Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't really been following it/I remember watching some preview for it a few months ago and thinking it looked neat. It's called Birthdays: The Beginning

I think it's some kind of god/simearth type game. I actually didn't know there was a demo though so I'll go try that later

It's set in Green Hill Zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Palpek posted:

Prey's soundtrack owns when it actually plays in the game. A part of me would like some lighter mix of the music to play more often during gameplay.

There's this "ambient guitar" track that you can play at the bar in the Crew Quarters that I think is pretty dandy but I'll be damned if I can find a clip of it. I agree that the music balance seems a little off, but it's better than it was in the demo in that the battle music actually ends.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Overwatch is a billion dollar franchise already. It's doing OK. It's also pretty fun as long you aren't a snowflake who can't turn off or ignore the chat when you play with randos. Even then it's not even in the same arena as LoL or DOTA.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Overwatch is a phone game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like the chat in OW when it's just people making dumb jokes. I also like it when someone is tilting so I can make dumb jokes about them.

This is only in QP though, ranked chat is horrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
idk man because my experience was getting stomped by people who have been playing far longer than i have, i'd say it was pretty miserable.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

idk man because my experience was getting stomped by people who have been playing far longer than i have, i'd say it was pretty miserable.

That's the problem with overwatch now. All the casual players have dropped it so you only play with people who have pretty decent skill. The only thing you can do is suffer through until you get better acquainted with the game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've had a pretty even experience, both solo and in groups of 4 or so. When I say "even" I mean I get games where I get rolled but I get games where I do well too. I'd say my experience has been something resembling 50% even matches, 25% getting rolled and 25% being the roller. It does suck just getting smashed, though. I've liked the PvE events they've done this past year, it's a nice change of pace.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Overwatch was at its best for the first 3 days of the demo when no one knew how to do poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can anyone name other people who do music similar to this? Tia

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Can anyone name other people who do music similar to this? Tia

Washed Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYnfE5Cycg

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Macarius Wrench posted:

Overwatch was at its best for the first 3 days of the demo when no one knew how to do poo poo.

Not gonna argue with this. Mei was most fun to play around then.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I read a review for Birthdays the Beginning and it sounded pretty interesting. Species need the right habitat to evolve, which requires managing a bunch of factors (temperature, humidity, etc), and those factors will shift when you make changes to the terrain. I guess it'd change based on what plants you have in an ecosystem too? But apparently there's enough depth there to make it pretty challenging to cultivate your little cube planet and reach the point where mammals and humans start appearing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was super into Overwatch for a few months, and will probably get back into it whenever the next new release drought happens. Now I just check out the meme thread every so often

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm getting back on DS3 dlc now that I'm done with P5, and I'm enjoying it so far. I really dig the less than fair nature of the more bullshit areas of souls games, so it almost feels like the Ringed City dlc was designed with me in mind, or at least the dreg heap part.

I assume most players hated this dlc right?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've read reactions to it a while ago, turns out the Souls fandom is so fractured that Dark Souls 3 as a whole is both the best thing and the worst thing From has ever done

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Not many of will play Trackmania2 but it received a large gameplay changing update today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiigUIJuOnA

New blocks, new physics, Lagoon finally being added on May 23rd.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2017

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Red Bones posted:

I read a review for Birthdays the Beginning and it sounded pretty interesting. Species need the right habitat to evolve, which requires managing a bunch of factors (temperature, humidity, etc), and those factors will shift when you make changes to the terrain. I guess it'd change based on what plants you have in an ecosystem too? But apparently there's enough depth there to make it pretty challenging to cultivate your little cube planet and reach the point where mammals and humans start appearing.

This sounds really fun in theory but it also seems like the kind of thing I'd play for 20 minutes and forget about

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Aw heck, I didn't even know Trackmania Turbo was completely seperated from Maniaplanet. Kind of explains the lack of community, creation tools, or modded servers and such.
I fire back into Trackmania2 every now and then, so it's sweet that they're still getting love.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FillInTheBlank posted:

Not many of will play Trackmania2 but it received a large gameplay changing update today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiigUIJuOnA

New blocks, new physics, Lagoon finally being added on May 23rd.

