Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thread moves kinda fast so my question was skipped over, but how do I get through the micrograv tunnel leading to the Arbortoreum (which is where I have to go to advance the story)? There's a locked door and I have no idea where to look for the code and the game hasn't given any hints.

Did you grab the keycard off the body in the magnetosphere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh gently caress me, I never thought it would stop physical things outside of enemies. Welp.

Other things the Gloo gun does that blew my mind:

- It puts out fires
- It seals punctured tubes that are shooting flame/gas
- It allows you to walk on electrified floors unharmed by just standing on the blobs
- It destroys cysts and the resulting bombs instantly
- A couple of gloo shots side by side creates a platform that will support a turret or similar

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also temporarily disables broken electrical junctions from zapping you

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Other things the Gloo gun does that blew my mind:

- It puts out fires
- It seals punctured tubes that are shooting flame/gas
- It allows you to walk on electrified floors unharmed by just standing on the blobs
- It destroys cysts and the resulting bombs instantly
- A couple of gloo shots side by side creates a platform that will support a turret or similar

WHAT?

God dammit. So much pistol ammo wasted.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just got hit by the bug where you lose random stuff when you enter the arboretum.

This game is amazing but I keep wondering if I should just wait to play until the first round of bug fixes.

How close is getting the quest to scan coral to the end?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 10, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

WHAT?

God dammit. So much pistol ammo wasted.

Nerf bolts are even better for this since they are reusable and they go after movement.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is that the one behind the fan? I have no clue how to stop the fan.

Emp grenade.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just got hit by the bug where you lose random stuff when you enter the arboretum.

This game is amazing but I keep wondering if I should just wait to play until the first round of bug fixes.

How close is getting the quest to scan coral to the end?

About 2/3rds of the way through

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

are you sure that's where the plan is? because that's where i definitely picked up the gun itself but i can recheck to see if the plan is on the guy

My bad, yeah that is only the gun but the plans are definitely nearby in the Volunteer Quarters office on the desk there. The ammo plans are in the arboretum

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

This is the C answer. Gloo Gun is the A answer.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did you grab the keycard off the body in the magnetosphere?

I don't think I've been there, unless that's the thing that's in the room with all of the light strands I never went in there since I don't think I have access. And I don't care to fight the Weaver or whatever is in there.

That works? This game is pretty amazing.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What was the threshold before the turrets attack you? 3 powers?

This should probably be my GotY because I can't stop thinking, posting about it, or playing it and I'm only renting it. I don't really care about trophies and the Typhon only run is kind of frustrating/boring so I'm thinking of restarting again just to see the other ending with an optimal build and and aaaaa :negative:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Sounds like you should buy a copy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Dumb question, but does the game actually end if you take the escape pod? I discovered randomly that I could gloo gun up to alex's office, which lead me to the escape pod key in his quarters, and i figured out you can use the rafters to make a gloo path to the pod. But I don't really feel like ending the game this early

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Crustashio posted:

Dumb question, but does the game actually end if you take the escape pod? I discovered randomly that I could gloo gun up to alex's office, which lead me to the escape pod key in his quarters, and i figured out you can use the rafters to make a gloo path to the pod. But I don't really feel like ending the game this early

I saved before I did this. ARBORETUM SPOILERS Like, you can use the pod, but it doesn't have a full ending, it just gives you a game over screen. You get some revealing dialogue at least that has me thinking about what the true ending will be

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crustashio posted:

Since it's a side quest I thought there would be some sort of event where the launch fails or Alex remotely takes control and pulls you back to the station, but no. You can straight up bail, with Alex giving you a disappointed line like "That's it? You're just giving up?" and taking you to a screen to restart at the last checkpoint. You get an achievement for it, though part of Alex's brief comment gives away part of the story you might not know about yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is the boxed copy of the game supposed to come with two discs?
I distinctly remember there being two discs in the box when I opened it but I can't find the other one now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Trades posted:

Is the boxed copy of the game supposed to come with two discs?
I distinctly remember there being two discs in the box when I opened it but I can't find the other one now.

Because it was a Mimic.

boxed copy comes with one disc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something that actually bothers me a bit about that quest: You don't actually have to leave once you've sealed the pod. If you start the launch (which triggers Alex's "you're giving up?" voice line), you can turn around and open the door back up before it finishes. This does not end the quest, it just stays there in stasis, because to my surprise nobody has anything to say about you changing your mind. It's like the one thing I really expected the game to comment on, but it never did.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Because it was a Mimic.

boxed copy comes with one disc

Excellent work.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think I've been there, unless that's the thing that's in the room with all of the light strands I never went in there since I don't think I have access. And I don't care to fight the Weaver or whatever is in there.

Off to the side of the GUTS, near a floating dead body, is the magnetosphere section. It's short, but there's a body with the keycard in it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
THAC1 triggers me a lot more than it should.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The ending premise was cool and fine but the execution was bad and dumb.

Exposition exposition exposition *5 second cutscene of awkward handshake*

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

having lots of different ways to overcome obstacles is actually cool and good and not bad

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

You can also move leverage 3 objects by putting an explosive canister in the right spot and shooting it to knock them over. The devs actually showed that one off in one of the PAX demos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Off to the side of the GUTS, near a floating dead body, is the magnetosphere section. It's short, but there's a body with the keycard in it.

No clue how I completely skipped this, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I got to G.U.T.S. where the gently caress is the aggro crag!?!

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

The ending premise was cool and fine but the execution was bad and dumb.

