Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lundqvist didn't have a great series. He was incredible in games 1, 3, and 4, but otherwise not so much. On the other hand, Andy was only incredible in games 1 and 6, so.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Staal seems like a much bigger problem than AVs obsession with Tanner Glass.

Maybe I'm blind, but Staal seems like he could still be useful.....IF he's limited to sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. Which AV will not do, because ~~~veteran presence~~~

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - Clendenning/Holden?

That's assuming that buying out Girardi is even an option.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please no Shattenkirk.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

corn on the cop posted:

That's probably the worst series loss of the Lundqvist era, right? In terms of sheer "How did they gently caress that up?"

Knowing nothing about Rangers hockey beyond how he's one of the best goalies not to have a ring, I'm going with yes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Hello, sweet oblivion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fits posted:

msg has a special property tax exemption that immediately ends if rangers or knicks ever play a home game outside msg

hahaha this is a real thing that exists?

:capitalism:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

That's probably the worst series loss of the Lundqvist era, right? In terms of sheer "How did they gently caress that up?"

3 out of the 4 stanley cup finals games were lost in ot

i'm sure they would've lost in the conference finals this time

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

it started because circa 1980 the threat of the tenants moving to jersey was real

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/never-forget-madison-square-garden-hasnt-paid-property-taxes-in-over-30-years-8194924

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 10, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi RAS :kheldragar:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
goddamn I don't think I can take another year of Girardi and Staal on D

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

goddamn I don't think I can take another year of Girardi and Staal on D

reading this post made me very upset

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So was Marc Staal always bad or did he just get old and slow ever since he got concussed by his brother?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
rangers are a dumb butt team and AV is a dumb butt coach that the rangers are stuck with because every other option available would literally be a nightmare in comparison

That is seriously one of the most embarrassing series losses I've ever seen. The Rangers scored first in 5? games, blew two late leads and lost those games in OT, gave up another GWG late in the third, and came back from down 0-2 (when it should've been at least 1-1 if not 2-0) only to blow game 5 and lose game 6 at home. For all intents and purposes, that could've been a sweep and instead the team that was outplayed for a solid 80% of that series isn't even pushed to 7.

e: also lol ottawa in the ECF this playoff format tho

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Xtanstic posted:

So was Marc Staal always bad or did he just get old and slow ever since he got concussed by his brother?

He's been broken since the hit from his brother. Before that he was pretty drat good.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Jordan7hm posted:

I met the guy who Montreal fired (or didn't renew his contract or whatever) last off-season and I think he's probably really smart and I totally can see why he would get fired because I don't think he had a filter.

The big takeaway for me from that analytics conference is that the biggest barrier to fancy stats being more widely accepted is going to be the people doing the work. They're either too focused on the numbers or too academic.

If you're real smart though, Sportlogiq was using the conference as a recruiting pitch. They are hiring right now and they made that super clear.

e: here's the Sun writeup about the conference: http://www.torontosun.com//2017/05/08/what-we-learned-at-the-ottawa-hockey-analytics-conference

They recorded everything but sadly I don't see it online.

Hmm....they have an office close by...

Thanks for the info mang

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

it was originally only supposed to be for 10 years but they didnt write that part into the actual law, so welp

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/862129697005686787

:drat:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Glambags posted:

reading this post made me very upset

it's crazy to think that the Rangers had one of the best d units just a few years ago. Ugh.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Rip rangers

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
God damnit, that was such a winnable series.

God drat it.

:sigh:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

You let the Sens of all teams beat you. Shame. Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

yellowcar posted:

Do you really want to go down this path my dude?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Do you really want to go down this path my dude?

No because it makes me feel worse.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

yellowcar posted:

No because it makes me feel worse.

:respek:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Xtanstic posted:

The second one. Plus when his eye got sliced up that didn't help either.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So, Sens-Oilers SCF?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CommaToes posted:

So, Sens-Oilers SCF?

