Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Art? Making people...feel...emotions? What the hell?

I only feel locally sourced, free range emotions, none of those corporate feel$ for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CelticPredator posted:

Welcome to CD my friend.

And people wonder why autism jokes keep being made.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're confusing Star-Lord with the audience.

Are people generally afraid their dad will abandon them after he already did so 34 years ago?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Gyges posted:

Since Peter was the result of a quest to create a power boost so Ego could be the galaxy, doesn't that mean that Peter is actually full of light himself and doesn't actually need Ego to be a god? I mean, if you're lacking power, charging up an empty battery sure isn't helping you be more powerful.

Only as long as Ego existed/was alive. Otherwise in the end he wouldn't need the inflatabubble space suit.

This thread is about MEEEEEE.

Stop. This is SMG's gimmick and you're a bad imitation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

ruddiger is mocking people who imprint emotionally on tent pole blockbusters.

GotG2's emotional landscape is poorly developed and immature (like with its attitude to sex). Crying at it is a bit silly.

Gyges posted:

Are people generally afraid their dad will abandon them after he already did so 34 years ago?

Movies tend to have things like themes that resonate with audiences. When a movie is exploring themes like absent parents or fear of manipulation, audiences may find them resonant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

And people wonder why autism jokes keep being made.

This is not really something I wonder about.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of my friend's is still dealing with losing his father almost four years after the fact and felt pretty strongly affected by it, so I don't blame anybody for crying. But whatever helps you guys feel like the coolest cats around I guess.

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 10, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I'm gonna cry like a baby at it and still be the coolest motherfucker in the whole wide world.

:dealwithit:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If crying at movies makes you cool, I'm Miles Davis.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

If crying at movies makes you cool, I'm Miles Davis.

I just want you to know that I understood that reference and I think you're a cool dude for making it.

:coal:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Crying owns actually. I definitely teared up at Guardians 1 when Rocket has his breakdown in the bar, and this one had plenty of that towards the end with Yondu's whole "he may have been your father but he wasn't your daddy" line and his space funeral.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger is mocking people who imprint emotionally on tent pole blockbusters.

GotG2's emotional landscape is poorly developed and immature (like with its attitude to sex). Crying at it is a bit silly.

It's a visceral emotional response. You don't prescreen your emotional response, something works for you or it doesn't. That comes first, the cool logical dissection comes later.

Obviously the film did not elicit a similar response from you. That's fine. You can argue why it doesn't work. That's fine. Saying other people are silly for having a different visceral reaction? That makes you a dick.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

One of my friend's is still dealing with losing his father almost four years afyer the fact and felt pretty strongly affected by it, so I don't blame anybody for crying. But whatever helps you guys feel like the coolest cats around I guess.

Hopefully they can move past and recover from such a loss.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The autism thing isn't a joke. BravestOfTheLamps is literally a self-diagnosed :spergin:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No, I'm a

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I only feel locally sourced, free range emotions, none of those corporate feel$ for me!

Coporate feels is the perfect descriptor for all the manufactured interpersonal beats in this movie. Yondu's fate is pretty calculated from a franchise perspective, especially when you take into consideration that 1) characters cheat death in comics all the time, and 2) the spirit of Yondu's character is reborn in this very movie in his first mate, similar to Groot's "death" in the first one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
All emotional beats in movies are manufactured and calculated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ruddiger posted:

Coporate feels is the perfect descriptor for all the manufactured interpersonal beats in this movie. Yondu's fate is pretty calculated from a franchise perspective, especially when you take into consideration that 1) characters cheat death in comics all the time, and 2) the spirit of Yondu's character is reborn in this very movie in his first mate, similar to Groot's "death" in the first one.

As opposed to those stories where the emotional beats are unintentional...?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

You know if they give Starlord his light powers back down the road, it'll kinda suck since Yondu didnt have to die.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

All emotional beats in movies are manufactured and calculated.

Tarantino wrote the Hateful 8 without any idea of who poisoned the coffee pot and let the movie's plot unfold organically as he wrote it.

So no, not all movies, unless you're just being pedantic about the definition of "manufactured," maybe I should've said "manufactured by committee".

Also, most movies aren't so transparent as to dial back that emotional beat before the credits are even finished rolling.

And you're deluding yourself if you don't think every minuscule detail in this franchise movie wasn't rubber stamped to hell and back by marvel suits all the way til release date.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
If we're not done talking about sex, I have something important that needs clearing up.

Early on in the movie, we see Yondu at a brothel with yellow sex robots. Ravagers the around the galaxy love these sex robots - Mushmouth Stallone makes an indeterminate vocalization at the madam, apparently they won't visit them anymore? Anyway, do you think Yondu bought Peter an evening with one of these lady-bots of the night? With familial bonding being a major theme of this movie, I think it's likely.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Tarantino wrote the Hateful 8 without any idea of who poisoned the coffee pot and let the movie's plot unfold organically as he wrote it.

So no, not all movies, unless you're just being pedantic about the definition of "manufactured," maybe I should've said "manufactured by committee".

Also, most movies aren't so transparent as to dial back that emotional beat before the credits are even finished rolling.

And you're deluding yourself if you don't think every minuscule detail in this franchise movie wasn't rubber stamped to hell and back by marvel suits all the way til release date.

