Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

evenworse username posted:

I thought the deal was that this is the time remnant he created to help stop Zoom, that originally died but now survived due to Flashpoint.

So it's too late to avoid creating the remnant that becomes Savitar, unless of course Barry goes back in time to oh god make it stop

They never said that and from the dialogue at the beginning of the episode they make it clear that he has yet to be created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Has Barry considered just swearing to never use time remnants or would that be too easy a solution (and too hard on the writers when they need a source of cheap "Barry's gonna' die!" drama)?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I actually liked this episode and most of season 3, but my favorite part is that the DA's entire case against Heatmonger hinged on Barry's testimony. They couldn't find anything else to build a case against the guy widely known as Heatmonger to the general public, and when the whole thing falls through and he's released less than 24 hours later he immediately burns down an office building. No wonder this whole city goes to poo poo by 2024.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I still love this show but gods drat it's got some of the stupidest people imaginable in the cast

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Wally: We're brothers!

(Bart adorably checks his hand for melanin)

Wally: Oh and Iris, that girl you're engaged to? She's my sister.

Bart: Wait...

I still don't get how Flashpoint is supposed to have made Barry turn into Savitar. Did the Speedforce dudes just decide to stop killing off time remnants after Barry's time-fuckery? Isn't that their main job?

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 11, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

teamcharlie posted:

Wally: We're brothers!

(Bart adorably checks his hand for melanin)

Wally: Oh and Iris, that girl you're engaged to? She's my sister.

Bart: Wait...

Side note: I still don't get how Flashpoint is supposed to have made Barry turn into Savitar. Did the Speedforce dudes just decide to stop killing off time remnants after Barry's time-fuckery? Isn't that their main job?

Well, the speedforce... poo poo.

Ok, so the When the Black Flash....
gently caress.

So Barry used a time remnant to... fight , poo poo.

Uhhhh.... gently caress it!!!

:flashfact: 8one6, it's me, you, from the future!
:c00l: We can travel through time?
:flashfact: You need to not try to explain how the Flash s3 works. You'll just look dumb.
:c00l: Ok, but wouldn't you coming back to warn yourself about not posting this prevent the need for you coming back.
:flashfact: No time to explain!

:flashfact: Oh good, everything is fine no...

quote:

:doom: It's me, the poo poo post, I'm a post remnant!
:flashfact: Wait, how does that...

quote:

:doom: Forums force. I ain't gotta explain poo poo!

quote:

:zoomed:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I both liked and disliked that episode.

Yeah, it was pretty fun, but at this stage of the season and with everything at stake, it felt really off, tonally speaking. I suppose there is something to be said for breaking up the seriousness with a bit of humour, but you can do that without a whole episode. I just think it would have been a better episode mid-season.

Also yeah I know speedforce.gif but it made zero sense that Barry dying wouldn't stop him from becoming Savitar, but they can mind-wipe Barry and that affects him.

One thing which occurred to me was the conversation between Barry and Iris at the end, where Barry talks about needing to use his tragic past to make him more heroic. I wonder if that's going to be the key to stopping Savitar. The Speed Force Bazooka (which is a genius name btw) seems a bit too obvious at this point.

teamcharlie posted:

I still don't get how Flashpoint is supposed to have made Barry turn into Savitar. Did the Speedforce dudes just decide to stop killing off time remnants after Barry's time-fuckery? Isn't that their main job?
I don't think it was Flashpoint, they explained it in the episode as a paradoxical situation. Barry created time remnants to help defeat Savitar, and one of those becomes Savitar (although did they explain that as being due to Flashpoint? I may have tuned out.) The reason he brought up Flashpoint was to point out that Barry loving around with time causes a lot of inconsistencies, such as Thawn still being around despite Eddie dying and wiping him from existence.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

irlZaphod posted:

Also yeah I know speedforce.gif but it made zero sense that Barry dying wouldn't stop him from becoming Savitar, but they can mind-wipe Barry and that affects him.
To be fair, Savitar may have been bluffing on that. He knows first-hand that Barry has no confidence when it comes to understanding the rules of time travel, since it never seems to have the intended result.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I thought the episode was one of the best of the season. The only way it could have been better is if Savitar forgot all the bad stuff that happened to him and became happy too.

Or if team Flash got some brains and decided to defeat Savitar while Bart was still clueless and restoring Barry's memory afterwards.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait , why does Savitar want to kill Iris? How is he a time remnant?

None of this makes any sense and it is all really really really dumb.

Who made Savitars's suit? Just like stop that person.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It makes perfect sense. Iris has to die because Savitar is a time remnant Barry creates to fight Savitar because he killed Iris.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So when on this timeline does Savitar get thrown in the speedforce jail? Is it after he kills Iris? If so, and everybody knows about the loop at that point, why did they even bother doing that?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it's 8 years from now, or possibly 7 because the Flash writers can't count.

