Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ack. my pc got hit by a weird issue with the bayonetta pc port that makes it run like poo poo after you get past the prologue for basically no reason at all, that hasn't been patched in like the month since the game released and the only possible way to fix it is to swap the steamworks dll with a cracked one and even that's not 100%

it's not super awful since i already own it on wii u but it's disappointing as heck after the prologue ran perfectly and it'd be kind of a bummer to refund vanquish with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

so...I guess we're not getting a season 2 then? :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That's 100% sure. I don't know what company owns the Hitman IP. If it's Square then if the game sold under Square's expectations to the point of them letting IO go then I doubt they plan on developing Hitman any time soon even with a different studio. If IO owns the IP then I doubt that a new investor they find would want to continue Sqaure's publishing ideas so they'd probably rather develop a new Hitman if not focus on an entirely different IP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I made the face that one makes upon eating a really sour lemon.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No! gently caress! No!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Square Enix is back on the shitlist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Square Enix is back on the shitlist.

Were they ever not? I thought they did this kinda poo poo all the time.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Palpek posted:

That's 100% sure. I don't know what company owns the Hitman IP. If it's Square then if the game sold under Square's expectations to the point of them letting IO go then I doubt they plan on developing Hitman any time soon even with a different studio. If IO owns the IP then I doubt that a new investor they find would want to continue Sqaure's publishing ideas so they'd probably rather develop a new Hitman if not focus on an entirely different IP.

I remember last year there were rumors that Microsoft was open to selling Lionhead instead of shutting them down but the problem was that any potential buyers also wanted the Fable IP as part of the purchase which Microsoft refused to include, so those talks never went anywhere.

IP is valuable even if the company never does anything substantial with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hitman got rave reviews and sold pretty well

That's our Square! Coming summer 2019: Drakengard 4, because gently caress you

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Dang, Hitman 2016 was the platonic ideal of Hitman

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm crying

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's like a meta thing where 47 will have to infiltrate the Square Enix offices to fix the situation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dianer...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

There's actually a surprising amount of depth to it, especially later on in the game, but it's hard to tell because combos etc are exactly as effective as just hitting light attack and heavy attack over and over separately.

that's a shame

i will say now that i've grabbed a sparse few z's i'm a little disappointed so far, i was hoping for killer7 weird and so far it's just been sort of akira/ghost in the shell weird. it's homer ordering the giant australian beer weird.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

glam rock hamhock posted:

so...I guess we're not getting a season 2 then? :(

The 42 million writedown is probably related to mothballing work for season 2.

Palpek posted:

Under the new CEO, SE gave every in-house IP another chance. This came at the expense of cancelling new IPs and spin-offs of existing IPs in development. While there was a surprise hit (Nier) most of them flopped or had middling sales at best. Now, they've shifted back towards launching new IPs and using licensed IPs since their in-house IPs are hitting a sales ceiling.

Hitman Absolution shipped 3 million in six months and it doesn't seem that Hitman 2016 sold anywhere near that. Even if we're generous with DLC upselling, it wasn't the hit they wanted. One thing about Square-Enix is that they have a very high cost base compared Japanese publishers of a similar size. Much of their expenses come from fielding a wide array of studios from across the world.

Even without the Hitman IP, a few of the younger publishers would be interested in acquiring IO. Zenimax wants to grow larger and IO fits in well with their portfolio. Warner Bros. has recently made acquisition attempts and even made a bid for Eidos at one point. Even without the Hitman IP, Warner owns several unused licences they can have IO work on.

The bigger AAA publishers might buy them. The downside is that they end up being a support/DLC factory studio.

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe it's like a meta thing where 47 will have to infiltrate the Square Enix offices to fix the situation

You infiltrate the Kingdom Hearts development team and find it out it's a perpetual coke party.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

precision posted:

Hitman got rave reviews and sold pretty well
I love the episodic Hitman but I don't think it sold that well. There are no hard numbers available but I read 500-600k copies thrown around. Even given Square's track record of having unreasonable sales expectations that's a different story. The first episodes also didn't review that well, the last one and the full package did but that was too late to really influence the market.

