Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

Theres no way Ann knew that harming a cognition wouldnt harm the person in the real world yet. That was insanely risky.

I phrased it poorly. The thing she murdered was the Ann in the bikini, not Kamoshida himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Harrow posted:

Like, she has a pseudo-Persona? What's up with that? I don't think we've ever seen something like that in the series before, someone basically halfway being awakened but not quite.

Moltrey posted:

Persona 3 sort of touched on it where Strega needed experiential drugs to summon their Personas and werent able to be summoned too well. The girl Junpei liked would instantly start getting strangled by her Persona whenever she summoned hers. I feel like there's another instance because that concept of Haru's persona not being solidified yet wasn't weird to me

There's another instance of it in Persona 4 Arena - Labrys, like Aigis, was developed as a weapon system capable of using a Persona. Their development process for her involved having her fight and destroy other test models like herself while also spending some free time with other test models. She eventually developed her own personality, but her creators only ever thought of her as a tool and treated her as such. Her final test before being declared complete was to kill one of the test models she'd grown close to as a friend, and then afterwards, the scientists decided they were going to delete all of her memories that didn't have anything to do with her combat performance (notably, they didn't explicitly tell her this... they just talked about it in front of her like she wasn't even there). The trauma of being forced to kill her sisters, not being recognized as a person despite having and displaying a will and desires of her own, and finally learning they were going to take away her memories caused her to partially awaken her Persona and attempt to escape the development facility.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

People like these? They felt like the most hamfisted romance novel tier bullshit to me. the equivalent slinks for the male protagonist are actually some of my favorite dating slinks in the series because you just kinda hang out and gradually they start to like you (instead of a link that's almost entirely the same until you make an arbitrary "pls be GF" choice near the end, like 4/5, it actually felt like a relationship that progressed in a natural way). Meanwhile the female ones are all about how awesome and special you are & you've completely changed my life by existing and picking responses as I monologue at you main character chan

her other unique ones are whatever too, they're basically equivilent as the male ones except for junpei slink which feels completely pointless because it's basically just "I think you're pretty cool and have your back" repeated over and over again because all his actual character development happens in the story. iirc it also isn't effected by junpei being mad at you in story which is really dumb

something you didn't mention is that P3P has notable loading times even when installed, this and being effectively forced into direct control means that fights take even longer in a game where they already run thin after a while
it's cool actually that in a setting marred with the reminder of death and despair, a bubbly girl hanging out with everyone makes them feel better and appreciative of her being there. this is worlds better than the dour grey paste that is the persona 3 protagonist just kinda standing next to people as they talk about their problems. junpei's link is good because it can never not be platonic so you get to see this initially kinda skeevy guy become your friend.

junpei isn't even mad at you, he feels lesser about himself because for a while, he's the only active male in S.E.E.S and his large ego makes him feel like he should be respected in the group more because of his gender so him hanging out with you is a good arc of him mellowing out and being your friend

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Palace 3, is there any way to get to the safe room before the midboss? It always weird how the game gives the "we need to be careful and attack" prompt when you try to enter the hallway with a saferoom. I imagine it was suppose to be used before that fight as there is another safe room immediately after that fight.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I phrased it poorly. The thing she murdered was the Ann in the bikini, not Kamoshida himself.

No I mean, we the player know that cognitions arent real people because of the earlier scene with Ryuji and Morgana and the slaves in the castle. But ann didnt know that. She swung a sword at herself and killed herself. She had no idea that wouldn't kill her.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Meme Emulator posted:

No I mean, we the player know that cognitions arent real people because of the earlier scene with Ryuji and Morgana and the slaves in the castle. But ann didnt know that. She swung a sword at herself and killed herself. She had no idea that wouldn't kill her.

