Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I remember hearing their 2014 or so release and thinking they were cool as hell and going places. A week or so ago I checked out their stuff they've released in the last 3 years and holy poo poo did they ever nosedive into the weirdest most awful territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nordick posted:

Not as embarrassing as you constantly making GBS threads on everything like an insufferable snob.
EDIT: Ok actually it's more just plain annoying
I'm happy to poo poo on anything as stupid as Ayreon, especially when a dude rolls in and says that it's cool that they've just haphazardly crammed a jazz thing into their awful prog poo poo.

hopterque posted:

Yeah it's always been a couple white guys in the band, I'm pretty sure, but the guy who's the singer and driving force and founder of the band is chinese, but with strong mongolian roots IIRC. I'm pretty sure he can pick whoever he wants to play in his band.

iirc he is specifically from inner Mongolia, which is part of China but is(obviously) culturally Mongolian to a large extent.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

TollTheHounds posted:

I thought the whole point of Tengger Cavalry is that they were all Mongolian dudes. That song was awful, and in the picture at the banner there is 2 loving white guys.

I don't know if this is reverse racism, but I don't want white dudes playing Mongolian folk metal. I bet one of them wrote "Ashley" :saddowns:

Tengger Cavalry used to be based in China (the first few albums were a one man thing but other musicians joined later) but the frontman moved to America a few years ago and recruited new members there to continue the band.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hey metal friends, quick question for you. a friend and I were talking about CKY the other day, which is one of my favorite "sit and groove" bands of all time. we couldn't seem to figure out what genre to call them. would you consider them stoner metal? or alt rock? I've always personally considered them to be just on the inside of the metal spectrum. they're way too hard and heavy (mostly) to be considered alt rock and even too much for hard rock.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Went to see Devin Townsend at the Ready Room this past Tuesday with Oni and Thank You Scientist. Didn't expect him to ever come closer to here than Chicago. The show kicked rear end, the smaller venue was perfect for how he plays and interacts with the audience.

I drew something for him to sign. Wasn't sure if I'd get a signature, but during the finale he noticed it, we excitedly mouthed words at each other until he motioned to hand the picture to him, then he showed the audience and signed it after the show ended. Made my drat night.

I prolly should have brought a different marker, but the act of handing it to him and getting it signed was amazing by itself.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Zeikier posted:

Went to see Devin Townsend at the Ready Room this past Tuesday with Oni and Thank You Scientist. Didn't expect him to ever come closer to here than Chicago. The show kicked rear end, the smaller venue was perfect for how he plays and interacts with the audience.

I drew something for him to sign. Wasn't sure if I'd get a signature, but during the finale he noticed it, we excitedly mouthed words at each other until he motioned to hand the picture to him, then he showed the audience and signed it after the show ended. Made my drat night.

I prolly should have brought a different marker, but the act of handing it to him and getting it signed was amazing by itself.

Ha, that's cool - Devin is a nice dude. I remember drunkenly chatting to him when he came to London, poor guy was sober so I must have sounded more retarded than usual.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zeikier posted:

Your drawing is awesome and now I'm super jealous.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Turdsdown Tom posted:

hey metal friends, quick question for you. a friend and I were talking about CKY the other day, which is one of my favorite "sit and groove" bands of all time. we couldn't seem to figure out what genre to call them. would you consider them stoner metal? or alt rock? I've always personally considered them to be just on the inside of the metal spectrum. they're way too hard and heavy (mostly) to be considered alt rock and even too much for hard rock.

The consensus seems to be "who the fucks knows" and people just call them heavy or alternative metal. Definitely a metal not a rock band though imo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oldstench posted:

Didn't Ghost Bath pretend to be from China?

Yeah, so they didn't have to admit they were from North Dakota

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Based solely on 96 Quite Bitter Beings I'd go with alt metal a la System of a Down or Deftones, which is really a rock subgenre.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been listening to random tech death today to try and find a new band and I swear to god every album is either a 4 minute synth intro or an immediate onslaught of a triggered drum blastbeat with a nonsensical riff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vargatron posted:

I've been listening to random tech death today to try and find a new band and I swear to god every album is either a 4 minute synth intro or an immediate onslaught of a triggered drum blastbeat with a nonsensical riff.

well, what else did you expect?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Spanish Manlove posted:

well, what else did you expect?

I know, I know. Guess I should look for something more like progressive death metal.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

I swear to god every album is either a 4 minute synth intro or an immediate onslaught of a triggered drum blastbeat with a nonsensical riff.

willowtip.txt

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Vargatron posted:

What type of poo poo are you looking for beyond just "tech death"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoII5I1dAWM

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

I'm still waiting on that new Plague Widow record.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I love Plague Widow.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Seeing Sabaton in a few hours and looking forward to some cheesy fun!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
From Pentagram's Facebook page:

quote:

PENTAGRAM PRESS RELEASE: 5/10/17
As was the case for the recently completed US shows, vocalist Bobby Liebling will not appear with Pentagram for previously booked European dates this summer.
To elaborate, Bobby called on April 17 saying he had been admitted to the hospital. He called again on April 19, this time after being transferred to a Maryland detention facility. He's now awaiting a preliminary hearing at which time it will be determined if a follow-up on any alleged charges are necessary. An update will be published when information is available. The band will be fulfilling all currently booked appearances with 36-year mainstay guitarist Victor Griffin performing all vocals.
A PERSONAL NOTE FROM THE BAND
The outpouring of support on our recent US dates was outstanding! Your energy was matched ten-fold and encouraged us to carry on and deliver what many have called, even by skeptics, some of the best Pentagram performances they've seen. Thank you!
We have the best fans in the world and if not for you, the legacy of this band would have died long ago. We won't let you down now. The music lives on and as we move forward, we reiterate the lyrics of "Curious Volume":
“In this venture death waits in the shadows, but in survival the volume won't die!”
Sincerely,
Victor, Greg, & Pete

Bobby is a mess.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i saw them like 4 years ago and he looked like a loving walking corpse.

i cant imagine he's gotten much better. (he hasn't)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he needs to be in a nursing home with on-site psychiatric staff

he's gonna wind up dying in jail otherwise

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Seeing Sabaton in a few hours and looking forward to some cheesy fun!

Saw them at New England Hardcore & Metal Fest last month (they were the headliners for the metal side), they put on a great show.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

counterpoint: they're terrible

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
leaving this album here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4FPeenyTU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

one more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwGRfDcugQ

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I'm really enjoying the new Artificial Brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNkGupr4fg

Also, holy gently caress, how did I not know these guys were from Long Island?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Klaaz posted:

counterpoint: they're terrible

:yeah:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Holy poo poo, Sabaton was so much fun! Battle Beast was great too, but Sabaton was nuts.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I will interview Dimmu Borgir in a couple of hours. Besides the joke questions of "how come you suck so much?", anything else?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Why did they never replace Vortex for his awesome clean vocals?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Non Serviam posted:

I will interview Dimmu Borgir in a couple of hours. Besides the joke questions of "how come you suck so much?", anything else?

Boxers or Briefs?

Favorite kind of flower?

What are your pets names? If you don't have a pet, what would you name one if you had one?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ask them if they think there's any great innovations left to make in Metal as a whole.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

ask galder how old his dad is. if his dad is old, ask him if that makes him an old man's child

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
cool shouty death metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6xwCU-r7Y

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

The consensus seems to be "who the fucks knows" and people just call them heavy or alternative metal. Definitely a metal not a rock band though imo.

Speaking of CKY, I was surprised they had put out a new song this month and have a new album coming too. I thought this part of an interview with Ginsburg to be weird though:

quote:

With the new record ready to drop, Ginsburg says he views The Phoenix as a direct follow-up to 2002's Infiltrate•Destroy•Rebuild, glossing over the band's mid-period albums. "I would put it right after IDR and ignore the other two records, honestly." Similar in spirit to that benchmark release, The Phoenix's distinction displays CKY's rare regeneration. The band, now more confident in their abilities and more grateful for their opportunities, are ready to show the world their miraculous rebirth.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the gently caress out of IDR, but An Answer Can Be Found and Carver City have got some great tracks on them IMO (particularly the latter). I hope they don't simply ape the IDR sound too much simply because they can.

And I'm not sure how I feel about the new vocals. Everything else sounds like CKY (which isnt bad) but ehhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Hc-9w2vqE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nordick posted:

Unrelated, new Havukruunu album is now out and you can grab a digital copy from Bandcamp for a paltry 3,50€.

https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/album/kelle-surut-soi

It's really loving good.

EDIT: Holy poo poo it is really, REALLY goddamn good. gently caress.

EXTREMELY my poo poo, strong AOTY-so-far contender, thanks for the heads-up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm a booker for a small summer festival, and because it's all DIY we usually only get up and coming psych and metal bands. This year we're putting these on:

https://soundcloud.com/hadrondk

They're pretty good imho and have gotten a lot better since they started out. Be interesting to see what they put out in a few years.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't find the link now, but Lars recently said in an interview that if he had to pick a replacement drummer for Metallica, he'd go Phill Rudd.

I dunno, I don't think Rudd's got the chops to be able to do stuff like One? Metallica drums aren't exactly Portnoy level and Phil has a great feel, but I haven't heard Rudd do thrashy stuff.

Personally, I reckon it'd be a shitload of fun to have Hoglan playing drums for Metallica. Let him spice it up a bit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

H13 posted:

Can't find the link now, but Lars recently said in an interview that if he had to pick a replacement drummer for Metallica, he'd go Phill Rudd.

I dunno, I don't think Rudd's got the chops to be able to do stuff like One? Metallica drums aren't exactly Portnoy level and Phil has a great feel, but I haven't heard Rudd do thrashy stuff.

Personally, I reckon it'd be a shitload of fun to have Hoglan playing drums for Metallica. Let him spice it up a bit.

I haven't heard Lars Ullrich play thrashy stuff either to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

I haven't heard Lars Ullrich play thrashy stuff either to be fair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESicEzUtqk&t=4984s

At least not for a long loving time...
(Edit: Wow, that was a bit beyond him even then. More reason to get Hoglan in!)