Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't understand why Vorici refuses to sell me Fusings until I've accepted his daily

The other masters are cool about it Vorici, why can't you be cool?

You ask why the rear end in a top hat who gives stupid hateful missions that gently caress you over for being effective at killing things won't save you a click or two?

We tolerate the smarmy fucker because he is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They're not in wraeclast because they're such nice people

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't understand why Vorici refuses to sell me Fusings until I've accepted his daily

The other masters are cool about it Vorici, why can't you be cool?

Yeah, what's happening is you're doing the daily, then buying the fusings, and then he's out of stock until you do the next daily (or he levels up! TIL)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Preview of one of the Pantheon fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK4ERkHbwWM

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, seems like it'd be more convenient if they just reset stock each day instead of making you accept the daily and abandon it every time.

Like if you actually had to succeed the daily mission I could understand it even if I'd disagree with the design, but since you don't it's literally just a chore so ???

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Okay, so.

I have played this game, but not in literally years; I was one of the people who actually got the original install disc from a PAX. Last time I played the skill grid was simpler and there wasn't any of this endgame stuff. I can't remember if all the acts were in yet.

I'm pretty lost as to what builds are good for someone with no in-game currency at all and very little experience. What's a good resource for someone coming in mostly blind and with no modern PoE experience, for builds or other things I should know? I particularly like filling the screen with projectiles and/or traps, if that matters. Archery is great if there's a build for that.

Also, is it worth waiting for the next patch, as I understand that reshuffles a lot of stuff about how acts work.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 9, 2017

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I would start now to get a sense for mechanics. Join the guild - there's tons of good leveling gear that'll help you learn mechanics and boss fights in advance of the new expansion. Archery is tough to level with, unless you have leveling uniques (ie, join the guild!). Spells are often quite easy to level with so a projectile spell or trap build may work well for Fall of Oriath. FOO is just removing the repeated playthroughs - acts 1 through 4 will be largely unchanged, but it is adding 6 new acts, so what you learn won't be majorly obsolete come July. The game's changed a lot since you last played - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. For guides, I'll let others chime in, but I know Neversink has had a great Archer guide for years, and there's a good couple voltaxic builds this league too.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Well, the overall "dirt cheap entry and can kill an awful lot of poo poo" build I'd say is the Whispering Ice CwC Scorching Ray build. No need for 6-links means you can get up and running on cheaper gear than most. For an overview of builds I generally use this link which sorts all the builds from the official forums by skill (or in a few cases, like Whispering Ice, by item). Dunno if it quite fills your hankering for filling the screen with projectiles, though you will be filling the screen with icerain which is technically projectiles.

As for waiting for the next patch...looks like we're looking at late July for that, so over two and a half month. I'd say get in now and get reacquainted with the game, before the big patch drops. The big thing in 3.0 is that instead of going through 4 acts 3 times, you'll be going through 10 acts a single time. From what we know so far it won't change endgame all that much, though there are supposed to be a lot of changes so it's all a bit up in the air.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think we might need a new OP, and maybe several effort posts of our own about starter builds, because gently caress other forums

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I will never go to reddit to learn about this so I hope a good OP and new thread springs from the ether somehow.

I'd make one but I am bad at posting and making pithy jokes about the game.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think we might need a new OP, and maybe several effort posts of our own about starter builds, because gently caress other forums

Ehh, I've had some success looking at the build posts in the main POE forums. there needs to be a big, bold warning though this game isn't as easily min/maxed as other games, so don't treat the builds as gospel

I've read several of the builds trying to get a grasp on this game as a new player and i'm like, wtf why did they make this choice, which either leads me to thinking the player is an idiot or realizing theres a mechanic I should learn about (hello frenzy charges).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Have we been told yet what will fill the gap between Legacy and FOO?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well, I've managed to get a character to 76 in LHC and even completed my Merc trial all by myself without much difficulty, granted its a blade flurry assassin but it feels nice for things to be going well, the build feels really smooth in terms of survival even being life/evasion based and I'm learning to use flasks that aren't just life, mana and quicksilver for the first time.

