Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

are the horses a consolation prize? I don't understand the connection...

She owns olympic dressage horses that are her "therapy animals". It was one of many examples how out of touch they were with tegular non robot humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

It's not like that. My final texts to him were still begging him to be kinder and realize his potential and that I miss him very much.

exactly, how dare you put that kind of pressure on him

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My husband [32M] frequently jokes about my family. His attitude is rubbing off on our son [5M] and I [29F] want it to stop.

Owned

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My husband [32M] frequently jokes about my family. His attitude is rubbing off on our son [5M] and I [29F] want it to stop.

:murder:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

My final texts to him were still begging him to be kinder and realize his potential

Exactly

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My son asked me how I got into college. I thought it was genuine 5 year old curiosity and launched into an explanation, only to be interrupted with, "No, how'd you do it if you're dumb?"

Give this kid a drat forums account

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

She owns olympic dressage horses that are her "therapy animals". It was one of many examples how out of touch they were with tegular non robot humans.

tbf Rafalca is a dream

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

haha, funny joke, you're subhuman. let's get married!

I [24F] think my boyfriend [25M] may be racist.

quote:

So I've been dating my boyfriend Chris for 4 years (since university). Chris is white and I'm Southeast Asian (Filipina) and recently I feel like I might have to face the fact that my boyfriend is a racist.

A little background, Chris is from a wealthy white family with fairly "WASP-y" parents and relatives. We live in the same city, but I suppose within that city we would technically belong to very different "socioeconomic groups" or neighborhoods. Anyways, Chris's mom has always been cold to me even though I've known her for about 3 years now, and his dad is polite but very fake about it. I've never felt comfortable in their home, and it's always felt like his parents have never made an effort to get to know me. When I'm with Chris at his parent's house, it feels like they try to basically ignore my existence and just passively accept our relationship begrudgingly.

So I've always thought Chris was different, that he felt like his parents were ridiculous too. But recently the parents threw a party for Chris's younger brother who brought a girl back from Stanford and their treatment of her was just miles away from what I've ever gotten. Of course, she's blonde and skinny with a dad who's also some big-shot executive, and immediately they're inviting her to dinner parties and their clubs and even on vacation with them. They just kept asking her about her family, her friends, her schooling, her career path, etc. Apparently she's related to some old family of politicians/governors too (few currently well known ones) and the parents' eyes lit up like nothing else.

After that party I pretty much confronted Chris about his parent's reactions to his brother's girlfriend vs. me. Chris basically told me that his parents were "that excited" because they see the brother's new girlfriend as basically a future daughter-in-law (or they're hoping). Also, apparently his mom "saw herself" in the new girlfriend because they both looked kinda similar. I jumped on that and asked what about me then? Chris got really nervous and said that he doesn't know, that maybe his parents just don't know me well enough (which is BS because they've had 3 years to know me).

Obviously I kept pushing Chris to give me a straight answer and he thought and thought and finally gave some flimsy excuse about maybe it's because his mother isn't used to other "cultures" especially very far, third-world type places that make her naturally anxious, and that seeing me reminds her of that fact. I told him that was ridiculously ignorant and racist of her, and he got really mad and blurted "well it's true, you have to admit those places are kind of dirty and people there aren't the cleanest." I asked him if he thought I was dirty and he told me no but that I had to face the facts that parts of my culture and ancestral home are distasteful for the vast majority of people.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted because he's never said anything of the sort in the past, but now he seems so adamant that he didn't say anything wrong. He truly believes that his parents are justified in being distant towards me because parts of my culture are objectively horrendous. Now I'm wondering if this is the reason why he's never suggested any true long-term plans for us (engagement, marriage, kids) because he's always emphasized how he just wants to "take things as they go" and always shot me down when I talked about us in the future.

Is this common between interracial couples, or am I being crazy?

Edit: Now that I remember his mother also made a terrible joke about me when we first started dating. She told us over dinner that one of her friends saw us at the park and asked her why her son was having a picnic with the maid. I got really upset then but Chris just told me his mom had an awkward sense of humor and she was just trying to tell a funny anecdote. Now I'm not so sure.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Speaking of horses I have a sad tale as old as time. I'm considering getting into teaching middle or high school so to build a background of working with kids I've been doing private tutoring in the evening. One of my students in 8th grade lives in this super lush neighborhood, like it's so pretty it's hard to believe it's a part of the city I live in. Big ol mansions of houses, everyone with huge yards, people literally have the acreage for horses that I see grazing around when I'm driving to their place.

