Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Oh it has polyandry instead of polygyny, that's a twist. At least if I'm understanding the bad writing right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well I'm glad that's over with.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Orv posted:

Some review some years ago pointed out that literally none of the dialogue wouldn't be at all racially problematic (just poo poo) if they hadn't decided every single person on the planet was black. I'd love to know which came first, the racism or the really bad idea.

I looked it up and the story was originally pitched by the same writer who did the racist episode of SG-1, so yeah the racism was there from the beginning.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I looked it up and the story was originally pitched by the same writer who did the racist episode of SG-1, so yeah the racism was there from the beginning.

I was going to look up the writer and make a joke about some other script they wrote being antisemitic but then I saw the SG-1 episode you were talking about was called Emancipation and it was dealing with Carter being sold as a love slave by the not-Mongols.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that tracks.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I think Code of Honor was supposed to have an Japanese themed society but not necessarily all Asian actors. It kind of got out of hand after that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, I'll never understand people who really, really liked the interstitials.

I mean I guess I'm overstating it, people like stuff I don't like all the time; but like, I guess I just thought everyone else who likes MST3K agreed that the interstitials were simply a necessary evil to make it qualify as a real TV show. The thing everyone skips.

Then I read TVtropes.

I honestly thought the interstitials were good because they gave you a break from the movie, and fleshed out some personality for the commentary voices.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Evek posted:

I think Code of Honor was supposed to have an Japanese themed society but not necessarily all Asian actors. It kind of got out of hand after that.

Japanese, eh? I'll give you one guess who came up with that idea.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Picard's red and grey jacket was rad, but this? Ehhhhhh.

https://twitter.com/ANOVOS/status/862354599797112833

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I was all about Star Wars - Babylon 5 - Farscape growing up so I didn't watch too much Trek. I saw all the movies, some random TNG episodes, the first few seasons of Deep Space Nine (which was great but a B5 ripoff at the time), 2 Voyager episodes an uncle threw on a VHS for me, and all of Enterprise. I'm bingeing the original series on netflix now to see how far I get with the franchise. I'm a few episodes into season 3 so far. Here's some unoriginal thoughts:

- The show is mostly dumb but Kirk, Spock and McCoy are legit great. I'm surprised at how little Sulu, Chekhov and Uhura have to do since they'd reached iconic status in my head. I can see why Nichelle wanted to quit before MLK talked her out of it.

- It's weird seeing Chekhov as young comic relief after seeing him for a few seasons of Bester on B5.

- I haven't noticed Sulu say "Oh my!" yet but its funny that the show has found multiple opportunities for him to run around shirtless with a sword.

- The season 2 finale backdoor pilot, was that inspired by Avengers (british)/Dr Who? I haven't checked how the years work out but it sure felt like it.

- Half of the fun is wiki'ing the guest stars after each episode to see what became of them in the last 50 years.

- I was amused to see a few of the godlike beings were retconned into Q members

- Also weird that most of the movies were sequels or retakes on original series episodes. Old earth satellite turned into doomsday weapon, khan part 1, several time travel trips to 19xx Earth, multiple godlike beings, and so on.

- Does the barrier around the galaxy get referenced in the movies or the newer series? I don't remember it at all though it has been a while. I think I checked memory alpha when it first showed up and it got retconned to be the Q Continuum at it again in some post-TNG novels.

- The klingons look worse every appearance, I just finished the one where they were all wearing almost blackface in spray-on tans for the episode where the energy alien pits humans vs klingons to feed on their aggression.

- I'm disappointed the graphics were updated, I'd rather see the original 60s fx. I think both versions are on the blu ray but it isn't worth going back for them now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

oh my god so many posts in a row

Jesus, ever heard of Twitter?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Timby posted:

Isn't that the thing Trump uses?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I enjoyed it. Judging by what has happened to Twitter and how much money it actually makes (nega-money) we need to replace it as soon as possible anyway.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

dont even fink about it posted:

I enjoyed it. Judging by what has happened to Twitter and how much money it actually makes (nega-money) we need to replace it as soon as possible anyway.

Blatherchat. Imagine Twitter, but everyone's anonymous and all your posts are abstract recreations of previous people's posts.

Together we can make it a reality, and make millions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orv posted:

Some review some years ago pointed out that literally none of the dialogue wouldn't be at all racially problematic (just poo poo) if they hadn't decided every single person on the planet was black. I'd love to know which came first, the racism or the really bad idea.

Supposedly that wasn't written into the script and was done by the casting director after a misunderstanding of some kind, and then on shooting day it was too late to change, they were on a schedule. Shrug.

Version one of the script had the people on the planet as Lizardman Aliens, which would've made it a lot goofier but way less awful too.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

vermin posted:

I was going to look up the writer and make a joke about some other script they wrote being antisemitic but then I saw the SG-1 episode you were talking about was called Emancipation and it was dealing with Carter being sold as a love slave by the not-Mongols.

That can't be right...

*Googles*

Guess who has a kidnapping kink?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Despite Kathryn Powers' weird race-kidnapping kink, she apparently laid the groundwork for Garak, so I'll count it as a net positive.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

dont even fink about it posted:

I'm sure there's a Star Trek-themed Mastodon instance out there.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

Picard's red and grey jacket was rad, but this? Ehhhhhh.

https://twitter.com/ANOVOS/status/862354599797112833

Suddenly all those "Cruise Ship Enterprise" jokes seemed a lot more apt.