At this point it's probably best to just not think about the plot holes.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2017

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm along for the ride and enjoy it fine, I just wonder how you can write such a nonsensical plot. It really doesn't make sense. It's possible I'm just too dense, but there's speedforce.gif and there's this - where the whole story, the whole plot, just doesn't make any sense. The main villain, the whole point of the season, doesn't stand up to any thought or scrutiny. I don't understand why I still want to watch. And I can't understand how something like this gets out of the writers room. There's silly like Negan's immortality on TWD but I can't think of something else I've watched that is just so contradictory and nonsensical as a plot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, this makes zero sense. Our Savitar was locked in the Speed Force, right? They established that, the current present day Savitar broke out of the Speed Force prison. An in the future, Barry finally managed to lock Savitar in the Speed Force prison after Svaitar killed Iris, Joe, and Wally.

So if Savitar was a time remnant created to fight the original Savitar, what the gently caress is going on? That means there were two Savitars, right? The first Savitar that got thrown into prison, and then the time remnant Barry created to kill Savitar, who later became Savitar, but broke out of prison. Why was the time remnant imprisoned, if the first Savitar was the guy who did all the killing? And what happened to the first Savitar?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, this makes zero sense. Our Savitar was locked in the Speed Force, right? They established that, the current present day Savitar broke out of the Speed Force prison. An in the future, Barry finally managed to lock Savitar in the Speed Force prison after Svaitar killed Iris, Joe, and Wally.

So if Savitar was a time remnant created to fight the original Savitar, what the gently caress is going on? That means there were two Savitars, right? The first Savitar that got thrown into prison, and then the time remnant Barry created to kill Savitar, who later became Savitar, but broke out of prison. Why was the time remnant imprisoned, if the first Savitar was the guy who did all the killing? And what happened to the first Savitar?

Psychepath posted:

It's a closed loop.

Basically, it's a paradox. Barry created a time remnant to help defeat Savitar, and that time remnant ultimately becomes Savitar.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

irlZaphod posted:

Basically, it's a paradox. Barry created a time remnant to help defeat Savitar, and that time remnant ultimately becomes Savitar.

No, it's not a closed loop, there's a massive gaping break in the loop. What happened to the first Savitar? If they had actually defeated Savitar, and then the leftover time remnant went crazy, stole the Savitar armor, and went back in time to restart the loop, then that would be a closed loop. But that's not what they said.

Future Barry said he couldn't defeat Savitar. If what he meant by that was he actually could defeat Savitar, there was no Savitar for awhile, but then everybody was such a huge douchebag to the time remnant that he went crazy and decided to be Savitar to get back at them, then that's bullshit. That's an absurd level of just flat out lying to the audience.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I take it back, even that doesn't make sense, because which Savitar killed everybody? If the first Savitar killed Iris Joe, and Wally, then why the gently caress was the time remnant thrown in speed jail? And if the time remnant killed them, then why would he go back in time to become a Savitar that failed in order to create a new time remnant that would go through the whole thing over again? Especially when he'd already had his revenge in the future?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's only 1 Savitar.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There is no "first" Savitar. It was always the time remnant created to fight Savitar. That's what a closed time loop is. It's Terminator.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Someone post the clip from the Star Trek TNG finale where Picard in his jammies explains a time paradox to Riker.

IT'S JUST LIKE THE CHICKEN AND THE EGG, WILL! THE CHICKEN AND THE EGG!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

There is no "first" Savitar. It was always the time remnant created to fight Savitar. That's what a closed time loop is. It's Terminator.

No! Because there were two Savitars! The Savitar that the Time Remnant fought, and the Time Remnant. If Barry didn't actually kill Savitar at some point, then there are two Savitars in the future, and if Barry did kill Savitar, then the entire episode in the future where everybody acted like Savitar was never defeated was complete bullshit.

It's not like Terminator at all, because Terminator made sense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Savitar has to do something to make Barry create time remnants for me to buy the closed loop argument. Like set fire to every building in town at the same time. Or Barry needs to create a bunch of remnants of himself to fire up the Speed Force Bazooka or whatever

Otherwise it's not like Terminator because it's not like John Connor or Sarah went on to create Skynet on their own

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 11, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's like Terminator because John Connor sent Reese back from the future to protect his mother and ensure his conception. John was only conceived because he sent Reese back in time, but if that's the case then how was he ever conceived?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

It's like Terminator because John Connor sent Reese back from the future to protect his mother and ensure his conception. John was only conceived because he sent Reese back in time, but if that's the case then how was he ever conceived?

But there was no way for them to break the loop since they aren't involved in the creation of Skynet or Judgement Day. Barry is told "hey in the future you make the thing that becomes me" so he literally knows how to break the loop

Not to mention the only way Terminator makes sense is if you have branching/parallel timelines and not a single one. And that's basically TSCC anyway.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 11, 2017

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
flash point dot j peg

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

But there was no way for them to break the loop since they aren't involved in the creation of Skynet or Judgement Day. Barry is told "hey in the future you make the thing that becomes me" so he literally knows how to break the loop

Not to mention the only way Terminator makes sense is if you have branching/parallel timelines and not a single one. And that's basically TSCC anyway.
OK but that's not the it's "like" Terminator. It's analogous in terms of John's conception, nothing to do with Skynet or robots. We're talking an action in the future having an effect on something in the past.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
so this season's gonna end on a cliffhanger introducing Bart, right

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

OK but that's not the it's "like" Terminator. It's analogous in terms of John's conception, nothing to do with Skynet or robots. We're talking an action in the future having an effect on something in the past.

