Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

Yeah. I get that, because unlike cars I guess RVs don't need to have expired licenses/be disabled for the city to issue a tow notice. What I'm curious about is whether it's bluster or if they're actually planning to follow through on it. It seems like a pretty drastic escalation of police harassment. It seems like it would be really likely to end up with people beaten up/shot when they don't exit the vehicle prior to a tow.

I heard there was a trail of needles and broken bottles around every occupied RV, you surely don't want my children to roll around in that, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but they're homeless, and whenever people see homeless, reports of thefts and other minor crimes go up, and then business owners complain to the media. That's where we're at.

Is there evidence to support the claim that crime reporting goes up when visible homeless populations crop up?

I'm inclined to agree with you but I don't know where to get that data.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I readily admit that I do not have any evidence to back up that claim. Also, I'm not sure how I'd get that data, if it exists.

https://twitter.com/JoshKuh44/status/858820646196854784

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

xrunner posted:

Yeah. He wants to be governor, but in a mind-boggling miscalculation he somehow didn't notice that Portland mayor is political suicide.

Yeah, it is a notoriously weak position in a city that has a ton of issues and limited financing. I don't know why politicians see it as a stepping stone or a sinecure. Granted, Fish and Saltzman do seem to get away with fading into the background.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
portland.txt:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/portland_steak-centric_strip_c.html

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I guess nothing says Portland more than 'Vegan Strip Club'.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/man_who_pointed_gun_at_dont_sh.html :hellyeah:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

The judge settled on 40 days, saying that Strickland can start serving it on weekends in August.

Seriously?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Remember when people were saying they were going to throw the book at him, since he was waving his gun at undercover cops

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Remember when people were saying they were going to throw the book at him, since he was waving his gun at undercover cops

And least he got time. Plenty who have done worse get less.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/crisis_intervention_officer_pl.html#incart_river_mobile_home

quote:

Both he and Clark acknowledged that it wasn't ideal to have Clark serving as the crisis communicator while providing rifle cover, according to their grand jury testimony.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

Strickland decided against allowing a jury to rule on his case after it became clear during jury selection that many potential jurors were critical of guns and people who use them for purposes other than hunting.

lmao

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

ElCondemn posted:

Seriously?

I'm just happy he got anytime at all. One of my partners was at that protest.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
RIP to Eastern Washington https://twitter.com/HanfordSite/status/862025753071714305
https://twitter.com/HanfordSite/status/862043645591015424

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Murray emailed city employees today that he's not seeking reelection. This just got real interesting.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

This could sicken 10s of people!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

George posted:

Murray emailed city employees today that he's not seeking reelection. This just got real interesting.

All aboard the Nikkita Oliver train!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

lol this was a bit out of proportion.
Nothing was actually released. It's just a bunch of old, irradiated railroad cars in there anyways. They're going to dump a few tons of dirt on it and forget about it until the serious waste is taken care of.
And yet, I know people that have packed up their poo poo and left town (Richland).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol this was a bit out of proportion.
Nothing was actually released. It's just a bunch of old, irradiated railroad cars in there anyways. They're going to dump a few tons of dirt on it and forget about it until the serious waste is taken care of.
And yet, I know people that have packed up their poo poo and left town (Richland).
At work my boss theorized that there could be an explosion, because if you bang two pieces of (I can't remember if he said uranium or plutonium) together it could go critical, and a rock falling on whatever they have down there would be enough to set it off.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

At work my boss theorized that there could be an explosion, because if you bang two pieces of (I can't remember if he said uranium or plutonium) together it could go critical, and a rock falling on whatever they have down there would be enough to set it off.

lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rub two cooling rods together and start a fire.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Tax revenues from weed are projected to raise $3m for the city of Portland, and the mayor wants to spend almost all of it on cops: http://www.portlandmercury.com/news/2017/05/10/19003564/hall-monitor-from-the-pot-shop-to-the-cop-shop

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Spending pot money on police in the PNW. That sounds like something the average citizen is going to be totally OK with.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

anthonypants posted:

Tax revenues from weed are projected to raise $3m for the city of Portland, and the mayor wants to spend almost all of it on cops: http://www.portlandmercury.com/news/2017/05/10/19003564/hall-monitor-from-the-pot-shop-to-the-cop-shop

Vile.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Won't someone think of the children

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
They already made sure black people can't run pot businesses​, now they're making it a racist feedback loop.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anthonypants posted:

People being so painfully stupid about OMGATOMZZZ is really quite awful. I get sad every time I drive past those cooling towers south of Olympia.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

silicone thrills posted:

People being so painfully stupid about OMGATOMZZZ is really quite awful. I get sad every time I drive past those cooling towers south of Olympia.

From what I can tell that was less fear mongering about nuclear power and just the plants really weren't needed by the 80's as energy demand had peaked in the area, and cost overruns on the projects caused WPSS to go default on their bonds.

Although it is kind of goofy because the plant in Elma was like 75% finished which is a shame.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

As of today, PPB only has three confirmed kills this year. Not gonna hit a triple double (three unarmed and black) unless we have some money to lure away a free agent from Chicago or another elite city.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

http://katu.com/news/local/man-shot-killed-by-portland-police-officer-was-struggling-with-drug-addiction

quote:

Officer Ajir was closing in on Johnson when the man displayed a utility knife, police said.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uti...iw=1600&bih=805

Good job, PPB! It's really difficult to take in a man with a box cutter. Firearms are probably the only effective response to one inch blades!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

http://katu.com/news/local/man-shot-killed-by-portland-police-officer-was-struggling-with-drug-addiction

Good job, PPB! It's really difficult to take in a man with a box cutter. Firearms are probably the only effective response to one inch blades!
Firing several bullets from behind a shield seems like a proportionate response to a man with a knife who wouldn't sit down.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

xrunner posted:

I think you're reaching a bit on this.