I don't think Ann noticed that was her. She only commented about the fake the second time you see it before the Kaneshiro boss fight.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Meme Emulator posted:

Who cares, Ann doesn't give a gently caress

Ann was about to incinerate Kamoshida knowing it would have killed him and not a human alive would convict her

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

Who cares, Ann doesn't give a gently caress

Ann was about to incinerate Kamoshida knowing it would have killed him and not a human alive would convict her

Im just sayin it was risky! Ive always got a morbid train of thought running when I see things like that though. It would be a sorta funny scene if the metaverse worked differently and killing a cognition was like killing a shadow and Ann just dropped dead after running Princess Ann through

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Meme Emulator posted:

Im just sayin it was risky!
look she just freed the spirit of her rebellion, i'd be mad if she didn't instantly almost murder herself

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

it's cool actually that in a setting marred with the reminder of death and despair, a bubbly girl hanging out with everyone makes them feel better and appreciative of her being there. this is worlds better than the dour grey paste that is the persona 3 protagonist just kinda standing next to people as they talk about their problems.

drop the false equivalence, slinks are the exact same ``just kinda standing next to people as they talk about their problems`` in either game & watching P3 protagonist stop being such a sad sack in spite of his extremely lovely circumstances in order to connect with and cheer up others is way more interesting than a sociopath who smiles all the time for no reason and is okay with dating middle schoolers.

also P3P`s version of fortune can go gently caress itself, making ryoji look the exact same makes negative sense & is only the case because people wanted to date that character and making it a mysterious girl instead would require them to rewrite too much

ROFL Octopus posted:

by the way, if you're insanely masochistic and love bad mechanics, you can still set the AI in P3P to auto, it just has smarter AI.
this isn`t the case at all, for some reason they removed a bunch of AI tactics that made them actually do their jobs because persona 4 (and this game) also did that for some reason. beyond removing the cool bit of story and gameplay interaction where the protagonist gets better as a leader and less of an introverted weirdo over time & thus can tell them to do more complicated things, it just makes the AI pointless because now you can`t tell mitsuru to only focus on knocking down enemies and you have to risk her wasting turns on mind charge marin karin or something

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

Ă¢Â€Â• Corey Dostoyevsky

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen mentions of getting the "true" ending.

Is there a way to post the criteria for the true ending without major spoilers? Is it based on s-links?

I hope it's not "get everyone to X level", because I didn't do much with Devil, Hanged Man, or Tower, and there's not enough time left to get them very high.

Harrow posted:

I think the thing with "beep boop" is that you're still early in your friendship with Makoto so it's probably not the time to be ribbing her yet.

You don't really get many other options to poke fun at her later, though, so I can't really say whether she'd take it better once she and Joker are closer.

I liked that Haru's reaction on, like, day 1 of her S-Link to the joke response is, "Oh, that's a joke. I like jokes :) "

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People with positive dispositions make me v mad, ama

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen mentions of getting the "true" ending.

Is there a way to post the criteria for the true ending without major spoilers? Is it based on s-links?

I hope it's not "get everyone to X level", because I didn't do much with Devil, Hanged Man, or Tower, and there's not enough time left to get them very high.

Guide to getting the true ending:

Don't be a narc.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

LuiCypher posted:

Guide to getting the true ending:

Don't be a narc.

Also: gently caress The Man, in whichever form He takes shape.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

About endings: I liked the Good Ending a bit more than True because you get to be batman and Akira's smirk. Ofc it's not the intended result but being a irl superhero/villain is much cooler than going back to your hometown.

Romance in P4/5: I never felt any of the romances worked well in as in this is a Good Idea other than gotta collect 'em all aspect. Even my favorite character Naoto ruined her final ranks and I ended up being friends because I forgot the proper choices. Lol, asking people to be your GF in the last 2 ranks is awk as hell even if you have Debonair charm. Hence I don't understand the reasoning you how players request the main plot changes elements if you're dating or not.

Hence I'm always iffy if they make dating canon because they will mess up the SL more often than not. On the flip side, I did like how the declined options were less terrible than "Leave room" compared to P4.

About Futuba: I didn't complete her SL yet but she acts much younger than 15 and is a complete recluse so it felt uncomfortable to date her since we're her 1st friend in a long time. She reminds me of myself too much but yeah cognitive dissonance.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alder posted:

About endings: I liked the Good Ending a bit more than True because you get to be batman and Akira's smirk. Ofc it's not the intended result but being a irl superhero/villain is much cooler than going back to your hometown.

Romance in P4/5: I never felt any of the romances worked well in as in this is a Good Idea other than gotta collect 'em all aspect. Even my favorite character Naoto ruined her final ranks and I ended up being friends because I forgot the proper choices. Lol, asking people to be your GF in the last 2 ranks is awk as hell even if you have Debonair charm. Hence I don't understand the reasoning you how players request the main plot changes elements if you're dating or not.

