Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
it just happened. when you work a physical job for regular 50-70 hour weeks you tend to develop coming home "rituals". yeah it sounds stupid "i guess I didn't think about 5 or 6 beers a night as being a problem at the time" and I suppose it is. Basically everyone that works there has some sort of substance issue. When I mentioned it to one dude he was like "but I drink a 6 pack every night" as if I were making a big deal out of a minor thing. Luckily the cutting down has been really easy now that I'm cognizant of the issue. And yeah, I should probably phase it down to 0 most nights.

That said, when this job and drinking started, I got up to 200lbs from my usual 170. Hoping to see some good aesthetic gains from this. Also since I'm still not really very strong and since the calories getting cut are all garbage, I don't really see myself losing any strength gains either. Other than them just being empty carbs, what about the deal where alcohol increasing cortisol makes you hang on to fat? Does it really have a big effect?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 10, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Constipated posted:

If he stops drinking he'd be sober driver dad, which is kind of lame :colbert:

Lame dads are the best dads.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
also I'm a filthy liar, I'm neither a dad nor do I drive drunk. The drunk part is the only morsel of truth.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

also I'm a filthy liar, I'm neither a dad nor do I drive drunk. The drunk part is the only morsel of truth.

Next you'll be telling us you're not a goat either. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had a three-litre vodka ­bottle at home I would put loads of Skittles sweets in.

Once one batch had fully dissolved, I’d top it up with more — only the red or purple sweets because I don’t fancy the orange, green and yellow ones. I must have put a different batch in at least 20 times.

After that, you can drink the vodka neat and it tastes just like Skittles. When I was bored at home in the evening I’d pour myself a glass, sit back and enjoy. The vodka was decent but it wasn’t doing much for my dead leg, which didn’t stop bleeding for ages.

Dave Rennie, the physio, said he couldn’t believe it wasn’t improving. He’d seen a torn calf muscle heal quicker.

He pulled me aside one day when nobody else was about. “What are you doing?” Dave asked. “Nothing I wouldn’t ­normally do,” I replied.

Then I explained that what I’d normally do was drink Skittle vodka.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:magical:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
6-7 beers a night down to 1-2 or 0 is a massive calorie reduction and you'll lose the first 10-15 pounds really easily. You can also expect to injure yourself less often. As far as cortisol goes I have no idea.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

it just happened. when you work a physical job for regular 50-70 hour weeks you tend to develop coming home "rituals". yeah it sounds stupid "i guess I didn't think about 5 or 6 beers a night as being a problem at the time" and I suppose it is. Basically everyone that works there has some sort of substance issue. When I mentioned it to one dude he was like "but I drink a 6 pack every night" as if I were making a big deal out of a minor thing. Luckily the cutting down has been really easy now that I'm cognizant of the issue. And yeah, I should probably phase it down to 0 most nights.

i must be a loving pussy because the exact same thing happened to me working a 40 hrs a week computer job. quit the sauce and instantly lost 10 lbs of skinnyfat.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Sober gains are awesome though, for real. I weighed 192 today, last few weeks I've stayed around 190. I look significantly more muscular and vascular now and have noticed my stomach getting really tight, not far from defined abs. Not sure how long its been since I quit everything but you can go through my posts in this thread and find out, too lazy to do it myself.

I also hit a sumo dead PR yesterday, 3 reps of 315 for 2 sets :toot: I think I only ever previously got 3 reps for one set, these flew off the floor. :hellyeah:

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I lifted a weight yesterday! Am I jacked again yet?

Been in and out of the gym for 11+ years now, mostly out recently due to a crippling mental health diagnosis and hospital stays. Swore off bodybuilding for a few years due to the sickening effects of muscle dysmorpia but the pump keeps calling me. Now I look back on old pics and realise, poo poo, I actually was pretty huge. AMA about lifting for the wrong reasons for a decade.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DarkEnigma posted:

I lifted a weight yesterday! Am I jacked again yet?

Been in and out of the gym for 11+ years now, mostly out recently due to a crippling mental health diagnosis and hospital stays. Swore off bodybuilding for a few years due to the sickening effects of muscle dysmorpia but the pump keeps calling me. Now I look back on old pics and realise, poo poo, I actually was pretty huge. AMA about lifting for the wrong reasons for a decade.

What gives the better gains, the right reasons or the wrong ones?

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Clearly the wrong ones as they drive individuals to inject bathtub brewed oils into their muscle tissues that gently caress with their hormones to satiate an unhealthy desire to be a little bit bigger.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
For those that don't know (which is everyone!!) I was one of the OG big guys in WAW....or YLLS or whatever the gently caress. This is about the best shape I've achieved:

That was over 2 years ago. Been trying unsuccessfully for the past 6 months to get back into it.

Dunno why I posted these pics, I guess to establish dominance and show that you should all listen to me!!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I'm 16 weeks into a cut with a small break in the middle. Food cravings and poo poo is no problem to deal with.

My weakness is booze. Not real drinkin - just sitting down and having a few beers with folks. It's the social/relaxation aspect I'm addicted to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How long did it take to set up the lighting on the back pic?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Acelerion posted:

I'm 16 weeks into a cut with a small break in the middle. Food cravings and poo poo is no problem to deal with.