The student likes me a bunch and the parents have been so happy with her progress that they wanted me to tutor their 6th grade son too, only instead of giving him his own time slot they want me to help both at the same time. It goes okay but I felt like I couldn't be quite as thorough with either of them as i would have liked (because they were working on different material) so when I'm leaving and the mom asks me how things went I mention it might be better for them both to have their own hour. She gets this sad look on her face and goes "I know, but we're already putting this all on credit cards in the first place and I'm just not sure if we can afford it. Let me think about it"

It was just depressing, these families can afford horses but don't have the cash to stop their kids from failing algebra. I'm not even doing it for the money to be honest so I was half tempted to just offer to help out regardless but I'm technically working through an agency so I think it'd be against the rules.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

*shakes head* men are bad

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

new phone who dis posted:

Don't make me use my Shotokan karate on you goons. That poo poo was hilarious.

Is that one of the legit self-defense forms or one of the ones that you teach to 1st graders at the YMCA?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

*shakes head* men are bad

When pressed, most white people will make racist rear end statements ime

poo poo even when not pressed a lot of the time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

White people are loving hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

exactly, how dare you put that kind of pressure on him

I just needed him to show up to things and stop telling me that my memory is bad and that my cat doesn't love me :smithicide:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cats are incapable of love

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

Bazooka loves me dearly.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you died he would eat you

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nazzadan posted:

Me [40m] with my ???. Not sure how to proceed
reddit post of the century and we're only 17 years in

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

If you died he would eat you

That seems like a really intimate gesture and is probably a way that cats see love.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Pick posted:

Bazooka loves me dearly.

Your cat loves whoever feeds it and will eat your face when you die. It won't even wait until it's food bowl is empty.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Pick posted:

That seems like a really intimate gesture and is probably a way that cats see love.

More and more evidence of your vore fetish.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

🤔

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

Empirical Evidence: Cats Love People :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But seriously Filipina lady, they will never respect you and either you and your boyfriend will stay together and be constantly explictly avoided by everyone or his mother will eventually drive a wedge between you two as she is currently succeeding at.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is that one of the legit self-defense forms or one of the ones that you teach to 1st graders at the YMCA?

It's the one all the street fighter characters use

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Axolotl posted:

Your cat loves whoever feeds it and will eat your face when you die. It won't even wait until it's food bowl is empty.

No, at night he comes over and he rests his little cat arms over my neck, and he bops me with his forehead and purrs. After I'm asleep for a while he gets up and posts himself in a surveillance position to keep me safe. In between food and affection he always chooses pets and affection. He sleeps next to my mouse because me moving my mouse pets his head. He gets super upset when I'm gone no matter how much food is there, my neighbors always tell me he cries when I'm away.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Axolotl posted:

most of the human OPs in this thread wouldn't see those two as incompatible let alone animals, let's not go overboard with this romantic courtly love poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One time I was at Hugh's condo and I'd brought him something nice so he pointed at a can and said "You want that Rockstar? It's two years old."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

No, at night he comes over and he rests his little cat arms over my neck, and he bops me with his forehead and purrs. After I'm asleep for a while he gets up and posts himself in a surveillance position to keep me safe. In between food and affection he always chooses pets and affection. He sleeps next to my mouse because me moving my mouse pets his head. He gets super upset when I'm gone no matter how much food is there, my neighbors always tell me he cries when I'm away.

They love attention, that is different. they are furry narcissists

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

One time I was at Hugh's condo and I'd brought him something nice so he pointed at a can and said "You want that Rockstar? It's two years old."

Lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pick posted:

My partner works with a middle aged single woman with a cat, sometimes he tells me stories about her and they always seem a little sad.

What's it like? Is it as sad as it seems from the outside or is there joy in it?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

It's the one all the street fighter characters use

If it's good enough for Blanka....

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blue Train posted:

They love attention, that is different. they are furry narcissists
A cat bit you or something when you were 6, I take it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

A cat bit you or something when you were 6, I take it.

I have three cats

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Three Olives posted:

My partner works with a middle aged single woman with a cat, sometimes he tells me stories about her and they always seem a little sad.

What's it like? Is it as sad as it seems from the outside or is there joy in it?

The affection of an animal is the most precious form of love and kindness we can experience actually

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Maybe one day she will realize it's a class thing but unlikely.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

I have three cats

They probably wouldn't even sniff your corpse if you died.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still have that Rockstar because that is one of the only things he ever gave me to remember him by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

it's fine