Exposition exposition exposition *5 second cutscene of awkward handshake*

What's awkward about it?
Were you expecting a fist bump?

enigmatikone fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wish it was done better. I wanted more body horror

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

enigmatikone posted:

What's awkward about it?
Were you expecting a fist bump?

:siren: This is the ending, don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nHDDz6g48&t=1837s

Compelling.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The animation is so awkward, that's my issue with it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The animation is so awkward, that's my issue with it.

That, and also there is no conclusion. What does "shaking things up" mean. I get what they are trying to accomplish, but it just is like "Hey want to kill them all or shake some dude's hand". And that is arguably the most important decision you can make in the ENTIRE game and then you are rewarded with a five seconds of awkwardness Though killing them is cool and it then it dumps you back to the menu.

Is that going to be enough for some people? Sure. But for me it was barely there, an incoherent ending after what amounts to a expositive summary of your gameplay choices. Add it on top of the again 5 second cutscene when you choose to Blow up the station or nullwave it and it just seems like they really had no idea how to end the game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

That, and also there is no conclusion. What does "shaking things up" mean. I get what they are trying to accomplish, but it just is like "Hey want to kill them all or shake some dude's hand". And that is arguably the most important decision you can make in the ENTIRE game and then you are rewarded with a five seconds of awkwardness Though killing them is cool and it then it dumps you back to the menu.

Is that going to be enough for some people? Sure. But for me it was barely there, an incoherent ending after what amounts to a expositive summary of your gameplay choices. Add it on top of the again 5 second cutscene when you choose to Blow up the station or nullwave it and it just seems like they really had no idea how to end the game.

It means there's a chance? Hope? They might be able to fix what they did?

Talos 1 failed. The containment was broken, potentially the way we saw it broke. Real Morgan might have actually pulled off what we did during the events of the game, but either the Nullwave didn't work, or blowing up the station didn't stop them.

Either way Earth is gone, billions are dead, and Alex and maybe? the rest of the best of Talos are hiding in a rinky dink rear end basement somewhere desperately trying to come up with anything to save the species. Their only plan was the experiment Morgan wanted to try out back on Talos, seeing if they could inject empathy/human emotions into a Typhon through neuromods. Because if they could, and they could get a Typhon to think more like a human, maybe they could do that for the other Typhon and save whats left.

That's the whole crux of the game, and they hinted at it throughout. Nothing mattered on Talos 1 because Talos 1 happened years ago. You were just living in a simulation they whipped up to see how'd you react to an outbreak, and hopefully see that the empathy training worked. Nullwave/blow up weren't even a choice, they were just an illusion of a choice. Part of the personality test they were doing on you.

Both endings have a bit of variation to them in a lot of ways. Something is constantly whispering to you that they are lying to you/you need to kill them all, which means Typhon even when trained pretty well with empathy training might be super psychopathic and this whole plan might not have worked because they enjoy murder a bit too much. Either way though, you've been unleashed onto the world and ideally Prey 2 has you trying to either save Earth from the Typhon, or help them murder whats left.

The "closure" is knowing what's actually happening.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aaaah I keep getting stuck in geometry.

I've lost maybe an hours worth of playtime to this already, it's happened three separate times. (and now I compulsively autosave ever minute or two hahah)

Seem to happen when you brush against heavy objects, there's a chance they'll knock you into the wall and then you're boned. Also happened when trying to navigate around on beams and when trying to duck under something.

Other than that it's been pretty awesome so far!

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

:siren: This is the ending, don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled :siren:

Compelling.

I finished the game a couple days ago, thanks.

enigmatikone fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rookersh posted:

It means there's a chance? Hope? They might be able to fix what they did?

Talos 1 failed. The containment was broken, potentially the way we saw it broke. Real Morgan might have actually pulled off what we did during the events of the game, but either the Nullwave didn't work, or blowing up the station didn't stop them.

Either way Earth is gone, billions are dead, and Alex and maybe? the rest of the best of Talos are hiding in a rinky dink rear end basement somewhere desperately trying to come up with anything to save the species. Their only plan was the experiment Morgan wanted to try out back on Talos, seeing if they could inject empathy/human emotions into a Typhon through neuromods. Because if they could, and they could get a Typhon to think more like a human, maybe they could do that for the other Typhon and save whats left.

That's the whole crux of the game, and they hinted at it throughout. Nothing mattered on Talos 1 because Talos 1 happened years ago. You were just living in a simulation they whipped up to see how'd you react to an outbreak, and hopefully see that the empathy training worked. Nullwave/blow up weren't even a choice, they were just an illusion of a choice. Part of the personality test they were doing on you.

Both endings have a bit of variation to them in a lot of ways. Something is constantly whispering to you that they are lying to you/you need to kill them all, which means Typhon even when trained pretty well with empathy training might be super psychopathic and this whole plan might not have worked because they enjoy murder a bit too much. Either way though, you've been unleashed onto the world and ideally Prey 2 has you trying to either save Earth from the Typhon, or help them murder whats left.

The "closure" is knowing what's actually happening.

You detail very well what happened but miss the entire point, perhaps I did not articulate it well. There is a significant difference between cinematic closure and comprehensive closure. The game lacks the former. I completely understand everything you said and understood it at the time of my playthrough, but the ending is still abrupt and unsatisfying, even if you break it down.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

In light of the recent ending chat - the alarm clock music is a good bit of foreshadowing.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009
It worked for me. I wasn't expecting a set piece.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I really enjoyed the whole soundtrack but the opening song in the helicopter was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I really enjoyed the whole soundtrack but the opening song in the helicopter was amazing.

The helicopter ride + that song in the Polygon first hour video is what grabbed me about this game. And then everything else has just been perfect.