Hence I'm always iffy if they make dating canon because they will mess up the SL more often than not. On the flip side, I did like how the declined options were less terrible than "Leave room" compared to P4.

About Futuba: I didn't complete her SL yet but she acts much younger than 15 and is a complete recluse so it felt uncomfortable to date her since we're her 1st friend in a long time. She reminds me of myself too much but yeah cognitive dissonance.

I wouldn't call it a good ending. To illustrate, where are the rest of the Phantom Thieves?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

I wouldn't call it a good ending. To illustrate, where are the rest of the Phantom Thieves?

Oops, I thought they were at the hideout. I also expected to see Akechi in one of the jail cells but there's always the remake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

I don't really think it's much of a good ending when to get it you need to bargain with an evil God who represents everything you've been fighting against, in order to get total societal control. Stooping to the same level of all the lovely adults in the world.

Also, the true ending is good because it's a road trip and road trips are incredibly cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yaldy's ending is giving up your ideals and any chance of actually changing anything ever to gloryhog. You're basically Goro.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like the true ending because I like to think your friends are just moving in with you now, and you're gonna rent an apartment and be roomies 4 lyfe. Just so long as MC doesn't move back in with his scummy parents, because gently caress them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deified Data posted:

I like the true ending because I like to think your friends are just moving in with you now, and you're gonna rent an apartment and be roomies 4 lyfe. Just so long as MC doesn't move back in with his scummy parents, because gently caress them.

I mean They aren't really scummy? He went to the only school that could take him after his arrest, it really isn't their fault it was so far away. And once his name is cleared they want him to move back home to his actual life he lived for 16 years before the assault happened. That's... not really unreasonable or uncommon.

Also they're literally non-entities in the story so trying to assign any character to them is weird

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zore posted:

I mean They aren't really scummy? He went to the only school that could take him after his arrest, it really isn't their fault it was so far away. And once his name is cleared they want him to move back home to his actual life he lived for 16 years before the assault happened. That's... not really unreasonable or uncommon.

Also they're literally non-entities in the story so trying to assign any character to them is weird

I think the fact that they are complete non-entities is what makes them seem so bad, even if it is a narrative trope, the fact that you don't hear from them at all makes it seem like they don't care. At least in Persona 4 they were out of the country the whole time.

This is actually why I think the parents in Earthbound are some of the most memorable characters in the game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game really encourages the player to see the Sakura's as Joker's family and that combined with how the majority of adults in the game are lovely and bad makes it pretty easy for players to have a bad opinion of Joker's family. And that's fair I suppose.

I doubt they're actively awful but considering they dropped him off with a complete stranger and left him to his own devices they don't seem to care too much about the guy if we're just looking at the information presented in the game. Either way though, Joker's just headed home to complete school and then he's going straight back to Tokyo to take over Leblanc and that is obviously and clearly canon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Walrus Pete posted:

Replace Mishima with Mysterious Fox imo

Don't change anything else about the game, just straight up replace Mishima's character with a fox.

"Ain't nothing in the rulebook that says a [fox] can't play [volleyball]."

Also Kamoshida is now also guilty of animal abuse. That monster.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Motto posted:

Yaldy's ending is giving up your ideals and any chance of actually changing anything ever to gloryhog. You're basically Goro.

I thought Goro was REVENGE on his father and society? For a rival we didn't really clash enough in the game. Oh well.

Alright, so it's not a Good Ending but it's the semi-realistic ending once you think about it. It's cool that you can change a small aspect of society for the better but it's incredibly idealistic to say it's a HUGE improvement overall. I admit I'm biased since I'm in the USA and life under Trump has made me even more cynical.

Deified Data posted:

I don't have any specific feels wrt to Akira's parents other than Anime. I'm under the impression they're OK people just not really involved but still want the best for their son. Also, Sojiro is acting as a probation officer so it's not like he's a complete stranger in Tokyo.

I leave you with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT8w7fwG808

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know how realistic (engame spoilers)that ending is considering it involves basically mind-altering all criminals and authority figures through magical abilities and having the public mindlessly agree with all of it probably due to the influence of the powerful God you struck a deal with.