Edit: coming in with a shield after the guy is already shot and down is ridiculous though.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 12, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

xrunner posted:

Well, I guess Portland is about to start protesting again.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

I think you're reaching a bit on this.

Edit: coming in with a shield after the guy is already shot and down is ridiculous though.

They're the ones who specified it was a "utility knife" after nearly 24 hours to get their statement ready. Should we not take them at their word that it was a utility knife (aka a box cutter)?

Granted, even if it was a long blade I'd like to believe that our local police are trained to deescalate a situation where somebody is brandishing a loving knife and ignoring commands (note that they didn't say he lunged towards them or pointed the knife at them or whatnot). Police are pretty good at the word game and making the situation sound as dangerous as possible when there has been a shooting. The language they've chosen is pretty suspect.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Well, I guess Portland is about to start protesting again.

That would be an objectively good thing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

xrunner posted:

Firearms are probably the only effective response to one inch blades!

Literally yes.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

xrunner posted:

They're the ones who specified it was a "utility knife" after nearly 24 hours to get their statement ready. Should we not take them at their word that it was a utility knife (aka a box cutter)?

Granted, even if it was a long blade I'd like to believe that our local police are trained to deescalate a situation where somebody is brandishing a loving knife and ignoring commands (note that they didn't say he lunged towards them or pointed the knife at them or whatnot). Police are pretty good at the word game and making the situation sound as dangerous as possible when there has been a shooting. The language they've chosen is pretty suspect.

That would be an objectively good thing.
You have a fair point on the language issue. I believe they would play up the situation as much as they could if the man was making a move against them.

I still don't think it's far fetched to consider a utility knife as a dangerous weapon though. They are sturdy to hold and you can dig in quite hard with them with a partially extended blade.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Steve Jorbs posted:

You have a fair point on the language issue. I believe they would play up the situation as much as they could if the man was making a move against them.

I still don't think it's far fetched to consider a utility knife as a dangerous weapon though. They are sturdy to hold and you can dig in quite hard with them with a partially extended blade.
I want you to really think about the following questions:
Is it a crime to own a utility knife?
What about brandishing the knife?
What about threatening someone with it?
What if the person getting threatened is a police officer?

Is the punishment for owning a utility knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for brandishing this knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening someone with a knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening a police officer with a knife the death penalty?

Is it necessary for the accused to receive a trial?
Is it the duty of the police officer to interpret the law to decide guilt?
Is it the duty of the police officer to carry out the punishment?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

Sure. But you're also presupposing that the inevitable outcome of brandishing a knife is attacking with that knife. I would counter by suggesting that when a man on the railroad tracks brandishes a knife, it may be more appropriate to back away to a safe distance and use the deescalation techniques that I'm sure our officers receive plenty of training on and take to heart. Many, if not all, of the arguments I've read turn on how quickly an armed assailant can get the drop on an officer, but there never seems to be any discussion on whether it's appropriate to assume that every single suspect that brandishes a weapon will actually use that weapon. It seems to be presupposed. Shoot as quickly as possible because otherwise that crazed guy with the boxcutter will surely charge and murder you!

Accretionist posted:

Literally yes.

Literally wrong.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If their description of events is even close to accurate --

quote:

Police were called to the Flavel Street Transit Station Wednesday night for a report of a man acting erratically and threatening people.

The first officer to respond [...] spoke with Johnson who was non-compliant and would not sit down, officials said.

Portland Police Officer Samson Ajir and Clackamas County Sheriff's Deputy AJ Ajir responded to the scene next. They are brothers.

Officials say Johnson then took off, first running westbound on Flavel and then eastbound, before getting on the MAX tracks and running over Johnson Creek.

Officer Ajir was closing in on Johnson when the man displayed a utility knife, police said. Officer Ajir fired his handgun several times, hitting Johnson.

-- then I'd put odds on it having been reasonable.

anthonypants posted:

I want you to really think about the following questions:
Is it a crime to own a utility knife?
What about brandishing the knife?
What about threatening someone with it?
What if the person getting threatened is a police officer?

Is the punishment for owning a utility knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for brandishing this knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening someone with a knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening a police officer with a knife the death penalty?

Is it necessary for the accused to receive a trial?
Is it the duty of the police officer to interpret the law to decide guilt?
Is it the duty of the police officer to carry out the punishment?

This framing applies to a safe and secure prisoner. You wouldn't execute me for having hit you with a baseball bat but you'd be justified in killing me to prevent being hit with a baseball bat.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh look, king county cops being dick bags yet again. At least this one got fired but as the article notes - he'd already had many compliants. It literally took poisoning the water of the homeless to get this poo poo head off the force.

http://komonews.com/news/local/king-co-deputy-fired-for-pepper-spray-violation-at-homeless-camp

quote:

On the day in question, the campers were gone but their property was still beneath the bridge. A fellow deputy said DeZiel pulled out his pepper spray and aimed it onto the nozzle of a water bottle.
“Then he said, ‘This is how we handled things in METRO,’” said Ryan Sprecher, one of the other deputies at the camp site that day.
When questioned, DeZiel told investigators it was his way to send a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Accretionist posted:

If their description of events is even close to accurate --

displayed a UTILITY KNIFE

Seriously. There are other ways to handle a guy who is holding a loving box cutter.

Edit to remove a rather inappropriate sentence.