Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

System Metternich posted:

(Probably too easy) riddle for you: what's wrong with this reliquary containing a drop of blood of St John Paul II that was unveiled two weeks ago in the cathedral of Paderborn, Germany?

That's the heavyweight belt and spirits should clearly fight at atomweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
all of the blood of st john paul II contained in reliquaries around europe will leak out on the 100th anniversary of fatima, snaking their way towards Rome like some T-1000 poo poo.

st blood golem john paul II will snatch the zucchetto off of pope francis' head and hiss "ordinary form was a missstake" and then consume his holiness' essence

and yea shall sspx rejoice

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

(Probably too easy) riddle for you: what's wrong with this reliquary containing a drop of blood of St John Paul II that was unveiled two weeks ago in the cathedral of Paderborn, Germany?

Is it the "H" in his name?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

all of the blood of st john paul II contained in reliquaries around europe will leak out on the 100th anniversary of fatima, snaking their way towards Rome like some T-1000 poo poo.

st blood golem john paul II will snatch the zucchetto off of pope francis' head and hiss "ordinary form was a missstake" and then consume his holiness' essence

Where did you find my private notebook?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

the dutch reform unitarian universalist church shall reign supreme.

It's going to be hard to let go of my trinitarian rebellion, but surely the Church and the State know the distant, esoteric god better than I, right?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is this thing honoring his fight for the rights of blastocyst-Americans. Or is it that is looks like two pairs of testicles. Or is there some kind of kaleidoscope situation going on here where there's actually only one blob of pope blood in there.

Either way I can't believe this guy was pope until 2005. He was a pope from long before​ I was born almost until I finished school. Let's see Francis top that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Francis said he's open to retirement or a death in the near future, right?

Naive as I must be, I actually like the precedent Pope Benedict XVI set. Outlets were speculating the possibility that his emeritus status would raise the risk of schism. But I guess the odds of that shrinking with time. Let the popes serve until the Holy Spirit tells them to rest. If these chief shepherds in their retirement cannot help but divide the flock further, then they may not be in the service and likeness of the good shepherd, and sheep should not listen to them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Caufman posted:

Francis said he's open to retirement or a death in the near future, right?

Naive as I must be, I actually like the precedent Pope Benedict XVI set. Outlets were speculating the possibility that his emeritus status would raise the risk of schism. But I guess the odds of that shrinking with time. Let the popes serve until the Holy Spirit tells them to rest. If these chief shepherds in their retirement cannot help but divide the flock further, then they may not be in the service and likeness of the good shepherd, and sheep should not listen to them.

Well, the sheeple... :v:

The reliquary celebrates JPII's prayers for something even lower than demons: 4chan!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Keromaru5 posted:

Is it the "H" in his name?

Exactly! Apparently the goldsmith didn't speak Latin and thought he'd correct a mistake, because (according to the diocese at least) the schematics all read IOANNES sans H :v:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Exactly! Apparently the goldsmith didn't speak Latin and thought he'd correct a mistake, because (according to the diocese at least) the schematics all read IOANNES sans H :v:

Looks better with the H IMO

Caufman
May 7, 2007

JcDent posted:

Well, the sheeple... :v:

I'm not even mad tho

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've visited a fantastic museum in Amsterdam a week ago. The place is called Our Lord in the Attic. It's an underground Catholic church, that is, well, not literally underground, but the opposite of that. In the 17th century, when Catholicism and some other Christian churches were banned from openly worshipping (despite proclaimed freedom of religion) and all their property was expropriated by the state, enthusiasts 'secretly' turned three top floors of their house into a proper little church with an organ and everything. The only thing it misses is a bell tower. It even has a little folding pulpit hidden in the altar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would think the miniature choir might tip people off.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

The Phlegmatist posted:

My dudes, have you considered that maybe Jesus was a golem made out of bread and wine? :getin:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I've visited a fantastic museum in Amsterdam a week ago. The place is called Our Lord in the Attic. It's an underground Catholic church, that is, well, not literally underground, but the opposite of that. In the 17th century, when Catholicism and some other Christian churches were banned from openly worshipping (despite proclaimed freedom of religion) and all their property was expropriated by the state, enthusiasts 'secretly' turned three top floors of their house into a proper little church with an organ and everything. The only thing it misses is a bell tower. It even has a little folding pulpit hidden in the altar.

I visited that years ago, definitely worth checking out.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

My dudes, have you considered that maybe Jesus was a golem made out of bread and wine? :getin:

lol look at who has never been to Mass in Tokyo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
surprised this wasn't kyril, someone talk to me about hilarion
http://time.com/4776717/mike-pence-russian-cleric-hilarion-alfeyev/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He's being groomed for the patriarchate, brilliant theologian and composer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

I would think the miniature choir might tip people off.

In reality, because this church's construction was backed by some wealthy families and technically it was just a private house church, local government preferred not to notice it.

