Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope that looks better in motion, cause yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It's from the Korgoth guy (and he worked on the mickey mouse shorts), so I have hopes

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

TwoPair posted:

I don't remember liking it but I do remember it was on like all the loving time

Yeah I remember hating it but I also remember watching a lot of episodes of it.

Pakled posted:

I still get this song stuck in my head sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLRJyWe814

Oh god yeah I forgot all about this. I loved this. Reminds me a lot little shop of horrors, which I'm guessing is the main homage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's annoying that I can't find a reliable source for Sheep in the Big City because I read about the twist at the end and really want to see it in action:
MAJOR SPOILERS:
Basically, while the plot of the show is General Specific trying to capture the Sheep to use in his sheep powered ray gun, there is another layer, one other person that is ensnared in the situation. One wildcard that is in every side-story in some fashion: The Narrator. The entire series is Sheep's evil plot to trap the Narrator to use him in a narrator powered ray-gun, and every other character in the show is in on it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Speaking of old CN cartoon producers, Tom Warburton (of KND fame) is now producing a Muppet Babies reboot for Disney

Who in the world was yearning for more Muppet Babies?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

Who in the world was yearning for more Muppet Babies?

People who want their dreams come true? People who wish they weren't in this weird world? People who like adventure, romance, great jokes, animal dance!!, have computers, swing through the air, have blue hair, invent things and/or me? It's a pretty wide audience.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

It's annoying that I can't find a reliable source for Sheep in the Big City because I read about the twist at the end and really want to see it in action:
MAJOR SPOILERS:
Basically, while the plot of the show is General Specific trying to capture the Sheep to use in his sheep powered ray gun, there is another layer, one other person that is ensnared in the situation. One wildcard that is in every side-story in some fashion: The Narrator. The entire series is Sheep's evil plot to trap the Narrator to use him in a narrator powered ray-gun, and every other character in the show is in on it.

I think I saw that episode one time ever and never again and until now I assumed I just imagined it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pakled posted:

I hope that looks better in motion, cause yeesh

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/862393185104003072

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's great that they're giving Marco's annoying friends a spin-off show.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
It looks like Land of the Lost meets Uncle Grandpa. This is not a good thing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

funnily enough some of the confirmed crew members worked on Uncle Grandpa

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

raditts posted:

I would argue that Foster's hasn't aged well, and Kids Next Door was never worth watching.

I agree that Foster's was mostly garbage once you got past the pilot, but I heavily disagree in regards to KND(except maybe parts of the final season and the finale itself, and that missed opportunity involving Father in the Numbuh Zero movie will always infuriate me)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KND had an entire episode that was a riff on an Animatrix segment, and you have to respect a cut that deep.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
KND was pretty hit-and-miss, but I always loved how imaginative they were with the 2x4 Technology. As a kid who loved building poo poo out of Legos and smashing them together, watching the kids on the show cobble together machine guns that fired soup cans, that were then strapped onto planes out of garbage cans and soap-box derby cars, was extremely my poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they changed his surname and cut out the words 'super duper' the title might work, but as it stands it feels like a mess that doesn't quite work.

Unfortunately the trailer looks like that too. It's mostly his expressions, which are uncomfortably weird.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The art style looks like a terrible Gravity Falls bootleg.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So... no.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It looks like some horrible lovechild of Gravity Falls and Klasky-Csupo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
KND probably has the very best concept for any kids show I can think of.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

KND probably has the very best concept for any kids show I can think of.

I'd say it's tied with Foster's for that, but it's definitely a strong concept

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Yvonmukluk posted:

...Speaking of terrible Gravity Falls bootlegs, I found this-

https://youtu.be/pvQtY99NZBI

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

A house full of real imaginary friends is pretty good, but childhood being a worldwide secret organisation where you get a cool clubhouse with all of your friends and super advanced homemade tech to battle against the global anti-kid conspiracy led by adults, teenagers and tattle-tales where everything that kids find annoying is just another part of the adult's deliberate machinations is solid gold. That poo poo writes itself.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey anyone remember a cartoon called Big Guy and Rusty.

I only bring it up because a recent question about being unable to hide in the oval office because it has no corners. Context : There's an episode where Rusty has to work with his prototype and he says to hide in a corner and that's a logicbomb and makes the prototype robotboy break.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
What ever happened to that Galactic Kids Next Door thing, was just a fan thing or was that an attempt at a viral resurgence?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

A house full of real imaginary friends is pretty good, but childhood being a worldwide secret organisation where you get a cool clubhouse with all of your friends and super advanced homemade tech to battle against the global anti-kid conspiracy led by adults, teenagers and tattle-tales where everything that kids find annoying is just another part of the adult's deliberate machinations is solid gold. That poo poo writes itself.

I liked it at first but honestly a lot of the charm disappeared as the series' "mythology" got more complex. Like, the idea of adults literally having it out for kids is a pretty smart idea (and I like that a lot of the early episodes like the pilot have elements that suggest that the conflict is really one-sided and not all the adults are really the enemy) but then as the series goes on it gets sillier and sillier like the KND being a global organization and there being a loving moon base and ugh. (Also like, Numbuh 1 is the leader but somehow he's not the leader of the whole organization? How do you land a primo number like 1 and not be in charge?)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PhazonLink posted:

Hey anyone remember a cartoon called Big Guy and Rusty.