If anyone could give me some advice in terms of what i'm going to get the most bang for my buck for in terms of upgrades and passives to go for next, I'm going to pick up the golem's blood life nodes which will mean I'm comfortable swapping out of my legacy blood dance into a pair of atziri's step. Then I figured the next biggest upgrade is the heartseeker cluster followed by another power charge? Then to finish heading over to Adder's Touch.

I'm also not really sure on whether the 4 nodes after acrobatics are worth it, I see a lot of people dont spec into them.

Here's my profile, its PrincessMcFlurry

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Stangg_187/characters

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

regulargonzalez posted:

Have we been told yet what will fill the gap between Legacy and FOO?

Nope. I would imagine the easiest thing for them to do is simply extend legacy until 3.0 is announced, since all the previous filler leagues have been some sort of legacy variant and everyone at GGG should be in beta crunch mode and not trying to build a new filler league.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Speaking of!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1897264

GGG posted:

What happens on the main realm once Legacy ends and while the Beta is ongoing?
We're going to run events! So many events. It's a great opportunity to try out leagues and races of different variations without disturbing an active challenge league. We'll likely solicit suggestions from players over the coming weeks.

Also

GGG posted:

Can I pay to get into the Beta?
Yes, the new set of supporter packs (released simultaneously with the Beta) will all grant access. In addition, we will likely invite players with significant previous support immediately without the need for a purchase. We define this as a purchase of any top-tier pack ($440 or above) or people whose total lifetime purchases combine to $500 or more. For everyone who supports in any amount, thank you. You make expansions like this possible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That sounds like a flashback league to me.

Which I'm totally okay with.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF9qZdVHq9o

Has PoE gone too far???

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

poo poo, that was literally posted minutes after my post. So much for my future telling abilities.

nerox
May 20, 2001
they should do a solo self-found temp league with crazy drop rates :getin:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Ya, OP is way out of date. I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for either a) more concrete information about the expansion to make a new OP or b) someone else to get inspired and do all the work instead. :grin:

I thought about trying to keep a list of builds in the OP but it is just way too much effort to stay on top of, especially as things get buffed/nerfed or new interactions get discovered.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

J posted:

Ya, OP is way out of date. I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for either a) more concrete information about the expansion to make a new OP or b) someone else to get inspired and do all the work instead. :grin:

I thought about trying to keep a list of builds in the OP but it is just way too much effort to stay on top of, especially as things get buffed/nerfed or new interactions get discovered.

I agree that putting builds in the OP are way too much effort. You can probably link to these sites though:

http://timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list - Scraps the official forums for builds and puts them in an easily organizable layout.

https://www.poebuilds.io - Scraps the top 1000 players in each league and tells you what build they are running. Probably a much better idea than simply looking for a build on the forums, because it shows what people are actually using, as opposed to theorycrafting.

VVVV thats a great idea, once the beta is underway and we know approximately whats changing I bet there are going to be a ton of "what build should i start with in 3.0" videos that we can steal from

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 10, 2017

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think having 3-5 newbie-friendly starter builds is an important thing to have in an OP. It's a constant question from people coming into the thread, and one of the first things people are going to look for in an OP.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

can I have giant swarms of summons (skeletons or otherwise, who cares, i just like giant masses of pets) in this game like diablo 2 necro or will i be disappointed?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I got a level one unique wand (Lifesprig) and made a witch to try it out with. It was a pretty marginal improvement over the starting Stick of Wood so I'm kind of wondering what the intended purpose is other than the advantage of having some more sockets?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zenithe posted:

I got a level one unique wand (Lifesprig) and made a witch to try it out with. It was a pretty marginal improvement over the starting Stick of Wood so I'm kind of wondering what the intended purpose is other than the advantage of having some more sockets?

