Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

In happier films: Oh my god, Ernest & Celestine is adorable and heart-warming.

fuk yea.

I actually think the English Dub is better than the original. Not by much, but as I've mentioned, I 99.995% of the time prefer subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

General are u ok

Where's the giant, Mansley?!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I still think Summer's Puke is Winter's Delight is my favorite animation from last year, but The Red Turtle is a very good fairy tale.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a bluray sale at my local big media store, and I like to hemmorhage money like it's going out of style, so today I might go drop $$ on Bolt, Great Mouse Detective, Aristocats and Ernest & Celestine :h: Maybe a Ghibli bluray too

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

K. Waste posted:

I still think Summer's Puke is Winter's Delight is my favorite animation from last year, but The Red Turtle is a very good fairy tale.

Agreed strongly re: Red Turtle. I'm a huge novice at criticism so I don't know how to describe this, but I feel like it nailed the "fairy tale" feeling in a way that Kubo kind of swung and missed at.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Red Turtle kicks rear end!!!!! Everyone watch it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of Kubo:

https://twitter.com/AGuyWhoDraws/status/862092170425016320
https://twitter.com/AGuyWhoDraws/status/862093586602512384

:ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sounds like the Nike well ran dry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nah, word has it that LAIKA absolutely churns through animators, and that already most of the studio's American animators had left in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if they've come to realize this was always unsustainable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

smug n stuff posted:

Agreed strongly re: Red Turtle. I'm a huge novice at criticism so I don't know how to describe this, but I feel like it nailed the "fairy tale" feeling in a way that Kubo kind of swung and missed at.

I think the key difference is that Kubo is not so much aiming to be a fairy tale as it is straightforwardly about a character who performs fairy tales. In The Red Turtle, the protagonist doesn't question the spontaneous emergence of this fairy/selkie/swan maiden/whatever, that's just the plot. He accepts it because there's nobody else with whom to communicate. In Kubo, on the other hand, you have a protagonist who is dealing with a slightly more nuanced predicament, which is basically a crisis of faith: If there is no 'spirit,' no god or afterlife or whatever, and all social phenomena and morality are explicitly just constructs - performances, like the fairy tale - does this mean that life is meaningless? The answer that Kubo finds is, "No, of course not." What matters is the community of believers, itself, their solidarity, their inherent dignity and quality of life, etc. Kubo is not so much a fairy tale, but fantasy which is structured as a parable.

But The Red Turtle, even more straightforwardly, just is a fairy tale, and one that is very well realized aesthetically. It is not about a 'crisis of faith,' or a grand socio-moral struggle between the peasants and crypto-feudalistic 'gods' - it's about a guy who marries a turtle-fairy. Consequently, its ideological position is almost the opposite of Kubo. It doesn't truck at all with the 'crisis of faith' to begin with. It revels in nonsense and implicitly isolates its characters struggles' from any moral or social or political ethos outside of their interpersonal relationships. Turtle-Boy goes out and explores the world that his mom and dad told him about. But mom and dad have taught him absolutely nothing about fighting the power.

The ideal marriage of both of these aesthetic and thematic spaces, I reckon, is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Laika Come Home :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

it's about a guy who marries a turtle-fairy.

...careful, we don't want to give Hedrigall any more ideas about this whole thing. *waves at thread*

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Drifter posted:

...careful, we don't want to give Hedrigall any more ideas about this whole thing. *waves at thread*

I brought up Red Turtle a while back, one of the very few times I've posted ITT, and you made literally this exact same joke then.
It's still not very funny fyi

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if people stopped talking about Hedrigall's supposed kink altogether this thread would be better to read

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

I don't get it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

Nah, word has it that LAIKA absolutely churns through animators, and that already most of the studio's American animators had left in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if they've come to realize this was always unsustainable.

The funny thing is, on their Wikipedia page, the last three real pieces of news/goings on out of LAIKA, aside from Kubo, are announcing an increase in staff to build up to a one movie-per-year output (from 2 years ago), a couple of options they've taken out, and a movie with an announced release date of 53 weeks from tomorrow without a title, cast announcement, plot synopsis, or anything. Considering both Boxtrolls and Kubo were announced when they were 18 months out, clearly something was going on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
drat, I do love a cyclical nature, though...

