Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can also just directly taste a teaspoon of olive oil instead of trying to use a bunch of other metrics. You'll be able to tell the good stuff from the bad pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

You can also just directly taste a teaspoon of olive oil instead of trying to use a bunch of other metrics. You'll be able to tell the good stuff from the bad pretty easily.

Yeah but you can only do this once before the grocery bans you

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I switched to california olive oil after reading how many foreign-sourced brands are likely to non-olive oil content

its pretty reasonably priced at costco

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Williams-Sonoma always used to have a little set up of olive oils and vinegars to taste in their stores with little bits of bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hakimashou posted:

Williams-Sonoma always used to have a little set up of olive oils and vinegars to taste in their stores with little bits of bread.

When was this? I haven't seen a setup like that at WS in the last 5 years

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
just do what my last roommate did and fry your chicken breasts in a quarter cup of my expensive sesame oil.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Steve Yun posted:

When was this? I haven't seen a setup like that at WS in the last 5 years

More than 5 years ago I think, I haven't seen it myself in ages.

Maybe 10 years ago? It used to be a reason in itself to drop into a Williams-Sonoma.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tendales posted:

just do what my last roommate did and fry your chicken breasts in a quarter cup of my expensive sesame oil.

:laffo:

roommates are the worst.

"oh yeah your knife isn't working real good I think its messed up"

"You uh, cut a bunch of aluminum foil with it...."

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

That Works posted:

roommates are the worst.

"oh yeah your knife isn't working real good I think its messed up"

"You uh, cut a bunch of aluminum foil with it...."

"WTF happened to my knife?"

"Oh, yeah, I had to tighten a screw..."

:psyduck:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rgocs posted:

"WTF happened to my knife?"

"Oh, yeah, I had to tighten a screw..."

:psyduck:

"Dude I threw away that tub in the back of the fridge, it smelled funny"

"You mean the one with the big sign on it saying do not throw away, ever?"

"Yeah it smelled kinda bad when I opened it"

"That was a sourdough starter that I had been culturing consistently for 7 years"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That Works posted:

"Dude I threw away that tub in the back of the fridge, it smelled funny"

"You mean the one with the big sign on it saying do not throw away, ever?"

"Yeah it smelled kinda bad when I opened it"

"That was a sourdough starter that I had been culturing consistently for 7 years"

Hahaha this is why I give mine away as often as possible for backups.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I watched that video and they did look really, really good. Pro move to use sub rolls and two hot dogs per bun, which makes eating one of those bastards an actual meal.

One thing I wasn't a fan of, however, was the instruction to "brown" the ground beef in three cups of liquid. C'mon.

(also to use extra virgin oil to sautee the onions, what a waste)

Loopoo posted:

Cumin and Cocoa? :nono:

I will definitely be modifying his sauce recipe, although the dude's business was in Detroit I believe and their chili sauce is "Mediterranean inspired" which means it's soupy with cinnamon and poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is Chinese hot mustard actually from China?

I know it's just dry mustard powder and water, but is it part of real Chinese cuisine?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Loopoo posted:

...Gonna start branching out more into baking / desserts ...

Prepare two scrambled eggs. When they are close to getting done add a mashed banana (use a fork and a ripe banana) and some berries. I typically add three cut dates too. Cook for little longer. Serve with Cinnamon and Honey.

Best breakfast ever.

I'm certain I did not come up with this recipe. Does it have a name or can I just call it "deconstructed pancake".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:barf:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does anyone have any recommendations for desserts that are both low cholestrol and good for diabetics? I'm trying to improve the diet of the household but the primary problem right now would be an excessive amount of sweet teeth. I can cook all the healthy salmon and skinless chicken in the world and the maltesers still sneak out at the end of the night!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I learned a tonne about EVOO, I had no idea. I've been cooking with that in almost everything, cause growing up it's what I saw my mum mainly use. Had no idea I'd be burning all the good poo poo in it. So EVOO is mainly used for salad dressings and things that don't get cooked at a high heat?

