Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm a little confused...what counts as taking damage when Living Weapon is activated? I swear I've gotten the Crusher title on a couple of bosses LW was used on, but others it doesn't seem to apply. White Tiger mauled me and I got the title for example, but Great Centipede spat his toxin at me and I didn't get Crusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a good strategy for WOTS Gourd? I want the magatama but motherfuckers are getting me down because living weapon build is harder to maintain against man sized enemies with block.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
The gourd can return right the gently caress back where they came from :mad:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Is there a good strategy for WOTS Gourd? I want the magatama but motherfuckers are getting me down because living weapon build is harder to maintain against man sized enemies with block.

Extraction and Pleiades for rapid Living Weapon charging, elemental shots to fill your Amrita gauge in between Living Weapon bursts, Sacred Brushes to keep your talisman supply up. Good luck!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So my katana owns. 1700 attack rating at +14, due to +A in spirit scaling. Far from infinite living weapon but hits like a truck when I engage birdy mode, and even my blood cleaver with 1.2k rating rips through people. It's an amazing weapon against Revenants in that status as it destroys their ki bar - unlike the katana LW which they can guard all day.

Unfortunately due to the level difference in my katana and what's dropping in the fifth region, I'm looking at 22 million to go +15. Even with the Centipede spirit that'll take a while, but as they say in for a penny, in for a pound... :shepicide:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I finished the main campaign of Nioh. This is a really great game, my absolute favorite of the Souls-like games, and I can't wait to see what they do in the sequel (American Revolution fighting manitou, I hope)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I finished the main campaign of Nioh. This is a really great game, my absolute favorite of the Souls-like games, and I can't wait to see what they do in the sequel (American Revolution fighting manitou, I hope)

You in with the DLC? I'm still in the first area out of 3(?) in the first DLC region but so far the content has been at least on par with the regular game. Plus if you feel like tackling any of the post-credits bonus missions you're gonna need some divine gear because the way the game ups the difficulty post NG is to start throwing more and more dudes at you. The focus shifts from 1-on-1 honor dueling strong enemies to crowd control and buffs/debuffs/exploits.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like that your NG run is one filled with noble duels and Great Honour, then you head into NG+/++ and it's just how do I loving cheat, gently caress this.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Uhh should I have a weapon higher than +1 at the start of the DLC? It feels like I should, everything takes forever to kill.

Also, how the hell do you get a weapon higher than +1??

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guw posted:

Uhh should I have a weapon higher than +1 at the start of the DLC? It feels like I should, everything takes forever to kill.

Also, how the hell do you get a weapon higher than +1??

Soul Match a +1 with another +1. Or a +2 or higher, if you don't have another +1.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Soul Match a +1 with another +1. Or a +2 or higher, if you don't have another +1.

Of any weapon to any weapon? Type to type? Same exact to same exact? I could've sworn I've tried the first two…

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Any weapon to any weapon. Matching the type and make makes soul matching cheaper but you can do it either way.

Also I just went through the dlc starting with a 146+1 axe and ending with a 150+3 axe so you're probably about the right level. You can't go three steps without unlocking a new shortcut in those levels so feel free to pop a bunch of ninjutsu/onmyo on regular fights.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, uh, Path of the Demon Orachi.

:catstare:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can make some busted poo poo once you fully understand how the blacksmith works and have the cash.

I'm slowly trying to get it to +20.

poptart_fairy posted:

I did a coop session in that level and Kelly destroyed us with the grab attack that healed all the damage we did to him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dread to think how many hitpoints some of those bosses have in co-op, oye.

However since I've gone up a couple of PVP tiers I keep running into the cookie cutter bow/dual wield builds, so I might to do have more co-op stuff for my glory hit. :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I PvP idiots significantly better equipped than myself and drop them with merciless barrage in my fly rear end warrior of the east gear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

You got past the first three heads? Load yourself down with as many elemental shots and sacred brushes as possible and go sniper on his rear end.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

I PvP idiots significantly better equipped than myself and drop them with merciless barrage in my fly rear end warrior of the east gear.

Oh, I still have my PVP gear stashed away; 450 toughness plus Moonlit Shadow with the Odachi was absurdly cheap, it's just become a bit of a slog. People aren't doing silly emotes or goofing around anymore; going in for the quick, cheesy Spin2Win victories which sucks the fun out of it IMO.

Darth Walrus posted:

You got past the first three heads? Load yourself down with as many elemental shots and sacred brushes as possible and go sniper on his rear end.

Oh that's the plan, definitely. Clearing up some of the post game stuff to improve my gear - kind of annoyed I spent twenty million on upgrading my sword's level, only to get a 200 +15 one drop in the next mission :v: - then taking another run at him.

I'm dreading the day they implement an endurance version of that level where you have to slay Orochi, Kelley and Oda all in one run.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why is soul match so freaking expensive
christ tome, I just want to get armor set bonuses but you want half of my entire gold stash to raise this one ninja mask a couple levels?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Augus posted:

why is soul match so freaking expensive
christ tome, I just want to get armor set bonuses but you want half of my entire gold stash to raise this one ninja mask a couple levels?