I wouldn't mind it, if only to see Bettman cry. That alone, makes it worthwhile.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

Knowing nothing about Rangers hockey beyond how he's one of the best goalies not to have a ring, I'm going with yes.
I just looked this up. Here's goalies ranked by wins all-time and here they are by playoff wins. Cujo is the only goalie without a cup higher than him on either list, by 49 wins all time, and only 2 playoff wins.

:smith:

Edit: Though I did learn Tony Esposito was on the 69 Habs and has a ring. :unsmith:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
cujo should be in the hall of fame but the hall has stupid standards for goalies

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

deoju posted:

I just looked this up. Here's goalies ranked by wins all-time and here they are by playoff wins. Cujo is the only goalie without a cup higher than him on either list, by 49 wins all time, and only 2 playoff wins.

:smith:

Edit: Though I did learn Tony Esposito was on the 69 Habs and has a ring. :unsmith:

1) Luongo has more regular season wins, and has no ring.
2) If you played for the Habs at some point between 1950 and 1979 and you didn't get a ring, you have the right to feel that the universe is out to get you and specifically you.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Sorry Rangers fans, if Pit was gonna get knocked out then I'd have pulled hard for Lundqvist to go all the way.

Anderson.and Karlsson are cool, but Melnyk and Dorion are such a pair of twits. Go Pens/Caps winner vs Predators in the SCF.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Schlesische posted:

1) Luongo has more regular season wins, and has no ring.
2) If you played for the Habs at some point between 1950 and 1979 and you didn't get a ring, you have the right to feel that the universe is out to get you and specifically you.

Oops, you're right, I overlooked Bobby Lou. I was legit ignorant Esposito was a Hab at one point. That's like when I learned Orr was a Blackhawk, or Neely was a Canuck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fits posted:

it was originally only supposed to be for 10 years but they didnt write that part into the actual law, so welp

hahaha good job New York

I made a draft thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819952

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
To the people laughing about the Rangers home "away" game, doesn't this benefit them? They effectively now get one more home game than anyone else.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Xtanstic posted:

He's a physically gifted defenseman who was great at his physical/scoring peak (age 23-24) but missed significant portions of two seasons with major injuries (concussion+eye) so his experience peak (age ~27) was hampered by that. Once he got back on track from missing practice/conditioning due to those injuries, age was working against him, his team and the league's style of play was changing away from his forte, and the Rangers also picked up a star #1 LHD (McDonagh) who replaced him. His role changed, from Torts leaning on him for as many minutes as possible, to AV doing the opposite of sheltering him. He's good with positioning, using his stick and body. He's not good at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Staal never had a lot of offensive talent, and the eye injury definitely didn't help. He's pretty good at knowing when to join the rush, but very weak at quick movements with the puck, both passing and peeling away from guys to protect it and move it.

Hello, offseason. I'm not mad about the Rangers defense and I'm impressed by how the team has creatively reworked its lineup every year and gotten a pretty good result.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Overwined posted:

To the people laughing about the Rangers home "away" game, doesn't this benefit them? They effectively now get one more home game than anyone else.

its negligible compared to how much they're saving in tax money.

quote:

For the tax year that begins in July, the Garden will save “roughly $54 million” in property taxes, according to George Sweeting, the deputy director of the city’s Independent Budget Office. Last year, the savings were $17 million. In 2002, it saved $6.9 million. The deal is now worth nearly eight times more because the value of land in Manhattan has soared and because the Garden has invested heavily in renovating the building.

Cumulatively, the Garden has saved $350 million since 1982.

thats the 2014 figure so add another ~$150 million to the total

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Overwined posted:

Yeah it benefits them, I think we're more laughing at how absurd it is.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
I swear one of the games at Yankee Stadium they were considered the home team

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

I swear one of the games at Yankee Stadium they were considered the home team

All the media probably would have labelled it as such, but by the letter of the deed the Devils and then Isles were the home teams.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

yellowcar posted:

right after they beat the Habs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

iospace posted:

I wouldn't mind it, if only to see Bettman cry. That alone, makes it worthwhile.

10 years ago we had the lowest-rated SCF with Sens/Ducks

That's still in play

• Locked thread