I've started using ghee in curries and that stuff makes them taste god drat amazing. Especially when you're frying it, it smells so buttery and good and keeps everything from burning.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deathbot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for desserts that are both low cholestrol and good for diabetics? I'm trying to improve the diet of the household but the primary problem right now would be an excessive amount of sweet teeth. I can cook all the healthy salmon and skinless chicken in the world and the maltesers still sneak out at the end of the night!

I'm quite a fan of Jello Sugar-Free Cook and Serve pudding. Comes in chocolate and vanilla. No sugar, no cholesterol. There are more flavors of the Instant variety, but they're not as good as the ones you cook.

BTW dietary cholesterol doesn't contribute to blood cholesterol levels, just sayingggggggggggggg

Loopoo posted:

I learned a tonne about EVOO, I had no idea. I've been cooking with that in almost everything, cause growing up it's what I saw my mum mainly use. Had no idea I'd be burning all the good poo poo in it. So EVOO is mainly used for salad dressings and things that don't get cooked at a high heat?

I've started using ghee in curries and that stuff makes them taste god drat amazing. Especially when you're frying it, it smells so buttery and good and keeps everything from burning.

Yep, EVOO is meant for raw applications.

Ghee is awesome for cooking, so feel free to use that to cook everything, not just curries.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd use it for everything but I'm worried that it's not the most healthy thing to cook with all the time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's just fat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, butter/ghee has been unfairly demonized.

You CAN do some cooking with olive oil, as long as it's for low-temperature applications.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Loopoo posted:

I'd use it for everything but I'm worried that it's not the most healthy thing to cook with all the time.

It's good fat.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

All cooking oils are pure fat, but ghee has a higher saturated fat content, which can raise your bad cholesterol numbers. Talk to your doctor, but I think your instincts are correct — generally, it's better to prefer vegetable oils that are low in saturated fat like olive oil and canola oil.

I'd add that refining olive oil (sometimes sold as "light" or "extra light" olive oil) removes the flavor extra virgin olive oil is valued for, but makes it more suitable for grilling, sauteing, and frying while retaining the oil's healthy fat profile (and it's usually cheaper than extra virgin olive oil).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Cheers guys. Made a curry tonight and I decided not to use a nonstick pan, like I always use. Was so weird seeing fond, as nonstick never produced it. Felt so good scraping that poo poo up and deglazing it. Making bolognese tomorrow and can't wait to deglaze the poo poo out of it with red wine.

I've been cooking from scratch a lot lately, and I really am enjoying it. Sometimes the food doesn't turn out the best, cause people who upload the recipes have different tastes to my own, but 80% of the time I'm left with a delicious dinner and can't complain. Gonna start branching out more into baking / desserts, I'm gonna tackle making the strudel from Inglorious Basterds.

I just hate how much mess it creates. Gotta wipe down all the countertops / stove after cooking and clean all the pans / utensils. Blah.

Pastry is the love and the life.

If you want a primer in baking, I can't recommend Rose Beranbaum enough. Her books are gooood.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How long would fresh fish last in the car before going bad? There's an Asian market near work with some delicious looking fish at the fish counter, but it's an hour from home.

The Asian markets in my town are crap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
get a small ice chest or a soft-sided cooler bag and they will probably give you some ice for free

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How long would fresh fish last in the car before going bad? There's an Asian market near work with some delicious looking fish at the fish counter, but it's an hour from home.

The Asian markets in my town are crap.

