Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Poor Watson. He's going to throw so many picks. He needs a season to learn the offense before he runs out there chucking 49mph balls around against NFL corners. He can be good but needs complete familiarity with the offense before he attempts that in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The very definition of "roster churn."

https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/860565478195970049

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They should be churning, they had one of the worst rosters in the NFL last year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They should be churning, they had one of the worst rosters in the NFL last year.

"At least we're not Jets fans!"

Edit if you're curious:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Coldforge posted:

Edit if you're curious:

49er's loving collect dudes from my small school (Appalachian State). The only 2 NFL starters we currently have are there. I'm really surprised nobody picked up on our running back in UDFA dude holds conference records galore and put up 1000 yards on an injury riddled season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I went to gifted school and our best athlete is an Olympic gold medal ice dancer. But Zurlon Tipton (RIP) destroyed us in basketball on the reg.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

I went to gifted school and our best athlete is an Olympic gold medal ice dancer. But Zurlon Tipton (RIP) destroyed us in basketball on the reg.

We also beat Jon Jansen in basketball once

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My school was not known for basketball and football but we had a really good soccer and baseball team. I know one guy ended up playing for the LA Galaxy and another played for the Twins. I happened to play basketball and our team was poo poo. We were way undersized to begin with and to add to the problem, the big guys we did have were soft as hell. We would usually play in a couple tournaments before the season started and in this particular one, we went up against Oak Ridge and Ryan Anderson. We got loving wrecked. He was basically scoring at will anytime he got the ball and was a dominating presence on defense.

Interesting fact about Ryan Anderson. He took that Oak Ridge team to the California DII Championships held at Arco Arena in Sacramento, where they were nearly upset by a team from Turlock, CA led by none other than Colin Kaepernick. Kaep had 34 points in that game and Anderson had 50.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

MrSargent posted:

Interesting fact about Ryan Anderson. He took that Oak Ridge team to the California DII Championships held at Arco Arena in Sacramento, where they were nearly upset by a team from Turlock, CA led by none other than Colin Kaepernick. Kaep had 34 points in that game and Anderson had 50.

Even in high school, Kaep couldn't finish

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I mean, Oak Ridge was ranked #1 and Kaep's team was ranked #16. It would have been a staggering upset.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

kiimo posted:

Poor Watson. He's going to throw so many picks. He needs a season to learn the offense before he runs out there chucking 49mph balls around against NFL corners. He can be good but needs complete familiarity with the offense before he attempts that in my opinion.

Based on what I've watched of him I'm starting to see him as potentially Matt Schaub with wheels

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

MrSargent posted:

My school was not known for basketball and football but we had a really good soccer and baseball team. I know one guy ended up playing for the LA Galaxy and another played for the Twins. I happened to play basketball and our team was poo poo. We were way undersized to begin with and to add to the problem, the big guys we did have were soft as hell. We would usually play in a couple tournaments before the season started and in this particular one, we went up against Oak Ridge and Ryan Anderson. We got loving wrecked. He was basically scoring at will anytime he got the ball and was a dominating presence on defense.

:smug: Ryan Anderson on the basketball team and Austin Collie on the Football team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Edit if you're curious:

I thought I was losing my mind because Northwestern has never had a player named Samuel Van Ginkel-- that's absurd even for Northwestern, so I looked him up and he went to NAIA Northwestern College and I really hope he just told someone there he played for Northwestern.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MrSargent posted:

I mean, Oak Ridge was ranked #1 and Kaep's team was ranked #16. It would have been a staggering upset.

Look at this guy letting facts get in the way of a good narrative

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Chicago Cubs still have the draft rights to righty flamethrower Kaepernick and nothing would make me happier than Kaep out-Tebowing Tebow.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's a guy who currently plays for the Rams that was a year ahead of me in High School. Our team was mediocre and he didn't tear things up back then, guess he must have gotten good in college.