Also, re: Code of Honor, I think the casting fuckup is actually quite revealing. Basically, there are a shitload of Trek stories that play with old racist adventure serial tropes of noble savages, violent primitives, and "white slavery" (see also: the Klingons, Ferengi), but Code is really mostly notable because they accidentally turned the subtext into text. Paradise Syndrome, the "I am Kirok" episode with the Indians, is the same thing with native americans and Turnabout Intruder and Angel One do it to that species known as "females." The Space Irish in TNG and holodeck Irish in Voyager are awful in the same way and I think in each case it reveals the underlying fogy-isms and cultural obliviousness at the core of Trek. There's a long tradition of hiding offensive stereotypes and retrograde social politics between flimsy "alien" masks and when those masks come off we're all justifiably horrified.

Therefor, I have to reject the notion that Code of Honor is only racist because of its casting. Rather, it was always racist, but the casting just made it impossible to overlook.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I watched it earlier after it was so wonderfully cataloged, and that review I remembered is essentially right. The dialogue is hammy, and stupid, and is definitely indicative of what the Starfleet people consider to be a backwards/pre-modern society, but that in itself doesn't have to be racist. The casting is absolutely what throws it into slow train wreck territory, instead of simply being phenomenally bad television.

If as noted, the original intent was a Japanese society, then yeah, absolutely it's hosed from the ground up. Lizard people? Not so much.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At least in the SG-1 episode Carter gets to win a knife fight.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey, Worst Character Tasha Yar wins a... cross-fit fight?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
And seriously... you're gonna name the alien female Yareena when Yar is also central to the plot? Just sloppy all the way around.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VAK-SEEN

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Another thing about "Code of Honor" is when they do the fight, the guy says ;

"The rules are known; let combat continue until there is a victor. It will not be interrupted."

Then right after that he interrupts the fight when Yareena loses her weapon. Keep in mind, he wants her to lose, it's why he is doing it.

Plus, they have a plan in place to save Yareena's life, but don't give a poo poo about the innocent guy who is killed accidentally from the same poison. They have a cure and are waiting to use it. You'd think they wouldn't want anyone to die but nope, just Yareena. His life isn't worth saving

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sash! posted:

VAK-SEEN

Crisp and clean, no vaccine. Never had it, never will.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Another thing about "Code of Honor" is when they do the fight, the guy says ;

"The rules are known; let combat continue until there is a victor. It will not be interrupted."

Then right after that he interrupts the fight when Yareena loses her weapon. Keep in mind, he wants her to lose, it's why he is doing it.

Plus, they have a plan in place to save Yareena's life, but don't give a poo poo about the innocent guy who is killed accidentally from the same poison. They have a cure and are waiting to use it. You'd think they wouldn't want anyone to die but nope, just Yareena. His life isn't worth saving

You wear the hammer pants, you're taking your life into your own hands.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 16 "The Forsaken"

If you had asked me when I remembered this episode taking place, I would've sworn it was season 3 or later. Guess that shows what 20+ years does to the memory.

Lwaxana always irritates me to some degree, but I recognize that's intended, and she is a good character, partly because of it. Sort of like Q or Bester. Majel seems to have a great deal of fun playing the role, and that helps too.

Conversely I thought this wasn't a great Odo episode. I recognize he's private and all, but he felt out of character for most of the episode, although I can't quite put my finger on why. All the individual elements seem to be there.

The A plot with the computer thing was like a weak TNG rehash (as usual so far), totally mediocre and forgettable.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Orv posted:

You wear the hammer pants, you're taking your life into your own hands.

The Ligonians are actually a human colony that's grown up independent of the Federation. But their entire historical and media database was destroyed except for a pristine copy of Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neal

We could've lived in the timeline where Space Africa was as fleshed out and ever present as the Klingons or Vulcans.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Frakes looks so terrible with a 5 o'clock goatee in Insurrection how have I never noticed that, goddamn.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

At first I got my Archer's screwed up.

and what a show that would be

Exactly the same?

"Forget diplomatic protocol, this dog's awesome!"

"Hey dude, I'm not the one who got knocked up by a lady."

"T'Pol T'Pol. We're tied up together there's no point squirming to get free....wait actually keep doing it."

"Good news we found the cure to your plague like we promised. But I decided I hate you and I want you to die, so" *throws it into the sun, scoots away at Warp 5*

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Orv posted:

Frakes looks so terrible with a 5 o'clock goatee in Insurrection how have I never noticed that, goddamn.

But Troi had never* kissed him with a beard before!

*kissed him quite a bit though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So I'm way late for the last round of discussion about how the Enterprise theme song sucked, but I had an idea last time it came up that I finally put together during a lazy morning yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=839GLhTnCkA

I figured if they're going to use a ballad, they may as well use a good one that's thematically related to, you know, space and stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So I'm way late for the last round of discussion about how the Enterprise theme song sucked, but I had an idea last time it came up that I finally put together during a lazy morning yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=839GLhTnCkA

I figured if they're going to use a ballad, they may as well use a good one that's thematically related to, you know, space and stuff.

Sorta sad that I can't find an HD version of this, which I always thought was great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b83_IqWT2Rw

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just started watching DS9 on Netflix after putting it off forever. Holy poo poo, is Bashir the fuckboy to end all fuckboys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PMush Perfect posted:

Just started watching DS9 on Netflix after putting it off forever. Holy poo poo, is Bashir the fuckboy to end all fuckboys.

He's awful in the first season. He gets better, though ... until they slap a bizarre retcon on him.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bashir's dad is the most realistic character in all of Star Trek.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Timby posted:

He's awful in the first season. He gets better, though ... until they slap a bizarre retcon on him.
Wesley with a medical license, got it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
TNG's first-season finale feels like something a Trekkie would write: the mysterious pointy-eared race unseen since Kirk's day returns, are they friend or foe??, with 'oh you foolish 21st century freezer geezers, we have no use for your primitive 'teevee' here in the 24th century :smug:' as the B-plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

Bashir's dad is the most realistic character in all of Star Trek.

I love that in the 24th century a pilot cum small-time architect is considered a failure. What a nice world.