Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I got the details from here. It's hard not to be at fault when you're the one rear-ending someone, but the other guy was 87 years old and not wearing a seatbelt, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did something stupid to cause it.

For her to end up in a ditch and for him to hit a utility pole and flip his car onto its roof... That doesn't happen in like 99.999999% of rear end accidents. My guess would be he was in front of her, tried to flip an illegal u-turn, got broadsided and she tried to swerve out of the way and went into a ditch after hitting the car.

That's just a guess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ALFbrot posted:

I, too, remember the front office directing Starling Marte to use performance-enhancing drugs, and Jung-Ho Kang to drunk drive a ton and also maybe rape a lady, and dipping Jameson Taillon's cups in radioactive waste, and also they used the talent-sucking basketball from Space Jam on Andrew McCutchen, and they keep telling Gregory Polanco that if he ever shows too many signs of reaching his gargantuan potential they'll shoot a dog in front of him

They've let go of piles of talent since the end of the 2015 season without doing anything to shore up the team, happy accidents like Ivan Nova excepted. They've shown no willingness to open their wallet and compensate for unforeseen events like Kang or Marte.

The ownership group hasn't done a loving thing to improve the team since winning 98 in 2015.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"Oh man, I can't believe all these terrible things are happening to my team. If only I were in some sort of position to compensate for these terrible events!" - Pirates ownership and front office

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nick Rivers posted:

I was looking up Harvey on BBref after all this talk about him and found his Most Similar Player at age 26 was this dude with a really awesome name:
Old Hoss Radbourn

Old Hoss has over 300 career wins despite only playing 11 years, and only winning 7 games one of those years.

One year he went 59-12 with a 1.38 era, he started 73 games and every game he started was a complete game, and he pitched 678.2 innings.

Baseball is cool and the olden days were wacky.

Do yourself a favor and read "59 in '84" by Edward Achorn.
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825875/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

He liked pitching, drinking, and flipping off cameras.

When you're done, read Achorn's other book as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Beer-Whiskey-Barkeeps-Immigrants/dp/1610393775/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
This picture off Deadspin is everything

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

I hope this dog, being dry, is some kind of weather predictor. Got tickets to tonight's game in hopes that Sano obliterates another ball and the forecast for rain is... well, it's weird, to say the least.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Intruder posted:

Are there any rules saying dogs can't play baseball?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah, a month like this under Doug Melvin would have had him selling everything out for a couple pieces to try a playoff run.

While I agree with you on the Melvin part (he tried to re-build quickly to win for too long after 2011), I find it odd that he is still with the organization as senior advisor. Whatever that means though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ALFbrot posted:

I, too, remember the front office directing Starling Marte to use performance-enhancing drugs, and Jung-Ho Kang to drunk drive a ton and also maybe rape a lady, and dipping Jameson Taillon's cups in radioactive waste, and also they used the talent-sucking basketball from Space Jam on Andrew McCutchen, and they keep telling Gregory Polanco that if he ever shows too many signs of reaching his gargantuan potential they'll shoot a dog in front of him

Fun fact: At least three if not all four of the baseball posters at the meetup this weekend admitted that we have one regular SAS poster on ignore. It was Tayne for all of us.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pancakes posted:

Fun fact: At least three if not all four of the baseball posters at the meetup this weekend admitted that we have one regular SAS poster on ignore. It was Tayne for all of us.

It takes a lot of strength to admit that you have a guy who posts six times a year on ignore. Bravo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Magneuris Sierra has insane speed, but is somehow unable to regularly steal bases. What the gently caress is wrong with the Cardinals organization when it comes to baserunning?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Magneuris Sierra has insane speed, but is somehow unable to regularly steal bases. What the gently caress is wrong with the Cardinals organization when it comes to baserunning?

I assume Rickey Henderson issued some kind of curse against the entire organization just in case Lou Brock ever decided to come back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Some guys just don't have the knack and coaching can only help so much. Bo freaking Jackson wasn't very good at stealing bases, and there were other guys on those 80s Royals teams that stole bases at will.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

remember when the cubs were good at baseball

It wasn't just Coors yesterday, Arrieta clearly has something wrong with him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

remember when the cubs were good at baseball

The Cardinals back on top...

:negative:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Guys, just use archive search and you can find the original thread.

:downsrim:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Citizen Tayne posted:

It takes a lot of strength to admit that you have a guy who posts six times a year on ignore. Bravo.

Do you have a google alert or something

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Poque posted:

Do you have a google alert or something

I come here to share news and views on my favorite baseball team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, i.e. that the ownership and management let a very good team sink by being cheap. Anyone who gives a poo poo about decent baseball in the NL should be upset at how hosed this team was over the course of two years.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Citizen Tayne posted:

I come here to share news and views on my favorite baseball team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, i.e. that the ownership and management let a very good team sink by being cheap. Anyone who gives a poo poo about decent baseball in the NL should be upset at how hosed this team was over the course of two years.

You're not wrong! As much as I want the Cubs to win I'd prefer the pirates over any other alternatives in the division

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, knock it off. There's no need to get heated.

The above post is fine though, made while this one was

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Poque posted:

You're not wrong! As much as I want the Cubs to win I'd prefer the pirates over any other alternatives in the division

The Pirates got Ivan Nova for $7m a year and that's a christmas miracle, but that's the only example I can think of since the end of 2015 where the ownership and management put money out to make the team better. In that time they've lost in excess of 75 HR/season.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Alright, knock it off. There's no need to get heated.