Bring a cooler, you'll be fine. w/o a cooler, if you're going to cook it all the way, you'll most likely be fine, but tbh a cooler is so easy to bring, just bring one. Frozen cold packs in a not-destroyed cooler can stand the heat of summer in a car for at least a day, if not more.

edit: or yeah ask them for ice, or if your work has an ice machine, bring a bag of ice out when you leave.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a soft sided cooler bag and I regularly ask grocery stores for ice, they're always happy to throw some in.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

All y'all need to get off you high horses, cause that's a dope recipe for a cheap grad student who never learned how to make a sweet breakfast. Reminds me of Kaiserschmarrn.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

theHUNGERian posted:

All y'all need to get off you high horses, cause that's a dope recipe for a cheap grad student who never learned how to make a sweet breakfast. Reminds me of Kaiserschmarrn.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How can you not know how to make like a waffle or pancakes or a crepe something and then put sweet things like fruit or syrup on it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

theHUNGERian posted:

Do you know what deconstructed means? Do you understand that a pancake is not made up of eggs and fruit?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

deathbot posted:

I'm not good at diabetes diet advice, but can diabetics eat fruit? You could go like fruit + cheese or something like that (except for cholesterol...).

Fresh tofu is a common dessert in asia, but it probably takes a decent amount of skill to make. Usually served with syrup but maybe you could use something else? Coconut milk? Crushed fruit? You make the soy milk, then curdle it just right so it sets up into a soft custard-like thing.

Can you eat sweet potato? If you pressure cook sweet potato with a bit of baking soda and just the right amount of water, they caramelize very nicely. I'd be happy to eat just caramelized sweet potatoes as a dessert. I can't remember where I found that recipe unfortunately so I don't remember how much baking soda/water/time is needed. It might have been in that modernist food book?

Edit: Ok I'm stretching a bit here, but how about popcorn and a nice digestif?

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 12, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

his dish deconstructed into srambled eggs and fruit would be pretty good imo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

deathbot posted:

I've always wanted to try the recipe that came with my instant pot for Chinese fermented rice so if someone wants to pipe in that it's good stuff...

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Do you know what deconstructed means? Do you understand that a pancake is not made up of eggs and fruit?

Obviously not. You're still missing out.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 12, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Diabetes (dietarily) is basically carb counting: the disease, as your insulin dose is based on your estimated net carbohydrate intake. Fruit, sweet potato, and popcorn (arguably booze as well) get 99%+ of their caloric content from carbohydrate.

Of course the "low cholesterol" stipulation makes it difficult if it's read as "low fat" since there are only three macronutrients.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

All cooking oils are pure fat, but ghee has a higher saturated fat content, which can raise your bad cholesterol numbers. Talk to your doctor, but I think your instincts are correct — generally, it's better to prefer vegetable oils that are low in saturated fat like olive oil and canola oil.

Turns out ghee isn't too bad as long as I don't overdo it. A teaspoon thrown into the pan for whatever I plan on cooking seems to be perfectly okay, especially since that'll become part of a meal that ends up being 5 or 6 servings.

Liquid Communism posted:

Pastry is the love and the life.

If you want a primer in baking, I can't recommend Rose Beranbaum enough. Her books are gooood.

Will give that a read, cheers dude. Works perfectly for my strudel adventure too, I love pastries like that. I'm really craving apple pie, but I think I'll stick to my British roots and just make an apple crumble instead with custard.

----------------

Completely unrelated: I've got a pot of bolognese slowly ticking, it's on the 2nd lowest heat setting (gently caress electric hobs), which keeps it on a very very low simmer. Lowest heat setting seems to put it on a just-slightly-above-keep-warm function, where it's not hot enough to simmer, but it's not cool enough to let things get cold. I want to go to bed now and plan on sleeping for roughly 8 hours. Can I leave the pot cooking whilst I sleep without fear of it burning? I stuck aluminium foil on the top and wedged the lid down on top to ensure no steam escapes and dries it out, so I'm figuring I should be good to go, right? Bolognese will stay wet, so poo poo shouldn't burn?

Or am I gonna have to wake up 4 hours from now to turn it off and check on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Ah, sorry guys! What I meant by 'low cholesterol' was low trans/saturated fats. But honestly, the diabetes is more important (and dangerous), so if people can just think of diabetic desserts that are tasty that's more than welcome! Mostly I've been cooking apple crumble with various healthy substitutes.