Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Yeah, sorry about that - I was aiming for your taillight but I was pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Spiteful little dog fucker

It's times like these that I kind of wish I had a twitter account purely so I could tweet:

"To the prick who hosed my dog at Marulan Maccas this morning - I hope you enjoy your dented car"

Also lol, even Chris Kenny knows the libs are going to gut medicare.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean to be fair the ALP has always been a bunch of shithead racists careful to not appear too radical.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The man who pied Alan Joyce

quote:

Today Tony Overheu identified himself as the man responsible, going on Perth’s 6PR breakfast show to explain his actions.

In a bizarre and rambling statement provided to 6PR, Mr Overheu implied that his actions were triggered by corporate support for same sex marriage.

So it's baddies vs baddies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AFR posted:

[Scott Morrison] could have brought a budget which removed red tape and regulation, and encouraged real private sector growth. Instead, this budget is about preserving totems like Medicare and locking in another $18bn in spending over a decade on an unreformed school system that does not produce results. It will entrench another Labor spending monument in the form of the National Disability Income Scheme that explodes in cost from $3bn to $20bn a year in five years’ time.

Jesus loving christ AFR.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budget/budget-2017-treasurer-delivers-the-wrong-budget-20170503-gvxuw9

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AFR posted:

gently caress the poor harder

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I can't imagine the liberals would literally ever be elected again if they fully privatised medicare. Australians are loving idiots, but they like universal healthcare.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't imagine the liberals would literally ever be elected again if they fully privatised medicare. Australians are loving idiots, but they like universal healthcare.

This is why they're doing death by a thousand paper cuts.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Of course not. So they are making it less and less effective until people hate it, then they can sell it off.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Right, but the AFR was complaining they didn't get rid of 'totems like medicare.' Which just seems to show an incredible lack of strategic thinking on their part. I guess they might be trying to make people think that this budget is less right wing than it is, by loudly complaining it's not evil enough.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Shorten_Suite/status/862230782617591808

AgentF
May 11, 2009
All the papers are entreating that this is a Labor budget but I don't see that it is. Seems more to me like it is a coordinated effort to just claim it is a "Labor budget" so that Labor would look awfully obstinate if they block it in the senate. What's Labor about it?

It's still a cruel and incompetent budget in that it drug tests social security recipients, cuts funding to the already-crippled CSIRO and makes the housing affordability crisis worse.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

AgentF posted:

It's still a cruel and incompetent budget in that it drug tests social security recipients, cuts funding to the already-crippled CSIRO and makes the housing affordability crisis worse.

So a Labor budget :v:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Well going by the last Labor administration the budget might very well do something about carbon emissions or increase revenue from mining.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

totems like Medicare

"totems like Medicare"

totems
Medicare

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

AgentF posted:

All the papers are entreating that this is a Labor budget but I don't see that it is. Seems more to me like it is a coordinated effort to just claim it is a "Labor budget" so that Labor would look awfully obstinate if they block it in the senate. What's Labor about it?

AFR posted:

[Scott Morrison] could have brought a budget which removed red tape and regulation, and encouraged real private sector growth. Instead, this budget is about preserving totems like Medicare and locking in another $18bn in spending over a decade on an unreformed school system that does not produce results. It will entrench another Labor spending monument in the form of the National Disability Income Scheme that explodes in cost from $3bn to $20bn a year in five years’ time.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Australian financial review doesn't understand that a service covering a few trial zones will cost more when rolled out to the country

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The narrative from News Corp et al is that this is a Labor budget (but better) and fair as

They're trying to wedge the ALP and tell the people this poo poo sandwich is steak. Don't believe them.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
It bugs me that they keep bumping the Medicare levy instead of raising taxes progressively. Then again gotta gently caress those poors.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The media want a close election to get more money. By saying the budget is more like Labor they hope to bring the polls closer and secure more exciting media coverage when election time rolls around.

Also someone told me that an LNP member in QLD is going to stand down soon due to health issues causing a by election. However if Labor wins that seat then that brings parliament to 70-70 meaning there is a chance of an early election.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
One of these things is not like the other - one of these things is not the same

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tones 4 PM

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

One of these things is not like the other - one of these things is not the same

I can think of a few that do.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:toot:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AgentF posted:

The LNP Right benefit from this narrative as much as the media who are overwhelmingly right wing. Only a neoliberal would regard public heathcare as a 'totem'. For the political media, ideology is just as important as cash, one affects the other.

Literally raiding the piggybank for revenue demonstrates how completely cornered the government is, yet somehow this will work because wages will magically rise. They'd better, because unemployment is staying where it is, and interest rates will definitely rise at least to cover increasing inflation, and this levy. Which makes me wonder if raising interest rates wasn't​ also an indirect goal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I still can't work out what that Daily Telegraph budget front page was about. Must be all that coke that's floating round Sydney.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

Also someone told me that an LNP member in QLD is going to stand down soon due to health issues causing a by election. However if Labor wins that seat then that brings parliament to 70-70 meaning there is a chance of an early election.

Did they say who? Because I've heard similar rumours and it would be interesting if they are about the same person.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Predicted wage growth in the budget: (lol)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My source reckons the member for Bonner has cancer but the media won't spill the beans cause they're all waiting on him to announce retirement.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/862445231601442816

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anidav posted:

My source reckons the member for Bonner has cancer but the media won't spill the beans cause they're all waiting on him to announce retirement.

Yeah, I heard the same. Great, guess I better get the branch warmed up for the by-election.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Amazing :allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Yeah, I heard the same. Great, guess I better get the branch warmed up for the by-election.

But the people I talk to reckon Malcolm would just hold another election because Bonner has a high chance of going ALP and the Coalition doesn't want to risk a vote of no confidence.

Which is why this is an election budget

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The sheer amount of outrage coming out of the banks is boggling. Increasing their taxes is an 'assault' and 'unwarranted'. Then the petulant toddler kicks in and they scream that they are going to pass it all on to customers anyway so Nayh Nayh Nayh. I expect a rape comparison from one of them by COB.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anidav posted:

But the people I talk to reckon Malcolm would just hold another election because Bonner has a high chance of going ALP and the Coalition doesn't want to risk a vote of no confidence.

Which is why this is an election budget

Also plausible. Bonner could have gone ALP in 2016 but they pulled support from their candidate in the last couple of weeks. Pre-selection fights between Labor Left and Right candidates have reportedly been pretty brutal.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Cartoon posted:

The sheer amount of outrage coming out of the banks is boggling. Increasing their taxes is an 'assault' and 'unwarranted'. Then the petulant toddler kicks in and they scream that they are going to pass it all on to customers anyway so Nayh Nayh Nayh. I expect a rape comparison from one of them by COB.

It's not hard to forsee this is what would happen. Big corporations would rather jack up prices, cut staff or cut services than even think about touching wages or bonuses at the top end

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't wait for the campaign against the Coalition that is similar to what the mining companies and the poker machine venues did against Labor.

Kinda reminds me of a graph done back around 2012 that showed Windows Mobile phone market share bouncing back, to the point that they would be outselling Android and iPhones this year

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

I can't wait for the campaign against the Coalition that is similar to what the mining companies and the poker machine venues did against Labor.
Kinda reminds me of a graph done back around 2012 that showed Windows Mobile phone market share bouncing back, to the point that they would be outselling Android and iPhones this year

Or every bitcoin chart ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Can someone post that hilarious graphic that shows actual growth vs predicted growth since 2012? Thought I had it but I don't.

• Locked thread