Who cares what committees or calculations went into it? It made people in the audience (as evidenced by people in this thread, including me) feel real feelings, which were organic and not calculated at all. I didn't go into this movies saying "I am going to cry x number of times"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I know when I'm watching a movie I have to be super careful to make sure it's not a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster committee movie before I catch them feels, otherwise my entire emotional spectrum is invalidated.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Yeah but he presumably at some point edited the script he had written, and in that time made the calculated call to keep that the same. Hot today, cold tomorrow, that's how writing works. And that's before the stages of preparing, shooting, and editing the film, all of which were filled with opportunities to change his mind.

Sure, Yondu's death is a bit heavily foreshadowed. But there was enough going on otherwise that I wasn't sure until pretty late in the climax that it was going to take place. We've spent enough time with him to grow to like him as a character and to understand how Peter would come to view him as his true father, and to lose two fathers at once is pretty brutal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also keep in mind I actually loved Yondu (well, I love Michael Rooker's portrayal), and it was sad that he died, but only in the sense that ALL DADS DIE. That's life. It was a foregone conclusion in the eyes of the movie that he had to die, but in keeping with the Mighty Marvel tradition, he had to be reborn as well, both in look (the ravager now wearing Yondu's mohawk), and role (Peter becoming Groot's surrogate parental figure in the credits), and he'll no doubt be reborn a third time by the obligatory Rooker cameo in the next one, the movie's not subtle about any of this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 10, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Discussing and deconstructing themes of fatherhood is fine and dare I say good, blubbering like a baby at "Quill has a dad just like me! He played catch! Like a dad! Which made me cry!" is empty cheerleading for an idea put forth with no critical thought behind it.

Most people going to the movies aren't critics. They are there to enjoy the movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ruddiger posted:

Coporate feels is the perfect

Type of thing to come out of the mouth of someone that needs their shirt pulled up over the head while people kick them in the rear end for 5 minutes?

Yes. Yes it is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm glad this movie is antisex because sex actually is bad and wrong. It will sit beside Minions on my shelf of Acceptable media.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Type of thing to come out of the mouth of someone that needs their shirt pulled up over the head while people kick them in the rear end for 5 minutes?

Hahahaha

You actually want someone to get beaten up because they didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 10, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hahahaha

You actually want someone to get beaten up because they didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

I think you'll find I've spent nearly all my time making fun of people for who they are rather than their criticisms of the movie :smug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sure, Yondu's death is a bit heavily foreshadowed. But there was enough going on otherwise that I wasn't sure until pretty late in the climax that it was going to take place. We've spent enough time with him to grow to like him as a character and to understand how Peter would come to view him as his true father, and to lose two fathers at once is pretty brutal.

It is fitting that in a movie about that's nominally about the worth of outcasts and scum of the galaxy, the only real outcasts and scum of the galaxy all die.

Mulva posted:

I think you'll find I've spent nearly all my time making fun of people for who they are rather than their criticisms of the movie :smug:

Well yes, that's what makes it doubly pathetic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Well yes, that's what makes it doubly pathetic.

Would you like to post a grainy photo of Man of Steel about it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What do you think about GotG and GotG2? I find them very lacking, especially how they don't look very funny despite being very visually-oriented comedies.

Or that when dramatic, they don't look very dramatic:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 10, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Neither of those images is particularly comedic, it's what happens after in Hitchhiker's that is the funny bit of that scene. Meanwhile the other is GotG being an action movie for a bit, seeing as it is an action comedy, it's not meant to be a comedic scene. It's meant to be Yondu is actually really dangerous and this scene shows it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's a movie, the comedy comes from what the characters say and do. If you want an example of visual comedy shot though, that would be the "700 jumps" sequence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy cats this discussion is boring and has been done to death. You've even used the same image. loving hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

I haven't really seen or heard of a positive depiction of functioning sexuality in any of the Marvel films, in what I've seen and heard, it's an uncomfortable, disruptive force at best. I'd be open to counter-examples, though, because there's plenty of films I just haven't seen.

I think it's just there's no need for romance-based sex scenes in PG-13 action movies. Frankly there's no need for sex scenes in most R rated action movies that have them, just gratuitous romance plots that drive you up a loving wall. Something like Fury Road would not have been improved by Max shagging Furosia, and that's what most of that poo poo ends up being. The best ones do a little bit of tension at most, and leave it at that.

It's not true for every story, and it's a lot more addressed in the slightly grittier Netflix series where you're following the characters for a longer period of time. And there's been plenty of examples in the movies, too. It's just that it's never been a shoehorned in thing, and I in no way can fault them for that. Leave the romance/sex scenes for places they're appropriate and don't bother with them in places they're really unnecessary.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What do you think about GotG and GotG2? I find them very lacking, especially how they don't look very funny despite being very visually-oriented comedies.

Or that when dramatic, they don't look very dramatic:

I have no idea what random screengrabs are supposed to prove.

I mean, people would tell you Caddyshack is funny, but does this look funny to you?

What a bunch of hacks; you call that a comedy classic?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I have no idea what random screengrabs are supposed to prove.

GotG movies are unimpressive past the immediate observation that they're colourful and sometimes pretty. Hitch-Hiker's for example shows how forgettable GotG 1&2 are for massive sci-fi adventure extravaganzas.

The reaction that visuals don't matter is predictable.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 10, 2017

• Locked thread