Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

the best thing about p5 besides the entire game is that we have a whole new set of resuable 3d demon models which means it's time for more wacky spinoffs :woop:

raidou owned and p3's entire gameplay shift came as a result of :effort: (or rather, shoestring budget so let's find a way to reuse the same assets a bunch) so i'm looking forward to SMT Tennis or whatever the hell's coming next

It's impossible to quantify how much more interesting it is to fight SMT demons as enemies in battles instead of tables, weighing scales or whatever compared to Persona 3 or 4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's impossible to quantify how much more interesting it is to fight SMT demons as enemies in battles instead of tables, weighing scales or whatever compared to Persona 3 or 4 too.

And similarly, how much more interesting getting personas you've just fought instead of just cards that are randomly appearing after the fight.

I still miss seeing tanks being kicked into orbit though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's true too, yeah.

The tanks can come back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

I want a remake of Noctune where they lower encounter rates and add safety mode.

You are a little coward baby person, unfit for surviving the Conception and forging a new world :black101:

Yinlock posted:

didn't the U.S version already have a lowered encounter rate

i mean we got the version for tiny babies and it kicked our asses, original nocturne hated you on an extremely personal level

The Maniax version still actively hated anyone playing it, just not quite as much. The Matador fight can and will stonewall you if you haven't learned how to play nigh-perfectly by then. Hope you found the Force Magatama sold by the guy nearby...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's a total win/win, too. They were going to need to make all the SMT demon models to be Personas anyway, so why not save themselves the trouble of making a whole different set of enemy models when they can just use those? Fewer models that need to be made and animated and they're more interesting to fight. It's perfect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait for SMTV on Switch.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for SMTV on Switch PS4 :pray:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Storm One posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for SMTV on Switch PS4 Switch

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I keep separating it as SM, then TV. So I keep thinking you're all talking about some hot new television channel.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

freshlybaked posted:

I keep separating it as SM, then TV. So I keep thinking you're all talking about some hot new television channel.

it's only on at midnight when it rains

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think of SMTV Live which was on in the UK when I was like 8.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alder posted:

I want a remake of Noctune where they lower encounter rates and add safety mode.

All I want from a hypothetical Nocturne remake is for the Luck stat to work. They can keep everything else completely identical, and I'll be completely fine with it. Doesn't even matter which version they use as the base, though Maniax Chronicles is better obviously.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

All I want from a hypothetical Nocturne remake is for the Luck stat to work. They can keep everything else completely identical, and I'll be completely fine with it. Doesn't even matter which version they use as the base, though Maniax Chronicles is better obviously.

I didn't know the luck stat was broken

then again I din't pay much attention to stats that weren't STR

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Deleter posted:

I think of SMTV Live which was on in the UK when I was like 8.

Vintage Cat Deeley ;^)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hypothetical Nocturne remake with no random battles but enemies on the field like all the more recent games: good idea/bad idea? On the one hand, random battles suck, but on the other, I could see having a bunch of demon models running around kind of ruining the spooky atmosphere.

That said, if Atlus just took Nocturne, upscaled the environment detail, and subbed in the Persona 5 demon models, I'd buy it even if nothing else changed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Vintage Cat Deeley ;^)

:yeah:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yinlock posted:

It's meant to affect all the usual stuff like accuracy, evasion, Crit rates (both done/received), ailments (likewise) etc. but it doesn't. It affects, uh, basically nothing.

There's a hack that fixes it amongst other things but it's a "rebalancing" hard mode hack so it also does a bunch of generic romhacky things just for the sake of it along with making interesting changes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

It's meant to affect all the usual stuff like accuracy, evasion, Crit rates (both done/received), ailments (likewise) etc. but it doesn't. It affects, uh, basically nothing.

There's a hack that fixes it amongst other things but it's a "rebalancing" hard mode hack so it also does a bunch of generic romhacky things just for the sake of it along with making interesting changes.

oh, interesting

I put most of my points into str and some in agi/vit so luck got ignored completely in all my playthroughs

I'm not sure nocturne would feel the same if you could actually resist ailments/instadeath

e: what I want most out of a remake is a way to do the lucifer fight without taking the foreverwar chaos path

I really like nocturne's true neutral route because you game the system so hard and it rules

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yinlock posted:

You were playing the game correctly my man.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

STR is king in Nocturne, hell yeah. Freikugel all day every day

I remember when I first played Persona 3 and 4 I thought physical attacks were bad because they ate up your HP. I thought, "Why would I ever spend my precious HP? I need that to not die!" I have since learned my lesson. (Though I think maybe physical attacks were worse than magic in Persona 3? But definitely not in 4, 5, or SMT 3/4/Apocalypse.)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hope you found the Force Magatama sold by the guy nearby...