So it's like - I know and you know and your friends know that this is an amazing game but apparently the mainstream market doesn't and Square doesn't want to pump more money into it for this reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Uno on Xbox Live had a gay cruising subculture, which makes that old screenshot of a guy's kid getting banned from XBLA for jerking off during Uno have an entirely new dimension.

You'd think Uno Rush would be the preferred choice for that kind of thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think Hitman was out for like 6-7 months before I knew it was out, because the last thing I heard about it was that they were cancelling all pre-orders.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

What on earth is SE's problem

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

No idea what will happen to IOI or the Hitman name but Square should absolutely sell Deus Ex to Zenimax so the boys at Arkane can have it. Give Harvey Smith his baby back.

Hitman getting shitcanned is a tragedy and I'm more surprised than ever that Nier even got made. I'd rather have a dozen more Hitman seasons than a single Final Fantasy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd like to have both many Hitman seasons and more Final Fantasies

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I want neither because I've only touched the first 2 levels of Hitman 2016 and Final Fantasy 15 was a fun world and a potentially great game spoilt by a confusing combat system :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In Training posted:

I'd like to have both many Hitman seasons and more Final Fantasies
Ideally as many Hitman seasons as there are Final Fantasies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm assuming the plan was 47 seasons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

People still love Final Fantasy, if you put just a number on a FF millions of people show up for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

It's going to probably hit 10 million sales by the end of the year, which is what it needed to break even lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

FF15 was what made them most of their profit, I assume. FF7 is probably the next gangbuster but who knows if splitting it into episodes will kill them or not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DLC Inc posted:

Square should absolutely sell Deus Ex to Zenimax so the boys at Arkane can have it. Give Harvey Smith his baby back.

This would own

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, but its still their flagship franchise and the thing everyone knows SE for. Also I think FF14 like the only other profitable subscription based mmo besides wow these days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Considering there's been one bad Final Fantasy game made in the last 25 years, they're doing pretty drat good at SE on that front

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Even if you ignore core releases - FFXIV is one of the most popular MMOs on the planet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok, i didn't know that about 15's sales numbers. was 13 a big seller too? i was under the impression it didn't do that well but as we've established i'm very out of touch on final fantasies

Serf
May 5, 2011

Final Fantasy 9 remains one of my favorite games of all time, and the best FF I've ever played, except maybe for Tactics.

FFXV was merely okay, really brought down by the bad combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"I can't believe Hitman didn't sell well, pretty much every goon I know loved it. Also, do people still play Final Fantasy?" - The Something Awful forums

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk how well t did but XIII is probably my second favorite FF.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

"I can't believe Hitman didn't sell well, pretty much every goon I know loved it. Also, do people still play Final Fantasy?" - The Something Awful forums

hey i didn't say anything about hitman

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Square Enix will always be bad until they allow Crystal Dynamics to make a new Gex game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

Idk how well t did but XIII is probably my second favorite FF.

If you combine the entire trilogy then it's the best-selling mainline FF ever, though each entry individually sold less than FFX/2 and FF7.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MMF Freeway posted:

What on earth is SE's problem

They're trend chasers with no unified vision that are blessed to be propped up by a blue chip MMO and mobile segment?

Cowcaster posted:

FFXV's success would put it around the level of 5+ million selling games like Dying Light/Mass Effect/Dark Souls rather than than megahits like The Witcher 3/Borderlands/Destiny or industry leaders like Diablo 3/Fallout/Skyrim. Fallout 4 shipped more copies at launch than Final Fantasy VII sold throughout its life across multiple platforms.

There has been massive growth in the open world action RPG genre but Final Fantasy hasn't been able to take advantage of it unlike upstarts like CD Projekt or Techland. However, Final Fantasy is very successful as a mobile/MMO series. I guess the question is why they keep spending so much time and money making AAA console games when smaller developers perform better with a fraction of the time and budget.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Square Enix will always be bad until they allow Crystal Dynamics to make a new Gex game

Be change you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Considering there's been one bad Final Fantasy game made in the last 25 years, they're doing pretty drat good at SE on that front

Which one was the bad one :allears:

• Locked thread