Guess Turbo didn't to so well for them, huh? Not sure I've seen a dev go back and start developing an older game like that before.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Mordja posted:

Guess Turbo didn't to so well for them, huh? Not sure I've seen a dev go back and start developing an older game like that before.

Maniaplanet was never abandoned. TMTurbo was something they originally did just for consoles but it was easy enough for them to drop it on PC as well so they did as something simple for people who just want to play and TM and don't care about anything else.

They have always stated ManiaPlanet is where they want creation and creativity to be.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mutata posted:

Try crouching and spinning around next to them.

That never worked for me :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

That's the problem with overwatch now. All the casual players have dropped it

I highly doubt this is the case. In fact I'm willing to bet that competitive players are a distinct minority compared to people who do quickplay, arcade, or custom games.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I got my friend from Boston into overwatch just last week, and the couple of games I played grouped with him were against against groups like us, low level guys and 1-2 high playtime guys like myself. Most of them weren't even ranked in competitive like I was.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I highly doubt this is the case. In fact I'm willing to bet that competitive players are a distinct minority compared to people who do quickplay, arcade, or custom games.

I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say all the newbies have either quit or become more skilled and there aren't a lot of brand new players picking the game up.

The skill level at the lowest level of play is much higher now than it was at launch and thus makes it very hard to get started.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say all the newbies have either quit or become more skilled and there aren't a lot of brand new players picking the game up.

The skill level at the lowest level of play is much higher now than it was at launch and thus makes it very hard to get started.

Ehhhhhhh...maybe? I mean yeah, it's no longer ground floor where literally everybody has no idea what they're doing but, just to take an example from the competitive ladder, according to Blizzard only something like 10% of people who participate in comp are at Diamond rank or above. So plat, gold, silver, and bronze make up the majority of even tryhard players, and I can assure you that those ranks aren't really at a much higher level of skill than existed since the game was new. People are still bad at aiming, they still trickle in one at a time, they still ignore the objective, etc. Extrapolating out from there into the quickplay populace where teamwork is frequently a foreign concept, I'd say it's more than likely that while the overall skill level of the playerbase may have risen a non-zero amount that it hasn't become an insurmountable cliff, especially to anyone who's ever played any sort of FPS before.

Like at one point Blizzard was bragging about having a playerbase around 20 million, and even if that's shrunk by 50% since then (I'm sure it's shrunk, I have no idea by how much) I doubt the remainder have all put themselves on a pedestal above the reach of incoming newbies. I think it's more likely that sometimes you just get randomly matched up against people that are better than you which is a thing you encounter in pretty much any online multiplayer game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Let's just say it has the best "Quest Completed" music cue since Witcher 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh50fkIjng

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, you gotta use some lockstones in the rat areas to get treasures. But yeah, you can get plenty of them easy once you in the late game. Lockstones are only rare early on.

True, but for the most part it's nothing at all special. I think the only interesting thing is that spear, which would require either a lot of luck or blowing a ton of lockstones on trial/error unless you're using a guide. You get way more bang for your buck in general using lockstones in other areas.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone play any good video games recently?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

yes, persona 3

i could do without the :emo:i shoot myself in the head to show my conviction:emo: tho

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know it's not a video game, but I've recently started watching Better Call Saul. Mike is a good crime grandpa.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Deadly Premonition is $3 if you buy it through their boardgame Kickstarter that just went up.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jay Rust posted:

Prey is extremely good and it's in the top 5 games this year, easy

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Horizon Zero Dawn is my goty so far, but I'm burning on portfolio work full time so I don't have a ton of time to play lots of games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Persona 5 is very super good and I'm itching to do NG+ but forcing myself to wait so I don't burn out

I'm playing Tales of Berseria now and it is also good, but Persona 5 is probably gonna be my GOTY because I know my biases.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Does Uncharted 4 multi still have a decent player base?

I haven't played it in ages but loved UC2 multi so if it's improved that'd be swell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psychoJ posted:

Prey is extremely good and it's in the top 5 games this year, easy

Persona 5
Zelda
Hzd
Yakuza0
Resident evil

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ty

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shout outs to the x68000 boxart for final fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

shout outs to the x68000 boxart for final fight

Woah nostalgia, that got used for one of the earliest reviews of Final Fight I read when I was like woah look at those huge sprites :monocle:

• Locked thread