Its actually the best wand for leveling with spells that you can get. +1 to spell gems is a big boost in damage, as is the cast speed. You can get higher spell damage with blue wands, but its fine for what it is. Life and mana are always good, and the small amount of regen can keep you alive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Its actually the best wand for leveling with spells that you can get. +1 to spell gems is a big boost in damage, as is the cast speed. You can get higher spell damage with blue wands, but its fine for what it is. Life and mana are always good, and the small amount of regen can keep you alive.

Axiom Perpetuum isn't a wand but it's also very good for leveling spells.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

can I have giant swarms of summons (skeletons or otherwise, who cares, i just like giant masses of pets) in this game like diablo 2 necro or will i be disappointed?

you can have like 12 'permanant' summons and a bunch of temporary skeletons and skulls.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Kild posted:

you can have like 12 'permanant' summons and a bunch of temporary skeletons and skulls.

temporary pets fit the bill too. i mean, d2 skeletons/revives were basically all temp pets. i just have fond memories of flooding the screen with like 60-something minions and making it an obnoxious quagmire. thanks! that makes me want to give PoE a go. apparently the d3 necro is (in its current beta) limited to like, 7 skeletons and a golem, and i need my army of garbage fix.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

temporary pets fit the bill too. i mean, d2 skeletons/revives were basically all temp pets. i just have fond memories of flooding the screen with like 60-something minions and making it an obnoxious quagmire. thanks! that makes me want to give PoE a go. apparently the d3 necro is (in its current beta) limited to like, 7 skeletons and a golem, and i need my army of garbage fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOK5uJDrzu0

He did manage to make it into a serious build after CWC came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzegU2UCpyk
Definitely not cheap though (even excluding the unnecessary Skyforths he has in there)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 10, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tsurupettan posted:

You can do several zombies with a spectre or two and temp skellies, you can have huge swarms of short lived flaming skulls, you can have huge swarms of animated weapons, you can have a smallish group of golems, and hybrid builds of any of the above.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

regulargonzalez posted:

animated weapons
golems

Don't start with these.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
EK (shadow, ranger or witch) is a really good build to start with, and will be especially so if they add threshold gems to vendors like they said they wanted to.

I'm leaning toward that or Arc (I really hope an Arc threshold gem makes it in: something like 100% more damage if it doesn't chain, or 100% increased damage to first target or something, idk)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

lurksion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOK5uJDrzu0

He did manage to make it into a serious build after CWC came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzegU2UCpyk
Definitely not cheap though (even excluding the unnecessary Skyforths he has in there)

these are dumb as gently caress and i love it in every possible way.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some more links that should be in the next first post.

http://poerng.com/#/ RNG POE build generator

http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list Builds by skill gems

http://poeprices.info/uniqueitempages/Alluniqueitems.html#tableofcontent builds by uniques

http://poe.ninja/ Price aggregator

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 10, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

quote:

Your build is: Elemental Hit Shadow with Unwavering Stance

I don't like that randomizer

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Why is this thing 10c:

And this one 1e:

That thicket bow seems pretty sick, and the sockets are exactly what you want, short of not all being linked. I can buy that the harbinger is better, but what is that, 1000x more expensive?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Why is this thing 10c:

And this one 1e:

That thicket bow seems pretty sick, and the sockets are exactly what you want, short of not all being linked

Second one has higher crit and can have crit added to it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

Second one has higher crit and can have crit added to it.

Second has also been listed for 2 weeks aka is massively overpriced.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Second has also been listed for 2 weeks aka is massively overpriced.

That too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I found a Sire of Shards last night, is there anything cool I can do with this or does the nova passive kinda gently caress things up? I kinda thought about trying to do the frostbolt ignite build with it and 2 Frozen Trails for a bunch of easy clear power but I'm also a little worried that the ignites would be too weak without Doryani's Catalyst.

• Locked thread