Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Did he ever like a video game

He likes plenty of games. His shtick is just to accentuate the negative in everything. In general, if he takes any time at all to praise a game, he liked it and his over-the-top criticism is just for entertainment purposes. He really liked Persona 5, for example.

I don't really find him entertaining anymore, but I used to. Even back then I was aware enough to figure he didn't actually hate every game and that I shouldn't take his "reviews" all that seriously, but it's probably pretty likely that a good portion of his audience takes him completely at face value, sort of like those "Everything Wrong With" Cinema Sins movie guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mutata posted:

He made a video on Bioshock 1 that was positive and I guess people were disappointed so he continued with the negging.

Yeah, I was always under the impression that it was a gimmick and didn't reflect his real views or the review he'd make if he wanted to be serious.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i never really got the impression that he was doing it as a gimmick? even in my favorite games of all time there's plenty of poo poo i could point to and say "well this really sucks watch out for this" while still loving the game and out of no obligation to be strictly negative about it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I saw RedLetterMedia's Guardians of the Galaxy 2 review and Mike and Jay both loved it a lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i never really got the impression that he was doing it as a gimmick? even in my favorite games of all time there's plenty of poo poo i could point to and say "well this really sucks watch out for this" while still loving the game and out of no obligation to be strictly negative about it

Eh, I guess it's debatable whether it's a gimmick or whether it's more accurate to just say that Zero Punctuation is specifically about the things that suck about a game, whether or not the game is good. I always saw it as a gimmick--he's accentuating (real) negatives for entertainment, rather than to provide an actual review--but that's just my assumption.

Edit: Wait, are we talking about Yahtzee or someone else now?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 10, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I saw RedLetterMedia's Guardians of the Galaxy 2 review and Mike and Jay both loved it a lot
similarly, i saw redlettermedia's review of the bayonetta pc port and despite rich literally staring at the camera and pleading directly to the audience that both he and jack really, really loved the game, please calm down as they review it, people were going "WHY ARE THEY BEING SO NEGATIVE ABOUT BAYONETTA loving HACK FRAUDS", so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yahtzee is definitely gimmicky, and his gimmick is to overaccentuate the negatives of any game he's reviewing. Which has probably been a smart business decision as nerds simply cannot let go of anything that dare besmirch the name of Whatever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

He likes plenty of games. His shtick is just to accentuate the negative in everything. In general, if he takes any time at all to praise a game, he liked it and his over-the-top criticism is just for entertainment purposes. He really liked Persona 5, for example.

I don't really find him entertaining anymore, but I used to. Even back then I was aware enough to figure he didn't actually hate every game and that I shouldn't take his "reviews" all that seriously, but it's probably pretty likely that a good portion of his audience takes him completely at face value, sort of like those "Everything Wrong With" Cinema Sins movie guys.

Cowcaster posted:

i remember him liking a lot of games? just that it was the redlettermedia problem where even when they really like something they'll still criticize the hell out of it and for some reason most people can't seem to understand how that is possible so their cerebellums fuse and assume that they hate everything

Oh well ok, my bad. I only ever saw like a few of his videos back when he was really popular (i didn't know he was still around)

I liked that one stealth/heist game he made though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Why would someone be wearing their own merchandise if they didn't want people to recognize them

Maybe they bought too much merch and mot enough clothes with their youtube money

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yahtzee is definitely gimmicky, and his gimmick is to overaccentuate the negatives of any game he's reviewing. Which has probably been a smart business decision as nerds simply cannot let go of anything that dare besmirch the name of Whatever.

It does lead to a fun effect where any time Yahtzee takes the time to praise something, his fans go into "holy poo poo he must have loved it" mode.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
ahhhhhhh

$15 if you own Bayo

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Harrow posted:

I'm pretty sure videogamedunkey lives in or around the city where I live, in that plenty of his outdoor videos were filmed around here. Doubt I'd recognize him if I saw him around, though.

Dunkey lives in Madison, WI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

In my headcanon dunkey is a donkey IRL.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

Dunkey lives in Madison, WI

Then I'm correct.

I know the Dunkey Dance video was filmed on State Street and also in the Kohl's at West Gate Mall. And also I think I work with the guy he dances with at the beginning of that video? Either that or I work with that guy's doppelganger.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I finished Ghost Trick yesterday. It was a very fun and satisfying game and I am glad I played it! The only complain I have is that I thought that the game was leading up to something regarding Beauty and her sixth sense but nothing came of that, and I guess that's more on me than anything. Other than that, very fun and engaging and good! :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am very hyped for Vanquish on PC and I hope the mouse/keyboard controls feel good out of the gate

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mutata posted:

He made a video on Bioshock 1 that was positive and I guess people were disappointed so he continued with the negging.

I am also disappointed that he was positive about Bioshock.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

skies of arcadia next please

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to buy Vanquish PC and play it with a controller. :twisted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't really play games on PC but wouldn't a third person shooter be really awkward on keyboard/mouse

nevermind

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 10, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't really play games on PC but wouldn't a third person shooter be really awkward on keyboard/mouse

I'm not sure why it would be. WASD for moving and mouse for aiming, same as with FPS games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm going to buy Vanquish PC and play it with a controller. :twisted:

Same tbh, but I put alot of hours on the ps3 version of the game. Can't wait to double dip this one as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

No. Also, what?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

You can kind of already do this with Legends on Dolphin.

My answer remains Tales of Vesperia, so I can feel better about selling my 360.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

No. Also, what?

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not sure why it would be. WASD for moving and mouse for aiming, same as with FPS games.

Yeah ok I guess it probably works fine

I've never played a TPS on PC and there's so much going on in Vanquish (especially in the challenge mode) so it just was a little hard for me to visualise for a second

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only tps I played on mouse and kb was RE6. I thought that playing it without a controller was a huge mistake but I later found out the game just sucked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
resident evil 4 on mouse and keyboard was a pretty fun time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They will never port Vesperia, because they'd either have to do new work to accommodate the PS3 stuff or get a ton of complaints for just re-releasing the 360 version.

Actually scratch that, Symphonia on PC exists as a franken-port.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Real hurthling! posted:

Persona 5
Zelda
Hzd
Yakuza0
Resident evil

I liked re7 and hzd a lot but prey's got them both beat

like swap out hzd and re7 with prey and nier: automata and you have my list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah i forgot nier goty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

it's a very good movie so I can see why!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

:stare:

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Panzer Dragoon Orta, please. PLEASE.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

ahhhhhhh

$15 if you own Bayo

This is such a smart strategy, I just finished Bayonetta and this basically guarantees I'm buying Vanquish right away

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is such a smart strategy, I just finished Bayonetta and this basically guarantees I'm buying Vanquish right away

drat man, have you just constantly got a game on or something, I wish I'd the fortitude to complete as many games as you get through, 2 years on and I'm just on the cusp of wrapping up Witcher 3 :toot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macarius Wrench posted:

drat man, have you just constantly got a game on or something, I wish I'd the fortitude to complete as many games as you get through, 2 years on and I'm just on the cusp of wrapping up Witcher 3 :toot:

It's a lot easier to play through multiple 10 hour action games than one 200 hour RPG

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Short games rule. Let us all praise short games.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

ahhhhhhh

$15 if you own Bayo

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I was resisting purchasing Bayonetta again but that's just enough to convince me to buy both

• Locked thread