Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah short games are easier to knock out, but I do think I've probably spent more time on games this year than I have in the past couple years combined, or at least it just feels like it with the density of releases. I did just put 100 hours into Persona 5. I also think I might be pushing it, I really shouldn't have stayed up until 3 AM playing Prey :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

I was resisting purchasing Bayonetta again but that's just enough to convince me to buy both

If you haven't got Bayo1 yet the 25% works on the package so you can get both for 30 bucks. Thank you sega

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't gotten very far into Zelda yet but it's clearly going to take months to finish and now I'm sad I won't get Prey until then.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Of all the incredible releases of this year if theres a game to be playing at 3am its probably Prey :aaaaa:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

If you haven't got Bayo1 yet the 25% works on the package so you can get both for 30 bucks. Thank you sega

Goddamn Sega, when did you start making good deals!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Goddamn Sega, when did you start making good deals!

They are also releasing Yakuza Kiwami at $30, greatly increasing the chances that their American audiences will pick up three Yakuza games in the span of a year

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Can anyone name other people who do music similar to this? Tia

I know Washed Out was already recommended (a good recommendation!) but I felt bad that only one artist was offered. It might not be exactly the same but you might want to look into an artist called Macintosh Plus for some similar music. Here's a Spotify playlist that has music by them and other vaporwave artists that I would suggest poking through or just putting on shuffle to see what pops out at you. https://open.spotify.com/user/1165498459/playlist/5LBvZypvCMxoW7hDEtBkkZ You need a Spotify account to listen, though. Coincidentally, Spotify also has the whole Prey OST (as well as a bunch of other good videogame soundtracks like Ori and the Blind Forest, Flower, and DOOM4), but if I try to make a radio station from that song I posted it just matches me up with other soundtracks instead of similar sounding artists.

I hope this helps you find something you dig.

e: Actually, that playlist - despite being called Macintosh Plus - does not have any of their music. I have brought great shame on my house. Have a YT and poke around the recommended videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

e2: Saint Pepsi too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrR1TGQY20Y

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Vanquish on PC is fantastic news. Just power through the first 30 minutes and it's all good stuff from there on out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

now all sega has to do is start putting the Yakuza games on PC so everyone can enjoy them forever

also get on Madworld/Anarchy Reigns

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

now all sega has to do is start putting the Yakuza games on PC so everyone can enjoy them forever

I was hoping for this and also persona 5, but I think sony money is involved with both of em.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Yahtzee once said negative things about Smash Bros. Brawl and received so much hate mail that he did an entire episode focused on that

I really like Jim Sterlings stuff

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macarius Wrench posted:

Of all the incredible releases of this year if theres a game to be playing at 3am its probably Prey :aaaaa:

sorry, i'm a classicist and the only game i play at 3am is civ

and currently persona 3 because i'm still readjusting to american time zones

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The White Dragon posted:

sorry, i'm a classicist and the only game i play at 3am is civ

and currently persona 3 because i'm still readjusting to american time zones

Yeah, it can take a while to get used to the contiguous states' bizarre decision to throw out the notion of hours and minutes, instead adopting a frankly juvenile set of time "blocks". Persona 3 is a great way to become familiar with the daily cycle of Early Morning, Morning, Lunchtime, Afternoon, After School, Evening, and Late Night, and but it embellished the nebulous Dark Hour just a bit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mass Effect is now apparently "on hiatus" and Bioware Montreal converted into a much smaller support studio. That was quick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like No Mas Effect.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

We won't see Mass Effect for awhile. Bioware Edmonton is working on their Destiny/Diablo/The Division style action RPG. Bioware has been hitting a sales ceiling with their recent games so a loot RPG is probably their best shot of a 10-15 million sales hit.

These days, EA typically axes AAA franchises that can't sell over 5 million units. Go big or go home and join Dead Space.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I got to the first boss of the Ringed City and thought it was just a bloodborne-ish twin gargoyle fight. Then when I beat it on the second try I was like "huh that was easy", and then the next phase started...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Play Phantom Dust

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ostentatious posted:

Yahtzee once said negative things about Smash Bros. Brawl and received so much hate mail that he did an entire episode focused on that

I really like Jim Sterlings stuff

I'm going to have a YouTube gimmick of aggressively liking every video game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm going to have a YouTube gimmick of aggressively liking every video game.

