORE Geordi had fallen in love with the ship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Xibanya posted:

I had no idea this was going on. I want to know more, where can I go to read more about this?
2nd volume of The 50 Year Mission goes into detail about it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My first exposure to online trek fandom was a three page rant about how Kate Mulgrew was ruining Voyager because she was a "Catholic whore"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

My first exposure to online trek fandom was a three page rant about how Kate Mulgrew was ruining Voyager because she was a "Catholic whore"

Proven true via holodeck

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gonz posted:

To be fair, though, this was BEFORE Geordi had fallen in love with the ship.

When you put your ding dong in the plasma inverter, you're putting your ding dong in me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

When you put your ding dong in the plasma inverter, you're putting your ding dong in me.

Computer, create a ding dong capable of impregnating Data.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

someone on Beckett's team realizes he's actually their father (thanks to time travel shenanigans)

I'm pretty sure this actually happened during the course of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

spincube posted:

A wizard did it Q did it.