HEY GAIL posted:

surprised this wasn't kyril, someone talk to me about hilarion
http://time.com/4776717/mike-pence-russian-cleric-hilarion-alfeyev/

He's spent a lot of time living and studying abroad, and he pretty much steers clear of the ROC's internal affairs. Can't remember anything bad about him, really. Kirill was his predecessor as the chairman of the Department of External Church Relations, so, as Smoking Crow's pointed out, some people do consider him to be a likely candidate for patriarchy, but what's worth remembering is that when Kirill was elected, he was, too, considered an intellectual and a moderate in contrast to Alexiy II, yet we all know how that worked out.

E: here's his take on Stabat Mater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baoh-VDiu3U

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 12, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
i continue to be deeply amused at how the evangelical right loves the russian church's authoritarian partnership with the state, except when it gets in the way of their attempts to proselytize away members of that very same church

frankly we could use some missionary and evangelism restrictions around here. i was mortified to see a hare krishna encampment set up right outside my parish church on good friday, and we routinely get campus evangelicals harassing people coming out of mass on particularly catholic holy days, like marian feasts. wouldn't mind seeing people fined or forcibly removed for pulling that kind of poo poo

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i don't disagree but i doubt making it a law would be helpful tbh, too easy to manipulate imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paladinus posted:

In reality, because this church's construction was backed by some wealthy families and technically it was just a private house church, local government preferred not to notice it.

I guess I just like the idea of the protestant police turning up like the centurions in Life of Brian and saying "Why can I hear Latin choral singing coming from your attic?"

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

i continue to be deeply amused at how the evangelical right loves the russian church's authoritarian partnership with the state, except when it gets in the way of their attempts to proselytize away members of that very same church

frankly we could use some missionary and evangelism restrictions around here. i was mortified to see a hare krishna encampment set up right outside my parish church on good friday, and we routinely get campus evangelicals harassing people coming out of mass on particularly catholic holy days, like marian feasts. wouldn't mind seeing people fined or forcibly removed for pulling that kind of poo poo

hoo boy

Ban evangelization in the US and Jack Chick himself with crawl out of the grave to start drawing tracts again. That's seriously not a hornet's nest you want the government to touch.

Also do you have a Newman's Center on campus? Get them out there to pray the Litany of Loreto when the street preachers come.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

In Russia the following restrictions exist according to the law On Freedom of Conscience and on Religious Associations (sorry for my wonky translation)

quote:

Missionary work aimed at the following is prohibited:

- Disturbance of social order and safety
- Extremist activities
- Coercion into termination of families
- Infringement on personal identity, rights, and freedoms of citizens
- Damage to morality, as outlined by the law, including usage in religious practices of narcotic and psychotropic substances, hypnosis, and lewd and other unlawful acts
- Coercion into suicide or denial of medical treatment based on religious beliefs of people in a state that is dangerous to their life and health (this is partly why Jehovah's Witnesses were banned in Russia not long ago)
- Obstruction of compulsory education
- Coercion of members and followers of a religious organisation or of other people into alienation of property in favour of the religious organisation
- Obstruction of leaving a religious organisation with threats of damage to health or property, provided the danger is real (it's implied that you can scare people with God's retribution, which is not 'real' :eyesroll:), or with actual acts of violence
- Inducement of citizens for denial of their civic duties and for committing other unlawful acts

It's not that bad on paper, I suppose, but with the right angle one could ban any mainstream religion based on that law.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

hoo boy

Ban evangelization in the US and Jack Chick himself with crawl out of the grave to start drawing tracts again. That's seriously not a hornet's nest you want the government to touch.

Also do you have a Newman's Center on campus? Get them out there to pray the Litany of Loreto when the street preachers come.

Yeah. There is no way whatsoever a move to ban evangelization would end well in the US. Trying to ban it would do the exact opposite of tamping down religious hysteria here.

Politically conservative Christianity in the US lives and breathes a martyrdom complex. If you think they whine about being unfairly prosecuted now...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 12, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I dunno how many levels of irony Pence was on speaking about the persecution of Christians to a Christian audience that would actively persecute him for being Christian.

I guess when you're a Catholic and also an Evangelical Protestant the denominational lines have already blurred together to the point where they don't matter anymore.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

I dunno how many levels of irony Pence was on speaking about the persecution of Christians to a Christian audience that would actively persecute him for being Christian.

I guess when you're a Catholic and also an Evangelical Protestant the denominational lines have already blurred together to the point where they don't matter anymore.

Pence professes sola fide and is definitely no longer in communion with the Catholic Church.

An evangelization ban would never fly, I know. Doesn't mean I can't fantasize about a time when I can walk out of Mass and not run into some barely-literate holy roller who doesn't know jack poo poo about my religion but is dead sure I'm going to hell.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bel_Canto posted:

Pence professes sola fide and is definitely no longer in communion with the Catholic Church.

