Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't know if this is supposed to be an example of where you don't get a game loss, but I definitely got a game loss for this at gp chicago for a card that.

1. Was in a different sleeve
2. Was not even castable in the decks colors (wasn't rw)
3. Was not legal in the format (zendikar in theros block standard)
4. Was being used to separate the maindeck and sideboard because I didn't have anywhere else to keep the card in my bag.

Like idgaf about my record or anything, and I was really only there as a driver anyways. To be safe, do not have anything in your deckbox that is not listed on your decklist

That rule is regarding cards in the deck itself, not the sideboard, and covers having something like your previous opponent's pacifism still in your deck from last round after a hasty scoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

odiv posted:

I just have a note in mine that says "Owen is a turd". Is that fine?

I kinda want to put that in my deckbox permanently now, just in case I one day play him. I WILL figure out some way to make him want to check my deck box.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So if I'm playing Legacy and Modern in Vegas I have to bring two different deck boxes rather than one double deck box. Or use different sleeves.

Daang.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That rule is regarding cards in the deck itself, not the sideboard, and covers having something like your previous opponent's pacifism still in your deck from last round after a hasty scoop.

I'd buy that if there wasn't

quote:

If there are extra cards stored with the sideboard that could conceivably be played in the player’s deck, they will be considered part of the sideboard unless they are: (exceptions here

I'm not sure how a green card (don't remember the color but it wasn't RW) from the wrong format could "conceivably be played" in a RW boros burn deck.

Point is if you're going to anything comp REL and don't want game losses, don't leave anything that could even possibly be against the rules because people will call you out on everything because they can. I cant be assed so I try to stick to regular rel stuff

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's interesting which rules come with which default assumptions about intent. Show up to a multi-format tournament with two decks with different-colored sleeves, but didn't read the fine print about approved storage methods? Definitely intent to cheat there, game loss. Forgetting negative triggers, casting cards when you don't have quite the right colors available, letting your own permanents survive wrath effects, and otherwise playing sloppily with the rules in ways that somehow by sheer chance are always strictly beneficial to you? Just an honest mistake every single time, no penalty.

That's a warning, which upgrades to a game loss after you do it enough times. Also, if the intent was determined to be cheating, it's a DQ. All of the penalties assume you did it as a mistake. Gameplay errors are generally warnings nowadays because it's actually really hard to not make a game play error over the course of a day long event.

Sickening posted:

Pick one, the person performing the "mistake" having the downside or the opponent "missing" it. I feel like the one making the mistake seems the most fair.

The issue at hand here isn't "punish the bad player" vs "punish the good player," it's actually how do you integrate all of these individual "simple fixes" into a cohesive, easy to understand policy for handling gameplay errors. Maybe the rules for handling missed triggers should be expanded to handle other kinds of missed events. Not sure how you'd handle extra lands, maybe with a special rule for playing extra lands, or a rule for dealing with permanents that were put into play illegally. I think a case could be made for any or all of these, but it's important to remember that the rules should be easy to follow for players, and they should never encourage you to wait until after a rewind is possible to call a judge to get an edge. Both of those things would be a huge boon to angle shooters.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Hellsau posted:

I don't even know why they banned Alex Bertoncini. If his opponents didn't want to get cheated, they should have paid more attention. It's their responsibility since, after all, it's their game.

Isn't his ban up soon?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Isn't his ban up soon?

He's not on the DCI suspended players list, but Fabrizio Anteri is. Apparently people noticed on Wizards of the Coast's official forum, Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/674wkc/unsuspended_players/?st=j2jf99cj&sh=312f96c6

Allegedly the website got hosed up because of course it did.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

He's not on the DCI suspended players list, but Fabrizio Anteri is. Apparently people noticed on Wizards of the Coast's official forum, Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/674wkc/unsuspended_players/?st=j2jf99cj&sh=312f96c6

Allegedly the website got hosed up because of course it did.

The banned people have noticed also and are trying to figure out if this allows them to play again. I know this because three of them are New Yorkers like myself. I don't know if anything's come of it, but it does tell me those people are planning on playing again as soon as their suspensions are up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

The banned people have noticed also and are trying to figure out if this allows them to play again. I know this because three of them are New Yorkers like myself. I don't know if anything's come of it, but it does tell me those people are planning on playing again as soon as their suspensions are up.