Moving on, I enjoy the animation of old Soviet cartoons like this, it seems rotoscoped at times, but this cat's eyes are the epitome of :effort:
The cat is animated so well otherwise, too. Just a silly children's story about a misbehaving kitten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ728Xrbs1k

edit" I was on a kick of russian/soviet animation a while back after one of you guys recommended Mowgli - which was great - and stumbled across some science fiction story that I thought was really imaginative, similar in a way to Fantastic Planet. Well worth watching just for the cool designs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAmISW76Rk

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

also if we are being speculative and trashy in here I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that Travis Knight is a pain in the rear end to work with. he seems like the type of guy who is just fine at what he does, but since he comes from money he rises through the ranks very easily until he's at the top, at which point he becomes A Super rear end in a top hat.

This is entirely speculation based on the fact that his dad owns the company and he at one point released an ill-advised rap record that probably only got produced because he was rich. also i imagine most children of super-rich people are assholes.

edit: also i have a distinct memory of reading this article, which is probably too kind to Will Vinton, but still, Travis Knight really doesn't come off as someone who got where he is by hard work and talent.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 10, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DC Murderverse posted:

he at one point released an ill-advised rap record that probably only got produced because he was rich

Wait, what?

Wait... what?

What the... what?

edit:

Oh, Jesus christ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y14dDzGPFbs

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 10, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ehhh, it's the early 90s. I feel like anything you did short of dog fighting is kinda the norm and forgivable. Bands and denim jackets were like, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches back then.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Build-a-Boar posted:

Where's the giant, Mansley?!

That's one of my favorite lines in the movie. The way it's delivered is great. The seething anger, the way his voice goes just a bit higher than normal from stress, the implied "you loving dumbass," I love it all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

also if we are being speculative and trashy in here I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that Travis Knight is a pain in the rear end to work with. he seems like the type of guy who is just fine at what he does, but since he comes from money he rises through the ranks very easily until he's at the top, at which point he becomes A Super rear end in a top hat.

This is entirely speculation based on the fact that his dad owns the company and he at one point released an ill-advised rap record that probably only got produced because he was rich. also i imagine most children of super-rich people are assholes.

What I've heard from a former Will Vintonite here in Portland is that Travis is actually, like, savant-level talented at stop motion animation. He is incredibly skilled and has no patience for anyone else who isn't as good at it as he is.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

What I've heard from a former Will Vintonite here in Portland is that Travis is actually, like, savant-level talented at stop motion animation. He is incredibly skilled and has no patience for anyone else who isn't as good at it as he is.

Huh, I heard something similar from a similar source.
Pick, do you know Robin? :tinfoil:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Pick, is that a meatball on rapunzel's hair in your avatar?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Huh, I heard something similar from a similar source.
Pick, do you know Robin? :tinfoil:

Nope, but it's good to be validated haha.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Any LAIKA updates?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Any LAIKA updates?

Still playing fetch in doggy heaven

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still love this image.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:barf:

Thanks, now I can't watch Cars ever again :argh:

... I mean, thanks, now I can't watch Cars ever again :glomp:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Drifter posted:

I still love this image.

This has reminded me that ever since that NFBC animation marathon on TCM, it really disappoints me that all of the "Cars takes place after a human apocalypse" chat never leads to anyone posting the magnificent What On Earth! (1966), so let's fix that, now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaHArkYLsM

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

This has reminded me that ever since that NFBC animation marathon on TCM, it really disappoints me that all of the "Cars takes place after a human apocalypse" chat never leads to anyone posting the magnificent What On Earth! (1966), so let's fix that, now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaHArkYLsM

That's a fantastic video.

It's interesting how long the concept of "living cars" (and anatomical speculation of them) has been around. From a distance, cars really can seem to move under their own device. The fact that they don't is almost incongruous.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a fantastic video.

It's interesting how long the concept of "living cars" (and anatomical speculation of them) has been around. From a distance, cars really can seem to move under their own device. The fact that they don't is almost incongruous.