So, you wanna be an influencer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I need to stop watching GB Quick Looks because they keep making me want dumb games I works have ignored at least until they were cheaper. Like right now I want Super Rude Bear and I had zero interest before watching the QL and now I'm a moment of weakness away from spending the $15

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

glam rock hamhock posted:

I need to stop watching GB Quick Looks because they keep making me want dumb games I works have ignored at least until they were cheaper. Like right now I want Super Rude Bear and I had zero interest before watching the QL and now I'm a moment of weakness away from spending the $15

What's your Steam profile?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So they new Trackmania update did a few negative things but it allows some cool poo poo too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfWBT1zx9z8&t=122s

Video should start 2:02

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sunning posted:

Go big or go home and join Dead Space.

Dead Space 3 was so depressing. It was such a good idea for a franchise and the first two games are executed really well (albeit becoming a bit more action-oriented). They axed it because it couldn't be a Call Of Duty-level megasuccess. So stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What's your Steam profile?

I appreciate it but in this case I should just learn to not but the game (thay and I don't really have easy access to steam right now and won't for the immediate future)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So, you wanna be an influencer

*views empty bank account* Hm. Yes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Just because you link clickbait doesn't mean you have to be as disingenuous about it. All it says is that they haven't started on the next ME game yet. The MP is still being supported (today there was a massive balance patch for it) so it's not "on hiatus".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

Short games rule. Let us all praise short games.

Short games and long games are equally cool imo, problems arise when a game stretches its content to pad its game time, like Alien Isolation, the longest 5 hour game of all time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

Just because you link clickbait doesn't mean you have to be as disingenuous about it. All it says is that they haven't started on the next ME game yet. The MP is still being supported (today there was a massive balance patch for it) so it's not "on hiatus".

How is that disingenuous? Usually at this point they would already be working on the next game yet all signs point to it not being in the works, which is news. The statement from EA basically confirms this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it looks like the studio that ported valkyria chronicles is involved with the pc port of vanquish, so that's a pretty good sign if bayonetta and mgr weren't reason enough to think it'll be good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm very interested in finally playing Vanquish b/c I wanna see what Platinum can do when they're not just making a variation on Devil May Cry.

Like even Madworld and Anarchy Reigns were still kinda that kinda stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rich Evans likes Vanquish a lot, so even though I disagree often with his video game opinions I kind of want to check it out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only shinji mikami action game i haven't liked was pn03 and i don't think anyone making pn03 liked pn03, so i'm excited to check it out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

an actual dog posted:

How is that disingenuous? Usually at this point they would already be working on the next game yet all signs point to it not being in the works, which is news. The statement from EA basically confirms this.

To me, "we haven't started working on the next game yet but are still adding things to the multiplayer mode of the game that came out 6 weeks ago" is very different to "we've decided to put the series on hiatus".

E: Vanquish is the most fun Platinum game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

To me, "we haven't started working on the next game yet but are still adding things to the multiplayer mode of the game that came out 6 weeks ago" is very different to "we've decided to put the series on hiatus".

You're making a lot of assumptions about multiplayer support meaning a healthy game which are not really backed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

You're making a lot of assumptions about multiplayer support meaning a healthy game which are not really backed up.

No, I'm only saying that the support exists. If I were to guess, I'd guess that the ME:AMP is not nearly as healthy as they expected it to be.

Like, I'm basically just being a pedantic dick about internet doomsaying and the inaccurate use of quotes around "on hiatus" implying that anyone official, anywhere, actually used the term "on hiatus".

I legitimately hate that this stuff bothers me, if it helps!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Anecdote isn't data but of the 5 IRL former Mass Effect fans I know...

4 didn't buy Andromeda (I was one of them).
1 pre-ordered Andromeda 6 months ago, forgot about it, was surprised when it showed up on release day, decided to keep and play it, and told the other 4 not to bother with it until it was 20 bucks. Also said the multiplayer wasn't very good.

Again, anecdote is not data, there's plenty of people from the ME3 thread in the Andromeda thread who decided to buy it, but the general consensus is that the game starts off on the wrong foot and has some real egregious bugs and balance problems on the MP side. So, not exactly the slam dunk they needed after the divisiveness (read: hatred) toward the conclusion of ME3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't just retcon 3's ending. The only people who would've been upset are the chodes who wrote all those thinkpieces about how gamers don't understand art when the game came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I will admit I'm eating a small amount of crow over pointing to the metacritic scores for mass effect andromeda as a metric for how bad it is when incredible game and maybe goty prey is beating it there by a paltry 5 or 6 points

• Locked thread