I don't remember what it is in specific but the cost formula takes something like the equipment's original level or the number of times its been soul matched which makes soul matching the same piece of gear prohibitively expensive. I think it's to encourage using new loot drops rather than just sticking with your old standbys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Raising levels boosts the cost to a massive degree - like I was saying earlier, to take my level 189 weapon to level 200 cost me twenty two million. Now it's level 200 the upgrades cost, at most, one million.

It's mostly for tweaking and optimising your end game gear. Don't fret a huge amount about it early on, especially if you're still in NG.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Takes No Damage posted:

You in with the DLC? I'm still in the first area out of 3(?) in the first DLC region but so far the content has been at least on par with the regular game. Plus if you feel like tackling any of the post-credits bonus missions you're gonna need some divine gear because the way the game ups the difficulty post NG is to start throwing more and more dudes at you. The focus shifts from 1-on-1 honor dueling strong enemies to crowd control and buffs/debuffs/exploits.

Yeah I have the DLC. I played a little bit of it. I really like how it picks up the story immediately after the end of the campaign.

It seems pretty good. I already fought a new enemy type and he kind of kicked my rear end. I abused my Onmyo magic to fuckin' crush him.

A couple of criticisms I have about the game:

The "instant cast" mystic arts come too late in the game. It literally refines those entire subsystems and makes them viable as offense (Magic or Ninjitsu), seems dumb to hold them until the back 1/6th of the game.

I wish there was better loot management systems.

I wish there were more weapons.

Other than that, huge fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have found it. Two in the Shadows has no comparison when it comes to utter horse poo poo. loving hell - they both drain ki and amrita gauge with hit, have buffed speed, can easily one shot you and will spam items if they're not whirlwinding you in melee.

It's not even decent AI, it's just two assholes with massive buffs.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I just reached the sixth region on WotStrong and Queen's eye isn't unlocked. Do I access that the same way as unlocking the previous areas, or just through the main missions?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Through main missions. I can't remember which, exactly.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that mission appeared for me until after the credits. Thought it was because it acts as an epilogue for NG as well as setting up the DLC.

This is my new favorite dual sword combo for erasing human/parryable enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyjZXAaak

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just going to put this game down for awhile, it's just grind,grind,grind to make the numbers bigger.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

Just going to put this game down for awhile, it's just grind,grind,grind to make the numbers bigger.

Yeah, although notably that's at the end of a pretty sizable campaign of straightforward souls stuff.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

yeah, i wouldn't mind the gold gain getting amped up or something, im really struggling to get into way of the demon because i can hardly damage anything but i can't get better gear without progressing in path of the demon so im just kinda stuck here

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Path of the Demon throws a lot of gold at you if you get into the habit of selling divine items. It's sell a shame they didn't go the Diablo route and make that sort of grind completely unnecessary, though. Maybe have a yokai made of gold that drops 200 million when you stab him or something.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's the restless spirits mission that gives out 1.5 million in WoTD. You can do it super easily if you cheese it with onmyo stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unfortunately that runs into the problem of having an easy way to farm money when you've reached a point that money isn't such a huge bottleneck. :v:

The initial jump from Strong to Demon is huge, but does level out pretty quickly. Awaiting Path of the Shogunite to come with the next DLC and make this redundant though.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I found that if you're under-leveled or lacking money or gear after WotStrong you can farm A Request From Ginchiyo on WotD for some pretty easy xp/gold/items. Just sit back and let her kill everything, or if you have some semblance of honor equip a high elemental effect weapon and stunlock everything with confusion once she procs her lightning debuff.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

KingShiro posted:

You're only doing it to yourself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow, uh, they sure were proud of that first boss design huh?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you fight him probably 6 times a game if you do all the side missions. The upswing is you get really good at it, by the time I was at the boss rush in the last mission I almost got Crusher for him.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

models are hard tbh, and i think that they use him in good places in general. it reminds me a lot of the way they used the bull demons from ds1, except a lot better. they needed a big dumb enemy but didn't really have the time to make a new one from scratch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

models are hard tbh, and i think that they use him in good places in general. it reminds me a lot of the way they used the bull demons from ds1, except a lot better. they needed a big dumb enemy but didn't really have the time to make a new one from scratch.

The issue is that by the end of the game you'll have fought Onyroki close to a dozen times, but other Yokai bosses they could have re-used once, twice in the case of the repeats during the Demon King's Castle mission. Like I don't see why they could have used Hino-enma or the Yuki-onna again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The issue is that by the end of the game you'll have fought Onyroki close to a dozen times, but other Yokai bosses they could have re-used once, twice in the case of the repeats during the Demon King's Castle mission. Like I don't see why they could have used Hino-enma or the Yuki-onna again.

Those are unique enemies with their own personalities, especially the Yuki-onna. The onryoki, on the other hand, is a generic big grudge spirit. This is also why the nue shows up a lot - it's just a rare sort of yokai, not an individual person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Those are unique enemies with their own personalities, especially the Yuki-onna. The onryoki, on the other hand, is a generic big grudge spirit. This is also why the nue shows up a lot - it's just a rare sort of yokai, not an individual person.

Except they're also types of Yokai and could have easily just been re-used as generic mini-bosses.