Not that the True Ending is super realistic either since you shoot a metaphorical representation of societal sloth and apathy in the skull. But the end result of the people of Tokyo becoming less apathetic and starting to think for themselves isn't the most far-fetched thing.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The game really encourages the player to see the Sakura's as Joker's family and that combined with how the majority of adults in the game are lovely and bad makes it pretty easy for players to have a bad opinion of Joker's family. And that's fair I suppose.

I doubt they're actively awful but considering they dropped him off with a complete stranger and left him to his own devices they don't seem to care too much about the guy if we're just looking at the information presented in the game. Either way though, Joker's just headed home to complete school and then he's going straight back to Tokyo to take over Leblanc and that is obviously and clearly canon.

Shujin was the only school willing to take him. And frankly, while dropping everything in their hometown and moving to Tokyo for a year would be a pretty pro move on their part, it's also extremely unfeasible. You'd have to find a place to live, maybe get a new job if you can't work from home...

I've also heard what I suspect are baseless rumors that Joker's parents are going through a divorce, though I haven't seen anything supporting that in the game proper.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even if your son had to transfer hours away, you could like, call him or see that he's alive and not arrested for being a nasty crimeboy. There's not even a point where Sojiro goes "Your parents called" or "What are your parents going to say about this."

They're not even real imo

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Should of let you call home at night for Kindness points and maybe some cash.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Shujin was the only school willing to take him. And frankly, while dropping everything in their hometown and moving to Tokyo for a year would be a pretty pro move on their part, it's also extremely unfeasible. You'd have to find a place to live, maybe get a new job if you can't work from home...

I've also heard what I suspect are baseless rumors that Joker's parents are going through a divorce, though I haven't seen anything supporting that in the game proper.

Yeah that rumor has no basis I think. And I meant more that his family doesn't try to check up on him or anything, and although that can easily be explained as something that's ignored for the sake of the game, but people probably ain't going to be thinking about that while playing. So I think assuming Joker's parents ain't that great is a pretty understandable conclusion to reach.

Though I just kinda assumed they're distant rather than actually bad people or anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You could have had your mom call you and ask you if you've been getting enough sleep all the time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is actually why I think the parents in Earthbound are some of the most memorable characters in the game
Your dad should call you at night and tell you to "work to exhaustion when you're young", and if you've ever heard a weird saying like that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean, what would having the parents talk to him on screen accomplish?

They are plot devices more than characters. And that's totally fine since the game is already juggling an enormous cast and has you interacting/connecting with a father figure as a major part of the plot. Having them as well would be completely extraneous and wouldn't add poo poo to the story.

Its also a deliberate thematic thing to have your game start with Joker having a clean slate of an empty room and no connections that you, the player, fill up over the course of the game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

Joke Answer: to say they exist

Actual Answer: almost all of the party members have some connection to their parents that's responsible as to who they are and why they're seeking rebellion. Joker not having them is weird

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Strangely, in a game about lovely adults most of the party's parents are described as being good people. Ryuji and Haru's dads excepted.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
when you hear that Joker's been stealing hearts since like the fifth grade

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Joke Answer: to say they exist

Actual Answer: almost all of the party members have some connection to their parents that's responsible as to who they are and why they're seeking rebellion. Joker not having them is weird

Joker's a silent protagonist and player surrogate. He has implied character, but trying to create familial relations that the player doesn't feel they define doesn't work as well. Entirely because they take place outside the scope of the game is outside the scope of that. You build your relationship with everyone from the ground up because its putting the Player into the game world. Having preexisting stuff complicates that.

If he had a more defined character, sure. But as it is I don't think it works.

Hell we have like four or five defined, canon, actions and thoughts all Jokers have and people still reject some of them see the dumb 'Joker was masterminding the whole game to get back at Shido' theory when we literally see his thoughts and he doesn't know who Shido is until October.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zore posted:

They are plot devices more than characters. And that's totally fine since the game is already juggling an enormous cast and has you interacting/connecting with a father figure as a major part of the plot. Having them as well would be completely extraneous and wouldn't add poo poo to the story.

Its also a deliberate thematic thing to have your game start with Joker having a clean slate of an empty room and no connections that you, the player, fill up over the course of the game.

:same:

Maybe we can have them send emails to Akira asking about how his classes are coming along? No one called Yu over the entirety of P4 and I'm OK with that. Also, 1 yr isn't that long compared to real life people never seeing their family for years because of work.