I mean to a thief it's free money ready to be stolen, with nearly no consequences when they're eventually caught.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

Yea you play white for Restore Balance, As Fortold with only Ancestral Visions for payoff seems not worth it.

With balance you want planeswalkers for your wincon, since it has the potential to eat your lands and restrict mana for colonnades.

I agree that I'm not sure what U/B brings to the table that esper or grixis doesn't do better.

Well, you can play Restore Balance in whatever color As Foretold deck since you're never going to suspend it. But, beyond that, I think there are too many low-to-the-ground decks (especially after burn's boost from a Death's Shadow-heavy meta) for the more durdley U/W to be competitive. I like the idea of having your own discard suite to counteract their, and you will eventually out resource them just from getting a single Ancestral out. Plus, it allows you to run fewer counterspells since being reactive in the current meta is kind of bad.

I do like the idea of casting free Esper charms, though. Plus, white gives you the monster sideboard. The obvious trade off is opening the deck to a weakness to Blood Moon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lone Goat posted:

Just keep your picture of your girlfriend in your wallet like everyone else.

Harsh

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

I mean to a thief it's free money ready to be stolen, with nearly no consequences when they're eventually caught.

Even if they've turned over a new leaf, I don't see why they'd want to play again with everyone scrutinizing their every move and never getting the benefit of the doubt from a judge ever again. So maybe you're right that it's free money and there are no repercussions from ever getting caught, legally speaking. The worst that can happen is the money they tried to steal gets donated to charity.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I asked for help on breaking into the game a while back and got some very helpful responses.

Just wanted to report that after losing repeatedly with duel and planeswalker decks I cobbled a red burn deck together out of pieces of those and old cards my friends had that is currently 2-0, so it is indeed possible for me to win sometimes. I looked at some resources online for this sort of deck and plan to make some more efficient additions down the line. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Even if they've turned over a new leaf, I don't see why they'd want to play again with everyone scrutinizing their every move and never getting the benefit of the doubt from a judge ever again. So maybe you're right that it's free money and there are no repercussions from ever getting caught, legally speaking. The worst that can happen is the money they tried to steal gets donated to charity.

I mean it depends on if they're an actual good player who happens to cheat to get an extra advantage, or just a savage cheater. The dipshit who stacked his hands with Amulet Bloom was a bad player who just cheated a bunch. Alex Bertoncini was an adequate player who cheated constantly. Marcio Carvalho is a good player who cheats when possible. Somebody like Bloom-stacker or Bertoncini is just going to get caught again and rebanned, but someone like Carvalho who just cheats when the chances of getting caught/punished are minimal is much more likely to prosper.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
mm2017 is finally getting a little bit of relief in singles prices. Goyf is down to low 70's again. Lily to the high 50's. The rest are starting to steadily fall again. That could all change if the pro tour bombs hard and the scg tour pushes interest again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

I asked for help on breaking into the game a while back and got some very helpful responses.

Just wanted to report that after losing repeatedly with duel and planeswalker decks I cobbled a red burn deck together out of pieces of those and old cards my friends had that is currently 2-0, so it is indeed possible for me to win sometimes. I looked at some resources online for this sort of deck and plan to make some more efficient additions down the line. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Nice job. One thing I continue to fail to get in to the new players section of the OP is mentioning the social aspect is probably the most important part of Magic. Find people who you enjoy hanging around with and it makes the whole playing experience much better and long lasting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On that note, I just spent an evening drinking with a friend and playing against his Early Modern decks like Kithkins and Elf Stuff. Had a blast. All I had was a RW Exert deck I'd cobbled together from the Gideon PW deck, but it drew like a dream and now I'm thinking of going to an FNM with it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

mm2017 is finally getting a little bit of relief in singles prices. Goyf is down to low 70's again. Lily to the high 50's. The rest are starting to steadily fall again. That could all change if the pro tour bombs hard and the scg tour pushes interest again.

The cheapest LotV is still $74 on TCGplayer. Where are you seeing this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

The cheapest LotV is still $74 on TCGplayer. Where are you seeing this?

Weird, I swear some innistrad copies were there but maybe those were just a few damaged copies or something. Still mid 60's. Seems weird that the mm3 coppies are still 72 when goyf is 72.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Great, just in time for all of my spare cash to go towards moving costs :v:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Weird, I swear some innistrad copies were there but maybe those were just a few damaged copies or something. Still mid 60's. Seems weird that the mm3 coppies are still 72 when goyf is 72.

