Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

What are those rectangles over the windows on the right? They aren't curtains, the curtains are white. There are also blinds. And then . . . rectangles. I suppose they could be sheers, but sheers usually go under the curtains, not over them, and the window on the left doesn't have them.

I feel like these are photos from an alternate reality where Trump failed to become a billionaire and instead owned a moderately successful used car dealership in New Jersey. He kept the same sense of style, but couldn't afford to gold plate everything.

Looks like there's a curtain that pulls across the whole wall there, so I guess that's their solution to not being able to hang something on that empty curtain-wall when it's extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Darchangel posted:

That is an odd choice for the wall of one's sewing room.

Fair enough, I was thinking late '60s, early '70s.

edit: Lileks.com is an awesome resource for how bad that era was. The recipe books/cards are truly frightening. So much aspic.

I was born in the early 60s. That is the decor of my youth.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

sup harvest-gold/avocado appliance bud

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My mother found out to her dismay that not only did the workman installing her new stove into her granite countertop not bother to actually probably latch the fucker in, he compounded the mistake by glueing it into the countertop with liquid nails.

:lol: at ever fixing that without some wicked solvents.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, the recommended procedure is heating it up to 140°F and coating it in petroleum jelly or mineral spirits for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. So not THAT wicked, just time consuming. Fortunately, being a stove, you have a convenient heat source! And mineral spirits are pretty benign. But also flammable I think? Or am I thinking of mineral oil. Either way, exercise caution.

But really, an oscillating tool works wonders removing that crap from hard surfaces like granite, provided it's in a place you don't mind scratching up a bit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

so i just went and checked something on a hunch... apparently the home inspector, when noting the GFCI outlets in the bathroom and kitchen with the GFCI Protected stickers on them (they're just normal outlets), failed to notice the panel does not contain any GFCI breakers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SoundMonkey posted:

so i just went and checked something on a hunch... apparently the home inspector, when noting the GFCI outlets in the bathroom and kitchen with the GFCI Protected stickers on them (they're just normal outlets), failed to notice the panel does not contain any GFCI breakers

The domestic electrical equivalent of those 'magic stickers' that improve the sound quality from you $10000 stereo.

Nobody has died therefore you cannot prove that it doesn't work and 'testing' it cheating.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Welp this explains my mother's design concepts

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A White Guy posted:

My mother found out to her dismay that not only did the workman installing her new stove into her granite countertop not bother to actually probably latch the fucker in, he compounded the mistake by glueing it into the countertop with liquid nails.

:lol: at ever fixing that without some wicked solvents.
She chasing the workman?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Suspect Bucket posted:

QUICKLY, TO THE CRAFT ARMORY

Singer makes more than sewing machines, you know.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

~Coxy posted:

Singer makes more than sewing machines, you know.

Oh yes. I'd like a Singer .45 and an IBM M-1 Garand to go shoot guys wearing Hugo Boss.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

What are those rectangles over the windows on the right? They aren't curtains, the curtains are white. There are also blinds. And then . . . rectangles. I suppose they could be sheers, but sheers usually go under the curtains, not over them, and the window on the left doesn't have them.

I feel like these are photos from an alternate reality where Trump failed to become a billionaire and instead owned a moderately successful used car dealership in New Jersey. He kept the same sense of style, but couldn't afford to gold plate everything.

Look at this sheltered weirdo who doesn't know about arabesque window oblongs haha what a goon

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh yes. I'd like a Singer .45 and an IBM M-1 Garand to go shoot guys wearing Hugo Boss.

My International Business Machine

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's the bullet exchange market.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Neutrino posted:

Do you think my house looks like funny? Funny how? Is it funny like a clown? Does it amuse you? How the gently caress is it funny?
"Funny like a clown" describes it pretty well, actually. Sorry Tommy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SoundMonkey posted:

To clarify, there are no GFCI outlets anywhere in the house? Because those stickers can be used for outlets downstream of a GFCI outlet, not just ones on a GFCI breaker.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Every inspector I've ever seen will just put his outlet tester in and hit the GFCI test button, rather than trust labeling or even the immediate presence of a GFCI outlet.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Same. That 70's interior explosion house triggered an acid flashback when I went to the Rorer's (rich kids, twins) house party trippin on some intense 70's blotter. Paislies & swirlies everywhere in a fake castle setting, and they had a Lazy Boy with a speaker practically inside it. Listening to 2112 cranked loud helped me get my poo poo together.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I've also seen the GFCI Protected stickers applied to GFCI outlets, but in that case I think it was that thing where you wire them weird to get a pseudo ground out of it.