I only bring it up because a recent question about being unable to hide in the oval office because it has no corners.

That's a George W Bush quote that was said after that show went off the air.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always thought that the stuff with Agent Zero in the KND movie could have been interesting- after being recommissioned he could have recontextualised the way the Numbuh's saw things, explaining why adults were the way they were. But that's not the story that they were telling.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Like, Foster's should have been an amazing show, but all I remember is how pretty much all the characters became unlikable assholes after about a season. Not even just Bloo; it felt like all of them were just nasty people all the time and it got really annoying.

Except Wilt. Wilt's always cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Like, Foster's should have been an amazing show, but all I remember is how pretty much all the characters became unlikable assholes after about a season. Not even just Bloo; it felt like all of them were just nasty people all the time and it got really annoying.

Except Wilt. Wilt's always cool.

Yeah it's a shame Foster's had one of the strongest pilots of any series I've ever seen and then the final show was mostly crap

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

BattleTech posted:

What ever happened to that Galactic Kids Next Door thing, was just a fan thing or was that an attempt at a viral resurgence?

Viral resurgence. A surprisingly in-depth viral resurgence, but just that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Random question: does anyone actually like the Klasky Csupo style? Even in their good shows, the art style is aggressively unappealing and I can't imagine most of their stuff holds up today. Feels like they were just in the right place at the right time, and any attempts at copying them ended horribly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That uglyass style was loving picture perfect for Duckman and Rugrats.

Hell, it might have worked for As Told by Ginger too, since most people are rear end ugly and awkward as all gently caress in middle school.

I'll also defend the season of The Simpsons where they were hilariously off-model for some of the keys, because the elasticity of the characters and the visuals of the motion that were communicated really helped create a memorable style. Stuff where Bart's mouth goes to the opposite side of his face when being choked, or how half a person's head would linger for a moment as they turned. And, well, the colors too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Hell, it might have worked for As Told by Ginger too, since most people are rear end ugly and awkward as all gently caress in middle school.

I'll also defend the season of The Simpsons where they were hilariously off-model for some of the keys, because the elasticity of the characters and the visuals of the motion that were communicated really helped create a memorable style. Stuff where Bart's mouth goes to the opposite side of his face when being choked, or how half a person's head would linger for a moment as they turned. And, well, the colors too.

I thought their particular style worked pretty good for Aaahh! Real Monsters as well seeing as it was supposed to be about weird looking creatures and humans rarely played a big role in most aspects.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FilthyImp posted:

how half a person's head would linger for a moment as they turned.

Do you have a screenshot / clip of this in action? I can't recall seeing this, but it's been a long time since I've watched any Simpsons, let alone when it was animated by them.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know if I'd class smears and stylistic animation as "off-model". God that was good animation though, it's very depressing comparing the new intro to the old. I remember Ms Botz had the best god drat facial animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dqwTEfliU

I remember reading, I think it was "The Dead Homer Society" or something, and they compare and contrast a lot of old stuff with new stuff. I mean, I get why it looks bad now, all the good writers left and they just want to keep pumping out new episodes on the cheap for easy money, it's just a ghost of its former self now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

Do you have a screenshot / clip of this in action? I can't recall seeing this, but it's been a long time since I've watched any Simpsons, let alone when it was animated by them.

Stuff like this thing Bart does here was all over season one

And yeah, maybe it wasn't exactly off model, but I recall it was a reason why KC was thrown off animation duty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On a different topic, a few christmases ago there was a Professor Branestorm special on british TV starring Harry Hill. I thought it was quite charming, although I was surprised that they went to the story with the super-developing fluid due to probably needing hella budget for the effects. I liked how they tied it into the overarcing narrative of the schoolteacher who had fallen out with the sciences due to blaming them for her lover leaving her.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Benne posted:

Random question: does anyone actually like the Klasky Csupo style? Even in their good shows, the art style is aggressively unappealing and I can't imagine most of their stuff holds up today. Feels like they were just in the right place at the right time, and any attempts at copying them ended horribly.

The Klasky Csupo style was so ugly but almost every show on nickelodeon in the late 90s had it. The style really suffered when they moved away from cel animation.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

honestly outside of Billy's lips I'm not seeing the klasky-csupo resemblance

I've seen a lot of people compare the art to The Beano and that sounds about right

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

honestly outside of Billy's lips I'm not seeing the klasky-csupo resemblance

I've seen a lot of people compare the art to The Beano and that sounds about right

Out of all the comparisons being thrown around I'm surprised nobody brought up Rick and Morty yet, but maybe it's just that's the exact same way every insectlike monster got drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

mycot posted:

Out of all the comparisons being thrown around I'm surprised nobody brought up Rick and Morty yet, but maybe it's just that's the exact same way every insectlike monster got drawn.

especially since a previous pilot from the same guy has a somewhat similar dimension hopping premise to rick and morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLpb4XivEgk