Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean, your idea isn't bad! A core of George, Horford, and Fultz could really do some damage. Especially with how bad the East is.

I mean, theoretically by the time Fultz is good enough to actually do poo poo then Horford will be over the hill. But also by that time Lebron will be old too so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, theoretically by the time Fultz is good enough to actually do poo poo then Horford will be over the hill. But also by that time Lebron will be old too so who knows.

I accidentally responded in G/V, but

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is probably the choice with the best risk:profit.

See if Bird will take some combination of Smart/Bradley/2018 Nets pick for George. Run a starting 5 of IT-Brown-George-Crowder-Horford with Fultz as the 6th man. That's relatively competitive roster with the Cavs/Warriors and parts of the core are still young enough to be relevant if/when LeBron's level of play ever starts to decline.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

A guy of Fultz' caliber could be pretty good by year 2.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Granted I've always been meh on Al Horford, but I don't think he's the type of player the words "but his window is open for only a couple of more seasons" should factor into your decision making

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Kevin Knox has committed to Kentucky

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Granted I've always been meh on Al Horford, but I don't think he's the type of player the words "but his window is open for only a couple of more seasons" should factor into your decision making

He's got a .724 true shooting going in these playoffs and I love him and his manicured eyebrows so YOU'RE WRONG

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/862038063744155651

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Take Josh Jackson and I will make it to completion

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Take Josh Jackson and I will make it to completion

Joel's energy is going to get them 1 and 4, and they're going to take Fultz and Isaac.

It is known

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If Boston gets Markelle Fultz this year and someone else decent next year they have a good chance at winning 1 or 2 old lebron era broken up due to luxury tax warriors championships

Lebron has played so many minutes, even if he's a perfect basketball machine with the best drugs and best cryochambers, he can't do this for much longer

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

If Boston gets Markelle Fultz this year and someone else decent next year they have a good chance at winning 1 or 2 old lebron era broken up due to luxury tax warriors championships

Lebron has played so many minutes, even if he's a perfect basketball machine with the best drugs and best cryochambers, he can't do this for much longer

I will never doubt Lebron until he says "I'm retiring"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Via Chad Ford's latest Big Board:

quote:

Collins continues to quietly move his way up boards as more and more scouts watch video and come away impressed. I've actually yet to find a scout who doesn't think he's a top-10 pick. His limited role at Gonzaga (combined with a lack of hype coming into the draft) does appear to keep his stock a little lower.

Collins going in the top 10 would be a godsend for Charlotte, assuming it's not Markkanen he pushed out

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope the Sixers win and every third word out of JoJo's mouth is "Process"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Collins is the only other big besides Markkannen who isn't a project, so top 10 isn't that bad. But, Collins isn't better than Poeltl was last year, though, so that should kind of commentate what kind of draft this is for bigs.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics make a reach for Collins

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Name another good American born white PF/C besides Kevin Love.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Cody Zeller was Not Bad.
Robin and Brook Lopez are also Ok.
Ryan Anderson is decent.
Hayward could probably play some small-ball 4.

Race is a social construct.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Raef LaFrentz. :colbert:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Ryan Anderson, probably. It starts getting real thin after that. Zellers and Plumlees, and poo poo.

A link of players who are not guards by MPG, because why not?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Cody Zeller was Not Bad.
Robin and Brook Lopez are also Ok.
Ryan Anderson is decent.
Hayward could probably play some small-ball 4.

Race is a social construct.

Lopez bros only have a white mother.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Greg Monroe

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Metapod posted:

Greg Monroe

loving lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Meyers Leonard got me shook.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

Lopez bros only have a white mother.

Ah yes, SAS's no exception single-drop rule.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Blake Griffin?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Add Blake Griffin, Aaron Gordon, and Larry Nance Jr. to the list.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Also, in totally not surprising news.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/862372707807244288

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

Collins is the only other big besides Markkannen who isn't a project, so top 10 isn't that bad. But, Collins isn't better than Poeltl was last year, though, so that should kind of commentate what kind of draft this is for bigs.

Collins is a player I wouldn't mind in the abstract but A) I don't know if you can justify spending a top 10 pick on a (non-God tier) big that doesn't shoot threes these days and B) I couldn't root for a team that had him, Cody Zeller, Frank Kaminsky and Miles Plumlee under contract

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

Collins is a player I wouldn't mind in the abstract but A) I don't know if you can justify spending a top 10 pick on a (non-God tier) big that doesn't shoot threes these days and B) I couldn't root for a team that had him, Cody Zeller, Frank Kaminsky and Miles Plumlee under contract

Yeah with all the guards on the board, drafting Collins high seems like a waste to me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

Serviceable bigs are way harder to find than serviceable guards just because of the distribution of people born in the world who can play PF/C

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wait wait wait.

The Lopez twins aren't Spanish???

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Blake Griffin
Carlos Boozer

But the problem white bigs have in general, including Blake Griffin, is wingspan. Certain west african populations have much longer arms in proportion to height which becomes an overwhelming advantage when you hit the edge of the edge of giant human beings who hoop. When you see Bol Bol's loving hands swinging at the bottom of his knees you start questioning the rules of your ball game and banning the dunk shot and things of that nature

But Collins has the potential to be good, he really has potential. He can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and play defense, at least in the tiny sample we have of him playing. He's just an all around solid big on a below market deal, ideally.

Most of the really tall athletic whites are artificially fat and playing left tackle from 7th grade on. You have to get really tall really fast for like the average what you loving racists would call white suburban kid to be shunted to basketball, Malcom Gladwell paints a nice picture of it, despite being a propagandist for tobacco and other reactionary awful things at other times.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Wait wait wait.

The Lopez twins aren't Spanish???

They're half puerto rican

I'm going to start banning everyone who applies the one drop rule to anyone who hasn't made a public proclamation of blackness

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 10, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Declan MacManus posted:

Serviceable bigs are way harder to find than serviceable guards just because of the distribution of people born in the world who can play PF/C

Correct, but in the modern NBA every team needs two guards and five on your roster, as opposed to one big to start and maybe three on a roster. If you look at teams around the league now far more need to upgrade their guards - starters or rotation depth - than do their bigs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Correct, but in the modern NBA every team needs two guards and five on your roster, as opposed to one big to start and maybe three on a roster. If you look at teams around the league now far more need to upgrade their guards - starters or rotation depth - than do their bigs.

Just looking at playoffs skews your perception because the most talented players are going to be smaller. But without competent bigs you get the huge disaster of last year's Houston Rockets or the Trailblazers before Nurkic. You need them. They're less likely to become Superstars but they're like the pillars that support your carport of hoop success.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

They're half puerto rican

I'm going to start banning everyone who applies the one drop rule to anyone who hasn't made a public proclamation of blackness
I thought their dad was Cuban?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought their dad was Cuban?

Angie is Cuban and George is Mexican

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The main thing about the Lopez twins is that they have red hair like my loving nemesis from elementary school, Marcos. loving red haired bitch. I don't regret anything I did to you or beating you every single time in flag football, if you're reading this

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Angie is Cuban and George is Mexican

my guy

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What if I told you Kevin McHale had an 8 foot wingspan

edit:

(featuring Klay's Dad)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Wingspan is a social construct.

• Locked thread