My weakness is booze. Not real drinkin - just sitting down and having a few beers with folks. It's the social/relaxation aspect I'm addicted to.

Start smoking instead.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Acelerion posted:

Take up smoking instead, no more booze calories AND you get to suppress your appetite!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

See that's why I come here - practical solutions

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Acelerion posted:

See that's why I come here - practical solutions
Whenever you'd order alcohol crank one out. It will solve your social addiction and alcohol consumption in one fell swoop, and it costs a lot less than smoking.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

DarkEnigma posted:

For those that don't know (which is everyone!!) I was one of the OG big guys in WAW....or YLLS or whatever the gently caress. This is about the best shape I've achieved:

That was over 2 years ago. Been trying unsuccessfully for the past 6 months to get back into it.

Dunno why I posted these pics, I guess to establish dominance and show that you should all listen to me!!

Didn't you have long hair at some point? I know I remember you but can't figure out if I'm merging you and someone else in my head.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Yep that was me, the locks have come off.

sassassin posted:

How long did it take to set up the lighting on the back pic?

6 hours and three midgets

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DarkEnigma posted:

6 hours and three midgets
where did you find the other two?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

TenementFunster posted:

:vince:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TenementFunster posted:

:mmmhmm:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

people should post some pics of how they've let themselves go and poo poo like that. i could use a quick ego boost

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

You're kidding....right?

I thought it would be obvious that as alpha midget I have a personal entourage at my disposal.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

when u stop eatin' salami dis wat happens

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

DarkEnigma posted:

I've said this before but your old transformation was one of the ones that made me say "its time to get big" when I was 130lbs

so in a way you're responsible for the body dysmorphic piece of poo poo I have become.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
man i thought about swapping to smokin weed but i drive poo poo to drop off at the airport sometimes and I'm sure one little fender bender, even if someone hits me, is an automatic piss test so.

shoulder feels a little better today. I think tomorrow I'll go back to my regular routine, thursday is volume anyway so the weights won't be too heavy. I'm thinking of adjusting the PHUL thing, instead of it being like monday is power upper day, and thursday is hypertrophy upper day, crossing the exercises. Like money is 3x3 bench press, but I'll do the hypertrophy OHP and side lat raises, and on thursday do 3x5 OHP and the volume dumbell benching, if that makes sense. That will let me actually progress evenly on Bench and OHP than doing both of the strength sets on the same day, because the first one probably tires me out and ruins the second.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Defiant Sally posted:

I've said this before but your old transformation was one of the ones that made me say "its time to get big" when I was 130lbs

so in a way you're responsible for the body dysmorphic piece of poo poo I have become.

I haven't forgotten. I've poked by your log a few times and I gotta say, ur huge bro. Seeing your progress has inspired me in turn to get my rear end back to it. I mean, I can't let a former twink beat me D:

And I'm sorry for being a catalyst to your discovery of the disgusting world of feeling Forever Small. Knowing I hand a hand in taking away the part of you that was ever happy about the way you looked, kind of makes me feel like a rapist!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

DarkEnigma posted:

i cant even see no abs

l-l-laaaaa a ammmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

actually you looked good

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

man i thought about swapping to smokin weed but i drive poo poo to drop off at the airport sometimes and I'm sure one little fender bender, even if someone hits me, is an automatic piss test so.

shoulder feels a little better today. I think tomorrow I'll go back to my regular routine, thursday is volume anyway so the weights won't be too heavy. I'm thinking of adjusting the PHUL thing, instead of it being like monday is power upper day, and thursday is hypertrophy upper day, crossing the exercises. Like money is 3x3 bench press, but I'll do the hypertrophy OHP and side lat raises, and on thursday do 3x5 OHP and the volume dumbell benching, if that makes sense. That will let me actually progress evenly on Bench and OHP than doing both of the strength sets on the same day, because the first one probably tires me out and ruins the second.

That's what I tend to do with it, as one creates fatigue in the other. I tend to do the same with Romanian deadlifts - when I go heavy on those, I do more volume for squats, and vice versa.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Seems like it would spread overall volume and intensity out more evenly as well. It's kind of weird. Before I picked up the drinking habit, when I went through my first round of lifting, I always did either SS or 5x5, and I always would hit a brick wall in Bench Press, I'd either fail 150 for 5 reps, or if I managed the last rep would be a really horrible grinder. I think I kept at it, trying resets and deloads for probably 3 months. I was even eating somewhat decent then. When I got my current job, I quit lifting for almost a year, and then started back, and that's when the drinking too many beers started too. Even with the beer drinking, my best rep PR now is 165lbs for 6 reps. I really feel like, for me at least, the really low frequency and volume for Upper Body stuff in SS/5x5 was just not near enough. My squats had went up great, from like 115 to 225 for reps, but you are doing those 3 times a week which is what made me realize maybe my body just needs more than a 1.5x a week frequency for Bench and OHP. I'm really hoping I blow through 200 and hit 225 by the end of the summer on bench now that I've cut out the drinking and I'm also eating a little better as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Beer and weed are anabolic, great job

Where do you park the trailer?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Follow your leader

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6b37_story.html