Lo & Behold very briefly touches upon the subject of whether or not the first machines to develop full artificial intelligence will be motor-vehicles, specifically because they will not only demonstrate the most autonomy, but require the most rigorous ethical programming (deciding, in cases of unavoidable property damage or casualty, what is the 'lesser of two evils,' etc.).

The thing that's cool about What on Earth! is that the implicit epilogue is that the inevitable Martian 'colonization' of Earth will basically be a perverse fusion of H. G. Wells's classic The War of the Worlds narrative and contemporary post-colonial propaganda, with the Martians leading the 'liberation' of the Earthlings from the parasitics humans. The meme Drifter posted pretty much spells out how the apocalyptic interpretation of Cars/Planes actually could make total sense, but instead of nuclear war or some poo poo, the interstitial period is something more like Prometheus. (This would also explain why even loving tractors are, like, no 'intelligent beings,' but loving cows. All life is just casually and non-confrontationally assimilated into by the xenomorphs.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really enjoyed that Laser Time episode about the Disney Afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for podcasts (or YouTube channels I guess) that specifically focus on Disney media - movies and tv that is, not so much the parks.

Looking for stuff to listen to at work :)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

Lo & Behold very briefly touches upon the subject of whether or not the first machines to develop full artificial intelligence will be motor-vehicles, specifically because they will not only demonstrate the most autonomy, but require the most rigorous ethical programming (deciding, in cases of unavoidable property damage or casualty, what is the 'lesser of two evils,' etc.).

The thing that's cool about What on Earth! is that the implicit epilogue is that the inevitable Martian 'colonization' of Earth will basically be a perverse fusion of H. G. Wells's classic The War of the Worlds narrative and contemporary post-colonial propaganda, with the Martians leading the 'liberation' of the Earthlings from the parasitics humans. The meme Drifter posted pretty much spells out how the apocalyptic interpretation of Cars/Planes actually could make total sense, but instead of nuclear war or some poo poo, the interstitial period is something more like Prometheus. (This would also explain why even loving tractors are, like, no 'intelligent beings,' but loving cows. All life is just casually and non-confrontationally assimilated into by the xenomorphs.)

It really reminded me of an observation I read in the Transformers thread where someone (hell, it might have been you) pointed out that when the alien transformers came to Earth, they scanned Earth media and identified luxury cars as the highest social strata.

There's a fear, not only of machines eventually becoming more valuable than human lives, but of not recognizing it when it happens.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Schwarzwald posted:

It really reminded me of an observation I read in the Transformers thread where someone (hell, it might have been you) pointed out that when the alien transformers came to Earth, they scanned Earth media and identified luxury cars as the highest social strata.

There's a real fear of machines becoming (objectively) more valuable than human lives.

See, also: Maximum Overdrive, a criminally underrated film, even by its own writer/director!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pick posted:

I stand corrected. Normally "rich kid gets put in command of thing he's never done before" does not end that way.

Chilly Tee is really embarrassing still, but I'd like to point out for those of you who are not rap fans:

The Bomb Squad is a legit production outfit that includes the members of loving Public Enemy. I cannot imagine how much money Phil Knight must have given Chuck D to work with his dumbass son.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can see where there would be issues with the studio, but if I were Phil Knight, I'd be stoked my son was making Academy Award nominated films instead of the shiftless horseshit he probably sees a lot of his friends' kids doing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I mean, I could make a politically charged comment about idiot sons of rich men, but I'll decline.

so on another note: I bought the Phoenix Saga from Osamu Tezuka, or least the parts that had gotten animated adaptations, the art is definitely of the period, it's a little hard to pick out how each story is connected at times, but they're very enjoyable and thought provoking. I'd definitely say animation nerds should check it out even if they're not into anime.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Folks that refuse to check out a piece of media based solely on the stigma of anime are reeeeaaaally doing themselves a disservice. Because Monster exists, even if North America says it doesn't.
Like my least favorite genre is probably action, but I'll watch a goddamn action film if it sounds like something I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's something very pleasing about the general aesthetic in late 70s anime that I can't quite put my finger on.