You could easily argue that Kyle wasn't the original father. My favorite explanation is that John's dad is some filthy trucker that Sarah met at the diner and John grew up to be a big manly man's man that could crush robots with his bare hands. Then Kyle came back and messed everything up. John is now a whiny little brat but is super well trained and has advanced knowledge about how to take them down.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

irlZaphod posted:

Yes, we all understand the concept of a time loop. Here's the problem with saying what's going on in the Flash is a timeloop

When did the siwtchover take place? Savitar existed. Barry created a time remnant to fight Savitar. When did the time remnant takeover being Savitar from the Savitar that already existed when he was created, and what happened to that existing Savitar?

There is no way to answer that question in a way that makes sense

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There's nothing in Terminator that says that it's anything but a closed loop without start or end, simply existing as it always was; anything else is just fan theory and isn't borne out by the movie.

Same with Savitar. Savitar always just exists. It's important to note that Savitar's appearance on the show isn't chronological. Savitar first shows up as a projection from the version that's trapped in the Speed Force. That Savitar is from further on in the timeline. Wally lets him out and now he's there physically but due to "gently caress you speed force" mechanics came out in our "present", his past. He goes on to kill Iris in order to cause Barry enough emotional trauma to create a speed remnant that goes batty and becomes Savitar; four years later Barry traps him in the speed force.

We ultimately don't know what happens to the Savitar we're following right now who is at the end of his personal timeline. He doesn't become the time remnant that then becomes Savitar, so presumably there's an endpoint for him we haven't seen yet. Technically he should already know his future if Barry and team are the ones that defeat him, though.

The bit about Barry just killing himself (or not making a time remnant) NOT breaking the cycle seems absurd but, as pointed out with Thawne, it isn't that cut and dried because "gently caress you speed force AND time travel". It's not as much of a stretch in logic as a bunch of other poo poo on the show.

No idea how they're going to resolve this. All season they've been going "we need to change the future gently caress nothing we do actually changes the future"; Savitar says that simply killing himself won't stop it either. If the answer is "Barry thinks they can't change the future and then he goes faster and does change the future" it's going to be poo poo. Given how the show has gone I'm still expecting them to go this route and just ignore everything they said about it not being possible, but it'd be nice if there was something completely lateral and out of the blue that fixed it.

Despite it all, I still think this might be the strongest season. S1 was carried by Stab-Happy-Wells a lot, but S3 is pretty decent on its own.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mortanis posted:

There's nothing in Terminator that says that it's anything but a closed loop without start or end, simply existing as it always was; anything else is just fan theory and isn't borne out by the movie.

If you are talking the first movie and only the first movie yes. Literally every other movie and the show mess things around

Basically that's the only way time travel works. Talk about how it works as little as possible

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If it's a time loop they need to show it happening the same a million times and the final episode is tweaking time just enough to not make it exist. I guess if they kill Savitar like every other evil speedster we won't have Kid Flash anymore.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They should have had Barry create the time remnants when he had amnesia and didn't know how to control his powers. That would have taken care of all explanations and we'd get a filler episode of a bunch of Barrys all hanging out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes, we all understand the concept of a time loop. Here's the problem with saying what's going on in the Flash is a timeloop

When did the siwtchover take place? Savitar existed. Barry created a time remnant to fight Savitar. When did the time remnant takeover being Savitar from the Savitar that already existed when he was created, and what happened to that existing Savitar?

There is no way to answer that question in a way that makes sense

Barry creates Time Remnants to fight Savitar -> Savitar is defeated and a Time Remnant remains -> Time Remnant becomes Savitar and gets trapped in the Speed Force -> Events of S3, Iris Dies -> repeat.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I stopped watching the show 19 episodes ago and after reading spoilers and the last few pages I stand by that decision. I mean, they seriously did another evil speedster with a secret identity and convoluted back story that somehow makes less sense than Zoom? How is that possible?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
the only good thing barry allen ever did was run so god damned fast he died

e: true of both the show and the comics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Barry creates Time Remnants to fight Savitar -> Savitar is defeated and a Time Remnant remains -> Time Remnant becomes Savitar and gets trapped in the Speed Force -> Events of S3, Iris Dies -> repeat.

OK, but as I said, that makes everyone in the future's refusal to tell Barry that absolutely insane.

And it leaves the question of when did Iris et al. die, because there's no way to answer that that doesn't gently caress up character motivations pretty bad

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes, we all understand the concept of a time loop.

Obviously not because you keep asking where it starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, but as I said, that makes everyone in the future's refusal to tell Barry that absolutely insane.

And it leaves the question of when did Iris et al. die, because there's no way to answer that that doesn't gently caress up character motivations pretty bad

The nature of the Time Remnant is the big missing piece. We don't know. It could be a plot hole (possible) or no one actually remembers of knew about the Time Remnant until more than 8 years after Iris dies.

• Locked thread