Edit : I guess he was all-state? But I really don't remember the team ever being good while I was there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Intruder posted:

Based on what I've watched of him I'm starting to see him as potentially Matt Schaub with wheels

Careful or the Stockholm will seep in.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
One person, ever, went to my high school and played in the NFL. He was a TE for one year in Seattle, in the seventies. Played in exactly two games. The number being so low is kinda surprising because my high school has always had a ton of students so it could reasonably be expected to have more good players, but apparently not

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

How dare any of you question Patrick Mahones, let today be known and rejoiced for generations to come as the day Mahones started his 7 time superbowl champion career.

KC Star posted:

Indeed, as Mahomes’ first practice as a Chief featured about what you’d expect. He showed off the gun early on by repeatedly attempting to slice the ball through a strong wind during a drill — it wobbled some, but it often got there — and there were some impressive throws and tight spirals, particularly into the deep and intermediate portions of the field.

There were also some strike-zone issues, spirals thrown so hard they were dropped at point-blank range, and a handful of questionable attempts into coverage.

[...]

That’s why some teams, in an effort to help rookie quarterbacks, reduce some of the offensive verbiage, or ask the quarterback’s teammates to carry on more of that burden.

But Mahomes won’t be getting any help like that, it appears, so he better keep his head in the playbook for the foreseeable future.

“That’s not the way we roll,” said Reid, who shook his head at the sheer notion of reducing the verbiage. “He’s got to learn. There’s only one way to learn. We’re going to give it to you ... learn it.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article149092499.html

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

adaz posted:

How dare any of you question Patrick Mahones, let today be known and rejoiced for generations to come as the day Mahones started his 7 time superbowl champion career.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article149092499.html

gently caress giving them a year or two; if a first rounder isn't great in their first practice, they're a guaranteed bust.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The only football player of real note from my tiny county in southern WV was Curt Warner.

He almost ended the football programs at every other High School in the surrounding area by his junior year according to my Dad. No one could touch him and by his upperclassmen years, no one wanted to try.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Careful or the Stockholm will seep in.

Might as well hope for the best since the team's window is inextricably tied with how Watson does in the NFL

By the time they move on from him if he fails, it'll be closed

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

:smug: Ryan Anderson on the basketball team and Austin Collie on the Football team

gently caress Oak Ridge. We had Academic Decath....**receives swirly**

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm gonna post my Oak Ridge gaudy section championship football ring once I find it

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Well well well, looky here:

https://overthecap.com/2018-compensatory-draft-picks-update-592017

Huh, tied for the most

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Give Me Another Third For Whitworth

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How is he a 5 while his contract is more aligned with 3?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

How is he a 5 while his contract is more aligned with 3?

If I remember correctly the most you can get is a fifth rounder if the player has played for a single team for 10 years.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How did Jabaal Sheard get that much money? It looks like only one year has any guarantees but just pure desperation on the Colts' part?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Why isn't Britt on there? Was he cut or something before FA began? Looks like he would be a 4th or 5th.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Michael Corleone posted:

Why isn't Britt on there? Was he cut or something before FA began? Looks like he would be a 4th or 5th.

Whitworth and Barwin are going to cancel out any free agents the Rams lost.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Getting a third for Bouye is pretty cool considering he was a UDFA and didn't do anything until this season

The uncool part is he's really good and now plays for a division rival, even if he's grossly overpaid for his track record and if he turns into a pumpkin it'll be "lol the Jags" all over again

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills lose like a billion players to free agency this year and still don't get a comp pick because they signed, like, Vlad Ducasse and Stephen Hauschka.

Unreal.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
DJ Hayden and Menelik Watson are, in fact, comp pick fodder just like I said they would be.

:smuggo:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm pretty surprised Martellus Bennett is only worth a 5th

But either way the Pats once again play nth dimensional chess, trade a 5th for Bennett and ride him to a Superbowl win then get a 5th back

Nov 6, 2002

I think he ended up signing a pretty modest contract in the end.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, I thought his contract would be a couple million more per year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wasn't he initially asking for Gronk money?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

Wasn't he initially asking for Gronk money?

I think during the season, that was what people were saying he was looking for in an extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

He signed a 3 year, $21 million contract, but only $6.3 million is guaranteed.

Gronk money would be around $9 million a year. He may not be the best comparison though, because of his injury concerns he took a below market deal in exchange for getting a long deal - 6 years.

• Locked thread