Or you know, fuse Nekomata.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Can you do that so soon?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I remember when I first played Persona 3 and 4 I thought physical attacks were bad because they ate up your HP. I thought, "Why would I ever spend my precious HP? I need that to not die!" I have since learned my lesson. (Though I think maybe physical attacks were worse than magic in Persona 3? But definitely not in 4, 5, or SMT 3/4/Apocalypse.)

I could see that, if only because there's three physical elements. Still good though.

Btw, Apocalypse: yea or nay? I wasn't a huge fan of IV but I heard there were a ton of improvements.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

I didn't like most of the early physical attacks in 3, but the first time I got an all-target heavy (Heavy Wave) it changed my life.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sefal posted:

Can you do that so soon?

You absolutely can.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Harrow posted:

Hmm... 8 hits SOUNDS good, but they're "light"... it's probably nothing special. I'll just fuse this Yoshitsune fellow into something else. Maybe they can learn Deathbound! :)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does each hit have its own chance to critical? If so, that could be a decent way to knock down the few enemies that don't have a specific weakness.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WhiteHowler posted:

Does each hit have its own chance to critical? If so, that could be a decent way to knock down the few enemies that don't have a specific weakness.

I'm making a joke about Hassou Tobi, the most powerful attack skill in both Persona 4 and 5 by a wide, wide margin

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WhiteHowler posted:

It's the most powerful attack in the game by a large margin anyway but Hassou Tobi is all or nothing when it comes to crits, which is even better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Does each hit have its own chance to critical?

From my 100% anecdotal experience, no. Multi-Hit attacks are not like DDS, for example, so it's an all or nothing thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drop Hasso Tobi, keep Brave Blade imo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Did you know: Hassou Tobi means "Eight Ship Leap", a reference to a legend concerning the Battle of Dan-no-Ura. It is said that Minamoto no Yoshitsune leapt from ship to ship, across eight of them, in order to escape from the samurai Noritsune.

Here's a cool woodcut featuring ya boy Yoshi in mid-air, Hassouing the gently caress outta some Tobis

Here's another one. Still Yoshi in the middle:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

Hmm... 8 hits SOUNDS good, but they're "light"... it's probably nothing special. I'll just fuse this Yoshitsune fellow into something else. Maybe they can learn Deathbound! :)

It was me, I'm the person who did that :downs: I... I didn't know... :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know that because of fate/grand order op

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I could see that, if only because there's three physical elements. Still good though.

Btw, Apocalypse: yea or nay? I wasn't a huge fan of IV but I heard there were a ton of improvements.

Depends on what you didn't like about IV.

Gameplay-wise, Apocalypse is better-balanced and also doesn't totally drop off in difficulty at any point. Story-wise, it's pretty similar to IV, with more of an emphasis on the Power of Friendship but also on conflicts between different pantheons of gods which is cool.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Depends on what you didn't like about IV.

Gameplay-wise, Apocalypse is better-balanced and also doesn't totally drop off in difficulty at any point. Story-wise, it's pretty similar to IV, with more of an emphasis on the Power of Friendship but also on conflicts between different pantheons of gods which is cool.

My complaints were pretty much terrible balance, no morality bar so you need a guide to get the only sensible (read: neutral) ending and some demon designs being incredibly lovely and incongruent with the rest of the designs.

However, I did love the general atmosphere and the press turn system so if there's a general sense of improvement it sounds worth checking out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

My complaints were pretty much terrible balance, no morality bar so you need a guide to get the only sensible (read: neutral) ending and some demon designs being incredibly lovely and incongruent with the rest of the designs.

However, I did love the general atmosphere and the press turn system so if there's a general sense of improvement it sounds worth checking out.

I haven't finished Apocalypse, but from what I can tell, which ending you get is a lot easier to control this time around. I sorta lucked into the Neutral ending in SMTIV--I started paying attention to my choices pretty late, but with a light-spoilers guide I was able to end up in the Neutral range even then--but I would've been pretty pissed if I ended up with Law or Chaos, because both of those endings suck in SMTIV.

Apocalypse starts during SMTIV's Neutral ending and I think it has kind of a weird beginning but it gets much more interesting after that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It turns out Yoshitsune's hop-skip-and-eight-jumps is a really popular subject for woodcut triptychs. I've found like five of them.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

Riot Gun Arsene

arsene doesnt use guns :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

arsene doesnt use guns :colbert:

Maybe it's the grandson and he uses a shitload.