An evangelization ban would never fly, I know. Doesn't mean I can't fantasize about a time when I can walk out of Mass and not run into some barely-literate holy roller who doesn't know jack poo poo about my religion but is dead sure I'm going to hell.

A restriction on evangelization would require a constitutional amendment to overturn the 1st as a first step. I don't think that's a direction we'd really like to go.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The only time some evangelical fundie tried to convert me was at a Mass held by Pope Benedict in Freiburg, funnily enough. She tried to convince me of the evils of homosexuality and Catholicism by quoting Scripture at me (credit where it's due, she really knew her Scripture and recited everything by heart), but got really angry and left when I told her that as a Catholic the Bible is *not* the be-all-end-all for me. That was also the only time I got ever called “evil“ directly to my face, good times. I have to say that this and the batshit crazy pamphlets distributed at the entrance that went on about how the Illuminati Jesuits control the world/the fact that a Pope once met somebody who wasn't Catholic is definite proof that the Holy See is actually vacant really contributed to the experience :allears:

It would probably grow old fast, though. How often does this happen in the States, and is it only at Catholic churches or at Orthodox ones too?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I just noticed that my state actually has a pretty large number of Old Believer communities. I think it'd be rad to visit some, but I'm guessing they're pretty keen on lying low.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cerror posted:

I just noticed that my state actually has a pretty large number of Old Believer communities. I think it'd be rad to visit some, but I'm guessing they're pretty keen on lying low.
alaska or the PNW?

and i don't know how they feel about outsiders in the US, since we have religious freedom here

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

It would probably grow old fast, though. How often does this happen in the States, and is it only at Catholic churches or at Orthodox ones too?

I'd be surprised if the average evangelical in the US even knows anything about the Orthodox. The evil Catholics are a more pressing concern.

Evangelicals have a dislike for mainline Protestants too; at my last church we used to get copies of Jack Chick's Flight 144 tract left outside the sanctuary every once in a while. That's the one where two Christian philanthropists who have dedicated their lives to sharing their fortune across the globe on mission trips end up burning in hell because they never accepted Jesus. The implication being that helping the poor might be cool and all but your main purpose as a Christian needs to be evangelization. It's one of his weirder ones.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

E. wrong thread

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Two of the Fatima kids are recognized as saints now:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/world/europe/in-portugal-pope-proclaims-two-fatima-siblings-saints.html

Is the text of their "secrets" online spmewhere?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

pidan posted:

Two of the Fatima kids are recognized as saints now:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/world/europe/in-portugal-pope-proclaims-two-fatima-siblings-saints.html

Is the text of their "secrets" online spmewhere?

Yeah, the wiki page has it (though the first secret was simply a vision shown to the children).

I quite like the official depictions of the two kids that were shown during their Canonisation Mass today, btw. They sorta remind me of Warhammer 40k :v:

https://twitter.com/FatherRosica/status/861756622594617345

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The only time some evangelical fundie tried to convert me was at a Mass held by Pope Benedict in Freiburg, funnily enough. She tried to convince me of the evils of homosexuality and Catholicism by quoting Scripture at me (credit where it's due, she really knew her Scripture and recited everything by heart), but got really angry and left when I told her that as a Catholic the Bible is *not* the be-all-end-all for me. That was also the only time I got ever called “evil“ directly to my face, good times. I have to say that this and the batshit crazy pamphlets distributed at the entrance that went on about how the Illuminati Jesuits control the world/the fact that a Pope once met somebody who wasn't Catholic is definite proof that the Holy See is actually vacant really contributed to the experience :allears:

I'm sorry that happened. It sounds like that evangelist committed an act of unprovoked spiritual violence against you. Peace be with you; no mortal decides who is named in the Book of Life. One outcome or the other, I will accept the Lamb's judgment and no one else's.

I like to listen to the gospel song, "You don't know what the Lord has done for me." That's right. I don't know; I wasn't there. At most, I can give my own testimony as best I can. I am the beneficiary of the bequeathment of sacred tradition and sacred scripture both, side-by-side as one fulfills the other. The sacred story passes on from generation to generation, going through me but not ending with me. No one but God will decide the validity of the story each person can recount.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Sorry to report, thread, that the transmasculine pagan music director of our diocese, who refers to himself as Mother Mary and teaches tantric sex practices on the side, has been dismissed by our new bishop.

I guess the existence of someone who would wind up as a gift-wrapped subject for a hateful editorial by Michael Voris is too much of a liability.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Phlegmatist posted:

Sorry to report, thread, that the transmasculine pagan music director of our diocese, who refers to himself as Mother Mary and teaches tantric sex practices on the side, has been dismissed by our new bishop.

I guess the existence of someone who would wind up as a gift-wrapped subject for a hateful editorial by Michael Voris is too much of a liability.

How do such people not explode from having such terrifyingly complex and partly contradictory lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Re fatima kids: my girlfriend found it funny that bona fide saints probably had their assess spanked by their mom at some point.

• Locked thread