The place was a flip that the buyer was renting out, so I think the flipper had just done the math and found that replacing every single outlet in the entire house with a GFCI was somehow cheaper than just rewiring.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

The place was a flip that the buyer was renting out, so I think the flipper had just done the math and found that replacing every single outlet in the entire house with a GFCI was somehow cheaper than just rewiring.

God yes. I mean if you have to tear open walls and poo poo to re-wire? Yes. It takes ten minutes to swap out a regular outlet with a GFCI one and you can buy contractor 10-packs of GFCI outlets for $78 so that's $7.80 per outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gfi-Gfci-Outlet-Pack-White/dp/B003SS5MH2

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

God yes. I mean if you have to tear open walls and poo poo to re-wire? Yes. It takes ten minutes to swap out a regular outlet with a GFCI one and you can buy contractor 10-packs of GFCI outlets for $78 so that's $7.80 per outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gfi-Gfci-Outlet-Pack-White/dp/B003SS5MH2

To put it in perspective, you couldn't even try to fish a new wire for less than $100, so that becomes a hell of a steal.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slugworth posted:

To clarify, there are no GFCI outlets anywhere in the house? Because those stickers can be used for outlets downstream of a GFCI outlet, not just ones on a GFCI breaker.

this is sadly not the case when tested

edit: called the home inspector to ask and now he's not sure if he tested THAT EXACT ONE and "maybe it was behind a towel" and whatnot, he's coming back to test it himself this afternoon

edit2: which is good since i don't actually have a GFCI outlet tester, but killing the GFCI outlet with the test button left the other one live as heck

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

sup harvest-gold/avocado appliance bud

Yup, we had a Harvest Gold stove and fridge when I grew up. My mom was so disappointed when she couldn't find a replacement stove in that color when it was time to remodel ... like, five years ago. That thing lasted a long time. We still have the fridge in the basement for extra space when it's time for Christmas or wedding cookies. ("Oh, not too many this year. Only about 120 dozen.")

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

edit2: which is good since i don't actually have a GFCI outlet tester

Come now everyone has a metal clothes hanger, old power cable, or a paperclip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yup, we had a Harvest Gold stove and fridge when I grew up. My mom was so disappointed when she couldn't find a replacement stove in that color when it was time to remodel ... like, five years ago. That thing lasted a long time. We still have the fridge in the basement for extra space when it's time for Christmas or wedding cookies. ("Oh, not too many this year. Only about 120 dozen.")

Lots of power companies have buyback deals for old fridges. Those old style ones suck up a hell of a lot of power, something like four times as much. I remember one deal a few years ago where if you brought in your old working fridge, the power company would just give you a brand new 10 cu ft EnergyStar fridge, or $250 towards a new larger one. Pitty, all the deals now seem to cap off at $50, but hey, free haul-away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

I've also seen the GFCI Protected stickers applied to GFCI outlets, but in that case I think it was that thing where you wire them weird to get a pseudo ground out of it.

That would be the incorrect sticker. "GFCI Protected Outlet" goes on outlets downstream of a GFCI outlet or breaker. An ungrounded GFCI outlet is supposed to be labeled as "No Equipment Ground".

Yeah, I know this almost never happens the right way.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy posted:

My wife and I bought our first house in February, a split level five bedroom built in 1977. I've been replacing outlets older than I am that have left the wiring burned and charred, to illustrate what we've gotten ourselves into.

When we moved in, the master bathroom had a drop ceiling that was the only one in the house. My wife got sick of looking at it, and tore it out. Here's what was underneath it.

This appears to be a fluorescent fixture that had the bulb brackets removed from the housing, screwed into a wood beam, and then wired into the wall. For whatever reason a previous owner just slapped a drop ceiling up there instead of removing that weirdness. I'm guessing that it's still live too, I'll have to figure that out here soon.

Well, I got around to checking this light with my multimeter.