I don't mean to press this, but both versions of lili are still mid 70s on tcg at NM/LP. I check Lili often because I'm fascinated with her floor.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

Just keep your picture of your girlfriend in your wallet like everyone else.

do you have a picture of Nico that won't get aliased to heck I could fit in there?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't know if this is supposed to be an example of where you don't get a game loss, but I definitely got a game loss for this at gp chicago for a card that.

1. Was in a different sleeve
2. Was not even castable in the decks colors (wasn't rw)
3. Was not legal in the format (zendikar in theros block standard)
4. Was being used to separate the maindeck and sideboard because I didn't have anywhere else to keep the card in my bag.

Like idgaf about my record or anything, and I was really only there as a driver anyways. To be safe, do not have anything in your deckbox that is not listed on your decklist

If #3 is actually true, then you explicitly wouldn't get a game loss for it, since it can't be a legal card in your deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

do you have a picture of Nico that won't get aliased to heck I could fit in there?

I don't get it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I don't get it.

It's anime chief

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I feel like the learning curve is going to be brutal. Part of it is self inflicted because I really want to play old cards I'm familiar with.

I just played a dude who only had 2 lands in play (Bazaar of Baghdad, and some legendary swamp) and he seemed to be able to cast (?) nearly limitless amounts of creatures and tokens by discarding them into his graveyard. :psyduck:

Still, I played someone who is probably mildly retarded yesterday and landed the finishing attack with a Mahamoti Djinn and OH GOD I'M HOOKED AGAIN

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Skyl3lazer posted:

If #3 is actually true, then you explicitly wouldn't get a game loss for it, since it can't be a legal card in your deck.

I wasn't going complain about it, i was already like x-4 and who the gently caress cares.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I feel like the learning curve is going to be brutal. Part of it is self inflicted because I really want to play old cards I'm familiar with.

I just played a dude who only had 2 lands in play (Bazaar of Baghdad, and some legendary swamp) and he seemed to be able to cast (?) nearly limitless amounts of creatures and tokens by discarding them into his graveyard. :psyduck:

Still, I played someone who is probably mildly retarded yesterday and landed the finishing attack with a Mahamoti Djinn and OH GOD I'M HOOKED AGAIN

lol jumping straight into the deep end eh?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Got dredged huh?

Happens to the best of us. Dredge is also extremely weird and nearly every part of is some sort of rules corner case. I love it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Vintage probably isn't the best place to start.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I'm in the market for a cheapish modern deck to play on magic online and I've been looking at Amulet Titan; can anyone recommend for or against it? I really like fiddly combo decks with lots of lines, but I don't know whether it's any good or not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dredge is a really weird deck that plays on a completely different axis than almost any other deck in Magic.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

uninverted posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish modern deck to play on magic online and I've been looking at Amulet Titan; can anyone recommend for or against it? I really like fiddly combo decks with lots of lines, but I don't know whether it's any good or not.

It's definitely still good enough for FNM level play and it sounds right up your alley. Storm also fits the bill.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Amulet Bloom is one of the more fun decks I've ever played.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I mean it's all just for fun. I don't want to slow games down by reading everything that's new to me because pretty much everything is new to me.

He had a bunch of stuff out so I was like I'll show him :smug: and cast Balance when I had no creatures out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Putting things back into the graveyard is like exactly what they wanted. You were probably helping.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean if they had an army of zombie tokens, what are you going to do, not cast Balance?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pontius Pilate posted:

It's definitely still good enough for FNM level play and it sounds right up your alley. Storm also fits the bill.

Is anyone here playing Storm? I haven't seen it locally in a long time but it's it's been slowly but surely creeping up the metagame chart in MTGGoldfish. It got a huge shot in the arm in the last few months, with Baral getting printed and MM17 bringing down the price on Gifts/PiF/Tarn. If I didn't already have a bunch of decks I never play I'd be tempted to build it, it's not the type of deck I ever play.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 11, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Putting things back into the graveyard is like exactly what they wanted. You were probably helping.

Oh,. yeah, that's exactly what happened haha. Suddenly he had even more stuff back in play. I made a joke about it in chat and he was actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

uninverted posted:

I'd imagine it would be great for the friendly leagues. Storm is probably better, though, and might fit your style just as well. But, Wizards hates storm so it might get another piece banned :shrug:.