The above post is fine though, made while this one was

You should let I'd make regional or divisional threads so you can confine all the east coast smack talk between the Yankees and all the bad teams to one thread, a midwestern thread for the Cubs and Pirates, and a California thread for the west coast.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

There's a "feel" for stealing that raw speed can help make up for, but can't replace. Brett Gardner has never been as good of a base stealer as he should be because he just doesn't get good jumps or know when to run, etc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

exploded mummy posted:

You should let I'd make regional or divisional threads so you can confine all the east coast smack talk between the Yankees and all the bad teams to one thread, a midwestern thread for the Cubs and Pirates, and a California thread for the west coast.

Excuse me, Seattle is clearly part of the West Coast. :colbert:

:smith:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stealing off a lefty is straight up gambling because they are allowed to balk with impunity.

I hate lefties.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

While I agree with you on the Melvin part (he tried to re-build quickly to win for too long after 2011), I find it odd that he is still with the organization as senior advisor. Whatever that means though.

Mark Attanasio strikes me as the kind of guy who really values loyalty and service and really struggles to cut people loose. Think about the interviews he gives in the middle of sub-500 seasons where he's still so sure if things break right we can make the playoffs. I think replacing Doug as GM is genuinely the hardest thing he's ever had to do and he just couldn't bring himself to totally fire someone who's been loyal to the org and brought us to the playoffs multiple times. I imagine it's mostly an honorary position.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Stealing off a lefty is straight up gambling because they are allowed to balk with impunity.

I hate lefties.

This happened to Villar last night. Pitcher straight up had his knee all the way into his chest in his pitching motion before he just flung to 1st and picked him off. You can't just be up there balking like that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a "feel" for stealing that raw speed can help make up for, but can't replace. Brett Gardner has never been as good of a base stealer as he should be because he just doesn't get good jumps or know when to run, etc.

I agree with this, but from top-to-bottom, the Cardinals as an organization have been awful on the bases the past several years. Something is clearly going on with the coaching that innate ability of the players can't explain (unless they've just been really unlucky in gathering an organization full of braindead dudes on the bases).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

Mark Attanasio strikes me as the kind of guy who really values loyalty and service and really struggles to cut people loose. Think about the interviews he gives in the middle of sub-500 seasons where he's still so sure if things break right we can make the playoffs. I think replacing Doug as GM is genuinely the hardest thing he's ever had to do and he just couldn't bring himself to totally fire someone who's been loyal to the org and brought us to the playoffs multiple times. I imagine it's mostly an honorary position.

Doesn't Melvin also have a reputation of being one of the genuinely nicest dudes in baseball?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tony Phillips posted:

Do yourself a favor and read "59 in '84" by Edward Achorn.
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825875/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

He liked pitching, drinking, and flipping off cameras.

When you're done, read Achorn's other book as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Beer-Whiskey-Barkeeps-Immigrants/dp/1610393775/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

:eng101: The photos are historically important too because they're the first documented evidence of someone flipping the bird in the United States.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Timby posted:

Doesn't Melvin also have a reputation of being one of the genuinely nicest dudes in baseball?

He is Canadian, after all.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Magneusieus Sierra rules. Brett Cecil is the worst pitcher in major league baseball. Go Cards

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

I hate lefties.

As a lefty, I hate you too (I throw righty though, go figure).

cis autodrag posted:

He does. This is a good and bad thing. Good because well, look at Jed York and other teams that go through a GM or coach a year. Bad because sometimes, you should cut loose a guy who isn't cutting it anymore a bit sooner. Though I'd personally have someone give people a legit chance instead of one and done. If you're trying to rebuild, constantly shaking up coaches and the front office does no favors.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

He does. This is a good and bad thing. Good because well, look at Jed York and other teams that go through a GM or coach a year. Bad because sometimes, you should cut loose a guy who isn't cutting it anymore a bit sooner. Though I'd personally have someone give people a legit chance instead of one and done. If you're trying to rebuild, constantly shaking up coaches and the front office does no favors.

I mostly agree, but Attanasio's fervent desire to win all the time but on a budget left the team in a really bad position. I think hiring a new GM was a good move on the mere fact that he's not as tight with the new guy and the new guy will have his decisions affected by Mark less, regardless of how good of an actual GM that new guy is.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Intruder posted:

The Cardinals back on top...

:negative:

The Cubs/Indians WS upset the natural order and the baseball gods are issuing an over correction this year with Yankees/Cards.

Ishn allah

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

I agree with this, but from top-to-bottom, the Cardinals as an organization have been awful on the bases the past several years. Something is clearly going on with the coaching that innate ability of the players can't explain (unless they've just been really unlucky in gathering an organization full of braindead dudes on the bases).

That's true, I forgot how bad the BsR numbers are for the Cards every year.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Cano listed day to day after leaving last nights game early and...

Iwakuma to the 10 day. Now at 4/5ths of the expected opening day rotation on the DL at once. Metsesque.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tony Phillips posted:

Cano listed day to day after leaving last nights game early and...

Iwakuma to the 10 day. Now at 4/5ths of the expected opening day rotation on the DL at once. Metsesque.

Cano is back today and he's 4/4 with a HR, so I wouldn't be too worried about him.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Cano is back today and he's 4/4 with a HR, so I wouldn't be too worried about him.

Heh. Hadn't even noticed they were already playing today.
That's a hell of a day to day.

Edit : Ladies and Gentlemen, your .500 baseball Mariners.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Phillies apparently forgot how to pitch recently, so I wouldn't get too excited about beating them.

On the other hand Aaron Altherr is a beautiful, wonderful man.

• Locked thread