It's live. :cripes:

How has this place not burned down?!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

mycomancy posted:

Well, I got around to checking this light with my multimeter.

It's live. :cripes:

How has this place not burned down?!

After fixing all manner of nonsense in my house that some idiot wired wrong, I have come to the conclusion that it is quite hard to have the power working and also burn down the house.

There was one 4-way switch that was wired in a way that if other switches were in a particular position, it would turn on one light and turn off the other, and when flipped the other would go on and the first one would be off. I have a degree in electrical engineering and I haven't worked out exactly how that was so.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Motronic posted:

That would be the incorrect sticker. "GFCI Protected Outlet" goes on outlets downstream of a GFCI outlet or breaker. An ungrounded GFCI outlet is supposed to be labeled as "No Equipment Ground".

Yeah, I know this almost never happens the right way.

Aha ok. Yeah in the house we now live in and own, I used "GFCI Protected" stickers for some outlets in the kitchen that I'd put in series with/protected by an upstream GFCI receptacle. So the ones I've got now are correct at least.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bozart posted:

After fixing all manner of nonsense in my house that some idiot wired wrong, I have come to the conclusion that it is quite hard to have the power working and also burn down the house.

There was one 4-way switch that was wired in a way that if other switches were in a particular position, it would turn on one light and turn off the other, and when flipped the other would go on and the first one would be off. I have a degree in electrical engineering and I haven't worked out exactly how that was so.

The only real electrical error I've seen here, aside from the afore-hinted lack of GFI protection in bathrooms/kitchen, was one outlet where the neutral/hot were backwards. Apparently many devices are fine with this arrangement! Regardless I feel like I got off pretty well, given that around here it's pretty rare for people to pull permits for anything.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

Lots of power companies have buyback deals for old fridges. Those old style ones suck up a hell of a lot of power, something like four times as much. I remember one deal a few years ago where if you brought in your old working fridge, the power company would just give you a brand new 10 cu ft EnergyStar fridge, or $250 towards a new larger one. Pitty, all the deals now seem to cap off at $50, but hey, free haul-away.

I'm pretty sure if someone tried to haul away the Harvest Gold refrigerator, despite being 67 years old and all of 4'8" the results of her attack would forever haunt Clive Barker.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bozart posted:

Sounds like they inadvertently created a logic gate circuit lol

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

update: the inspector came by on his way to somewhere else, his tester failed to trip the 'protected' outlet.

"woah, there must have been towels in front of that one or something"

the towel rack is four feet away on the other side of the door.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ElCondemn posted:

Sounds like they inadvertently created a logic gate circuit lol

That's impressively stupid if so.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm pretty sure if someone tried to haul away the Harvest Gold refrigerator, despite being 67 years old and all of 4'8" the results of her attack would forever haunt Clive Barker.

Look, it's even got your mom's fridge on the can! DOOOO IIIITTTT

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mycomancy posted:

It's not that hard, a properly working 3-way switch pair is XOR

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mycomancy posted:

But kind of awesome. It's like some kind of Minecraft fortress with redstone wiring, but in real life.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

update: the inspector came by on his way to somewhere else, his tester failed to trip the 'protected' outlet.

"woah, there must have been towels in front of that one or something"

the towel rack is four feet away on the other side of the door.

On the one hand, that's not a big deal to fix.

On the other hand you're paying them to catch that sort of thing...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I think your mom has the same kitchen design as my house, which oddly enough used to be owned by my mom and stepdad. Apparently my stepdad actually had the dishwasher custom painted harvest gold to match the fridge\stove\counters\etc. The fridge is tiny and has freezer door inside the fridge, so good luck defrosting the freezer. Ended up replacing the dishwasher with a Bosch one, cause there was no way in he'll I was going to fix the old one. Can't wait till we remodel the main floor of the house\bring in natural gas so we can get a not horrible stove and a modern fridge.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I got to shoot my uncle's BAR(along with all the other insane guns you can own in arizona) that was built by the British typewriter company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slurry_curry posted:

I got to shoot my uncle's BAR(along with all the other insane guns you can own in arizona) that was built by the British typewriter company.

Hermann loving Göring posted:

In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set—then at least I’ll own something that has always worked.